Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Return of league 2, 12th Sept (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

Return of league 2, 12th Sept (merged)

This thread currently has 14,603 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
July 31, 2020, 8:42am
Guest User
So if this is only guidance, what would happen if the EFL League clubs decided to open the gates to fans anyway?
Reply: 90 - 101
Grantham_Mariner
July 31, 2020, 10:49am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from psgmariner
Rumours that the no drinking in view of the pitch laws may be relaxed to increase revenues and avoid unnecessary close contact.

Good idear, but are they going to allow flasks. Yes seriously less chance of infection if you are drinking from you own flask.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 101
Hagrid
July 31, 2020, 12:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
Pilot for sports fans returning pushed back to middle of august
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 101
It Bites
July 31, 2020, 12:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,174
Gold Stars: 259
No fans will be at BP for a long time
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 101
psgmariner
July 31, 2020, 12:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from It Bites
No fans will be at BP for a long time

It does make you wonder whether next season is worth the bother. A whole season of zero crowds and a tiny bit of i-follow revenue. Not sure how that pays the bills.

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 101
Sammo
July 31, 2020, 1:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +171
10am today Spectators allowed back into the Crucible for the World Snooker Championship, 12.30 told cannot attend from tomorrow.

Surely the hope of spectators in sports grounds by October is now just a bit too hopeful, is there any point starting the season on 12th September if October is looking unlikely. There has to be a point where we just have to live with the virus being around and make our own minds up when it comes to attending mass gatherings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 101
louth_in_the_south
July 31, 2020, 1:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
There’s no way L1 or 2 are viable for next season . Instead of having a load of arguing and fooking about from the likes of Peterborough’s and FGR owners a decision to scrap next season for the good of the preserving the future of clubs . God knows where that leaves our players and I feel for them . If we can’t pay them as seems likely sooner or later then they’ll be free agents .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 101
Boris Johnson
July 31, 2020, 1:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
There’s no way L1 or 2 are viable for next season . Instead of having a load of arguing and fooking about from the likes of Peterborough’s and FGR owners a decision to scrap next season for the good of the preserving the future of clubs . God knows where that leaves our players and I feel for them . If we can’t pay them as seems likely sooner or later then they’ll be free agents .

i dont see how a whole season without football can lead to anything but the demise and end of clubs such as ours...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 101
louth_in_the_south
July 31, 2020, 1:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
I’m guessing it’ll be a case of mothballing clubs for a year . No staff means no costs and it’ll be up to the club and fans to try to inject funds through the share issue / crowdfunding / commercial and merchandise income streams to keep things afloat until things recommence . The club did survive through 2 world wars for 4 or 5 years remember.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 101
Heisenberg
July 31, 2020, 2:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,032
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I’m guessing it’ll be a case of mothballing clubs for a year . No staff means no costs and it’ll be up to the club and fans to try to inject funds through the share issue / crowdfunding / commercial and merchandise income streams to keep things afloat until things recommence . The club did survive through 2 world wars for 4 or 5 years remember.

This is exactly it.  It's a bit like the Telegraph recently announcing "The Notts Pub to close forever" - I saw this and said to the missus, that won't stay shut forever, how can the previous landlord dictate that?!  The building is still there; it's not like a business goes pop and they get the wrecking ball in right away to demolish the place, it's still physically there.  Lo and behold, about 2 weeks later they announce The Notts is opening again!

Mothballing is the key.  I'm not sure how we'd deal with the fact we have contracted players, and how (if) they'd get paid, but if there were no other staff for a year, it would just be a case of the fans sweeping up the ground every now and again, doing a bit of volunteer work, and hopefully keeping the burglars out.

I know there's more to it than that, but no football doesn't mean no football club, it just means no staff getting their wages.  Which is bad, but not as bad as the club folding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Return of league 2, 12th Sept (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.