Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 329 Guests

Vernam

This thread currently has 39,930 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
July 14, 2020, 8:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from denni266
Not that worried about him going,, was only average with the odd good game thrown in and often injured.. So moving up a league will improve his wages but wear his shorts out bench warming .Imo he is not league 1 standard and will soon be found out

I think that's harsh.  He'd found his feet here and he was our most exciting player.  There aren't many players at L2 level who could have scored THAT goal at Colchester, for example.  A big loss for us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 188
jamesgtfc
July 14, 2020, 9:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
There is certainly a player in there but he only really performed for us a handful of times. He was probably restricted under the previous regime and Holloway took the chains off but he knows better than anyone that in 6 months time, the only football he could be able to play might be at the bottom of the National League, so you have to grasp an opportunity when it comes along.

Vernam and Clarke leaving gives Max an opportunity and Tilley should get a run of games now too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 188
Croxton
July 14, 2020, 9:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
One of the few players in the last three years who could take on defenders and attack the box. If we had played a slightly higher tempo through midfield in some home games instead of sideways across the back then Charles would have had more opportunities. Our style of playing long diagonal passes to forwards with their back to goal and a giant defender in attendance was a limitation our coaches put on his ability. Max will suffer a similar fate unless we can find the right blend in midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 188
pen penfras
July 14, 2020, 9:42am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc
There is certainly a player in there but he only really performed for us a handful of times. He was probably restricted under the previous regime and Holloway took the chains off but he knows better than anyone that in 6 months time, the only football he could be able to play might be at the bottom of the National League, so you have to grasp an opportunity when it comes along.

Vernam and Clarke leaving gives Max an opportunity and Tilley should get a run of games now too.

That's why I think it's a big gamble for him to leave. Holloway will play football to his strengths and wanted him to be an important part of the team. I don't know what football Burton play, but if he isn't given the right service, we've seen how anonymous he can be.

I suppose a higher level and a bit more money is tempting, but I think a year of playing the way he did for those few games would have opened up bigger opportunities for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 188
diehardmariner
July 14, 2020, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Very disappointed he's gone.  It's not just the Colchester game, he was peerless for quite a few games post Xmas, in fact it was in the Scunny home derby where he seemed to have found his bite and never looked back.  Bradford away he was incredible and was a real feeling that whenever he got the ball something was about to happen.  In every sense of the world a confidence player and one who had he maintained anything like his post Xmas form would, in my opinion, have proved to be one of the very best players in this division.

That all said, he's just one player.  We've had key players leave before and we've replaced them.  Remember the absolute meltdown when Carl Magnay left, we ended up replacing him with a player in Richard Tait who was even better.

Torn between feelings on how the club has handled this.  On one hand they've gone with the FL advice and who would go against what your governing body advises?  Then again this is the FL and I'd be reluctant to trust their advice on a bus timetable, never mind the legalities of contract extensions.

Completely unprecedented times, there really isn't any previous examples where you can reference for what to do here.  It's unfortunately one of those things.  Town were caught on the hop by the situation and in all honesty it's played nicely into the hands of a player and his agent.  Can't blame Vernam for wanting to better himself, be it professionally or financially.  Slightly disappointed as we've supported him for 2 years when he's spent a lot of that injured, under the guidance of Holloway and Limbrick he's rebuilt himself, his confidence and his reputation.  But that's football.

What goes against the clubs handling of this is that they've got so much previous for making a member up of contracts.  Danny Butterfield anyone?  I think they were between a rock and a hard place here.  It's only recently that a return has been on the cards for Town, even still not knowing under what guise and how the finances are going to work.  We're not cash rich so it would have been foolish to start chucking new contracts out.  Flip of that is what it worth the gamble on extending Vernam's contract when we had the chance for the sake of getting maybe another 6 months out of him playing next season?

No right and no wrong answers as I see it.  Just very unfortunate.  
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 188
jamesgtfc
July 14, 2020, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pen penfras

That's why I think it's a big gamble for him to leave. Holloway will play football to his strengths and wanted him to be an important part of the team. I don't know what football Burton play, but if he isn't given the right service, we've seen how anonymous he can be.

I suppose a higher level and a bit more money is tempting, but I think a year of playing the way he did for those few games would have opened up bigger opportunities for him.

We don't know the details and probably never will but if he has trebled his money on a 2 year deal, it probably sets him up for life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 188
grimsby pete
July 14, 2020, 10:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from jamesgtfc

We don't know the details and probably never will but if he has trebled his money on a 2 year deal, it probably sets him up for life.

I thought he was signing for Burton not Barcelona.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 188
pen penfras
July 14, 2020, 11:29am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'd be amazed if he's on more than £2k a week. No way is he set up for life playing 2 years in league 1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 188
marinerjase
July 14, 2020, 11:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,649
Gold Stars: 147
As usual diehardmariner sums it up perfectly.  You can’t deny any player wanting to play at a better level or earn more - certainly in this day and age - so good luck to him in that respect.

On the other hand - is a shame when people within club and colleagues have helped ‘resurrect’ his career, and given him the opportunity. Would have been nice to see him stay for a season, or even part of - sure it would’ve benefitted him and the club. But guess with all the uncertainty of these times, agents role etc - as said, you have to respect his position and wish him well.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 188
louth_in_the_south
July 14, 2020, 11:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,686
Gold Stars: 96
I doubt there’s a single person on here who would turn down the opportunity of doubling their wages at the minute if they were offered it . Football is a job to these guys, not a passion like us fans .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 188
19 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.