Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley sacked
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Jolley sacked

This thread currently has 50,413 views. Print
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
November 15, 2019, 12:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from mimma
Read the last just Back thread folks. The football has become god awful to watch and fans are voting with their feet. Jolley seems stuck on defending even at home and trying to catch teams on the break. Slade got sacked for exactly the same reason. Jolley was too dogmatic.  He couldn't see that it was awful to watch. He has every coaching badge going but on one very boring style of play.

The next manager should get the job promising to at least try to attack.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 277
mariner91
November 15, 2019, 12:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Tommy
Surprised at the negative reaction so far on this thread.

I wasn't calling for his head but am absolutely not bothered that he's gone.

Did a good job to keep us up when he first came in, finding the 4-1-4-1 formula that did a job and stuck with it to get us over the line and finished the season well.

Last season spent all summer building to play 3-5-2 without having suitable wing-backs to make it work, then abandoned it before August was out. Winning and losing sequences throughout the year and a comfortable mid-table finish which, as boring as it might be, was an improvement on the relegation scrap the year before.

This season has been the disappointment for me. Expecting us to kick, we signed some good players in the summer. Even if the squad's still a little unbalanced, we have some players of really good pedigree and some good young players.

The tactics and team selections have absolutely baffled me at times. Going man-for-man at Chelsea was absolutely mental. Yeah we'd have probably lost anyway but going to a team of £40million players marking them all man-to-man all over the pitch, made it far easier for them than it could've been. Therein lies an issue. That could be a good approach tactically, but you've got to know when to use certain tactical systems, not just use something because it's worked before in a different scenario.

I might be wrong but I get the impression that we work on a different game-plan every week, depending on who we're playing against. Even if it's not just to counter the opposition strengths, its how to exploit their weaknesses. I don't disagree that you should look at how to exploit oppositions weaknesses, but in my eyes that would be little tweaks or focuses in a certain area adding to what we already do, not changing the plan every week to suit.

The use of players out of position is an ongoing problem. And I personally think Mattie Pollock should be playing regularly. I know MJ has given Max Wright and Pollock their debuts, and got Clifton in the team regularly, but I'd have had Wright and Pollock in the team more than they have been this season. So whilst people say he's given youth a chance, they've only had the odd chance and then been back out again.

Had he stayed, I think we'd have plodded along as a lower midtable/safe bottom half type of team. But i think we could and should be doing better than that.

When he came in, I have to admit i thought he'd be a modern-minded coach and try get us playing football on the ground in an expansive style of possession football. Instead, he's seemed more "old-school" than anything else, maybe influenced heavily by Sean Dyche at Burnley.

I'll be interested to see if Limbrick, who is well-liked around the Club, will look to change much. His Woking side apparently played really good football before he lost his best players and they began to struggle.

Hardly a disaster. Chance to move us forward.

Good post, don’t disagree with the sacking in a footballing sense. Just surprised at the timing and manner of it.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 277
AlfredTheGreat
November 15, 2019, 12:39pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -164
Insanity of the highest order
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 277
Grantham_Mariner
November 15, 2019, 12:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from AlfredTheGreat
Insanity of the highest order

That's football for you.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 277
Ipswin
November 15, 2019, 12:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Bet Ipswin is laughing his boll0x off and feeling all smug now😂😂

Absofuckinglutely correct although I doubt somehow that he's been sacked (I think Fenty had too much tied up in him with everyone on here saying what a great forward thinking appointment it was and how well Fenty had done to go for Jolley - pushed in no small degree by all the support for the idea on the Fishy - intercourse knows why) I suggest he's just walked.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 277
Posh Harry
November 15, 2019, 12:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from rancido

Maybe the Board has learnt from previous mistakes in persisting with a manager who clearly isn't improving the team. Surely  that's better than the Mr Micawber attitude.

Best one I’ve seen for a while Rancido.

Our board learning 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Brilliant stuff
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 277
chipsandgravy
November 15, 2019, 12:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +3,538
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It’s no flipping good willing the ends Hagrid without willing the means. You’ve been whinging for weeks about Jolley and now admit you haven’t got a clue what to do next when he’s gone!

One of many I am afraid!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 277
cmackenzie4
November 15, 2019, 12:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Wasn’t expecting this, not at this time anyway.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 277
Yoda
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,913
Gold Stars: 62
Great news he had to go performances where worse than Slade.
He couldn’t change a game and always played the percentage game.
Losing the plot with fans and the press.
Attendances where plummeting and that was the last straw for the board.
He gave it a go but in the end was floundering.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 277
mimma
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
Paid the price for boring football and trying to be too clever.

I think that Limbrick could do well. His teams in the past punched above their weight and still managed to play good football.

I wish him well and hope that he gets us playing again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 277
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley sacked

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.