Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Civvy at last

Did you go to many games then Les ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Pete used to take him.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 144
arryarryarry
January 21, 2021, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Had a snippet of info, apparently being signed on deal until the end of the season after impressing during his trial with town....don't shoot the messenger of it doesn't come to fruition, not doing a Wembley and saying it's 100%.

Might be signing two from Hereford  

https://saveedgarstreetforum.proboards.com/thread/6122/llj-coke

At this rate we would need a job lot of
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 144
headingly_mariner
January 21, 2021, 10:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
The shop would be a great short term signing. A proper mobile, physical presence to lead the line.

Hope that is true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 144
Croxton
January 21, 2021, 11:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Possible loan swap for Gibson, Sissay or Jackson?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 144
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 22, 2021, 10:21am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from arryarryarry

Might be signing two from Hereford  

https://saveedgarstreetforum.proboards.com/thread/6122/llj-coke

At this rate we would need a job lot of

I think there will always be speculation about ex players returning (Pearson, Nolan, Bogle, Toto, LJL etc) especially now Hurst is back, but I just can't imagine see seeing The Shop back here. Granted he's only 31, and to be fair 5 goals in 11 this season is good form but he has had his injury issues and he is playing in National League North for a reason. Not saying he couldn't do a job still but I always have a bit of caution when remembering other players who came back for seconds and they didn't too much of an impact.

Jamie Devitt, Simon Ford, Alan Connell, Marcus Marshall, Aidan Davison, Isaiah Rankin to name a few.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 144
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 22, 2021, 10:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I was never a Shop fan when he was here. Take away his penalties and his goal record was distinctly below average. But I knew why Hurst liked him and needs must when the devil drives. If he is fit and he could play 3/4 of the remaining games he could be a short term asset. Whether he would gel with Hanson I donโ€™t know but we might see some easier chances and get some other players in the box to take them.

Our Fleetwood lad looks promising as the midfield workaholic but we need some older heads as well now so the same applies with Coke.

โ€œIf all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.โ€
โ€• John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 144
Poojah
January 22, 2021, 10:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

I think there will always be speculation about ex players returning (Pearson, Nolan, Bogle, Toto, LJL etc) especially now Hurst is back, but I just can't imagine see seeing The Shop back here. Granted he's only 31, and to be fair 5 goals in 11 this season is good form but he has had his injury issues and he is playing in National League North for a reason. Not saying he couldn't do a job still but I always have a bit of caution when remembering other players who came back for seconds and they didn't too much of an impact.

Jamie Devitt, Simon Ford, Alan Connell, Marcus Marshall, Aidan Davison, Isaiah Rankin to name a few.

John Oster? Conor Townsend? Clearly there's a massive difference in players returning from a level well above us than a player who last played for us at a lower level than we are at now and is currently plying his trade two divisions lower, but you can always point to examples where a 'similar' type of signing did or didn't work.

I'd imagine that at clubs like Town, where most players ultimately fade into forgettable mediocrity, fans have a relatively poor record of identifying the ones who will go on to make a real impression, on the day they signed.

Not that I'm expecting us to sign LJL by the way, just making a broader point.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 144
pontoonlew
January 22, 2021, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from headingly_mariner
The shop would be a great short term signing. A proper mobile, physical presence to lead the line.

Hope that is true.

Which part of LJL's previous record in the Football League makes you think he'd be a great signing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 144
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 22, 2021, 11:07am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Poojah

John Oster? Conor Townsend? Clearly there's a massive difference in players returning from a level well above us than a player who last played for us at a lower level than we are at now and is currently plying his trade two divisions lower, but you can always point to examples where a 'similar' type of signing did or didn't work.

I'd imagine that at clubs like Town, where most players ultimately fade into forgettable mediocrity, fans have a relatively poor record of identifying the ones who will go on to make a real impression, on the day they signed.

Not that I'm expecting us to sign LJL by the way, just making a broader point.

Fair comment, works both ways I think we are probably a little slanted towards players who haven't worked out second time whatever level they've come from, than have. Townsend, Oster in the past couple of decades being exceptions. Can argue maybe Gary Croft gave us another good season as well in his first year back under Slade, and obviously Paul Groves if we go back a little further.

However, my reason was every time we are linked with an ex player, certainly more when they are the wrong side of 30 you tend to think about what kind of player we are getting back given the amount of players who have come back and struggled....obviously aware that a couple of those I mentioned were still in their 20's but you get my drift.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 144
ginnywings
January 22, 2021, 11:18am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from pontoonlew

Which part of LJL's previous record in the Football League makes you think he'd be a great signing?

That's supposing you just look at his scoring record, not the physical attributes and non stop running that he brought to the team. If nothing else, he was a right handful for defenders.

Not suggesting we sign him, and I wasn't particularly a fan first time round, but as I've said before, there's more to forward play than putting the ball in the net.

If Hanson is fit and remains so, a more mobile option to play alongside him would be a better option than LJL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 144
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Giles Coke training with Grimsby Town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.