Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 205 Guests

Vernam

This thread currently has 39,929 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
July 6, 2020, 12:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Nutsy
If someone has the inclination to leave, let them leave.

Similar situation to Dembele; quality player, even a match-winner when on form.

We move on.

Although thinking about it Vernam-Hanson-Dembele would have been quite thrilling......  

Provided we can keep Mr Holloway, I got a feeling that the football is going to be more entertaining than in the past.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 188
Stranger in the Park
July 6, 2020, 12:34pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
There's a lot to be said for being a big fish in a little pond, accolades,respect,fame (locally at least). How many times have we seen  someone-usually a striker- have a purple patch with Town and then move on and basically fail to live up to their reputations elsewhere,only to then enter into a downward spiral. Ambition or greed ,or lack of a backbone to defy a pushy agent; there are many  excuses to move on without a moments thought to the club that put you on the map. Personally, I think CV will just join a long list of ex-Town failures,who's long term abilities are questionable.Wiser to know when you are well off where you are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 188
mimma
July 6, 2020, 1:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,571
Gold Stars: 78
There's a lot to be said for being a big fish in a little pond, accolades,respect,fame (locally at least). How many times have we seen  someone-usually a striker- have a purple patch with Town and then move on and basically fail to live up to their reputations elsewhere,only to then enter into a downward spiral. Ambition or greed ,or lack of a backbone to defy a pushy agent; there are many  excuses to move on without a moments thought to the club that put you on the map. Personally, I think CV will just join a long list of ex-Town failures,who's long term abilities are questionable.Wiser to know when you are well off where you are.

Were you thinking of Omar Bogle by any chance?

Have to agree with the sentiment of your post. There are literally dozens of examples of players moving "to better themselves" from Town but few actually achieve it.

We now have a manager that we can say with confidence that can get the best out of the team, so unless the money is a lot more, or the contract is longer, then staying is now a better option than it has ever been.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 188
Ipswin
July 6, 2020, 2:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
FFS if we can't manage to keep a player when we simply have to take up a one year option already in his contract we may as well pack it in, bit like forgetting to renew the alcohol licence at BP - totally inept.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 188
TownSNAFU5
July 6, 2020, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,875
Gold Stars: 42
Missing a drink licence is not as bad as mistakingly signing the wrong player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 188
Ipswin
July 6, 2020, 2:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Missing a drink licence is not as bad as mistakingly signing the wrong player.

I presume you are not referring to Vernam after all there have been a lot of mistakingly signed 'wrong players'  to choose from over the years

We didn't even have to sign Vernam anyway all we had to do was simply take up the option of another year

Easy, unless you are on the board of GTFC of course

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 188
Wrawby_Mariner
July 6, 2020, 2:54pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
I think this is a real shame, I am sure the club did not forget to extend his contract, because nobody, not even Grimsby town could be that moronic, but let’s have a look at the bigger picture.

We are in the same boat as everybody else, nobody has any facking money, especially those in league one and two. League one clubs will be poaching decent league two players on league two money and With this in mind, we really need to take advantage of struggling national league clubs, and take decent players from cash-strapped clubs for as little as possible.

Lower league players will either have to take a dramatic cut in salary when signing for new club, or national league players wanting to make that step up have the opportunity to do so......

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 66 - 188
cannylad68
July 6, 2020, 3:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Am I missing something?
Has CV actually signed for another club?
In today's climate, I would have thought it best to sign with Town for another year.
No doubt his head has been turned by his agent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 188
Abdul19
July 6, 2020, 3:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from cannylad68
Am I missing something?
Has CV actually signed for another club?
In today's climate, I would have thought it best to sign with Town for another year.
No doubt his head has been turned by his agent.

But he might have been offered three years with someone else, on more money?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 188
cannylad68
July 6, 2020, 4:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Has he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 188
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.