Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 18, 2021, 5:42pm
May as well post it as its fluttering around twitter, looks like he's training with us - Midfielder >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Coke

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/297132-giles-coke-at-grimsby-town/
[img]https://i.imgur.com/NuC3WOe.png[/img]
[tweet]1351194583011643392[/tweet]
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, January 18, 2021, 5:45pm; Reply: 1

For those of you who don't know the name he's a 34 year old centre mid, ex Sheffield Wed, Motherwell, Ipswich and Bolton amongst others.

Hasn't really played much recently and was only made a handful of appearances with Chesterfield and Oldham over the last couple of seasons. He's been with Josh Gowling's Hereford this year.

No brainer if he's the player he was 5 or 6 years ago, but would be a punt.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 18, 2021, 5:52pm; Reply: 2
According to wiki...18 games in five years?
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 18, 2021, 5:53pm; Reply: 3
Is he the “real thing”
Posted by: Iknowyoursecret, January 18, 2021, 6:00pm; Reply: 4
Joined Hereford in September after over a year without a club only to be potentially loaned out to Grimsby three months later.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 18, 2021, 6:05pm; Reply: 5
Seems worryingly desperate to me, he's not played a season of regular football in 6 years, I'll get told 'you never know' but you just wonder why Bolton, Ipswich, Chesterfield, Oldham and Hereford all didn't give him many games, and how bad are things if its worth having a look at him
Posted by: AussieMariner, January 18, 2021, 6:06pm; Reply: 6
A ‘sniffer’ Doig recommendation?
Posted by: thefish, January 18, 2021, 6:19pm; Reply: 7
Seems worryingly desperate to me, he's not played a season of regular football in 6 years, I'll get told 'you never know' but you just wonder why Bolton, Ipswich, Chesterfield, Oldham and Hereford all didn't give him many games, and how bad are things if its worth having a look at him

It can't hurt to just take a look...
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 18, 2021, 6:21pm; Reply: 8
He might be training with us as a favour to Gowling to get his fitness up. Was Sheffield based and not sure if Hereford are full time.
Posted by: Teesknees, January 18, 2021, 6:31pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from thefish

It can't hurt to just take a look...

That's what I thought, but I still got arrested!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 18, 2021, 6:31pm; Reply: 10
Can’t see it myself.
Posted by: BenBB, January 18, 2021, 6:36pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
May as well post it as its fluttering around twitter, looks like he's training with us - Midfielder >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Coke

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/297132-giles-coke-at-grimsby-town/

[img]https://i.imgur.com/NuC3WOe.png[/img]
[tweet]1351194583011643392[/tweet]

5 goals in 70 appearances... in 2005-07...
Posted by: Croxton, January 18, 2021, 6:51pm; Reply: 12
Our groundsman has been on the grass more than this guy. Could have offered to play for free like Holford?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 18, 2021, 6:57pm; Reply: 13
He's training with us; doesn't mean he's starting on Saturday. I'm sure Hurst knows what he's doing. He's already said he could sign loads of players if he wanted, but will only sign those that will make a difference. If this guy does indeed end up playing for us, I'm sure he will have proven himself worthy first.

Then again, he could be here for any number of reasons.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 18, 2021, 7:09pm; Reply: 14
Heard he's also doing his coaching badges
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 18, 2021, 7:09pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings
He's training with us; doesn't mean he's starting on Saturday. I'm sure Hurst knows what he's doing. He's already said he could sign loads of players if he wanted, but will only sign those that will make a difference. If this guy does indeed end up playing for us, I'm sure he will have proven himself worthy first.

Then again, he could be here for any number of reasons.

Gowling asked Hurst if he can train with us for some reason? Although it would be difficult to see why, he's from London originally.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 18, 2021, 7:14pm; Reply: 16
far more likely it's something to do with coaching
Posted by: forza ivano, January 18, 2021, 7:45pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
far more likely it's something to do with coaching

agreed, something that Gowling might have set up when he was at BP the other week. Would make sense if Coke is Sheffield based
Posted by: RonMariner, January 18, 2021, 8:06pm; Reply: 18
Might just be working on his fitness try to get a club.

If he does happen to shine in training might be worth a closer look, but I am hoping that we land someone who has been rather more active recently. We need someone fit and raring to go in the midfield engine room.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 19, 2021, 10:17am; Reply: 19
Just because of the protocols we have to have in place now for training, even more so after our heavy wrist slap last week, I can't imagine we're allowing someone to train with us just as a favour.

Be it with a view to signing or as a potential player, I think is probably an avenue Hurst is exploring.

The last 5 years of his C.V don't look great at all.  But as is always rolled out whenever Hurst signs someone that raises questions, neither did Jon Nolan's.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 19, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 20
side note... why are Hereford in the National league North??
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 19, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 21
Because there's such a heavy representation at that sixth tier from London/South East clubs.  

Not always as cut and shut as this but the 24 most Northern Teams form the Conference North, 24 most Southern form the South.

Ultimately, Hereford are in the 24 most Northern teams in the sixth tier.  In fact they're not even the most southern team in the Conference North, that's Gloucester.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ZiF6LqkFHeRRzrOBKRpHZwoX2A6lixH0&ll=53.01620533954092%2C-1.2018938000000068&z=7
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 19, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 22
Quoted from diehardmariner
Just because of the protocols we have to have in place now for training, even more so after our heavy wrist slap last week, I can't imagine we're allowing someone to train with us just as a favour.

Be it with a view to signing or as a potential player, I think is probably an avenue Hurst is exploring.

The last 5 years of his C.V don't look great at all.  But as is always rolled out whenever Hurst signs someone that raises questions, neither did Jon Nolan's.

I remember being less than overwhelmed when we signed an old bloke from Halifax reserves but Paul Futcher did ok........
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, January 19, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 23

I remember being less than overwhelmed when we signed an old bloke from Halifax reserves but Paul Futcher did ok........

Although I agree, I think we used the Futch example literally every time we are linked with or sign an unfancied veteran. I think it only highlights what a gem of a player he was.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2021, 1:25pm; Reply: 24
Because there's such a heavy representation at that sixth tier from London/South East clubs.  

Not always as cut and shut as this but the 24 most Northern Teams form the Conference North, 24 most Southern form the South.

Ultimately, Hereford are in the 24 most Northern teams in the sixth tier.  In fact they're not even the most southern team in the Conference North, that's Gloucester.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ZiF6LqkFHeRRzrOBKRpHZwoX2A6lixH0&ll=53.01620533954092%2C-1.2018938000000068&z=7

Not many years ago Bishop’s Stortford (Herts) were in the Conference North.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 19, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

Although I agree, I think we used the Futch example literally every time we are linked with or sign an unfancied veteran. I think it only highlights what a gem of a player he was.

Yep, I agree but we've had others who have come here at the end of their careers and done a great job - Whymark, Sherwood, Gary Jones and even Matt Tees the second time.

I'm an optimist - we must be due to sign someone who will go on to be a Town legend at some point. And Fenty won't be here to tell them to f*ck off when they have the audacity to ask for a pay rise.
Posted by: Nutsy, January 19, 2021, 1:59pm; Reply: 26
Danny Collins is a more recent example of a decent veteran player?

Surely the best one we've had for a while?!!
Posted by: Nutsy, January 19, 2021, 1:59pm; Reply: 27
Danny Collins is a more recent example of a decent veteran player?

Surely the best one we've had for a while?!!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 19, 2021, 2:04pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not many years ago Bishop’s Stortford (Herts) were in the Conference North.

And bizarrely Gloucester city were in the conference north, yet Worcester city (or maybe Kidderminster) were in the conference south 🤷🏻
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 19, 2021, 2:25pm; Reply: 29
Just need to sign Chris Lines now and we've got ourselves a party.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 19, 2021, 2:33pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Weren’t we once in Division 3 South on the same basis?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 19, 2021, 2:46pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Son of Cod
Just need to sign Chris Lines now and we've got ourselves a party.

Saw what you did there.....
Posted by: Poojah, January 19, 2021, 3:01pm; Reply: 32

Yep, I agree but we've had others who have come here at the end of their careers and done a great job - Whymark, Sherwood, Gary Jones and even Matt Tees the second time.

I'm an optimist - we must be due to sign someone who will go on to be a Town legend at some point. And Fenty won't be here to tell them to f*ck off when they have the audacity to ask for a pay rise.

Some good examples there, if a little harsh on Gary Jones who was just a couple of months the wrong side of his 30th birthday when he signed. He did cut the figure of an older player though, so I know what you mean.

I remember watching him sprint for the first time on his debut against Oxford and thinking, “who’s this fúcking cart horse we’ve signed here?” How wrong was I? What’s that saying, don’t judge a book by how quickly it runs over ten yards, or something.
Posted by: Nutsy, January 19, 2021, 4:32pm; Reply: 33
I think energy is what we have in abundance - Hewitt and Clifton, but class and experience we are somewhat lacking (Rose has been disappointing imo)

Coke - Clifton - Hewitt may be the winning formula??
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 19, 2021, 4:43pm; Reply: 34
So are we interested in him or are we just doing Hereford a favour
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 19, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Poojah

Some good examples there, if a little harsh on Gary Jones who was just a couple of months the wrong side of his 30th birthday when he signed. He did cut the figure of an older player though, so I know what you mean.

I remember watching him sprint for the first time on his debut against Oxford and thinking, “who’s this fúcking cart horse we’ve signed here?” How wrong was I? What’s that saying, don’t judge a book by how quickly it runs over ten yards, or something.

Ha! If your view of Lumpaldinho was based on his speed you would think he was sh*t. But as you well know, back to goal and holding the ball up, finding another Town player from a flick on and muscling defenders were what he did!

And you can add to the list Craig Shakespeare and Craig Disley. Brian Laws did ok as a player as well. Not so sure about his management skills.
Posted by: sam gy, January 19, 2021, 5:31pm; Reply: 36
Was a big Craig Shakespeare fan as a young 'un.... Almost the forgotten midfielder of the 90's really, in terms of players we still talk about these days.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 19, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 37

Haha,  just look at the video interviews that the club splash on the website....if you look in the background at the players training/ warming up there doesnt seem to be a great deal of compliance with what i would think are basic protocols for the current pandemic. Even at Sunday League level we are supposed to minimise sharing of equipment, wipe down intermittently with anti bacterial etc.
In the latest Rollin interview players could be seen taking off their sweaty bibs and passing them to other players to put on !!  
FA wouldnt need to do an inspection as the club have already documented it on video for the world to see.  

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2021, 9:13pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from moosey_club

Haha,  just look at the video interviews that the club splash on the website....if you look in the background at the players training/ warming up there doesnt seem to be a great deal of compliance with what i would think are basic protocols for the current pandemic. Even at Sunday League level we are supposed to minimise sharing of equipment, wipe down intermittently with anti bacterial etc.
In the latest Rollin interview players could be seen taking off their sweaty bibs and passing them to other players to put on !!  
FA wouldnt need to do an inspection as the club have already documented it on video for the world to see.  

That’s just another sign of the money incompetence/naivety in the club.
Posted by: DB, January 19, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from moosey_club

Spot on, looks like Fenty is tight fist to the end
Posted by: moosey_club, January 19, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 40

That’s just another sign of the money incompetence/naivety in the club.

Now i am sure, in reality , just like any other workplace with general H&S ,  most football clubs are not complying to the full extent of the FA / government guidance.....do the headline stuff, pay attention to the mid range......lip service to the rest......but if you have just been fined, splashed all over the news as being the first and are on a suspended sentence as such you would think that either ;

A.  You would up your game, ensure the risk assessments are reviewed following an incident (standard practice) , brief all concerned on the new arrangements and monitor a little more effectively to make sure you are 100% compliant

or;

B. still just pay lip service but ensure you dont fking film the evidence yourself and put it on the internet for all to see

In the videos over the last few weeks the only person i have seen attempting to distance and wearing a mask is Dave Moore.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 41
You couldn’t make it up could you Moosey.

Looks like an organisation where one man has had such tight control that people don’t think any more.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 21, 2021, 10:25am; Reply: 42
Had a snippet of info, apparently being signed on deal until the end of the season after impressing during his trial with town....don't shoot the messenger of it doesn't come to fruition, not doing a Wembley and saying it's 100%.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 21, 2021, 11:30am; Reply: 43
Quoted from moosey_club

Now i am sure, in reality , just like any other workplace with general H&S ,  most football clubs are not complying to the full extent of the FA / government guidance.....do the headline stuff, pay attention to the mid range......lip service to the rest......but if you have just been fined, splashed all over the news as being the first and are on a suspended sentence as such you would think that either ;

A.  You would up your game, ensure the risk assessments are reviewed following an incident (standard practice) , brief all concerned on the new arrangements and monitor a little more effectively to make sure you are 100% compliant

or;

B. still just pay lip service but ensure you dont fking film the evidence yourself and put it on the internet for all to see

In the videos over the last few weeks the only person i have seen attempting to distance and wearing a mask is Dave Moore.

Dave Moore is only wearing a mask to protect COVID from Dave Moore.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 21, 2021, 11:49am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Dave Moore is only wearing a mask to protect COVID from Dave Moore.

I've heard that when Dave Moore does push ups... He doesn't push his body up, but instead pushes the world down!
Posted by: heppy88, January 21, 2021, 12:18pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Had a snippet of info, apparently being signed on deal until the end of the season after impressing during his trial with town....don't shoot the messenger of it doesn't come to fruition, not doing a Wembley and saying it's 100%.

Just heard the same.
Posted by: wembley19984, January 21, 2021, 12:51pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from heppy88

Just heard the same.

100% still
Posted by: Posh Harry, January 21, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from wembley19984

100% still

Bentley is back!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 21, 2021, 1:59pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from RonMariner

Weren’t we once in Division 3 South on the same basis?

Sort of. In 1920/21 when the 3rd Division was formed, we were founder members having finished bottom of Division 2 the previous season. However, this season there was only one 3rd Division and was Southern dominated but the following season when Division 3 North was founded we were transferred into there.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 21, 2021, 3:02pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Les Brechin

Sort of. In 1920/21 when the 3rd Division was formed, we were founder members having finished bottom of Division 2 the previous season. However, this season there was only one 3rd Division and was Southern dominated but the following season when Division 3 North was founded we were transferred into there.

Did you go to many games then Les ? 😉
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 21, 2021, 10:11pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Civvy at last

Did you go to many games then Les ? 😉

Pete used to take him.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 21, 2021, 10:47pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Might be signing two from Hereford   ??)

https://saveedgarstreetforum.proboards.com/thread/6122/llj-coke

(mareez)

At this rate we would need a job lot of (wheelchair)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 21, 2021, 10:53pm; Reply: 52
The shop would be a great short term signing. A proper mobile, physical presence to lead the line.

Hope that is true.
Posted by: Croxton, January 21, 2021, 11:05pm; Reply: 53
Possible loan swap for Gibson, Sissay or Jackson?
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, January 22, 2021, 10:21am; Reply: 54
Quoted from arryarryarry

Might be signing two from Hereford   ??)

https://saveedgarstreetforum.proboards.com/thread/6122/llj-coke

(mareez)

At this rate we would need a job lot of (wheelchair)

I think there will always be speculation about ex players returning (Pearson, Nolan, Bogle, Toto, LJL etc) especially now Hurst is back, but I just can't imagine see seeing The Shop back here. Granted he's only 31, and to be fair 5 goals in 11 this season is good form but he has had his injury issues and he is playing in National League North for a reason. Not saying he couldn't do a job still but I always have a bit of caution when remembering other players who came back for seconds and they didn't too much of an impact.

Jamie Devitt, Simon Ford, Alan Connell, Marcus Marshall, Aidan Davison, Isaiah Rankin to name a few.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 22, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 55
I was never a Shop fan when he was here. Take away his penalties and his goal record was distinctly below average. But I knew why Hurst liked him and needs must when the devil drives. If he is fit and he could play 3/4 of the remaining games he could be a short term asset. Whether he would gel with Hanson I don’t know but we might see some easier chances and get some other players in the box to take them.

Our Fleetwood lad looks promising as the midfield workaholic but we need some older heads as well now so the same applies with Coke.
Posted by: Poojah, January 22, 2021, 10:45am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

I think there will always be speculation about ex players returning (Pearson, Nolan, Bogle, Toto, LJL etc) especially now Hurst is back, but I just can't imagine see seeing The Shop back here. Granted he's only 31, and to be fair 5 goals in 11 this season is good form but he has had his injury issues and he is playing in National League North for a reason. Not saying he couldn't do a job still but I always have a bit of caution when remembering other players who came back for seconds and they didn't too much of an impact.

Jamie Devitt, Simon Ford, Alan Connell, Marcus Marshall, Aidan Davison, Isaiah Rankin to name a few.

John Oster? Conor Townsend? Clearly there's a massive difference in players returning from a level well above us than a player who last played for us at a lower level than we are at now and is currently plying his trade two divisions lower, but you can always point to examples where a 'similar' type of signing did or didn't work.

I'd imagine that at clubs like Town, where most players ultimately fade into forgettable mediocrity, fans have a relatively poor record of identifying the ones who will go on to make a real impression, on the day they signed.

Not that I'm expecting us to sign LJL by the way, just making a broader point.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 22, 2021, 11:03am; Reply: 57
Quoted from headingly_mariner
The shop would be a great short term signing. A proper mobile, physical presence to lead the line.

Hope that is true.

Which part of LJL's previous record in the Football League makes you think he'd be a great signing?
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, January 22, 2021, 11:07am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Poojah

John Oster? Conor Townsend? Clearly there's a massive difference in players returning from a level well above us than a player who last played for us at a lower level than we are at now and is currently plying his trade two divisions lower, but you can always point to examples where a 'similar' type of signing did or didn't work.

I'd imagine that at clubs like Town, where most players ultimately fade into forgettable mediocrity, fans have a relatively poor record of identifying the ones who will go on to make a real impression, on the day they signed.

Fair comment, works both ways I think we are probably a little slanted towards players who haven't worked out second time whatever level they've come from, than have. Townsend, Oster in the past couple of decades being exceptions. Can argue maybe Gary Croft gave us another good season as well in his first year back under Slade, and obviously Paul Groves if we go back a little further.

However, my reason was every time we are linked with an ex player, certainly more when they are the wrong side of 30 you tend to think about what kind of player we are getting back given the amount of players who have come back and struggled....obviously aware that a couple of those I mentioned were still in their 20's but you get my drift.

Posted by: ginnywings, January 22, 2021, 11:18am; Reply: 59
Quoted from pontoonlew

Which part of LJL's previous record in the Football League makes you think he'd be a great signing?

That's supposing you just look at his scoring record, not the physical attributes and non stop running that he brought to the team. If nothing else, he was a right handful for defenders.

Not suggesting we sign him, and I wasn't particularly a fan first time round, but as I've said before, there's more to forward play than putting the ball in the net.

If Hanson is fit and remains so, a more mobile option to play alongside him would be a better option than LJL.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 22, 2021, 11:22am; Reply: 60
The LJL we last saw would be a decent short term option for us I think. However, 5 and a half years (and a couple of serious injuries) is a hell of a long time.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 22, 2021, 11:26am; Reply: 61
Quoted from ginnywings

That's supposing you just look at his scoring record, not the physical attributes and non stop running that he brought to the team. If nothing else, he was a right handful for defenders.

Not suggesting we sign him, and I wasn't particularly a fan first time round, but as I've said before, there's more to forward play than putting the ball in the net.

If Hanson is fit and remains so, a more mobile option to play alongside him would be a better option than LJL.

He can do the job Hurst is asking Green to do but maybe better. I was never a fan either as I said above but when you are in this position you need chasers of lost causes and people who can hold the ball up until reinforcements arrive. That's the sort of side Hurst is good at building.

Posted by: Withnail, January 22, 2021, 11:27am; Reply: 62
Quoted from Poojah

Paul Groves can be added to this list too.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 22, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 63
Hurst has said Coke is still training with us and he'll make a decision next week. No more signings before tomorrow. From Radio Humberside.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 22, 2021, 11:33am; Reply: 64
Hope Hanson and Scannel are fit then, as we seriously need some nous up top.

A front three of Bennett, Hanson and Scannell would be pretty good if they are all on it.
Posted by: Nutsy, January 22, 2021, 11:38am; Reply: 65
Quoted from ginnywings
Hope Hanson and Scannel are fit then, as we seriously need some nous up top.

A front three of Bennett, Hanson and Scannell would be pretty good if they are all on it.

The fact you have neglected Morais is almost criminal ;) !!!!!!

Best player for us this season - not that it takes much.

Bennett definitely the most improved under PH
Posted by: ginnywings, January 22, 2021, 11:51am; Reply: 66
See, we have too many options now.  ;)

Wasn't sure if Morais is fit or not after he missed last weeks game. I like him too and would be in my starting 11.

Going back to my previous post, I don't think for one minute that PH will play a front three anyway.
Posted by: LH, January 22, 2021, 12:13pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Hurst has said Coke is still training with us and he'll make a decision next week. No more signings before tomorrow. From Radio Humberside.

So who starts with him tomorrow then?
Posted by: Nutsy, January 22, 2021, 12:27pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from ginnywings
See, we have too many options now.  ;)

Wasn't sure if Morais is fit or not after he missed last weeks game. I like him too and would be in my starting 11.

Going back to my previous post, I don't think for one minute that PH will play a front three anyway.

haha I'm only messing with you ginny.

I long for the days where can confidently say we have too many options!

We already look stronger with these 3 signings. It seems PH has pinpointed the weak areas and is strengthening accordingly.

Posted by: Nutsy, January 22, 2021, 12:28pm; Reply: 69
Also, 4-3-3 is far too Dutch and expansive for PH, but I do not mind in the slightest going back to 4-4-2 and us staying up!
Posted by: Mayaman, January 22, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 70

Bottles did OK too
Posted by: toontown, January 22, 2021, 1:15pm; Reply: 71
Even if we sign the shop expecting that he can only play half the games, and we know Hanson will only play half if we are lucky, then between them we will hopefully have most of the games covered. Maybe Jackson or Gibson as partner or ideally a new striker.

Hanson is clearly a massive step up from green. The shop I have no idea about BUT I would expect greens abilities are now at NLN level anyway, but not as a target man. Whereas if shops abilities are at that level but as a target man he would still be an upgrade on green for what we need. You would think there would be better out there though.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 22, 2021, 1:27pm; Reply: 72
Love the fact that Gowling not giving anything away to the local rag when asked if Coke was still at the club, says he is, yet Hurst has just told us he is a free agent ;D
Posted by: RonMariner, January 22, 2021, 3:51pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Withnail

Paul Groves can be added to this list too.

Yes, and two of the very best players to make a mark in their second spell were Clive Wiggington and of course the great Matt Tees.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), January 29, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

(** bump **)

There's no National League West, sadly.   :)
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 29, 2021, 2:06pm; Reply: 75
The infamous Rob Scott rant came after a lopsided drubbing playing 433. Was it Darlo?
I’d guess Hurst would not want a repeat ever.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 29, 2021, 2:08pm; Reply: 76
I do not see the point of buying a shop when there is a lockdown on.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 4, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 77
Second video - Looks like at this moment in time, Coke is unable to sign, due to transfer window closed and still having being registered with the National League or Hereford - WTF!   :-/

[tweet]1357362006483996673[/tweet]
Posted by: Kris2, February 4, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Love the fact that Gowling not giving anything away to the local rag when asked if Coke was still at the club, says he is, yet Hurst has just told us he is a free agent ;D

Dodgy deals Gowling is probably been getting plenty of brown envelopes under the table so he'll keep tight lipped about things going on behind the scenes. They've probably been bullshitting Hurst in letting him train with us so they can later demand a payment when Hurst wants him. "Oh, guess we forgot he's still our player so guess you'll just have to pay us to have him. Hopefully somebody will investigate and sort out this mess of a club  ;D.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 4, 2021, 5:36pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Kris2

Dodgy deals Gowling is probably been getting plenty of brown envelopes under the table so he'll keep tight lipped about things going on behind the scenes. They've probably been bullshitting Hurst in letting him train with us so they can later demand a payment when Hurst wants him. "Oh, guess we forgot he's still our player so guess you'll just have to pay us to have him. Hopefully somebody will investigate and sort out this mess of a club  ;D.

Just for absolute clarity, when you say "sort out this mess of a club" do you mean Hereford or Grimsby?
Posted by: moosey_club, February 4, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 80
I mean seriously.....how hard is it to check the facts ?  Coke says "oh yeah, i am a free agent" ....no one from the club actually checks that out until after the window closes and then when we want to sign him it turns out he isnt / might not be a free agent after all.

Will we ever learn ?!?
Posted by: Croxton, February 4, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from moosey_club
I mean seriously.....how hard is it to check the facts ?  Coke says "oh yeah, i am a free agent" ....no one from the club actually checks that out until after the window closes and then when we want to sign him it turns out he isnt / might not be a free agent after all.

Will we ever learn ?!?

Turns out not to be 'the real thing'.
Posted by: Azimuth, February 4, 2021, 8:39pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from moosey_club

Will we ever learn ?!?

Yet another embaressing transfer balls up in the Grimsby Town story
Posted by: moosey_club, February 4, 2021, 8:57pm; Reply: 83
I have some sky hooks and tartain paint in the lock up , might contact the club see if they want to buy some.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 4, 2021, 9:00pm; Reply: 84
“ Hurst has told GrimsbyLive though that upon inspecting further, Coke remained registered to the league, which prevents him from completing a move to the EFL outside the transfer window, which ended on Monday.”

So presumably he could have been signed inside the transfer window?
Posted by: ska face, February 4, 2021, 9:18pm; Reply: 85
Another Ian Fleming disasterclass.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 4, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 86
Unbelievable.

Or come to think of it, this is GTFC so it is not only believable but almost expected.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 4, 2021, 10:01pm; Reply: 87
It could be that Coke thought he was a free agent with a Covid release clause like LJL thought he had. With the amount of business going on late in the transfer window it probably didn’t seem a priority.

If Coke has been conned like LJL thinks he has, he will be in fact a free agent. A court could strike out the deleted clause if the player didn’t really sign it.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 4, 2021, 10:01pm; Reply: 88
Shame really as he looks a unit and would fit well into the centre of our midfield with his experience. With Rose injured, we haven't got a lot of options for a crucial position. Everything seems to be going against us this season.

Shame for the player too as he is effectively out of work now.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 4, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 89
It could be that Coke thought he was a free agent with a Covid release clause like LJL thought he had. With the amount of business going on late in the transfer window it probably didn’t seem a priority.

If Coke has been conned like LJL thinks he has, he will be in fact a free agent. A court could strike out the deleted clause if the player didn’t really sign it.

It's a different situation to the LJL one. He's still registered as a NL player and therefore can't move to the EFL outside the transfer window. Had we known before the window, we could have transferred him.

The player was told he was a free agent when he in fact wasn't.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 4, 2021, 10:19pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from ginnywings

It's a different situation to the LJL one. He's still registered as a NL player and therefore can't move to the EFL outside the transfer window. Had we known before the window, we could have transferred him.

The player was told he was a free agent when he in fact wasn't.

How does that work? If he’s not a Hereford player how is he registered as a NL player?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, February 4, 2021, 10:21pm; Reply: 91

How does that work? If he’s not a Hereford player how is he registered as a NL player?

Never easy to cut a Coke deal

What’s his street value?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 4, 2021, 10:31pm; Reply: 92

Dunno. Listened to the PH interview and didn't really get a definitive answer.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 4, 2021, 10:32pm; Reply: 93

It appears, despite what the club told the player, that Hereford never cancelled his registration with the league. Hence we try and register him only to discover he’s still an Hereford player!!!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 4, 2021, 10:37pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

It appears, despite what the club told the player, that Hereford never cancelled his registration with the league. Hence we try and register him only to discover he’s still an Hereford player!!!

Cheers
Posted by: ginnywings, February 4, 2021, 10:43pm; Reply: 95
Don't get why they can't just release him and make him a free agent, meaning he can then sign for who he likes?

Or doesn't it work like that?

Seems very harsh on the player that he is denied the chance of a contract and earning a living.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 4, 2021, 10:50pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from ginnywings
Don't get why they can't just release him and make him a free agent, meaning he can then sign for who he likes?

Seems very harsh on the player that he is denied the chance of a contract and earning a living.

Well if Hereford aren’t paying him and he’s their employee, they’re in breach of contract and he’s free to walk surely (I.e. he’s a free agent). A rule by the league which says he can’t move in those circumstances is tantamount to an attempt to restrict his right to change his employment so it is unenforceable. Obviously it would take a lot of time and money to contest that in the courts but even the bozos who run the National League ought to realise that.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 4, 2021, 11:36pm; Reply: 97
On deadline day this is an extract from the Telegraph’s updates:

Hereford confirmed Town's approach for the midfielder last week, and revealed they would be waiving their seven-day notice period, with manager Josh Gowling saying this...

“We wish Giles all the best at Grimsby, it’s a fantastic opportunity for him to return to the Football League, and an opportunity that we would not want to stand in the way of.
On behalf of everyone at the club, I would like to thank Giles for his efforts whilst with us and wish him well for the future.”

Given this information and direct quote from their Manager it may be a tad harsh to be blaming our club on this occasion as it is pretty apparent Hereford had accepted and agreed to his departure but failed to do the basics.
Posted by: DB, February 5, 2021, 12:12am; Reply: 98
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
On deadline day this is an extract from the Telegraph’s updates:

Hereford confirmed Town's approach for the midfielder last week, and revealed they would be waiving their seven-day notice period, with manager Josh Gowling saying this...

“We wish Giles all the best at Grimsby, it’s a fantastic opportunity for him to return to the Football League, and an opportunity that we would not want to stand in the way of.
On behalf of everyone at the club, I would like to thank Giles for his efforts whilst with us and wish him well for the future.”

Given this information and direct quote from their Manager it may be a tad harsh to be blaming our club on this occasion as it is pretty apparent Hereford had accepted and agreed to his departure but failed to do the basics.

I'm with you. What a pathetic admin set up at Hereford. First you have the LJL contract dispute and now Coke he's free to leave O no he's not.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 5, 2021, 12:25am; Reply: 99
Quoted from Hereford Times | Posted: 4 February 2021
Hereford manager Josh Gowling says that Coke has been with Grimsby training for almost a month.

“Grimsby didn’t check if he was registered or not," said Gowling.

“They have got to do their due diligence on their players and they haven’t. He was non-contract with us and he’s gone in there and there’s an issue with his registration.

“I think there’s a question of whether he’s still registered with us and whether that should have been cut before the window.

“If the registration was with us through the window then I don’t think he can play for Grimsby even though he’s not with us anymore as a free agent.

“They really should have looked and checked before the transfer window shut about his registration.”
Link >> https://www.herefordtimes.com/sport/19066433.giles-cokes-move-grimsby-looks-unlikely/
Posted by: DB, February 5, 2021, 12:42am; Reply: 100
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

So you have to wonder why Josh Gowling wished Coke all the best at Grimsby. Gowling is just blame pushing for the inept set up at Hereford and didn't mention that contract signature on LJL contract!
Posted by: ginnywings, February 5, 2021, 12:50am; Reply: 101
Quoted from DB

So you have to wonder why Josh Gowling wished Coke all the best at Grimsby. Gowling is just blame pushing for the inept set up at Hereford and didn't mention that contract signature on LJL contract!

It's not the fault of Gowling or Hereford and it's not their job to do the due diligence. Coke was a non contract signing, whose registration is with the NL.

We should have checked and we didn't. We took the players word for it that he was a free agent, so it's our member as far as I can see.
Posted by: DB, February 5, 2021, 12:57am; Reply: 102
Quoted from ginnywings

It's not the fault of Gowling or Hereford and it's not their job to do the due diligence. Coke was a non contract signing, whose registration is with the NL.

We should have checked and we didn't. We took the players word for it that he was a free agent, so it's our member as far as I can see.

Very misleading by all party's. Perhaps we should chalk this up to being a 'grey' area and something to be wary of in the future.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 5, 2021, 1:09am; Reply: 103
Why didn't Hurst just sign him on deadline day instead of waiting a couple of days more? What could Coke have shown in those 2 days that would have changed Hursts thinking of him?

It seems GTFC have a lot of grey areas that they need to repaint black and white. Hopefully when the takeover goes through, the new owners won't let such stupid mistakes happen again!

How many people sat in the GTFC office and failed to do their job in order for this to go fornicating breasts up? Its inexcusable. They had almost a month for someone.........anyone to make one little check on Coke's availability.

Really is unbelievable. If I was taking over the club I would get rid of everyone in the offices and start anew. Too many in there extracting the urine.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 5, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 104
As shambolic as the Hereford set up looks, we're just as bad if not worse.

We wanted the player so the onus is on us to get everything in order.  Surely it's absolute basics to check the registration status in the first place, especially considering the difficulty we were having with regards the LJL deal.  If that didn't set alarm bells off then what would?

Shame if we've missed out on a player, but also crap for Coke himself.  Although you could perhaps argue that he (or his agent if he has one) should have been pressing the issue too.  
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 5, 2021, 11:00am; Reply: 105
Im presuming it is possible for him to have his contract cancelled so he can walk away from Hereford as a free agent. With all the irregularities in the Hereford players contracts, itll probably transpire that all players are free agents anyway.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 5, 2021, 11:16am; Reply: 106
Can’t he just be released from any contract he’s on?
Posted by: Abdul19, February 5, 2021, 11:19am; Reply: 107
I think if you're released after the window shuts then you can't sign for anyone else.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 5, 2021, 11:24am; Reply: 108
Quoted from ginnywings

He would need to have been released during an active transfer window for him to be able to sign for another club as a free agent outside of said window. Otherwise you would have clubs releasing and signing players all year long.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 5, 2021, 11:40am; Reply: 109
We just don't do basics, certainly not to any reasonable standard.  In other times, we have even signed the wrong player.  
Posted by: ginnywings, February 5, 2021, 12:18pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

He would need to have been released during an active transfer window for him to be able to sign for another club as a free agent outside of said window. Otherwise you would have clubs releasing and signing players all year long.

That's what I suspected but wasn't sure of.

Posted by: malkamalka, February 5, 2021, 12:23pm; Reply: 111
So, who's player is he?

If he's Hereford's then send him back. If he gets his contract cancelled, then why can't we can sign him as a free agent?

Still, we need to be on top of this sort of thing.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, February 5, 2021, 12:27pm; Reply: 112

If he was told by the National League, that he had been released, my guess is that he is 'phoning whoever told him that, as his argument is that he only wasn't signed by GTFC because they were focusing on other signings, and thus completed other deals on deadline day, relying on his status as a free agent.    Easy to say we should have signed him anyway (and I agree we should) BUT we were obviously confident that there was no rush.  This is why I don't think its completely dead yet; surely between Hereford, ourselves and the authorities we can sort this out?  
It might be last move of his career!

I'd be using the LJL contract matter as an indication that Coke could have been let down similarly tbf.... But remain a bit worried by how we lost out re Vernam though as a precedent.  Haven't we learned?
Posted by: toontown, February 5, 2021, 12:47pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

If he was told by the National League, that he had been released, my guess is that he is 'phoning whoever told him that, as his argument is that he only wasn't signed by GTFC because they were focusing on other signings, and thus completed other deals on deadline day, relying on his status as a free agent.    Easy to say we should have signed him anyway (and I agree we should) BUT we were obviously confident that there was no rush.  This is why I don't think its completely dead yet; surely between Hereford, ourselves and the authorities we can sort this out?  
It might be last move of his career!

I'd be using the LJL contract matter as an indication that Coke could have been let down similarly tbf.... But remain a bit worried by how we lost out re Vernam though as a precedent.  Haven't we learned?

We do our learning on the pitch. Except we dont
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 5, 2021, 1:03pm; Reply: 114
Why didn't Hurst just sign him on deadline day instead of waiting a couple of days more? What could Coke have shown in those 2 days that would have changed Hursts thinking of him?

It seems GTFC have a lot of grey areas that they need to repaint black and white. Hopefully when the takeover goes through, the new owners won't let such stupid mistakes happen again!

How many people sat in the GTFC office and failed to do their job in order for this to go fornicating breasts up? Its inexcusable. They had almost a month for someone.........anyone to make one little check on Coke's availability.

Really is unbelievable. If I was taking over the club I would get rid of everyone in the offices and start anew. Too many in there extracting the urine.

This is what I said yesterday. Hurst admitted as much in interview. If they had simply got their act together and signed him on Monday none of this would be relevant.

Posted by: ska face, February 5, 2021, 1:36pm; Reply: 115
So that’s Vernam leaving on a free because the club didn’t offer him new terms in time, Moshni announced as having been released before it even happened, now a player we wanted to sign being unable to because the club didn’t do the checks in time.

Even one of these would normally be a sacking offence, but three in about 6 months? Just insane that these are the people running the club. Honestly, most Sunday league sides are better run.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 5, 2021, 1:46pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from malkamalka
So, who's player is he?

If he's Hereford's then send him back. If he gets his contract cancelled, then why can't we can sign him as a free agent?

Still, we need to be on top of this sort of thing.

My understanding is he was on non-contract terms with Hereford so would only need to have given 7 days notice if he wanted to move on. Hereford subsequently waived this notice period which they confirmed in their statement. Even though he was on non-contract terms with Hereford, he would still be registered as a player with the National League. This is the bit that didn't get closed off I believe. If they had cancelled his registration before the window closed, Giles would now be able to sign for anyone as a free agent. Because, for whatever reason, his registration wasn't cancelled during the window, he is now unable to sign for another team until the next transfer window opens.

I think Giles/Town need to look at the reasons why his registration with the NL wasn't cancelled in time and look at the legal options of that, as he is effectively being denied the opportunity to earn a living.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 5, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 117

My understanding is he was on non-contract terms with Hereford so would only need to have given 7 days notice if he wanted to move on. Hereford subsequently waived this notice period which they confirmed in their statement. Even though he was on non-contract terms with Hereford, he would still be registered as a player with the National League. This is the bit that didn't get closed off I believe. If they had cancelled his registration before the window closed, Giles would now be able to sign for anyone as a free agent. Because, for whatever reason, his registration wasn't cancelled during the window, he is now unable to sign for another team until the next transfer window opens.

I think Giles/Town need to look at the reasons why his registration with the NL wasn't cancelled in time and look at the legal options of that, as he is effectively being denied the opportunity to earn a living.

Fully agree.  The contrasting statements from Gowling and the situation with other contracts at Hereford, including LJL's, would back this up too.  It's unfair and as you've said denying someone a wage.  

ex-Merseymariner is also right about this could be his last move.  Certainly as a professional anyway.  We're 91st in the league system so the fact he was on trial with us says a lot about his current kerb appeal.  Below us the non-league system is in absolute chaos and could implode at any minute.

But this could all take time.  That's time were the lad is without an income, time were we're without a player we identified as a signing and also time ticking on his clock as a 35-year-old.  

We just don't learn.  We took the EFL advice at face value in the summer and it cost us arguably our best player.  We took advice that no-one else took around Covid-clauses and there's a huge risk it could cost us our Football League status.  Less than a week we were running around frantically trying to sort the mess out to sign LJL - surely whoever was processing the deal thought 'hmm, maybe just double check on the other player from the same club as this one....?'

Is it an individual to blame for these errors or is it more a case that there's such a level of micro-management going on that no-one is capable or confident to act on initiative.  Everyone makes mistakes, you learn from them.  But when you don't learn from them, it's the culture of the place.  John Fenty wanted the stadium to be his legacy, instead the legacy is one of a fear culture.  Good riddance.
Posted by: MarinerMal, February 5, 2021, 1:59pm; Reply: 118
Here we are again. Another mess with another player. How many is that now. It is a theme that runs through the Fenty years of "running" this club.

From Podge to Vernam to the raft of amatuers we signed in the summer to now Coke.

When will we learn to do our due diligence on players and act like the professional football club we are meant to be.

The quicker we can get Fenty away from this football club and into the hands of some people who want to run this club like a professional organisation the better we will be.

Posted by: forza ivano, February 5, 2021, 3:39pm; Reply: 119

sorry to doubt you Mighty, but that doesn't make sense. If that was the case then Mohsni couldn't have signed for Barnet as we released him outside a transfer window. Or am i missing summat?
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 5, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from ska face
So that’s Vernam leaving on a free because the club didn’t offer him new terms in time, Moshni announced as having been released before it even happened, now a player we wanted to sign being unable to because the club didn’t do the checks in time.

Even one of these would normally be a sacking offence, but three in about 6 months? Just insane that these are the people running the club. Honestly, most Sunday league sides are better run.

And dont forget we still havent heard an official announcement that we have signed Luke Spokes. He just showed up in the starting XI one day.

Posted by: ginnywings, February 5, 2021, 4:31pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from forza ivano

sorry to doubt you Mighty, but that doesn't make sense. If that was the case then Mohsni couldn't have signed for Barnet as we released him outside a transfer window. Or am i missing summat?

Is it that they can go from the EFL to NL outside of a transfer window, but not the other way around?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 5, 2021, 4:48pm; Reply: 122
It doesn’t make sense because the NL would be stopping someone who is a free agent from pursuing their trade. It sounds like another of those quirks football accepts but won’t happen in the outside world.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 5, 2021, 4:51pm; Reply: 123
It doesn’t make sense because the NL would be stopping someone who is a free agent from pursuing their trade. It sounds like another of those quirks football accepts but won’t happen in the outside world.

He could ply his trade in non league I presume, but not in the EFL.
Posted by: scrumble, February 5, 2021, 6:18pm; Reply: 124
It's unfair and as you've said denying someone a wage.  

Its more than unfair, its illegal. Either Hereford pay him a wage, or he is free to move. If he had a contract and Hereford where refusing to pay because they didn't have the money, he would be allowed to move, this really isn't much different. You cannot restrict anyone's right to work in this way

Posted by: RonMariner, February 5, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 125
I wonder if there is any possibility of appealing this with the EFL? After all the player is now in limbo and unable to earn a living. Perhaps the PFA could look into it?  
Posted by: moosey_club, February 6, 2021, 9:21am; Reply: 126
Would you buy a car from a back street garage without checking its m.o.t, hpi and without a V5 in the sellers name ?

Gowling nailed it in his local press interview ", they have had him for several weeks if they wanted him they should have done their due diligence in that time"

There is only one party to blame in all this.

Posted by: fiveallive, February 6, 2021, 9:37am; Reply: 127
Grimsby are totally at fault Hurst should have got it done a couple of days before deadline day so he could concentrate on deadline day signings with Coke already sorted but he never, he was quick to get John-Lewis sorted wasn't he.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 6, 2021, 9:44am; Reply: 128
Quoted from fiveallive
Grimsby are totally at fault Hurst should have got it done a couple of days before deadline day so he could concentrate on deadline day signings with Coke already sorted but he never, he was quick to get John-Lewis sorted wasn't he.

Do you actually know that. Seems odd that both the club and player got it wrong. Wouldnt overly go on what Gowling said either as at the moment I wouldn't trust Hereford on players registrations and contracts. Several people at there club involved in contracts have mysteriously resigned lately and there not being investigated by the FA for nothing!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 6, 2021, 11:32am; Reply: 129
Quoted from ginnywings

He could ply his trade in non league I presume, but not in the EFL.

That may be true but it’s still a restriction on his right to work. It’s like you being told you are registered to ply your trade, but only for customers with lower incomes.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 6, 2021, 11:53am; Reply: 130

That may be true but it’s still a restriction on his right to work. It’s like you being told you are registered to ply your trade, but only for customers with lower incomes.

As frustrating as it is, the rules are there to stop teams just terminating a players contract outside of a transfer window, or everyone would be doing it.

I don't know if they will give him any special dispensation, but I doubt it.

Must be horrible for the player as it's probably the best move he could have hoped for at his age.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 6, 2021, 12:02pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from ginnywings

As frustrating as it is, the rules are there to stop teams just terminating a players contract outside of a transfer window, or everyone would be doing it.

I don't know if they will give him any special dispensation, but I doubt it.

Must be horrible for the player as it's probably the best move he could have hoped for at his age.

Sorry Ginny just given my good star on non footy and tried to give you a gold star on here but says you only have one star a day. That Rob must have changed it again.  ;D
Posted by: ginnywings, February 6, 2021, 12:07pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from grimsby pete

Sorry Ginny just given my good star on non footy and tried to give you a gold star on here but says you only have one star a day. That Rob must have changed it again.  ;D

There's always tomorrow.  ;D
Posted by: scrumble, February 6, 2021, 1:42pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from ginnywings

I understand why they have that rule, but the rules of the EFL do not trump the rules of the land. Unless Hereford are willing to pay him the EFL cannot stop his employment elsewhere.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 6, 2021, 1:45pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Do you actually know that. Seems odd that both the club and player got it wrong. Wouldnt overly go on what Gowling said either as at the moment I wouldn't trust Hereford on players registrations and contracts. Several people at there club involved in contracts have mysteriously resigned lately and there not being investigated by the FA for nothing!

I think the problem is the club didnt do anything, not necessarily got it wrong, they just failed to check and relied on " Giles said" ,

when they went to sign is when they discovered they couldnt. This was after having him in the building for 3 weeks.  One phone call is all that it would have taken to check.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 6, 2021, 1:57pm; Reply: 135
I wonder what, if anything, the club are doing to try and remedy this situation?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 7, 2021, 2:54pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from RonMariner
I wonder what, if anything, the club are doing to try and remedy this situation?

Giles Coke offers 'glimmer of hope' to Grimsby Town over move after registration issue

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/giles-coke-grimsby-transfer-hope-4976050
Posted by: ginnywings, February 7, 2021, 5:18pm; Reply: 137
I've read a couple of times that he is training with us at his own expense. Surely we can front him some travel money at least?
Posted by: DB, February 7, 2021, 5:45pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from ginnywings
I've read a couple of times that he is training with us at his own expense. Surely we can front him some travel money at least?

I agree Ginny, he still looks keen to sign and Hursty wants him.

You do have to wonder what the hell is going on at Hereford. Why did Hereford either tell him or give him the impression he was a free agent? If you are told something you believe to be in good faith the you would not question it, especially if you thought you thought it came from a professional person. Why would Gowling wish him the best of luck knowing he was still under contract and not tell anybody? It's alright Gowling shouting due diligence, or what ever, but he also mudded the waters.

Coke is without any income, we are without a player we want. The FA should not dither and let him sign, give the guy a wage. Investigate Hereford certainly but put the wrongs right first. Too many why's and not enough answers from Hereford.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 7, 2021, 5:49pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from DB

I agree Ginny, he still looks keen to sign and Hursty wants him.

You do have to wonder what the hell is going on at Hereford. Why did Hereford either tell him or give him the impression he was a free agent? If you are told something you believe to be in good faith the you would not question it, especially if you thought you thought it came from a professional person. Why would Gowling wish him the best of luck knowing he was still under contract and not tell anybody? It's alright Gowling shouting due diligence, or what ever, but he also mudded the waters.

Coke is without any income, we are without a player we want. The FA should not dither and let him sign, give the guy a wage. Investigate Hereford certainly but put the wrongs right first. Too many why's and not enough answers from Hereford.

Bowling wished him well because he was on non-contract terms at Hereford so Giles could walk away with 7 days notice, which Hereford subsequently waived. The problem here is that Giles was/is registered as a player with the National League and this registration, for whatever reason was not cancelled. I'm not sure whose responsibility it was to cancel his registration with the NL, and thats where the problem lies!
Posted by: DB, February 7, 2021, 5:59pm; Reply: 140

Bowling wished him well because he was on non-contract terms at Hereford so Giles could walk away with 7 days notice, which Hereford subsequently waived. The problem here is that Giles was/is registered as a player with the National League and this registration, for whatever reason was not cancelled. I'm not sure whose responsibility it was to cancel his registration with the NL, and thats where the problem lies!

Thank you for pointing this out, but I still think that it is Hereford fault. They did the paperwork to sign him so surely they should do the opposite, or at least TELL him what he has to do. Let's not forget he's a footballer not a lawyer.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 8, 2021, 11:12am; Reply: 141
Quoted from DB

Thank you for pointing this out, but I still think that it is Hereford fault. They did the paperwork to sign him so surely they should do the opposite, or at least TELL him what he has to do. Let's not forget he's a footballer not a lawyer.

If only we had someone with a legal background heading up our operation...

Sorry, we can try and point the finger of blame at Hereford all we want.  It isn't going to change anything.

Town wanted something and acted lazily.  Almost an expectation that someone else would do the leg work about it.  We should have checked, checked and then checked again until we were satisfied everything was sorted.  
Posted by: RonMariner, February 8, 2021, 11:18am; Reply: 142
Just another example of the half-assed way the club has been run for years.

I am confident that the new owners will instill some professionalism and competence in our administration.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 8, 2021, 11:43am; Reply: 143
Never mind the formal rights and wrongs of this.  We had everything to gain from this move playing-wise. Therefore, we should have adopted the policy “don’t assume, check”.  We didn’t.  
Posted by: RonMariner, February 8, 2021, 12:31pm; Reply: 144
Well, as the saying goes, 'assume' makes an a$$ out of u and me.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 8:20am