Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 376 Guests

Vernam

This thread currently has 39,740 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
July 5, 2020, 12:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club

Exactly, using the EFL as an excuse sounds a bit of a cop out to me, i am sure we would have offered the extension without hesitation normally but with income being tight and future revenue stream unknown i imagine the club took a business decision and decided not to offer an extension for now until there was a clearer  picture to avoid paying out unnecessarily.

Way too early to say whether or not this is a good or bad thing for us overall, football WILL be completely different to what we knew so one player walking away from us could lead to others players walking in under very similar circumstances.

Considering the number of footballers and staff on the books would one more player have made that much difference when we will likely be having to sign some more soon.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 188
fishboyUTM
July 5, 2020, 12:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Davec

Yes Holloway said on Humberside just now that the EFL advised us not to activate the automatic contract extension so we didn't. And Vernam and his agent has said "we are free agent then"

As you'd expect if you are the player.

I will hold Ian Fleming personally responsible if we lose our best player on what would surely be a free transfer despite his age, as we haven't offered him a deal at all. When we had an option on his contract. Charles Vernam is an absolute star at this level and if he is effectively released on a free, then the CEO who has been around a very long time, and we are looking at 16 years at league 2 level or even below should be held responsible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 188
Kris2
July 5, 2020, 12:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I will hold Ian Fleming personally responsible if we lose our best player on what would surely be a free transfer despite his age, as we haven't offered him a deal at all. When we had an option on his contract. Charles Vernam is an absolute star at this level and if he is effectively released on a free, then the CEO who has been around a very long time, and we are looking at 16 years at league 2 level or even below should be held responsible.

Feels like a bit of an exaggeration. Found some good form after new year but spent much of the season before that phoning it in before being shipped off to the bottom of the  National League to find some confidence. At that point nobody complained and felt he hadn't lived up to expectation. Would rather have kept him than lose him but with things as they are it might have been too difficult. I think we can find a replacement for him though, I don't think he was some indispensable superstar.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 188
SDUTM
July 5, 2020, 2:36am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +179
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from fishboyUTM

How can you hold Ian Fleming responsible? Every penny spent at the club and every players contract is controlled by Fenty. Fenty is the only one at the club with money however does not want to put money in and therefore does not want the club to spend anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 188
Mikey_345
July 5, 2020, 6:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,272
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from SDUTM

How can you hold Ian Fleming responsible? Every penny spent at the club and every players contract is controlled by Fenty. Fenty is the only one at the club with money however does not want to put money in and therefore does not want the club to spend anything.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but in times like these I’m bloody glad someone like Fenty is and has been controlling the money....

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 188
aldi_01
July 5, 2020, 8:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Well run club and all that...

I mean I’m not sure it’s like losing an Amond or Bogle or Groves etc but given the form he found under Holloway one would’ve assumed he’d fair with under him so it could be a loss.

I mean, to be honest, is anyone surprised we copulated this up? It seems to be a member up, whether or not that’s being used as an excuse to cover the fact the club decided not to engage the extension on financial grounds but even that’s a flimsy excuse to be honest.

I’m not sure kicking in Vernam’s contract extension would’ve been that costly regardless of the current climate.

Perhaps it’s a combination of a player fancying his chances at a higher level that his current club are long way from and GTFC just being GTFC and cocking it up...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 188
SDUTM
July 5, 2020, 9:21am
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345

Might be an unpopular opinion, but in times like these I’m bloody glad someone like Fenty is and has been controlling the money....

I wasn’t knocking Fenty just simply stating that he controls everything financial at the club not Ian Fleming. If people want to be angry about the Vernam contract then they need to be angry at the right person as Ian Holloway stated, John Fenty is a hell of a contract negotiator! Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn’t and this time it appears that we have come unstuck. I would imagine that the club is now offering lower terms and Charles thinks that he’s worth more so going elsewhere? Wages will drop however for good players the demand will still be there and players agents will play clubs off against each other in order to get their client the best deal. I don’t think that we could trigger the added year on reduced terms as they have to be the same amount or more and therefore if offered less, Charles could and is allowed to walk away any how.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 188
SDUTM
July 5, 2020, 9:24am
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Well run club and all that...

I mean I’m not sure it’s like losing an Amond or Bogle or Groves etc but given the form he found under Holloway one would’ve assumed he’d fair with under him so it could be a loss.

I mean, to be honest, is anyone surprised we copulated this up? It seems to be a member up, whether or not that’s being used as an excuse to cover the fact the club decided not to engage the extension on financial grounds but even that’s a flimsy excuse to be honest.

I’m not sure kicking in Vernam’s contract extension would’ve been that costly regardless of the current climate.

Perhaps it’s a combination of a player fancying his chances at a higher level that his current club are long way from and GTFC just being GTFC and cocking it up...

You can’t take up the optional extra year on reduced terms (money, bonus etc) it has to be the same otherwise the other party is allowed to walk for free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 188
gtfc82
July 5, 2020, 9:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from SDUTM

You can’t take up the optional extra year on reduced terms (money, bonus etc) it has to be the same otherwise the other party is allowed to walk for free.

Good point, and maybe the club can't afford to be paying him the same amount, considering the financial losses they've suffered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 188
July 5, 2020, 9:55am
Guest User
would be nice to think it may open the way to cover Bogles wages .
Reply: 39 - 188
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.