Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: Sigone, July 24, 2020, 3:10pm
Confirmed by EFL
Posted by: Hagrid, July 24, 2020, 3:13pm; Reply: 1
Be hard seeing us play with not being there but least its something to look forward too
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 24, 2020, 3:14pm; Reply: 2
No fans then?
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 24, 2020, 3:15pm; Reply: 3
EFL confirm start date
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 24, 2020, 3:17pm; Reply: 4
That's up to the Government as to whether crowds are allowed. They have given a preliminary date of mid October
Posted by: Hagrid, July 24, 2020, 3:18pm; Reply: 5
I imagine some signings will be sharpish, return to training asap. Give the lads 6/7 weeks to go at it
Posted by: aldi_01, July 24, 2020, 3:20pm; Reply: 6
Didn’t many of their members already say that playing without an actual crowd isn’t cost effective.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, July 24, 2020, 3:23pm; Reply: 7
Think the EFL are looking for some sort of financial package to cover period with no fans.
Great news, let’s get cracking!
Posted by: aldi_01, July 24, 2020, 3:26pm; Reply: 8
In all seriousness, surely it’s worth waiting 3 weeks until the grounds can open.

I appreciate the government haven’t had a clue so far but they’ve said first weekend in October, what would that additional 3 weeks really hurt?

So they’ve agreed a date whilst still actually waiting to see if there is a financial package available?
Posted by: Abdul19, July 24, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 9
I just hope the fixtures don't come out with Scunny and Bradford as our first 2 home games!
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 24, 2020, 3:29pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Think the EFL are looking for some sort of financial package to cover period with no fans.
Great news, let’s get cracking!

Probably only a loan though so clubs getting into even more debt.

All games Live on iFollow is going to be the norm for now you would think.

Posted by: aldi_01, July 24, 2020, 3:36pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from promotion plaice

Probably only a loan though so clubs getting into even more debt.

Some might argue that is the fear, let’s face it, for 97% of fans of top flight clubs watching football on TV is the norm and the crowd is irrelevant to them. Sadly, I think this last few weeks has actually shown at the top level fans aren’t important to anything.

They’ve introduced so called drinks breaks which they’ve touted for a while, I mean it’ll look foolish all stood dithering in November but we all know deep down it’s a time out and an opportunity for TV folk to sell advertising.

At our level fans in the ground generate income, if people get out of the habit, for many it’ll be a hard one to pick back up, for numerous reasons.

My personal view is the football league in particular shouldn’t/doesn’t need to start until fans are allowed in the ground.
Posted by: Sigone, July 24, 2020, 3:38pm; Reply: 12

Season tickets holders only, no away fans, whole ground open to season tickets, no entry without a mask, which must be worn at all times, temperature checks at the turnstiles and Ifollow made available throughout the season..thats how i would do it.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 24, 2020, 3:45pm; Reply: 13

When the fans do return:

Don't know how they are going to police the loo's because the queue's at half-time are horrendous.

At least the beer will be cheap, if it isn't already most of it will be nearly out of date by now   :)
Posted by: It Bites, July 24, 2020, 3:50pm; Reply: 14
No fans ... How can EFL clubs suddenly afford to start in September with out fans ?
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 24, 2020, 4:00pm; Reply: 15
You’d Imagine there’s a financial package in place to return and I’m all for it. Hopefully it’s enough to end the 25% wage cut and get on with building a squad.

You could say why don’t we wait until mid October, but that isn’t guaranteed and we need to know what we’re doing. Adding to that, the Euros are in 2021, this is the latest they could realistically leave it. I’m pleased we have some clarity and can now start to plan (and get bloody excited!)
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 24, 2020, 4:02pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from It Bites
No fans ... How can EFL clubs suddenly afford to start in September with out fans ?

Agree with the comments on here that support not returning until October when we hopefully will be allowed crowds of around 3000 without face masks, temperature checks etc. Agree no away fans until possibly the new year which will be very hard for our exiles and hard core travelling support but that should be the limit on concessions.

I just cannot see how returning without any sort of crowd is financially viable to any team in the lower leagues.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 24, 2020, 4:19pm; Reply: 17
I also thought the Shrewsbury suggestion, also put forward by a Fishy member on a previous thread, to start on 12 September with Caraboa cup games made excellent sense.

More bizarrely the Premiership kicks off immediately following an international break so gives them around 3 days max preparation time, ridiculously short.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), July 24, 2020, 4:24pm; Reply: 18
Can't wait!! Looking forward to see who Ollie brings in as well  :)
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 24, 2020, 4:35pm; Reply: 19
As a financial package to see clubs over until fans are allowed in, give the clubs the same amount of money as their average attendance las5 season. I understand anyone in league 1 that got relegated will in theory have a lower average because they were losing games. PS, on this calculation it means scunny get £124.67 pence, per game.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 24, 2020, 4:37pm; Reply: 20
Drinks breaks will be fine in Nov,  if players are allowed to bring flasks in of hot drinks.
Posted by: geir, July 24, 2020, 4:45pm; Reply: 21

In Norway we have played 9 games now with restrictions of 200 people in the audience each game. The games are coming fast with two games played for every team each week. The first few games were played against teams that were nearby in a geographical sense.
The only other income (apart from a meagre audience) is probably a little bit of support from the government (not much) and people donating money to the club through their phone via a special number. Probably some TV revenue too.
All in all I imagine the clubs will still suffer massive financial loss.
It will be interesting to see how this is resolved in Britain. When I sign up for my IFollow subscription I hope at least some of my money will go directly to the club.

Best wishes to you all and hope you continue to be well!
Posted by: moosey_club, July 24, 2020, 5:16pm; Reply: 22
Jeez....we haven't got our new kit yet... :o
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 24, 2020, 5:48pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from moosey_club

Johns knitting them as you speak
Posted by: Ipswin, July 24, 2020, 6:23pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from moosey_club

A few players would be nice (we can play in 'skins' if necessary)

Posted by: moosey_club, July 24, 2020, 6:57pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Ipswin

A few players would be nice (we can play in 'skins' if necessary)

nah, too early for that, the club will be asking Holloway to put all offers to prospective players on the table but just not complete any deals until the very last minute so we can save on wages.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, July 24, 2020, 7:27pm; Reply: 26
The 'fans' of Liverpool & Leeds have done us & their clubs no favours following the events of Wednesday
They have probably put back the date when genuine & responsible supporters will be allowed into our grounds & have shown the powers that be that 'we' cannot be trusted to act responsibly.
Posted by: Poojah, July 24, 2020, 8:38pm; Reply: 27
Watching the French cup final on BT Sport now and there is a crowd of sorts, although oddly all crammed into one small section of the Stade de France, which seems to defeat the object somewhat.

Now, I don’t speak French but I think the suggestion here is that it’s a bit daft.
Tweet 1286745085737132032 will appear here...
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, July 24, 2020, 9:48pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Poojah
Watching the French cup final on BT Sport now and there is a crowd of sorts, although oddly all crammed into one small section of the Stade de France, which seems to defeat the object somewhat.

Now, I don’t speak French but I think the suggestion here is that it’s a bit daft.

They are saying the same as you. All grouped in one section with rest of stadium empty.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 24, 2020, 9:56pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from moosey_club

nah, too early for that, the club will be asking Holloway to put all offers to prospective players on the table but just not complete any deals until the very last minute so we can save on wages.

And all the decent players will have been snapped up by then as usual.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 24, 2020, 10:05pm; Reply: 30
I’d love to know how any L2 clubs can afford to start the season with no fans ? I’m guessing a lot of youth team players will be getting a chance a lot earlier than they or their clubs imagined .
Posted by: moosey_club, July 24, 2020, 10:07pm; Reply: 31

And all the decent players will have been snapped up by then as usual.

irrellevant, save money so the directors dont have to put money in future of the club can be secured.
Posted by: Croxton, July 24, 2020, 10:49pm; Reply: 32
The 25% wage cut was agreed by all contracted players to be reviewed monthly. Surely, with IFollow cash , this can be converted to a deferral scheme as training starts to bring our squad nearer to other L2 clubs. Olly can then bring in new players without creating waves. Full pay by August?

ADD.  - Big push on season tickets
           -  New shirt sales.
Posted by: LH, July 24, 2020, 11:02pm; Reply: 33
I thought the club had made a decision that there would be no STs for this season?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 25, 2020, 7:50am; Reply: 34
Quoted from LH
I thought the club had made a decision that there would be no STs for this season?

Surely this can’t be true for numerous reasons, if it is true then it really does make you wonder what the thought processes of folk at the club are.

I understand not selling them until they’re aware of the date fans can return but not selling them at all is ridiculous.

As I’ve said already, at league 1 and 2 and below it makes logical sense to delay the restart u til fans are allowed in. If we seriously think the EFL/FA will stump up the cash to ensure teams don’t go to the wire then I think people will be very disappointed. Secondly, iFollow is not an income generator like match tickets and STs. 4000 people wouldn’t be buying each game; pubs, clubs and families will only buy one match pass and then multiple folk will watch that. I’d imagine for one home game considerably less than 2000 passes would be sold. Similarly, I’d imagine season match passes wouldn’t sell that many.

For the sake of potentially three weeks it seems like a rush job and daft idea from the football league...again.

I mean we can pick fault with some aspects of the club; majority shareholder removing cash for several years (imagine what that cash would do now), seemingly zero cash input from directors who claim to love the club, the rhetoric suggesting that the club is preparing for an average at best season and the like. Then there’s the 25% pay cut which was admirable from the players but I guess means 100% of their wages will need reinstating before we begin to sign players and so on.

We all want football back as much as the next person but surely we could all wait just a couple of weeks longer until we’re allowed in the ground. Let’s face it, we know we’ll get stitched up and get Hull in the league cup away, Bradford away and scunny at home when there’s no fans in the ground...
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 25, 2020, 9:09am; Reply: 35
They have got to start selling season tickets soon. It would be easier to refund any game without supporters later than try and sell them with short notice when we know fans can attend. Instead of refunding for behind closed doors games they could exchange vouchers for cup games or even purchases from club shop. Any way I can not see the club being able to cope with selling 3,500+ (hoping it will be 5,500+ with IH) tickets every game!
Posted by: moosey_club, July 25, 2020, 10:26am; Reply: 36
Well let's just hope the club already had contingency plans in place ready to implement as soon as the green light was given.
As dates for a restart and outline dates for open doors have been given then I would hope some movement has started.

Given the nature of this lockdown there could be an excellent opportunity this season for best prepared teams to hit the ground running.
Can we start training as a club now?
As of Monday isnt the transfer window open so will there be a first day announcement of a signing?
Where is the new shirt?
Season ticket sales with an emphasis on you may well need one to get in to the game. Take all details now with payment to be taken once open door policy confirmed. Saves a rush later and also helps financial planning to judge to just what extent the covid may put people off.

Or do we sit back and wait....
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 25, 2020, 10:29am; Reply: 37
Quoted from geir

In Norway we have played 9 games now with restrictions of 200 people in the audience each game. The games are coming fast with two games played for every team each week. The first few games were played against teams that were nearby in a geographical sense.
The only other income (apart from a meagre audience) is probably a little bit of support from the government (not much) and people donating money to the club through their phone via a special number. Probably some TV revenue too.
All in all I imagine the clubs will still suffer massive financial loss.
It will be interesting to see how this is resolved in Britain. When I sign up for my IFollow subscription I hope at least some of my money will go directly to the club.

Best wishes to you all and hope you continue to be well!

Don't know what the football scene is like in Norway but the nearest teams are our biggest attendances. Everyone has probably already put their requests in for Barrow, Morecambe and Exeter in September.

The season end date hasn't been pushed back much and there is usually a lot of games before the end of September so there will be plenty of midweek games. A cup run and some winter postponements will make the end of season tough.

Definitely think they should have voted in Shrewsbury's suggestion of getting that meaningless cup over before the fans are allowed in.
Posted by: Davec, July 25, 2020, 10:56am; Reply: 38
Quoted from moosey_club
Well let's just hope the club already had contingency plans in place ready to implement as soon as the green light was given.
As dates for a restart and outline dates for open doors have been given then I would hope some movement has started.

Given the nature of this lockdown there could be an excellent opportunity this season for best prepared teams to hit the ground running.
Can we start training as a club now?
As of Monday isnt the transfer window open so will there be a first day announcement of a signing?
Where is the new shirt?
Season ticket sales with an emphasis on you may well need one to get in to the game. Take all details now with payment to be taken once open door policy confirmed. Saves a rush later and also helps financial planning to judge to just what extent the covid may put people off.

Or do we sit back and wait....

This is Grimsby Town we are talking about so we will sit back and wait and put season tickets on sale a week before the season starts, we will leave signing players until late as possible, and when we are struggling early doors we can use Coronavirus as an excuse
Posted by: aldi_01, July 25, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Davec

This is Grimsby Town we are talking about so we will sit back and wait and put season tickets on sale a week before the season starts, we will leave signing players until late as possible, and when we are struggling early doors we can use Coronavirus as an excuse

The rhetoric from Day has already set that one up ready, this could be the new ITV digital type excuse...so it won’t be going anywhere for about 20 years...
Posted by: moosey_club, July 25, 2020, 11:31am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Davec

It was more a rhetorical point as like you I am pretty sure I know the path we will take.
Posted by: Tinymariner, July 25, 2020, 2:21pm; Reply: 41
If the club make it season ticket holders only after October, I can see a few more people shelling out for one. I reckon we could see over 4K in ST sales.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 25, 2020, 2:40pm; Reply: 42
How many people in the current climate can really afford to buy a season ticket ? It’s admirable saying you would but if you’re one of the many who’s jobs are hanging by a thread or you’re on furlough it’s fooking difficult to justify such an outlay of ££££
I’d guess even if they were on sale there wouldn’t be enough sold to base a budget on . It’s easy to stick the boot into the board but they’re being realistic.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 25, 2020, 2:47pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Tinymariner
If the club make it season ticket holders only after October, I can see a few more people shelling out for one. I reckon we could see over 4K in ST sales.

I can understand your rationale but I doubt the amount of STH's would go up because those extra/new sales would balanced by the amount of, lets say it, older generation STH's that decide not to renew for now due to fears of a second spike.

Posted by: IlkleyMariner, July 25, 2020, 2:56pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Tinymariner

Think it be influenced by whether fans are enthused by the new signings, especially because we have lost six of the best players we had in March.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 25, 2020, 3:11pm; Reply: 45
Can pay for it monthly with the ST payment scheme. Ive used it before, think works out about 20 pound more over course of the season
Posted by: rancido, July 25, 2020, 3:24pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Poojah

C'est trez balmy, mon ami.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 25, 2020, 3:49pm; Reply: 47
2020/21 is going to be congested.

Last season the 2nd Saturday in September was our 8th league game. So we're 7 league games behind before we even start.

However last season was due to finish on Saturday 25th April due to Wembley only being available for L1 & L2 play-off Finals on Sat 16 & Sun 17 May. 2020/21 regular season finished 2 weeks later on Saturday 8th May. So there's 2 extra matches at the end of the regular season.

However that still means we have to squeeze 5 matches into the schedule.

Here's an idea...

Abolish FA Cup replays in all rounds and play league matches on the usual replay midweek date for R1-4.
Abolish Group Stage of EFL Trophy and have a straight knock-out competition.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 25, 2020, 3:59pm; Reply: 48
How about sell a season ticket now for say 12 games that starts when fans are allowed in, with the option later to extend it for the remaining games? Then every one gets to keep there seat, and there would be less of a rush and initially cheaper so more can afford under the present climate?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 25, 2020, 4:25pm; Reply: 49
I admire the optimism of those believing we’ll shift more ST but I think that’s all it is. If they’re full price, short notice with going on sale, and that’s not to mention the fact signing may not inspire and folk may not have a spare 300 quid knocking about.

I’d expect the usual 2000/2500 if and when they go on sale. Clubs should be pushing the EFL for some clarity on when stadiums will open. iFollow is not an economical way of generating income like actual ticket sales and then factor in costs of opening stadiums and so forth and it looks like the EFL just panicked and agreed with the premier league.

If you forget the 100k or whatever made through the crowd funder and the likes, ST would provide some much needed income, then add in the additional on the day sales and it helps us tick over.

Then there’s the issue of where cash will come from to actually sign players, the length of time little income will be coming in against how many playing staff need paying and it just gets even more complex.

My view has always been if the season starts then it has to be deemed safe for fans and stadiums need to open ASAP and the league starts accordingly.

Although whilst I’m sat here I can imagine the stadiums being shut but someone suggesting McMenemy’s shows the game on iFollow haha...
Posted by: moosey_club, July 25, 2020, 4:45pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
How many people in the current climate can really afford to buy a season ticket ? It’s admirable saying you would but if you’re one of the many who’s jobs are hanging by a thread or you’re on furlough it’s fooking difficult to justify such an outlay of ££££
I’d guess even if they were on sale there wouldn’t be enough sold to base a budget on . It’s easy to stick the boot into the board but they’re being realistic.

Point is they are currently blind to what may be acheived, they need something to base a season budget on, it certainly wont be crowds like we were use to as i would guess there will be a percentage drop off  so surely dipping their toe in by at least attempting to put something forward would help gauge the mood.  
They previously said they felt it would unfair to sell a ticket whilst there was no gaurantee on when a season may start, no argument there, honorable of them to do so........but the go ahead is now there so starting the ball rolling for a business with little or no current income is a must surely ?
If they advertise and only 500 people put their hand in then they can be cautious with the budget, if 2000 put their hand in they can cut the cloth accordingly, if 3000 come forward then its pretty much business as usual.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 25, 2020, 4:58pm; Reply: 51
Yep I can’t disagree with a word of that Moose . Maybe the club should put the question out there and have a show of hands to gauge how many would buy a ST now so they have something to go on .
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 25, 2020, 5:12pm; Reply: 52
There is a risk in buying a season-ticket in that next season is an unknown factor for money (the Club and for fans) and the impact of a possible second-wave of Covid-19.

Do fans want to surrender refunds again?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 25, 2020, 5:12pm; Reply: 53
There is no possibility whatsoever that the EFL Cup will take place next season with any of the 7 Premier League clubs that are involved in UEFA Club competitions. Every midweek from the season start date upto an including the midweek of Tuesday 8th December is either a UEFA club match date or an International fixture date.

The question is whether it will be a 85 club competition with the other 13 Premier League clubs, a 72 club competition with EFL clubs only or whether it's just voided for the season.

My guess will be it won't happen at all, because the Championship has to squeeze 46 match days in whilst not playing during the international windows.That's hard enough as it is without having to get EFL Cup matches in too.
Posted by: bax, July 25, 2020, 5:36pm; Reply: 54
It’s ok saying 3 or 4000 will buy season tickets (with a Economic depression round the corner and people scared to leave the house with COVID I doubt either is realistic) but the club will be more concerned that fans will be allowed in again, virus spikes and fans are no longer allowed in. Money which is budgeted for is then refunded and there are financial black holes to worry about.

I’ve been critical of the club many times in the past but on this one they are absolutely right to err on the side of caution at the moment.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 25, 2020, 7:14pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from bax
It’s ok saying 3 or 4000 will buy season tickets (with a Economic depression round the corner and people scared to leave the house with COVID I doubt either is realistic) but the club will be more concerned that fans will be allowed in again, virus spikes and fans are no longer allowed in. Money which is budgeted for is then refunded and there are financial black holes to worry about.

I’ve been critical of the club many times in the past but on this one they are absolutely right to err on the side of caution at the moment.

i dont buy into that, certainly dont think 3-4000 will buy anyway, maybe 1500 - 2000 tops would be my guess....but i think those people buying would be accepting there is possibly a risk of further disruption or a curtailed season.
As someone suggested earlier sell a partial ticket for first half of the season, redeemable for the first 10/11 games only, if the season goes on without disruption just extend it and that way you can keep your preferred seat.
The world has changed, peoples perspectives have changed....the club needs to react and adapt.
Posted by: bax, July 25, 2020, 7:27pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from moosey_club

i dont buy into that, certainly dont think 3-4000 will buy anyway, maybe 1500 - 2000 tops would be my guess....but i think those people buying would be accepting there is possibly a risk of further disruption or a curtailed season.
As someone suggested earlier sell a partial ticket for first half of the season, redeemable for the first 10/11 games only, if the season goes on without disruption just extend it and that way you can keep your preferred seat.
The world has changed, peoples perspectives have changed....the club needs to react and adapt.

Reacting and adapting are two qualities you can’t say the club has in abundance 😂 it handwrites the details of all season ticket holders in a book ffs!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 25, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 57
The club need to offer a blended season ticket.

All the games that are on ifollow and then valid when you’re allowed back in the ground. Maybe charge less than last year so that it is viable for those who will not get to all games but may want to watch them on I follow.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 25, 2020, 7:43pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from headingly_mariner
The club need to offer a blended season ticket.

All the games that are on ifollow and then valid when you’re allowed back in the ground. Maybe charge less than last year so that it is viable for those who will not get to all games but may want to watch them on I follow.

A blender now ?!? FFS Jolley had to fight tooth and nail just to get a juicer for Cheapside....cant see the board sanctioning that as well.
Posted by: lee65, July 26, 2020, 3:29pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from moosey_club

A blender now ?!? FFS Jolley had to fight tooth and nail just to get a juicer for Cheapside....cant see the board sanctioning that as well.

I think I may have a sandwich toaster from the early 80’s hidden in a cupboard somewhere if that would help? 🙂
Posted by: lee65, July 26, 2020, 3:32pm; Reply: 60
I wonder if games on ifollow  will increase in price from the usual tenner? (I’m assuming all will be available, home and away including Saturdays)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 26, 2020, 3:43pm; Reply: 61
It sure if this has been mentioned previously, and if so apologies.

But there’s been mention here of reduced capacity (50%) when the season restarts. If so, :

if/when a goal is scored, how can you stop people celebrating?

If capacity is reduced then am guessing the osmond would be used As I’d assume it’s ‘home fans only’ And how would this be policed?

If there is a large take up in interest, would temporary seating then become a viable option?
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 26, 2020, 4:21pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It sure if this has been mentioned previously, and if so apologies.

But there’s been mention here of reduced capacity (50%) when the season restarts. If so, :

if/when a goal is scored, how can you stop people celebrating?

If capacity is reduced then am guessing the osmond would be used As I’d assume it’s ‘home fans only’ And how would this be policed?

If there is a large take up in interest, would temporary seating then become a viable option?

To quote Philip Day in his recent statement

"We had been anticipating 50% of our capacity would be allowed. However, the draft Guide is far more restrictive, and it is estimated that it will be between 17% and 30%. Most League 2 grounds including BP will be at the lower end of that percentage"

So a lot less than what we were hoping.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, July 26, 2020, 4:31pm; Reply: 63
So that would be about 2000 spectators
Unless it spikes there will be no spectators with the virus so what are they protecting?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 26, 2020, 6:11pm; Reply: 64
I’m not sure releasing a statement with ‘draft guidance’ is a good move. The more I think about it the more I think it’ll cause my anxiety and debate that just likely adds more pressure.
Posted by: pen penfras, July 26, 2020, 7:20pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from aldi_01
I’m not sure releasing a statement with ‘draft guidance’ is a good move. The more I think about it the more I think it’ll cause my anxiety and debate that just likely adds more pressure.

And if they didn't, then you'd be moaning that you're not being informed about what's going on.
Posted by: pizzzza, July 26, 2020, 7:22pm; Reply: 66
Had a look for this draft 85-page document, I think this is it here https://sgsa.org.uk/planning-for-social-distancing-at-sports-grounds/ Couldn't be arsed reading it all and only quickly scanned it but seems extremely convoluted, very much open to the club's own interpretation I imagine.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 26, 2020, 7:35pm; Reply: 67

Probably already been mentioned but if we are only allowed around 2,000 into BP when the fans are allowed back how do you pick who gets in?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 27, 2020, 8:36am; Reply: 68
Quoted from pen penfras

And if they didn't, then you'd be moaning that you're not being informed about what's going on.

Not in the slightest. I think the club being tight lopes has been actually helpful. It hasn’t fuelled fires and hasn’t put them in any sort of firing line.

Posted by: aldi_01, July 27, 2020, 8:46am; Reply: 69
Quoted from pizzzza
Had a look for this draft 85-page document, I think this is it here https://sgsa.org.uk/planning-for-social-distancing-at-sports-grounds/ Couldn't be arsed reading it all and only quickly scanned it but seems extremely convoluted, very much open to the club's own interpretation I imagine.

Like all guidance through this it’s exactly that, guidance. It is very convoluted and typical of something from the EFL.

I’d imagine that as football grounds are private property they can choose to implement as little or as much as they want although I’d suspect t most will try and stick to it.

Some might want to praise the EFL for trying to be proactive but it seems like a waste of time given the government could turn round tomorrow and say stadiums can open. Equally, as given the trend of bizarre decision making, they could enforce them being shut for the foreseeable.

Surely they’d be better placed looking at ways to ensure the vast majority of their members survive through this. If they believe iFollow is an income generator like ST and match day tickets they’re deluded.

The guidance is more convoluted and woolly than the 345 versions put out for schools.

Posted by: Mallyner, July 27, 2020, 9:39am; Reply: 70

Probably already been mentioned but if we are only allowed around 2,000 into BP when the fans are allowed back how do you pick who gets in?

Hand sanitiser, Rock, Paper, Scissors?  ;)

I suppose season ticket holders would get first pick, but we might find that with the fear of the virus, quite a percentage of them would not want to attend anyway.

As somebody with bad arthritis in my legs, I haven't had a season ticket for 2 years, but if I had I would be happy to have been able to view the game on ifollow, if I could somehow log on, using that game's ticket.

Just as now I would be willing to pay the full match fee, to be able to watch the game.

The financial survival of our club is my main concern.

Posted by: GrimRob, July 27, 2020, 9:55am; Reply: 71
I don't think anyone will have to worry about relegation. The chances of 24 teams making it to the end of the season seem bleak. If you still exist after 46 games you will be safe.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 27, 2020, 9:59am; Reply: 72
Quoted from GrimRob
I don't think anyone will have to worry about relegation. The chances of 24 teams making it to the end of the season seem bleak. If you still exist after 46 games you will be safe.

With or without fans, it's only a matter of time. Bury were the first to go but there is a lot of clubs, particularly in the North West, on a dangerous tightrope.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, July 27, 2020, 5:33pm; Reply: 73
Cricket authorities have agreed to let Surrey and Warwickshire cricket that they can have 2,500 spectators from August 1st.

They have much bigger grounds with more static fans than GTFC, so unless things change looks like 1500 to 2000 fans is all we can get.

However there is still a few weeks to see if the cricket experiment works, so here’s hoping for improvement in infection levels.
Posted by: Meza, July 27, 2020, 6:53pm; Reply: 74
Do we think we could get away with one every other seat, the rows behind when in the Upper Findus are 1m i think.  Just need one of the spaces between the seats and were good.  Problem is no one has seen town for ages and sod law 8000 + fans are interested lol.
Posted by: pen penfras, July 27, 2020, 7:00pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Meza
Do we think we could get away with one every other seat, the rows behind when in the Upper Findus are 1m i think.  Just need one of the spaces between the seats and were good.  Problem is no one has seen town for ages and sod law 8000 + fans are interested lol.

Depends which part is how far away from which other. The knees that are often jabbing into my back mean at least a part of that person is less than 1m away. The amount of fat barstewards that take up half my seat probably means that they're not 1m wide either.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, July 27, 2020, 8:52pm; Reply: 76
In virus hotspot of Leicester there are 9 cases per 100,000 of population per day.
Or less than 1 per 10,000

That is a hotspot. In Cleethorpes it’s much lower. If our home crowd is 4,000 can anyone tell me how many people will be able to pass on the virus?

I don’t know but I bet less than 8 will be sat next to him or her.  And they meet only every two weeks.
Think I have more chance of being knocked down by a bus than catching Covid. Even then there is a negligible chance of death by COVID-19

Think this frenzy needs to be moderated.
Posted by: LH, July 27, 2020, 9:39pm; Reply: 77
In virus hotspot of Leicester there are 9 cases per 100,000 of population per day.
Or less than 1 per 10,000

That is a hotspot. In Cleethorpes it’s much lower. If our home crowd is 4,000 can anyone tell me how many people will be able to pass on the virus?

I don’t know but I bet less than 8 will be sat next to him or her.  And they meet only every two weeks.
Think I have more chance of being knocked down by a bus than catching Covid. Even then there is a negligible chance of death by COVID-19

Think this frenzy needs to be moderated.

Yeah there’d be 8 sat within the 2m danger zone in a full house. Yes they might only meet every other week - but do these people not need to go to work, school, supermarkets, to see family etc. This is exactly why football will be among the last things to open fully because strangers will be at close quarters for an extended period.
Posted by: Meza, July 27, 2020, 10:49pm; Reply: 78
Personally i'd let the Town\Cities decide and if cases rise lock the town down like Leicester.  I'd still have face masks as mandatory though.  
Posted by: moosey_club, July 27, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from aldi_01

Like all guidance through this it’s exactly that, guidance. It is very convoluted and typical of something from the EFL.

I’d imagine that as football grounds are private property they can choose to implement as little or as much as they want although I’d suspect t most will try and stick to it.

Some might want to praise the EFL for trying to be proactive but it seems like a waste of time given the government could turn round tomorrow and say stadiums can open. Equally, as given the trend of bizarre decision making, they could enforce them being shut for the foreseeable.

Surely they’d be better placed looking at ways to ensure the vast majority of their members survive through this. If they believe iFollow is an income generator like ST and match day tickets they’re deluded.

The guidance is more convoluted and woolly than the 345 versions put out for schools.

I would say surely the EFL realise that with these restrictions they are going to be making the game unsustainable for most clubs, if not all. But then it's the EFL we are talking about so maybe they dont.
Unless every club seriously reduces their playing budgets, considering they already have contracted players deals to honour, how can they stay within the financial fair play rules with the reduced income ?  
We know that our season budget is set based loosely on projected attendances, expected cup runs (football fortune) and that as a club we have stayed within budgets more or less, so if we believe we will be down to gates of 2000 our budget will be halved, if that was the case then i dont see how we could sign another player for this season with the committed deals we already have.
Repeat that throughout the leagues and you have a serious issue.

Posted by: aldi_01, July 28, 2020, 8:39am; Reply: 80
Quoted from moosey_club

I would say surely the EFL realise that with these restrictions they are going to be making the game unsustainable for most clubs, if not all. But then it's the EFL we are talking about so maybe they dont.
Unless every club seriously reduces their playing budgets, considering they already have contracted players deals to honour, how can they stay within the financial fair play rules with the reduced income ?  
We know that our season budget is set based loosely on projected attendances, expected cup runs (football fortune) and that as a club we have stayed within budgets more or less, so if we believe we will be down to gates of 2000 our budget will be halved, if that was the case then i dont see how we could sign another player for this season with the committed deals we already have.
Repeat that throughout the leagues and you have a serious issue.

That’s pretty much my point. The EFL simply don’t have any idea.

There’s unlikely to be any real support mechanism or packages given the fact that each football club operates differently. Surely any money that comes in to a club which has large deficits will go on wiping debt so in the end it still doesn’t help.

I’ve seen some more tripe this morning that chanting could be an issue. I mean I know the top flight and 98% of it’s fans don’t really give a excrement given crowds aren’t important and they’ve proven it can operate without. The sanitisation of football is there for all to see. At our level it’s somewhat different and quite frankly, if chanting or shouting or cheering are now things that can allegedly be problematic then personally we might as well give it up and forget about football.

I can’t see how these ridiculous suggestions, albeit rough draft guidelines can ever be workable. Aside from the obvious of how you choose who is allowed in, but the constant sanitising of the game, clubs burdened with pre-existing contracts which have to be honoured and then incomes halved or more just spells a recipe.

Is all this simply to start the season on 12th September? If stadiums will be able to open fully without restriction in October then surely just wait.

I’m certainly no fan of the government but as I said previously, any government would be hard pushed to justify handing cash to a club that is essentially owned by a millionaire, operates at a loss and serves less than ten percent of its local community (I do understand that actually GTFC for instance, contrary to the NIMBYs and the boring girl privates is singly the biggest attraction to draw large crowds regularly locally and provides some great community support).

Will any sky money filter down? Even if it does, I can’t see it being anywhere near enough to help budgets remain sustainable but also allow clubs to be competitive.

Could we see a decline in quality but an up turn in younger players and YT lads breaking through purely out of necessity?

Or will clubs look at the guidance, when it’s eventually published, realise it’s simply that and just open. Pay lip service to social distancing and open the stadiums, gamble on folk turning up and not being worried or scared? Personally I think ST are likely to be hit because of the financial fallout of all this rather than people worried they might catch something.

We all know though that it’s a big flipping mess. Top flight clubs will still spend millions this summer and it’ll be celebrated as it always is, like spending over a billion is some measure of success and the rest will be left to fend for themselves and the EFL will continue to be ineffective...
Posted by: GrimRob, July 28, 2020, 10:01am; Reply: 81
If worse comes to worse clubs will have to go semi pro. Plenty of non-league teams survive on gates of low hundreds, there are full time teams with much smaller gates than any teams in league two gets. Fans and officials everywhere will have to do what it takes to stop their clubs from dying.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 28, 2020, 10:26am; Reply: 82
So, I haven't seen an explanation on how the 2000 (or however many it is), will be selected and what happens on match day if hundreds more try to get in?
Posted by: Hagrid, July 28, 2020, 10:52am; Reply: 83
Quoted from 123614
So, I haven't seen an explanation on how the 2000 (or however many it is), will be selected and what happens on match day if hundreds more try to get in?

the club have stated they are waiting for more guidance.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 28, 2020, 4:31pm; Reply: 84
Ahh thank you.
Posted by: mimma, July 28, 2020, 11:27pm; Reply: 85
My solution is to tape up every other seat so they can't be used. Stagger the next row so that the person in front is sat in front of an empty seat. That would give us approx. just over 4,000 seats.

I know this will be unpopular, but, make the wearing of masks compulsory. If you haven't got one on, you don't get in. Our stewards enforce it, if you take it off, you're asked to either put it back on, or you are removed from the ground.

Not ideal, but workable, and means that we can at least watch the mighty mariners again.

With away fans banned from travelling, what's the bets we draw Man. Utd. away!!!
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, July 28, 2020, 11:56pm; Reply: 86
I think you are spot on Mimma
Posted by: aldi_01, July 29, 2020, 5:22am; Reply: 87
Whilst I see where you’re coming from RE the masks, it is unlikely that will happen. There are trials taking place now and the wearing of masks isn’t compulsory, and the event is taking place outdoors, the wearing of masks isn’t entirely necessary.

The taping up of every other seat, again, whilst I see the logic is unlikely. What about those folk who attend and take small children or are from the same household? If you can sit 6 or whatever it is to a table in a boozer, inside, then why would they over complicate at football which is fundamentally outdoor.

With a certain cretin as the safety officer and the EFL’s inability to do very little right I can see it being a farce, add to that the incompetence of the government and it seems like it could be an over complicated mess.

My view was that the club telling fans about draft guidance wasn’t helpful, that will remain my view, especially given the discussions which have taken place since. That guidance could literally be in the bin by the end of the week. I think it would’ve been better for the club to simply explain that there are discussions taking place, defat guidance is being circulated to gather opinion to help inform the final piece of guidance. At the his stage I’m probably more interested in how the club will approach staffing with furlough being wound down and how we are likely to move forward with signing players and the like.

Like I say, I don’t disagree with the comments about masks or seat restrictions ms everyone is entitled to their opinion on it but the questions I pose are likely to be posed by several others.

Side note, unnoticed that the cinema has a basic yet effective ticketing system which only allows certain seats to be sold in order for them to ensure social distancing...given we still hand write all ST sales, how would this look for the club should it be necessary to do? The sale of STs is going to look different and unlike others, I’m not convinced we’ll shift that many for varying reasons...can the club put themselves in a position where only ST can gain entry?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 29, 2020, 7:32am; Reply: 88
Cricket authorities have agreed to let Surrey and Warwickshire cricket that they can have 2,500 spectators from August 1st.

They have much bigger grounds with more static fans than GTFC, so unless things change looks like 1500 to 2000 fans is all we can get.

However there is still a few weeks to see if the cricket experiment works, so here’s hoping for improvement in infection levels.

I don't know if it's changed these days, but when I occasionally went to watch a County match at Grace Road you could count the number of spectators on one hand!
Posted by: psgmariner, July 31, 2020, 8:34am; Reply: 89
Rumours that the no drinking in view of the pitch laws may be relaxed to increase revenues and avoid unnecessary close contact.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 31, 2020, 8:42am; Reply: 90
So if this is only guidance, what would happen if the EFL League clubs decided to open the gates to fans anyway?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 31, 2020, 10:49am; Reply: 91
Quoted from psgmariner
Rumours that the no drinking in view of the pitch laws may be relaxed to increase revenues and avoid unnecessary close contact.

Good idear, but are they going to allow flasks. Yes seriously less chance of infection if you are drinking from you own flask.

Posted by: Hagrid, July 31, 2020, 12:31pm; Reply: 92
Pilot for sports fans returning pushed back to middle of august
Posted by: It Bites, July 31, 2020, 12:48pm; Reply: 93
No fans will be at BP for a long time
Posted by: psgmariner, July 31, 2020, 12:53pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from It Bites
No fans will be at BP for a long time

It does make you wonder whether next season is worth the bother. A whole season of zero crowds and a tiny bit of i-follow revenue. Not sure how that pays the bills.
Posted by: Sammo, July 31, 2020, 1:01pm; Reply: 95
10am today Spectators allowed back into the Crucible for the World Snooker Championship, 12.30 told cannot attend from tomorrow.

Surely the hope of spectators in sports grounds by October is now just a bit too hopeful, is there any point starting the season on 12th September if October is looking unlikely. There has to be a point where we just have to live with the virus being around and make our own minds up when it comes to attending mass gatherings.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 31, 2020, 1:21pm; Reply: 96
There’s no way L1 or 2 are viable for next season . Instead of having a load of arguing and fooking about from the likes of Peterborough’s and FGR owners a decision to scrap next season for the good of the preserving the future of clubs . God knows where that leaves our players and I feel for them . If we can’t pay them as seems likely sooner or later then they’ll be free agents .
Posted by: Boris Johnson, July 31, 2020, 1:39pm; Reply: 97
There’s no way L1 or 2 are viable for next season . Instead of having a load of arguing and fooking about from the likes of Peterborough’s and FGR owners a decision to scrap next season for the good of the preserving the future of clubs . God knows where that leaves our players and I feel for them . If we can’t pay them as seems likely sooner or later then they’ll be free agents .

i dont see how a whole season without football can lead to anything but the demise and end of clubs such as ours...
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 31, 2020, 1:55pm; Reply: 98
I’m guessing it’ll be a case of mothballing clubs for a year . No staff means no costs and it’ll be up to the club and fans to try to inject funds through the share issue / crowdfunding / commercial and merchandise income streams to keep things afloat until things recommence . The club did survive through 2 world wars for 4 or 5 years remember.
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 31, 2020, 2:14pm; Reply: 99
I’m guessing it’ll be a case of mothballing clubs for a year . No staff means no costs and it’ll be up to the club and fans to try to inject funds through the share issue / crowdfunding / commercial and merchandise income streams to keep things afloat until things recommence . The club did survive through 2 world wars for 4 or 5 years remember.

This is exactly it.  It's a bit like the Telegraph recently announcing "The Notts Pub to close forever" - I saw this and said to the missus, that won't stay shut forever, how can the previous landlord dictate that?!  The building is still there; it's not like a business goes pop and they get the wrecking ball in right away to demolish the place, it's still physically there.  Lo and behold, about 2 weeks later they announce The Notts is opening again!

Mothballing is the key.  I'm not sure how we'd deal with the fact we have contracted players, and how (if) they'd get paid, but if there were no other staff for a year, it would just be a case of the fans sweeping up the ground every now and again, doing a bit of volunteer work, and hopefully keeping the burglars out.

I know there's more to it than that, but no football doesn't mean no football club, it just means no staff getting their wages.  Which is bad, but not as bad as the club folding.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 31, 2020, 5:40pm; Reply: 100
I would guess that the vast majority of the staff are fans anyway so as hard as it’ll be the longevity of GTFC is in the whole towns benefit .

* although I’m sure there will be vultures circling like GBM . See the Louth Town thread *
Posted by: toontown, August 1, 2020, 3:03pm; Reply: 101
I would think the postponement of the trial sports events with crowds, and the comments by the chief medical officer that we are at the limits of freedoms that can be achieved without increasing the virus will probably reinforce th cautious approach by town.

Personally I think compulsory face masks and every other seat empty should Surely be sufficient in an outside environment. Seatimg staggered so th seat in front of you is not filled. Bar would have to be seated only and maybelimits on number allowed into toiletsat one time. It can be done but it would be a weird return, but better than nothing and so much is weirdnow anyway.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 9:22am