ginnywings
February 5, 2021, 12:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

He would need to have been released during an active transfer window for him to be able to sign for another club as a free agent outside of said window. Otherwise you would have clubs releasing and signing players all year long.

That's what I suspected but wasn't sure of.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 144
malkamalka
February 5, 2021, 12:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
So, who's player is he?

If he's Hereford's then send him back. If he gets his contract cancelled, then why can't we can sign him as a free agent?

Still, we need to be on top of this sort of thing.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 144
ex-merseymariner
February 5, 2021, 12:27pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9

He would need to have been released during an active transfer window for him to be able to sign for another club as a free agent outside of said window. Otherwise you would have clubs releasing and signing players all year long.

If he was told by the National League, that he had been released, my guess is that he is 'phoning whoever told him that, as his argument is that he only wasn't signed by GTFC because they were focusing on other signings, and thus completed other deals on deadline day, relying on his status as a free agent.    Easy to say we should have signed him anyway (and I agree we should) BUT we were obviously confident that there was no rush.  This is why I don't think its completely dead yet; surely between Hereford, ourselves and the authorities we can sort this out?  
It might be last move of his career!

I'd be using the LJL contract matter as an indication that Coke could have been let down similarly tbf.... But remain a bit worried by how we lost out re Vernam though as a precedent.  Haven't we learned?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 144
toontown
February 5, 2021, 12:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

If he was told by the National League, that he had been released, my guess is that he is 'phoning whoever told him that, as his argument is that he only wasn't signed by GTFC because they were focusing on other signings, and thus completed other deals on deadline day, relying on his status as a free agent.    Easy to say we should have signed him anyway (and I agree we should) BUT we were obviously confident that there was no rush.  This is why I don't think its completely dead yet; surely between Hereford, ourselves and the authorities we can sort this out?  
It might be last move of his career!

I'd be using the LJL contract matter as an indication that Coke could have been let down similarly tbf.... But remain a bit worried by how we lost out re Vernam though as a precedent.  Haven't we learned?

We do our learning on the pitch. Except we dont
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 144
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 5, 2021, 1:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Why didn't Hurst just sign him on deadline day instead of waiting a couple of days more? What could Coke have shown in those 2 days that would have changed Hursts thinking of him?

It seems GTFC have a lot of grey areas that they need to repaint black and white. Hopefully when the takeover goes through, the new owners won't let such stupid mistakes happen again!

How many people sat in the GTFC office and failed to do their job in order for this to go fornicating breasts up? Its inexcusable. They had almost a month for someone.........anyone to make one little check on Coke's availability.

Really is unbelievable. If I was taking over the club I would get rid of everyone in the offices and start anew. Too many in there extracting the urine.

This is what I said yesterday. Hurst admitted as much in interview. If they had simply got their act together and signed him on Monday none of this would be relevant.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 144
ska face
February 5, 2021, 1:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
So that’s Vernam leaving on a free because the club didn’t offer him new terms in time, Moshni announced as having been released before it even happened, now a player we wanted to sign being unable to because the club didn’t do the checks in time.

Even one of these would normally be a sacking offence, but three in about 6 months? Just insane that these are the people running the club. Honestly, most Sunday league sides are better run.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 144
Mighty_Mariner
February 5, 2021, 1:46pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from malkamalka
So, who's player is he?

If he's Hereford's then send him back. If he gets his contract cancelled, then why can't we can sign him as a free agent?

Still, we need to be on top of this sort of thing.

My understanding is he was on non-contract terms with Hereford so would only need to have given 7 days notice if he wanted to move on. Hereford subsequently waived this notice period which they confirmed in their statement. Even though he was on non-contract terms with Hereford, he would still be registered as a player with the National League. This is the bit that didn't get closed off I believe. If they had cancelled his registration before the window closed, Giles would now be able to sign for anyone as a free agent. Because, for whatever reason, his registration wasn't cancelled during the window, he is now unable to sign for another team until the next transfer window opens.

I think Giles/Town need to look at the reasons why his registration with the NL wasn't cancelled in time and look at the legal options of that, as he is effectively being denied the opportunity to earn a living.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 144
diehardmariner
February 5, 2021, 1:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,611
Gold Stars: 538

My understanding is he was on non-contract terms with Hereford so would only need to have given 7 days notice if he wanted to move on. Hereford subsequently waived this notice period which they confirmed in their statement. Even though he was on non-contract terms with Hereford, he would still be registered as a player with the National League. This is the bit that didn't get closed off I believe. If they had cancelled his registration before the window closed, Giles would now be able to sign for anyone as a free agent. Because, for whatever reason, his registration wasn't cancelled during the window, he is now unable to sign for another team until the next transfer window opens.

I think Giles/Town need to look at the reasons why his registration with the NL wasn't cancelled in time and look at the legal options of that, as he is effectively being denied the opportunity to earn a living.

Fully agree.  The contrasting statements from Gowling and the situation with other contracts at Hereford, including LJL's, would back this up too.  It's unfair and as you've said denying someone a wage.  

ex-Merseymariner is also right about this could be his last move.  Certainly as a professional anyway.  We're 91st in the league system so the fact he was on trial with us says a lot about his current kerb appeal.  Below us the non-league system is in absolute chaos and could implode at any minute.

But this could all take time.  That's time were the lad is without an income, time were we're without a player we identified as a signing and also time ticking on his clock as a 35-year-old.  

We just don't learn.  We took the EFL advice at face value in the summer and it cost us arguably our best player.  We took advice that no-one else took around Covid-clauses and there's a huge risk it could cost us our Football League status.  Less than a week we were running around frantically trying to sort the mess out to sign LJL - surely whoever was processing the deal thought 'hmm, maybe just double check on the other player from the same club as this one....?'

Is it an individual to blame for these errors or is it more a case that there's such a level of micro-management going on that no-one is capable or confident to act on initiative.  Everyone makes mistakes, you learn from them.  But when you don't learn from them, it's the culture of the place.  John Fenty wanted the stadium to be his legacy, instead the legacy is one of a fear culture.  Good riddance.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 144
MarinerMal
February 5, 2021, 1:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Here we are again. Another mess with another player. How many is that now. It is a theme that runs through the Fenty years of "running" this club.

From Podge to Vernam to the raft of amatuers we signed in the summer to now Coke.

When will we learn to do our due diligence on players and act like the professional football club we are meant to be.

The quicker we can get Fenty away from this football club and into the hands of some people who want to run this club like a professional organisation the better we will be.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 144
forza ivano
February 5, 2021, 3:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265

sorry to doubt you Mighty, but that doesn't make sense. If that was the case then Mohsni couldn't have signed for Barnet as we released him outside a transfer window. Or am i missing summat?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 144
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Giles Coke training with Grimsby Town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.