Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 210 Guests

Vernam

This thread currently has 39,898 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
July 14, 2020, 11:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Am I the only one that preferred his goal against Stevenage to the one against Colchester?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 188
Heisenberg
July 14, 2020, 11:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I doubt there’s a single person on here who would turn down the opportunity of doubling their wages at the minute if they were offered it . Football is a job to these guys, not a passion like us fans .

Agreed, but how are clubs like Burton planning on paying these wages when they, and we, have no clear guidance on when, or if, football will return?  Seems a hell of a gamble to me.  But football never learns, the majority of clubs will learn nothing from this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 188
MarinerDevil
July 14, 2020, 12:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 188
Bigdog
July 14, 2020, 12:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Heisenberg

Agreed, but how are clubs like Burton planning on paying these wages when they, and we, have no clear guidance on when, or if, football will return?  Seems a hell of a gamble to me.  But football never learns, the majority of clubs will learn nothing from this.

Why does everyone think that every single club is following the GTFC financial model of only cutting to the barest bones possible while hoping for a handout and not keeping their best players? It's not the only option for an EFL club. Some are attracting fresh investment, some owners are plugging the temporary financial gap so their clubs don't fall so far behind that it will take years to catch up. What also worries me is that BC and CV don't share Ollie's vision. That's one player that's thrived playing under him and previously stated he was looking forward to next season and the other is in IH's own words,  a mate, and we couldn't offer JH anything. Surely some alarm bells should be ringing by now?

In a Manchester based radio interview the other day, post the Wigan fiasco, Philip Day was putting forward a very good proposal that new owners of football clubs should pay a bond to the value of two year's overheads before taking over. A very good proposal yet perversely PD and his board of directors aren't currently practising what they preach at all, not covering our own overheads, and are letting our better players slip through their fingers and Ollie can't convince them to stay even though he's been working with them already. It's going to be even harder for him trying to sell that vision to the better out of contract players on offer that he hasn't any history with.

I'm just surprised that so many fans seem fairly relaxed with how things are at GTFC, or is it just reluctant resignation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 188
mimma
July 14, 2020, 1:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
We are not cutting everything to the barest bones as you infer, we are living within our means. There's a big difference.  Burton by virtue of having been playing at a higher level than us, having several good cup runs, have generated a bigger income than us.

What alternative do you suggest, preferably one that doesn't risk financial ruin?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 188
jamesgtfc
July 14, 2020, 1:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Said from the start that we can't offer a player a contract whilst the core of our squad sit there without 25% of their wages. We made Vernam an offer that included a 25% wage cut for the same period as everyone else.

Can you imagine the unrest if we extended his contract and told him he wouldn't have a pay cut like everyone else?

The core of our squad is alright. There are a few clubs making moves but not too many. I think once the Premier League, Championship and National League is resolved in the next few weeks we will have more clarity about what the future holds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 188
Bigdog
July 14, 2020, 1:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma
We are not cutting everything to the barest bones as you infer, we are living within our means. There's a big difference.  Burton by virtue of having been playing at a higher level than us, having several good cup runs, have generated a bigger income than us.

What alternative do you suggest, preferably one that doesn't risk financial ruin?

You move heaven and earth to improve our means..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 188
jamesgtfc
July 14, 2020, 1:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Bigdog

You move heaven and earth to improve our means..

By doing whatever it takes to secure a player or 2 and risk upsetting 11 others?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 188
mimma
July 14, 2020, 1:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
How do we move heaven and earth then bigdog?

It's easy to say, I would suggest that in the current economic climate we find ourselves in, it is much harder to achieve. We are not blessed with multi millionaires in NE Lincs, willing to invest millions on a small provincial club. We are not blessed with massive global companies on our doorstep looking to invest in the local economy. In short, this area doesn't have the money of big cities. We are skint.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 188
Bigdog
July 14, 2020, 2:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma
How do we move heaven and earth then bigdog?

It's easy to say, I would suggest that in the current economic climate we find ourselves in, it is much harder to achieve. We are not blessed with multi millionaires in NE Lincs, willing to invest millions on a small provincial club. We are not blessed with massive global companies on our doorstep looking to invest in the local economy. In short, this area doesn't have the money of big cities. We are skint.

Well I would hope that there has been a re-engagement with anyone who has a chance, remote or not, to improve the club's temporary financial standing..

I'm agreeing with Philip Day, owners should provide a bond of two year's overheads in the case of a downturn in a club's fortunes. If he lived up to the standards he sets for others we wouldn't be in this mess of saving 20k or so with player wage cuts which then hamstrings us from holding onto our best players never mind signing any new ones. Our board can't come up with less than 100k between then to avoid a wage cut and hang onto probably our best three players , BC, CV and JH, to keep the semblance of a promising squad together. I don't expect new signings even though around 15 EFL clubs are making them already, but by Philip Day's standards he is publicly setting for anyone in the future, as a fan, I'd have expected him to find the means to hang onto three of my favourite players at the club. I'm more than happy for the club to be cutting it's cloth accordingly at present as long as it's actively looking for new cloths to help out the tatty well worn out rag we're using..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 188
19 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.