11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 7, 2021, 1:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
A friend who lives in the US once told me the biggest problem Americans have with Presidential elections is finding someone to vote for. When you go back through just the past 120 years it is a real struggle to see very many outstanding and honest candidates who appealed across the board. Probably Franklin D Roosevelt would be the best pick of a bad bunch.

I always thought Jimmy Carter was an honest tryer ...... but useless. I’m struggling to think of another one I would be happy to vote for and trust in a crisis.

Trump is Nixon on steroids isn’t he? What a choice they had in this election, a loony versus a puppet.

What I don’t understand about this demo is that the reaction to it was so slow, it has been on the stocks for ages. For a lot of them it was payback for the New York riots which according to my US source are still a regular and unpoliced  possibility. So it seemed so obvious something would happen. Yet the only winners were the anti-Trumps. The gun lobby shot him in the foot there.

The next question is - who controls Biden? Seems to me he is in much the same state as Reagan when he was elected for the second term. It was a toss up between Nancy, GHW Bush, Haig, Schultz and Weinberger.  Biden will need his own Cheney to ride shotgun or else policies are going to sprout in different directions all over the place now the Dems have the Senate.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 106
ska face
January 7, 2021, 1:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,740
Gold Stars: 851

The next question is - who controls Biden? L

The same people as usual -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/m.....esidential-campaign/
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 106
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 7, 2021, 2:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Yes well their version of Betfred came good!  

You are right, “meet the new boss, same as the old boss.”

It was ever thus when you have had two parties which are both conglomerates of so many different voting groups. The money wins.

But Biden is in there for 4 years if he lasts out, even the money needs a daily agent to keep the administration on a sort of straight and narrow. They might agree to a sort of Obama-lite health scheme for instance but they could not let that get out of hand. They could back restraints on Biden’s media backers who have done so much to push back Trump. But those media moguls and celebrity supporters may have different opinions to old style Democrat legislators wanting to formalise social media with freedom of the press. I suspect there will be a lot of thinking around the roles played by those big social media mouths in the past 4 years.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 106
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 7, 2021, 3:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,830
Gold Stars: 555
A friend who lives in the US once told me the biggest problem Americans have with Presidential elections is finding someone to vote for.

Ditto. Johnson (Boris, not LBJ) vs Corbyn
Macron vs Le Pen (2017)
Macron vs Le Pen (2022)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 106
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 7, 2021, 3:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,830
Gold Stars: 555
I read an interesting article last week suggesting that the dysfunctional lives of The Simpsons, conceived in the 90s, are now a cultural and financial mirage for most Americans.

The Simpson family has quite a normal, affluent life, full of opportunities, living amid the final days of the ‘American Dream’, compared with modern Merica

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/617499/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 106
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 7, 2021, 6:55pm
Special Brew Drinker

Ditto. Johnson (Boris, not LBJ) vs Corbyn
Macron vs Le Pen (2017)
Macron vs Le Pen (2022)

I agree about the French but the UK doesn't work the same does it? Most recently neither May nor Johnson first was elected PM by a general election.

Private Message
Reply: 65 - 106
Humbercod
January 8, 2021, 9:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
USA politics will remain a basket case for generations now despite Trumps failings, he wanted to reform a totally corrupt system but to many had to much to lose. The problem for Biden is that he’s now got to payback these billionaire oligarch backers with deals and appeasement which benefit them and not the people, this is going to be his ultimate downfall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 106
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 8, 2021, 9:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod
USA politics will remain a basket case for generations now despite Trumps failings, he wanted to reform a totally corrupt system but to many had to much to lose. The problem for Biden is that he’s now got to payback these billionaire oligarch backers with deals and appeasement which benefit them and not the people, this is going to be his ultimate downfall.

Very true. There are a lot of Democrats keen to get back on the anti-trust law bandwagon but much of Biden’s campaign funding has come from there. Then there is the power of social media. Zuckkerberg is still trying to curry favour by keeping Trump off Facebook but this censorship will come back to bite him. The complaints in the past about media bias from Murdoch, Fox etc. pale into insignificance beside the censorship of Twitter and Facebook.

Private Message
Reply: 67 - 106
ginnywings
January 8, 2021, 10:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Humbercod

Priceless!

Trump the reformer.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 106
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 8, 2021, 10:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Priceless!

Trump the reformer.  

I hate this loose use of words that comes from the media. Reform is not and never has been a left wing monopoly and neither is it always progressive. It depends on your starting point, it simply means altering something to improve it, in the opinion of the reformer. Therefore Thatcher sought to reform local taxation by introducing the Poll Tax. Great move eh?  You and I and Trump might all see reform as a positive but our definitions of positive may be miles apart.

Private Message
Reply: 69 - 106
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Trump   Biden

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.