Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Return of league 2, 12th Sept (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 31 Guests

Return of league 2, 12th Sept (merged)

This thread currently has 14,630 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
July 24, 2020, 10:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,680
Gold Stars: 96
I’d love to know how any L2 clubs can afford to start the season with no fans ? I’m guessing a lot of youth team players will be getting a chance a lot earlier than they or their clubs imagined .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 101
moosey_club
July 24, 2020, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from promotion plaice

And all the decent players will have been snapped up by then as usual.

irrellevant, save money so the directors dont have to put money in future of the club can be secured.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 101
Croxton
July 24, 2020, 10:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
The 25% wage cut was agreed by all contracted players to be reviewed monthly. Surely, with IFollow cash , this can be converted to a deferral scheme as training starts to bring our squad nearer to other L2 clubs. Olly can then bring in new players without creating waves. Full pay by August?

ADD.  - Big push on season tickets
           -  New shirt sales.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 101
LH
July 24, 2020, 11:02pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,509
Gold Stars: 173
I thought the club had made a decision that there would be no STs for this season?
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 101
aldi_01
July 25, 2020, 7:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from LH
I thought the club had made a decision that there would be no STs for this season?

Surely this can’t be true for numerous reasons, if it is true then it really does make you wonder what the thought processes of folk at the club are.

I understand not selling them until they’re aware of the date fans can return but not selling them at all is ridiculous.

As I’ve said already, at league 1 and 2 and below it makes logical sense to delay the restart u til fans are allowed in. If we seriously think the EFL/FA will stump up the cash to ensure teams don’t go to the wire then I think people will be very disappointed. Secondly, iFollow is not an income generator like match tickets and STs. 4000 people wouldn’t be buying each game; pubs, clubs and families will only buy one match pass and then multiple folk will watch that. I’d imagine for one home game considerably less than 2000 passes would be sold. Similarly, I’d imagine season match passes wouldn’t sell that many.

For the sake of potentially three weeks it seems like a rush job and daft idea from the football league...again.

I mean we can pick fault with some aspects of the club; majority shareholder removing cash for several years (imagine what that cash would do now), seemingly zero cash input from directors who claim to love the club, the rhetoric suggesting that the club is preparing for an average at best season and the like. Then there’s the 25% pay cut which was admirable from the players but I guess means 100% of their wages will need reinstating before we begin to sign players and so on.

We all want football back as much as the next person but surely we could all wait just a couple of weeks longer until we’re allowed in the ground. Let’s face it, we know we’ll get stitched up and get Hull in the league cup away, Bradford away and scunny at home when there’s no fans in the ground...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 101
Grantham_Mariner
July 25, 2020, 9:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
They have got to start selling season tickets soon. It would be easier to refund any game without supporters later than try and sell them with short notice when we know fans can attend. Instead of refunding for behind closed doors games they could exchange vouchers for cup games or even purchases from club shop. Any way I can not see the club being able to cope with selling 3,500+ (hoping it will be 5,500+ with IH) tickets every game!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 101
moosey_club
July 25, 2020, 10:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Well let's just hope the club already had contingency plans in place ready to implement as soon as the green light was given.
As dates for a restart and outline dates for open doors have been given then I would hope some movement has started.

Given the nature of this lockdown there could be an excellent opportunity this season for best prepared teams to hit the ground running.
Can we start training as a club now?
As of Monday isnt the transfer window open so will there be a first day announcement of a signing?
Where is the new shirt?
Season ticket sales with an emphasis on you may well need one to get in to the game. Take all details now with payment to be taken once open door policy confirmed. Saves a rush later and also helps financial planning to judge to just what extent the covid may put people off.

Or do we sit back and wait....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 101
jamesgtfc
July 25, 2020, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from geir

In Norway we have played 9 games now with restrictions of 200 people in the audience each game. The games are coming fast with two games played for every team each week. The first few games were played against teams that were nearby in a geographical sense.
The only other income (apart from a meagre audience) is probably a little bit of support from the government (not much) and people donating money to the club through their phone via a special number. Probably some TV revenue too.
All in all I imagine the clubs will still suffer massive financial loss.
It will be interesting to see how this is resolved in Britain. When I sign up for my IFollow subscription I hope at least some of my money will go directly to the club.

Best wishes to you all and hope you continue to be well!

Don't know what the football scene is like in Norway but the nearest teams are our biggest attendances. Everyone has probably already put their requests in for Barrow, Morecambe and Exeter in September.

The season end date hasn't been pushed back much and there is usually a lot of games before the end of September so there will be plenty of midweek games. A cup run and some winter postponements will make the end of season tough.

Definitely think they should have voted in Shrewsbury's suggestion of getting that meaningless cup over before the fans are allowed in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 101
Davec
July 25, 2020, 10:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from moosey_club
Well let's just hope the club already had contingency plans in place ready to implement as soon as the green light was given.
As dates for a restart and outline dates for open doors have been given then I would hope some movement has started.

Given the nature of this lockdown there could be an excellent opportunity this season for best prepared teams to hit the ground running.
Can we start training as a club now?
As of Monday isnt the transfer window open so will there be a first day announcement of a signing?
Where is the new shirt?
Season ticket sales with an emphasis on you may well need one to get in to the game. Take all details now with payment to be taken once open door policy confirmed. Saves a rush later and also helps financial planning to judge to just what extent the covid may put people off.

Or do we sit back and wait....

This is Grimsby Town we are talking about so we will sit back and wait and put season tickets on sale a week before the season starts, we will leave signing players until late as possible, and when we are struggling early doors we can use Coronavirus as an excuse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 101
aldi_01
July 25, 2020, 11:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Davec

This is Grimsby Town we are talking about so we will sit back and wait and put season tickets on sale a week before the season starts, we will leave signing players until late as possible, and when we are struggling early doors we can use Coronavirus as an excuse

The rhetoric from Day has already set that one up ready, this could be the new ITV digital type excuse...so it won’t be going anywhere for about 20 years...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Return of league 2, 12th Sept (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.