Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley sacked
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 30 Guests

Jolley sacked

This thread currently has 50,954 views. Print
28 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
November 15, 2019, 3:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,412
Gold Stars: 534
I think he was dropped because he’s been excrement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 277
jamesgtfc
November 15, 2019, 3:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Heisenberg

I believe that MJ told Clifton he was not part of his plans as he couldn't rely on him being around due to international call-ups with Wales.

Wow. If true this is terrible. At this level, any player receiving international recognition is an outstanding achievement and should be rewarded.

Interestingly, we relied upon Embleton last season despite his unavailability due to international call-ups.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 277
arryarryarry
November 15, 2019, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MarinerDevil
The board sacking someone for treating Radio Humberside with contempt?  Hmm.

Trust me it wasn't just that.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 277
chrissy
November 15, 2019, 3:42pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Farage is buying the club and wants his own man in charge .  ( joke )  

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 277
TownSNAFU5
November 15, 2019, 3:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Yes he did keep us in the League and we should always be grateful for that.

However, he has all his own players this season.Despite this he has "nor kicked-on" as was reasonably expected by the fans, at least.

Ignoring the games in hand, the football has been dire this season.  Team selections and where individuala played often baffling,tactics all over the place.  Playing with fear at home, and losing badly, was probably the last straw for the Board.

There was no plan B in front of goal. This exposed his tactical abilities.

Ironically, playing defensively at home to try and get points cost him when this failed.  Taking a more expansive and attacking game at home might well have resulted in better results.  Certainly better performances. And higher gates.

The timing does seem odd.  This is GTFC though.   Maybe a deciding factor has been issues behind the scenes?  Even senior players voicing dissent?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 277
arryarryarry
November 15, 2019, 3:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Yes he did keep us in the League and we should always be grateful for that.

However, he has all his own players this season.Despite this he has "nor kicked-on" as was reasonably expected by the fans, at least.

Ignoring the games in hand, the football has been dire this season.  Team selections and where individuala played often baffling,tactics all over the place.  Playing with fear at home, and losing badly, was probably the last straw for the Board.

There was no plan B in front of goal. This exposed his tactical abilities.

Ironically, playing defensively at home to try and get points cost him when this failed.  Taking a more expansive and attacking game at home might well have resulted in better results.  Certainly better performances. And higher gates.

The timing does seem odd.  This is GTFC though.   Maybe a deciding factor has been issues behind the scenes?  Even senior players voicing dissent?

The comment regarding senior players isn't far from the truth.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 277
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 15, 2019, 3:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
If I am to be totally honest I never rated his appointment which did not win me many friends. . But Jolley had achieved very little of note anywhere for any length of time. If you look at his employment record in football and prior to football he has never stayed long in one place. You might even say he has moved on before calamity struck. I was always suspicious of people I interviewed who had a CV like that.

Well, if you go through a pre-season with your new signings showing good form and looking settled but for no apparent reason you start changing things around and the results become inconsistent ...... something is definitely wrong. I don't know why he did that or what has happened behind closed doors but something has and the two things must be connected.

To summarise the bloke, he talks well, perhaps too well and he is clearly bright. In fact there were times when he seemed to treat team selection and tactics as some kind of intellectual exercise. I cannot bring myself to comment nicely on his appreciation fred because apart from getting a few points to keep us up he has actually achieved bu99er all since then. And if I remember rightly he was just about the only candidate left after noses turned up at Sol Campbell and Askey turned us down.

He is not a manager but he likes the suit. I would not be at all surprised to see him leave football management for some vague FA role or even some minor coaching role at Burnley or somewhere. His track record suggests he might go away from the game altogether. Whatever he does, I wish him well ....... but he was not for this club.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 277
rancido

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
In his statement MJ makes reference to the budget but this is a cop out. He knew the budget in the summer and knew what he had to work with. Why sign Green, a fading star from a club not deemed good enough for league 2 by Salford. Why sign Hanson, a proven target man, and then not play to his strengths. Why have Cardwell and Vernham on the books and not utilise them. Why keep changing the players to fit the format instead of picking players who suit the format.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 277
Jaws
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
I've heard through lots of people that the players were unhappy about Jolley but I suspect a lot of this is leaked out through the same player who seems to blab about everything that goes in behind closed doors.

Not entirely sure who can replace him and be a big enough drawer to keep the attendances up.
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 277
diehardmariner
November 15, 2019, 4:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,611
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Son of Cod

Apart from the fact that when he came in we hadn't won in about three months and were about to go down to the Conference again...

And in fairness he got a free pass last season as a result of it.

There was a huge element of luck in staying up that season but to Jolley's absolute credit he got the best out of that team and made them work as a unit.  We stayed up with a front 3 of Hooper, Cardwell and Clifton.  I wouldn't even want to go into a reserve team friendly against a pub side with a front 3 like that, but Jolley somehow got it working.  He identified very quickly that Mitch Rose's long throw was an asset.  He managed to get Nathan Clarke looking relatively solid.

But this season was meant to be about moving forward.  We haven't.  The first few weeks teased as to how it could be and what we could do but he hasn't followed it up.  We've regressed and regardless of what's gone on off the field, we're just not good enough overall.  We're not fulfilling our potential at all and the entertainment value is non-existent, hence the understandable drop in gates.
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 277
28 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley sacked

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.