Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 15, 2019, 11:43am
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/november/club-statement/

Posted by: sam gy, November 15, 2019, 11:45am; Reply: 1
Words fail me.
Posted by: Fishy clapper, November 15, 2019, 11:45am; Reply: 2
Great news
Posted by: Maringer, November 15, 2019, 11:45am; Reply: 3
Fecking hell! That's a surprise.

God only knows where we go from here. Hopefully not downwards.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 11:47am; Reply: 4
wtf? didn't see that one coming. any chance we could persuade Tidsdale?
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 15, 2019, 11:48am; Reply: 5
This club is run by morons
Posted by: StickfordMariner, November 15, 2019, 11:49am; Reply: 6
Stunned totally stunned he was connecting the club with the fans, he actually gave a excrement about the club, he was informative in his interviews and gave youth a chance!!! Why literally why!!
Posted by: Dan, November 15, 2019, 11:49am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Chrisblor
This club is run by morons

This is the only logical conclusion.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 15, 2019, 11:50am; Reply: 8
I’m rapidly losing interest now.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 15, 2019, 11:51am; Reply: 9
Fuming...

Be careful what you wish for.
Had a young manager, learning his trade, slowly but surely improving us, and fans called for his head...
Posted by: Brazilnut, November 15, 2019, 11:52am; Reply: 10
Surprised  totally surprised
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 15, 2019, 11:52am; Reply: 11
I think this is really sad news. Can only assume there is a replacement lined up, but after only a short run of bad form and results I have to question why. Jesus, how long did Slade get.

Maybe there is something else behind the scenes but don’t agree with this at all.
Posted by: mariner chopper, November 15, 2019, 11:53am; Reply: 12
Ridiculous. So sick of seeing 'Club Statement' as a headline. Was expecting it to be about the Farage thing but instead this.

Timing doesn't make ANY sense. Only had the FA cup in the last 3 weeks! and this is a full SIX days after that ??

Just don't get it.

Hoping Macclesfield get a points dock because that ONE relegation spot seems like a real possibility.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 15, 2019, 11:53am; Reply: 13
This may have pushed flasks off the agenda for the AGM
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 15, 2019, 11:54am; Reply: 14
Grimsby fans all over... surprised he's gone, yet been calling for his head for weeks
Posted by: MarinerDevil, November 15, 2019, 11:54am; Reply: 15
Mutual consent apparently.  What a week.
Posted by: rancido, November 15, 2019, 11:54am; Reply: 16
Cue loads of suggestions of who should be next manager, most of whom will produce loads of divided and divisive opinions.
Posted by: DavidB, November 15, 2019, 11:55am; Reply: 17
What's the sense in this?

One game in 4 weeks (and still within reach of play-off positions) isn't 'a run of poor results'; and the key to longer term success is stability and continual strengthening of the playing side of the club (Academy through to 1st team) through a consistent strategy.

Are there other reasons behind the scenes (e.g. disagreements about future investment in the squad, some disharmony in relationships within the squad or with the Board) - otherwise this seems harsh and potentially destabilising.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, November 15, 2019, 11:55am; Reply: 18
Wow. Is this the PR department going into overdrive to distract from the Farage debacle?  ;D
Posted by: Hagrid, November 15, 2019, 11:57am; Reply: 19
Wasnt good enough, havent moved forward in 2 years under him leading us. However we have a stagnant boardroom so i do t have a clue where we go from here
Posted by: AndyGTFC, November 15, 2019, 11:58am; Reply: 20
Club is an absolute joke honestly. Don’t even know why we bother.

I’ve not exactly been convinced but bloody hell the same board kept Woods and Slade forever, and the side have had one meaningful game in 3 weeks.
Posted by: mariner91, November 15, 2019, 11:58am; Reply: 21
Something has happened in the background. He's left by mutual consent and his assistant manager hasn't left with him. As bad as Saturday was six days is a long, long time for the board to be deliberating whether to fire him or not. And we've only played once in about four weeks, a match we didn't actually lose so can't be "poor results". As bad as Fenty is he isn't usually one to pull the trigger quickly, look how bad we were under Slade and for such a sustained period of time before he eventually got the axe. Something has happened, what that thing is I have no idea.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 15, 2019, 12:00pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from StickfordMariner
Stunned totally stunned he was connecting the club with the fans, he actually gave a excrement about the club, he was informative in his interviews and gave youth a chance!!! Why literally why!!

In what way was he informative in his interviews?
Posted by: pizzzza, November 15, 2019, 12:00pm; Reply: 23
The clubs a joke, more to this than "run of poor results"
Posted by: Mikoo, November 15, 2019, 12:00pm; Reply: 24
Been begging for a manager to blood youth in for years, finally get one with proven history in youth football who’s slowly improving us, and we do that. I’ve seen Fenty do some stupid things, but this might just be one of the worst
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:01pm; Reply: 25
Not sure that limbrick shouldn't have gone too...
Not really that surprised, it's not only the results but the performances that have been p!as poor for far too long ..

So, ladies and gents,who we betting in for the next manager??
Posted by: moosey_club, November 15, 2019, 12:02pm; Reply: 26
Stunned. Whilst some of the fare we have been served up hasn't been pleasing on the eye and we have the most consistently inconsistent team in the league I am shocked.
Must be one of the only managers in history to leave a club because we have dropped down the table by not playing a game for 3 weeks!!!

Never totally convinced by him but with his introduction and faith in youth players I thought it was going to be a dawn of a new era for the club.

Posted by: marinerdazza, November 15, 2019, 12:02pm; Reply: 27
Thought this place would be buzzing given recent posts...

Another shite chapter. Limbrick will be allowed to limp on for a few games. We’ll drop lower. Limbrick will get sacked. We’ll advertise at the end of January. Applications will be underwhelming. And so on.

Gutted for Jolley as this was likely his only shot and he’d obviously been building up to it for years.

A absolutely shocking week for the club.  

Posted by: chicaneuk, November 15, 2019, 12:02pm; Reply: 28
What the hell. I can't fathom this decision at all. We've just set ourselves back another two years at least, again. This club really is run by fools.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 12:03pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Posh Harry
I think this is really sad news. Can only assume there is a replacement lined up, but after only a short run of bad form and results I have to question why. Jesus, how long did Slade get.

Maybe there is something else behind the scenes but don’t agree with this at all.

i agree Posh. i'm really sorry to see this and i wish him every success in the future, came across as decent, honourable and honest.
i just wonder if he wasn't happy and has decided the job is not for him. i suspect he doesn't need the money or the hassle

alternatively he may have just got sick and tired of having Fenty as a boss ;D ;D 8)
Posted by: SomeSanity, November 15, 2019, 12:03pm; Reply: 30
You can only assume, but something has gone on behind the scenes. I was neither here nor there on Michael Jolley. Yes he was a good up-and-coming manager, but still hadn’t addressed some of the problems the club had on the pitch when he arrived.
Posted by: PB, November 15, 2019, 12:04pm; Reply: 31

He has left 'by mutual consent'.....which brings forward so many questions...

- Had he just had enough of us, or the club, or football management?  
- Does Limbrick want the job?
- Could the timing be much worse?
- Is anyone happy now?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:05pm; Reply: 32
Bet Ipswin is laughing his boll0x off and feeling all smug now😂😂
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 12:05pm; Reply: 33
Unfortunately, this decision is very justifiable.  The timing is strange, which would suggest something has gone on, but you only have to see the comments on here for the last few weeks to see that we have made no progress under Jolley at all.

This season we were told we were "going for it", according to one of the summer signings (apologies, can't remember which one), and the signing of Hanson was at least partial evidence of this.  However, we've made no progress despite signings that appear pretty good on paper.

The floating fans have been deserting the club in recent games, and we are seriously on the slide.

I think it's a little harsh on him as the team hasn't had chance to prove the decline is going to be averted what with postponements, but clearly things in the background haven't been going well at all.

I'm saddened by this, but even my faith in Jolley, as a confirmed pro-Jolley fan, has dropped to around zero in recent weeks, and I believe he'd have taken us even closer to relegation than last season.

My hope for new manager?  Ian Holloway.  I think he'd take it, too.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 15, 2019, 12:05pm; Reply: 34
Don't get this at all. I like Jolley, thought he was moving us forward.
Posted by: supertown, November 15, 2019, 12:06pm; Reply: 35
Amazed and very disappointed.
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 15, 2019, 12:07pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Posh Harry

I’d be amazed if there was a replacement lined up. Whole thing sounds like the result of a row. Unthinkable I know...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 15, 2019, 12:07pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Hagrid
Wasnt good enough, havent moved forward in 2 years under him leading us. However we have a stagnant boardroom so i do t have a clue where we go from here

It’s no flipping good willing the ends Hagrid without willing the means. You’ve been whinging for weeks about Jolley and now admit you haven’t got a clue what to do next when he’s gone!
Posted by: mariner chopper, November 15, 2019, 12:08pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from chicaneuk
What the hell. I can't fathom this decision at all. We've just set ourselves back another two years at least, again. This club really is run by fools.

THIS, Surely whoever gets it will have to have the now 'standard' 3 transfer windows to get their squad of their players.

So if we survive this season we should be ready for a potential playoffs push end of the 2020/1 season will a full challenge 21/22 season.

Can't wait...
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:08pm; Reply: 39
Just makes me wonder whether Macca was really ill or if something had gone on with MJ...
Have the players vocalised their frustrations through Macca?? .. summation I know but I'm convinced there's more to come out rather him being sacked...
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Don't get this at all. I like Jolley, thought he was moving us forward.

I wish you were right with that statement, but in what way has he taken us forward?
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 41
Struggling for words on this one,  had real hope for him, but he wasn't delivering good football or results recently, but the timing, one game in three weeks, and that a draw against a difficult side defies logic
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:10pm; Reply: 42
I’m told this has a lot to do with his recent press room behaviour after the Orient game.  

Also hearing that the players are really not keen on him.

The good things he did were keeping us up and blooding youth. Sadly recently he had become far too negative in how he was setting the team up and twatting the ball at Hanson was painful to watch.

I think he’ll struggle to get another league job.
Posted by: Irv93, November 15, 2019, 12:10pm; Reply: 43
Is Slade still on speed dial?  ;D
Posted by: psgmariner, November 15, 2019, 12:11pm; Reply: 44
Not just about results.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 12:12pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I’m told this has a lot to do with his recent press room behaviour after the Orient game.  

Also hearing that the players are really not keen on him.

The good things he did were keeping us up and blooding youth. Sadly recently he had become far too negative in how he was setting the team up and twatting the ball at Hanson was painful to watch.

I think he’ll struggle to get another league job.

do tell us more re the orient episode as it was alluded to a couple of weeks ago
Posted by: oochiad, November 15, 2019, 12:12pm; Reply: 46
Farage and now this......ffs
Posted by: denni266, November 15, 2019, 12:14pm; Reply: 47
Think it was the right decision , things had not improved in my eyes andwas going backwards. Personaly i never thought he was the asnwer in the long run and often said so,, But it is a suprise to me that this had happened out of the blue. Could it be there has been problems behind the seens , as something has gone badley wrong somewhere
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:14pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from forza ivano

do tell us more re the orient episode as it was alluded to a couple of weeks ago

http://upthemariners.co.uk/2019/11/15/town-boss-set-to-leave/ It’s in the open now
Posted by: mariner91, November 15, 2019, 12:16pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from psgmariner
Not just about results.

I believe that but what else is it about?
Posted by: mimma, November 15, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 50
Read the last just Bach thread folks. The football has become god awful to watch and fans are voting with their feet. Jolley seems stuck on defending even at home and trying to catch teams on the break. Spade got sacked for exactly the same reason. Jolley was too dogmatic.  He couldn't see that it was awful to watch. He has every coaching badge going but on one very boring style of play.

The next manager should get the job promising to at least try to attack.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 15, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 51
Great stuff. Not sure who to vote for between ABIV or Russ Wilcox now.

:-/
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 15, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 52

I'm surprised and yet not surprised if that makes sense.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 15, 2019, 12:19pm; Reply: 53
The coaching is basically to complicated they think their coaching Barcelona asking players to do things their capabilities won’t allow .. from within the club that
Posted by: mike502, November 15, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 54
I know it's not exactly an original thought, but I still find it remarkable how short the tenure of football managers is these days. As of this morning, Jolley was the 25th-longest serving manager of the 92 - i.e. 67 other clubs have changed manager at least once in the last 20 months.

[edit: 91 clubs at present, of course...]
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 15, 2019, 12:26pm; Reply: 55
Not had a (league) game in weeks yet our superior leader pulls the plug.

It seems a strange decision
Posted by: Tommy, November 15, 2019, 12:26pm; Reply: 56
Surprised at the negative reaction so far on this thread.

I wasn't calling for his head but am absolutely not bothered that he's gone.

Did a good job to keep us up when he first came in, finding the 4-1-4-1 formula that did a job and stuck with it to get us over the line and finished the season well.

Last season spent all summer building to play 3-5-2 without having suitable wing-backs to make it work, then abandoned it before August was out. Winning and losing sequences throughout the year and a comfortable mid-table finish which, as boring as it might be, was an improvement on the relegation scrap the year before.

This season has been the disappointment for me. Expecting us to kick, we signed some good players in the summer. Even if the squad's still a little unbalanced, we have some players of really good pedigree and some good young players.

The tactics and team selections have absolutely baffled me at times. Going man-for-man at Chelsea was absolutely mental. Yeah we'd have probably lost anyway but going to a team of £40million players marking them all man-to-man all over the pitch, made it far easier for them than it could've been. Therein lies an issue. That could be a good approach tactically, but you've got to know when to use certain tactical systems, not just use something because it's worked before in a different scenario.

I might be wrong but I get the impression that we work on a different game-plan every week, depending on who we're playing against. Even if it's not just to counter the opposition strengths, its how to exploit their weaknesses. I don't disagree that you should look at how to exploit oppositions weaknesses, but in my eyes that would be little tweaks or focuses in a certain area adding to what we already do, not changing the plan every week to suit.

The use of players out of position is an ongoing problem. And I personally think Mattie Pollock should be playing regularly. I know MJ has given Max Wright and Pollock their debuts, and got Clifton in the team regularly, but I'd have had Wright and Pollock in the team more than they have been this season. So whilst people say he's given youth a chance, they've only had the odd chance and then been back out again.

Had he stayed, I think we'd have plodded along as a lower midtable/safe bottom half type of team. But i think we could and should be doing better than that.

When he came in, I have to admit i thought he'd be a modern-minded coach and try get us playing football on the ground in an expansive style of possession football. Instead, he's seemed more "old-school" than anything else, maybe influenced heavily by Sean Dyche at Burnley.

I'll be interested to see if Limbrick, who is well-liked around the Club, will look to change much. His Woking side apparently played really good football before he lost his best players and they began to struggle.

Hardly a disaster. Chance to move us forward.
Posted by: rancido, November 15, 2019, 12:27pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from AndyGTFC
Club is an absolute joke honestly. Don’t even know why we bother.

I’ve not exactly been convinced but bloody hell the same board kept Woods and Slade forever, and the side have had one meaningful game in 3 weeks.

Maybe the Board has learnt from previous mistakes in persisting with a manager who clearly isn't improving the team. Surely  that's better than the Mr Micawber attitude.
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 15, 2019, 12:34pm; Reply: 58
I am fairly confident that it is more than just recent results.  We all know someone who's aunty's postman had a mate who works at BP etc. But I heard from two different usually reliable sources this week that something was amiss.

My usual gripe is people saying ' Grimsby fans/Fishy posters' etc when they should be saying 'football fans/football messageboards' etc. with regard to comments. Football fans are the same the whole world over.

On a personal note, I am not too sad to see him go, but wasn't quite yet calling for his head.

As I said on a different thread a while ago, I doubt things will change that much with the present board in control.

I suspect a new manage will arrive full of enthusiasm until it gets ground out of him in two-three months time.

Without a new board and a new ground I expect us to remain an average div 4 (or league 2) side.

UTM
Posted by: Ipswin, November 15, 2019, 12:36pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Not sure that limbrick shouldn't have gone too...
Not really that surprised, it's not only the results but the performances that have been p!as poor for far too long ..

So, ladies and gents,who we betting in for the next manager??

Limbrick has stayed because he's the next cheap, no one has heard of him, good on the theory and got his certificates but couldn't manage a urine without assistance replacement (just like Jolley really)

Posted by: mimma, November 15, 2019, 12:37pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from mimma
Read the last just Back thread folks. The football has become god awful to watch and fans are voting with their feet. Jolley seems stuck on defending even at home and trying to catch teams on the break. Slade got sacked for exactly the same reason. Jolley was too dogmatic.  He couldn't see that it was awful to watch. He has every coaching badge going but on one very boring style of play.

The next manager should get the job promising to at least try to attack.

Posted by: mariner91, November 15, 2019, 12:38pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Tommy

Did a good job to keep us up when he first came in, finding the 4-1-4-1 formula that did a job and stuck with it to get us over the line and finished the season well.

Last season spent all summer building to play 3-5-2 without having suitable wing-backs to make it work, then abandoned it before August was out. Winning and losing sequences throughout the year and a comfortable mid-table finish which, as boring as it might be, was an improvement on the relegation scrap the year before.

This season has been the disappointment for me. Expecting us to kick, we signed some good players in the summer. Even if the squad's still a little unbalanced, we have some players of really good pedigree and some good young players.

The tactics and team selections have absolutely baffled me at times. Going man-for-man at Chelsea was absolutely mental. Yeah we'd have probably lost anyway but going to a team of £40million players marking them all man-to-man all over the pitch, made it far easier for them than it could've been. Therein lies an issue. That could be a good approach tactically, but you've got to know when to use certain tactical systems, not just use something because it's worked before in a different scenario.

I might be wrong but I get the impression that we work on a different game-plan every week, depending on who we're playing against. Even if it's not just to counter the opposition strengths, its how to exploit their weaknesses. I don't disagree that you should look at how to exploit oppositions weaknesses, but in my eyes that would be little tweaks or focuses in a certain area adding to what we already do, not changing the plan every week to suit.

The use of players out of position is an ongoing problem. And I personally think Mattie Pollock should be playing regularly. I know MJ has given Max Wright and Pollock their debuts, and got Clifton in the team regularly, but I'd have had Wright and Pollock in the team more than they have been this season. So whilst people say he's given youth a chance, they've only had the odd chance and then been back out again.

Had he stayed, I think we'd have plodded along as a lower midtable/safe bottom half type of team. But i think we could and should be doing better than that.

When he came in, I have to admit i thought he'd be a modern-minded coach and try get us playing football on the ground in an expansive style of possession football. Instead, he's seemed more "old-school" than anything else, maybe influenced heavily by Sean Dyche at Burnley.

I'll be interested to see if Limbrick, who is well-liked around the Club, will look to change much. His Woking side apparently played really good football before he lost his best players and they began to struggle.

Good post, don’t disagree with the sacking in a footballing sense. Just surprised at the timing and manner of it.
Posted by: AlfredTheGreat, November 15, 2019, 12:39pm; Reply: 62
Insanity of the highest order
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:42pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from AlfredTheGreat
Insanity of the highest order

That's football for you.

Posted by: Ipswin, November 15, 2019, 12:42pm; Reply: 64
Bet Ipswin is laughing his boll0x off and feeling all smug now😂😂

Absofuckinglutely correct although I doubt somehow that he's been sacked (I think Fenty had too much tied up in him with everyone on here saying what a great forward thinking appointment it was and how well Fenty had done to go for Jolley - pushed in no small degree by all the support for the idea on the Fishy - intercourse knows why) I suggest he's just walked.

Posted by: Posh Harry, November 15, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from rancido

Maybe the Board has learnt from previous mistakes in persisting with a manager who clearly isn't improving the team. Surely  that's better than the Mr Micawber attitude.

Best one I’ve seen for a while Rancido.

Our board learning 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Brilliant stuff
Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 15, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It’s no flipping good willing the ends Hagrid without willing the means. You’ve been whinging for weeks about Jolley and now admit you haven’t got a clue what to do next when he’s gone!

One of many I am afraid!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 15, 2019, 12:45pm; Reply: 67
Wasn’t expecting this, not at this time anyway.
Posted by: Yoda, November 15, 2019, 12:45pm; Reply: 68
Great news he had to go performances where worse than Slade.
He couldn’t change a game and always played the percentage game.
Losing the plot with fans and the press.
Attendances where plummeting and that was the last straw for the board.
He gave it a go but in the end was floundering.
Posted by: mimma, November 15, 2019, 12:45pm; Reply: 69
Paid the price for boring football and trying to be too clever.

I think that Limbrick could do well. His teams in the past punched above their weight and still managed to play good football.

I wish him well and hope that he gets us playing again.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 15, 2019, 12:46pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Tommy

Come on Tommy, you should know better than to talk common sense on here!  ;D

You are spot on, it is no great loss and if it needed doing at least we are not waiting until the last 6 games for a Messiah again. I wonder if his rolling 6 months was up for renewal?

I don’t know about Limbrick. What you say is true for some but he was not universally respected at Woking and the loss of players was not felt to be the only reason for their slide. However ......

Posted by: m4riners, November 15, 2019, 12:47pm; Reply: 71
The club should be ashamed of itself this afternoon.

1) A serious lack of judgment for the club and stadium to be involved in the Brexit Party event last night. The club is for the entire community and should not be seen hosting political events. And before anyone says it, I would say the same if it was labour, tories, greens or whatever.

2) Sacking Jolley - well it can't be results - after so many weeks without a game, and ok a poor run recently, but signs of improvement on where we have been overall. Can only assume it is the usual "behind the scenes" and another example of board and Fenty not being progressive and falling out with a young manager who has tried to do the best for the club and improve things.

This is the final straw. If Fenty won't sell, then at least acknowledge that we should have a professional management team running the operations side of this business instead of the old boys' club.

Posted by: Civvy at last, November 15, 2019, 12:49pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Ipswin

Absofuckinglutely correct although I doubt somehow that he's been sacked (I think Fenty had too much tied up in him with everyone on here saying what a great forward thinking appointment it was and how well Fenty had done to go for Jolley - pushed in no small degree by all the support for the idea on the Fishy - intercourse knows why) I suggest he's just walked.

Could well be the case Swin.  People always assume 'mutual consent' means 'the boot'.  But perhaps in this case 'mutual consent' means exactly that.  
Posted by: rancido, November 15, 2019, 12:49pm; Reply: 73
Probably the best time to get rid of a manager. Hopefully whoever comes in ,it will be before Christmas and that will give him time to assess the squad and a transfer window in January to make any additions. With still two thirds of the season left there is plenty of time for a new manager to turn things around.
As far as MJ was concerned, I felt he could have been the right man to take us forward. Sadly he did seem to approach every game like it was some Football Manager type computer game but the players we have (and most at this level ) are not adaptable enough ,which is why they are at this level. Seeing as AL is the interim manager then maybe we will see if he has a different approach. At least it gives him a chance to make a claim before any final decisions are taken.
Posted by: Bradford Mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:50pm; Reply: 74
This is crazy, don't agree with this at all. Jolley should have been given support to turn things round, changing managers all the time very rarely works.

And which enlightened appointment will we end up with this time? After all, Fenty and Co don't have a great track record when it comes to picking managers.

I fear the worst for the remainder of the season.

UTM

Posted by: promotion plaice, November 15, 2019, 12:51pm; Reply: 75

Maybe Shutes is bringing in his own manager   ;)
Posted by: psgmariner, November 15, 2019, 12:52pm; Reply: 76
Think a few around the club will be pleased he’s gone. Not universally popular by any means.

Forever thankful for keeping us up after the slade crisis but it’s been rubbish for a while. Doubt he will get another job in the league.
Posted by: sydney, November 15, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 77
Tisdale
Sad but overall probably the right decision if we make a quick good appointment (if we have not already had conversations)??
Think it hinges on boards belief as to whether we could win the replay or not as that tie is now worth a lot of money to us
If u have been going these last 3 months u can see he hasn’t been getting the best out of the players
We have looked poor
Come on Town!!
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 15, 2019, 12:55pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Tommy

Superb summary Tommy.  Nails it.

We weren't moving forward under Jolley.  I liked the bloke but he didn't have a clue and it became more evident in recent weeks.  The sad thing is that he got it off the field, but he was employed as the manager - not the PR guy.

The interesting bit is about his player budget rant.  I've heard a few people say that the budget is still pitiful and whilst the likes of Green and Hanson haven't come cheap, it's been offset in other areas - hence so many of the youth team getting contracts over the summer.

The gate on Saturday would have been the final nail in the coffin.  Fenty comes on here (Hi, John!) and I'm sure he or his staff are looking on Twitter etc. after games.  The response was quite clear cut, it was dire and people have had enough.

Keen to see how Limbrick gets on.  Despite the imbalance, there's still a half decent squad available to whoever takes over.  Definitely enough to rekindle the early season form.  Few January additions and who knows.
Posted by: mariner paul, November 15, 2019, 12:57pm; Reply: 79
Well I must say I am a bit shocked by that decision
Posted by: toontown, November 15, 2019, 12:58pm; Reply: 80
He was definitely feeling the pressure. Possible he did walk. The awful attendance against Newport could have been a factor too. I was expecting at least 50% more there so could have been a shock to the board that we only just scraped 2000.
I was a fan of jolleysbut I had lost all faith tbh. He definitely 'reset' each week with regard to treating each game as a match for which tactics should be individually molded as opposed to having any playing pattern that might be just tweaked for an opponent. It was failing. I wasn't at the stage for wanting him gone but I do think it had got to the stage he was fighting for the right to be in charge at the January window.
I am surprised he's gone but not too bothered. Thanks for the good work in keeping us up in that first season tho MJ, deserves credit for that.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 15, 2019, 12:58pm; Reply: 81
Insane decision. If we sacked every manager after a seven game losing run we'd barely get through a season without a change.

Nobody any good could possibly contemplate joining us without a big long contract which we could never afford so we will end up with someone untried again.

Cue 18 months of "rebuilding" and back to sqaure one.

It's COMPLETELY BONKERS.
Posted by: smokey111, November 15, 2019, 1:00pm; Reply: 82
Please sift through the applicants carefully whilst Mooro is in charge. A more than capable caretaker.
Posted by: ska face, November 15, 2019, 1:01pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from GrimRob
Insane decision. If we sacked every manager after a seven game losing run we'd barely get through a season without a change.

Yeah, GOOD! It’s not normal ffs
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, November 15, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 84
I think that with the antics off the pitch, loosing the dressing room and poor form of late it was the right time to Change,
Gives a new manager time to get to know the players before the Jan window opens,
The new manager will also now have two extra games due to the postponements to get a few more points and to be honest after the last 6 games I cant say we had shown any improvement or any attacking plan.

Posted by: Reverendmariner, November 15, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 85
https://upthemariners.co.uk/2019/11/15/town-boss-set-to-leave/?fbclid=IwAR2AJ1E65rRRBBEpTt-3b9g5aJVHxQro8aPJfIHfdpY-pnmMynNkzWHduWQ

A possibility?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 15, 2019, 1:09pm; Reply: 86

Mr jolley kept us up and stabilised the club to some extent and that is somewhat a success BUT his football was drab he started to distance himself from the fans and it was the right time to move on.

Thanks Michael in the future and i think the board has actually done a good move here and without it turning into another 10 game losing streak he can move on with some credibility.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 15, 2019, 1:09pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby
I think that with the antics off the pitch, loosing the dressing room and poor form of late it was the right time to Change,
Gives a new manager time to get to know the players before the Jan window opens,
The new manager will also now have two extra games due to the postponements to get a few more points and to be honest after the last 6 games I cant say we had shown any improvement or any attacking plan.

A lot of the previous managers have been given similar windows to turn things around in. None of them acheived much better than their predecessors.

This season is a right-off now and probably next as half the squad will leave in the summer and we'll be bedding in until Christmas.

With all this chopping and changing it's only a matter of time before we have a bad season and end up in the bottom two and then it will be Goodnight Football League forever.

Stability is the only answer.
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 15, 2019, 1:11pm; Reply: 88
"No further comment will be made at this time."
Hahahahahaha classic Town.

Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Fuming...

Be careful what you wish for.
Had a young manager, learning his trade, slowly but surely improving us, and fans called for his head...

Quoted from Mikoo
Been begging for a manager to blood youth in for years, finally get one with proven history in youth football who’s slowly improving us, and we do that. I’ve seen Fenty do some stupid things, but this might just be one of the worst

Yep. Assuming he's been sacked then this is what's frustrating about this. He was brought in to oversee a long term project and he's not been allowed to do that. He's worked really well with Woods and the kids and it's sad that that might be going to pot again. At least the posters on here who were frothing at the mouth because we aren't 10 points clear in 1st will be pleased. Looking forward to them telling us Nigel Adkins and Nathan Jones are available. Adkins might be able to bring that Bowen lad with him maybe hey, fellas?

Quoted from Hagrid

Apart from the fact that when he came in we hadn't won in about three months and were about to go down to the Conference again...

Quoted from Civvy at last
I am fairly confident that it is more than just recent results.  We all know someone who's aunty's postman had a mate who works at BP etc. But I heard from two different usually reliable sources this week that something was amiss.

What specifically have you heard?

Quoted from Tommy

You can't rush the youths really though. Look at Crewe. They've been bringing this current crop through for seasons now, with some of them being in and around the first team squad for 2 or 3 seasons before nailing down places. We'd all love to see Pollock and Wright every match, but Jolley is a qualified manager who cut his teeth working with youngsters so you have to trust he knows what he's doing.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 15, 2019, 1:13pm; Reply: 89
Whether we like the decision or not football is a results driven business and MJ wasn't delivering. Familiar patterns have emerged from last season ie the losing and winning streaks. The decision to dismiss, even without the traditional vote of confidence beforehand does come as a huge shock though, and to be honest it smacks of rank mismanagement, something we've long been accustomed to at BP.

I only get to see the club every so often nowadays, but reading about youth being given it's head over the last 12 months has the capacity to excite, even 250 miles away. Thanks for everything Mike, especially for keeping us up. You probably deserved a lot better than you got, but that's Town through and through. If ever a 24 hour period for the club showed it's utter incompetence in how to handle anything this has been it.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 15, 2019, 1:13pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from GrimRob

This season is a right-off now .

It already was Rob, we were going absolutely nowhere

Posted by: Maringer, November 15, 2019, 1:14pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from rancido
Probably the best time to get rid of a manager. Hopefully whoever comes in ,it will be before Christmas and that will give him time to assess the squad and a transfer window in January to make any additions. With still two thirds of the season left there is plenty of time for a new manager to turn things around.

Yep, that's what I was thinking as well. Unless Jolley decided he wanted to leave and that's the main reason he's gone, you'd hope that our non-Chairman has given thought to who might be employed in his place.
Posted by: Reverendmariner, November 15, 2019, 1:15pm; Reply: 92
I really thought we had a long-term agenda going forward, now we're back to Square One. Really disappointed.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 15, 2019, 1:16pm; Reply: 93
You watch him turn up at Orient...after listening to their chairman on sports talk earlier he fits the bill perfectly for what they're looking for..
Posted by: ginnywings, November 15, 2019, 1:16pm; Reply: 94
Cue the next hopeful trying to turn a Morris Minor into a Porsche with no money or facilities to do so.

He was a very likeable guy, but if he was going to get us moving, i feel he would have done so by now. Think he over complicated a simple game, with too much information loaded onto players without the ability to carry it through.

As others have said, there seems more to this than meets the eye, and as with most managers who come in all bright eyed and bushy tailed, the reality of trying to turn this club around while keeping the books balanced is a job very few can pull off. The club and it's expectant fans will wear down even the most patient of men, and budget constraints will always be a deciding factor. Looks like he decided to have a leaner squad so he could sign a few higher paid players like Hanson, but plugging the gaps with inexperienced youth players is a gamble, no matter how much potential they have.

I've not seen us play this season, but from what i hear from those that have, the football is even more dire than it was under Slade. I just hope we can attract someone who can re-ignite the fans again, but i suspect that Limbrick will be given an extended audition first. Maybe he will step up to the plate as Hurst did after Shouty was removed for similar reasons, if rumours of Jolley's outbursts and dislike among the players is correct.

Another season, another manager. How many is that since we returned to the league?
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 1:17pm; Reply: 95
You watch him turn up at Orient...after listening to their chairman on sports talk earlier he fits the bill perfectly for what they're looking for..

taht would be amusing, given we play them in a few weeks time
Posted by: Abdul19, November 15, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 96

You are spot on, it is no great loss and if it needed doing at least we are not waiting until the last 6 games for a Messiah again. I wonder if his rolling 6 months was up for renewal?

I have it on good authority he had about 180 days left
Posted by: chicaneuk, November 15, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from oochiad
Farage and now this......ffs

Ultimately I respect the fact that people are free to vote how they vote.. that's democracy. But I loathe Farage so reading about that this morning, and THEN finding out Jolley has left.. honestly my enthusiasm for this club has just taken a massive nosedive today.

On the flip side I did feel the sudden and noticable downturn in form in the last 4-6 weeks seemed like there was something amiss in the dressing room so maybe this decision backs that up.
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 15, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 98

So that's what that 4-0 spanking was all about...
Posted by: Ipswin, November 15, 2019, 1:20pm; Reply: 99
You watch him turn up at Orient..

As a spectator maybe

Posted by: GrimRob, November 15, 2019, 1:21pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from Ipswin

It already was Rob, we were going absolutely nowhere

If yiou want a higher league position then spend more money on players, don't waste it on sacking managers,
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 15, 2019, 1:26pm; Reply: 101
Strange timing wise, but also like others have said if you're gonna do it it's good timing to let the manager judge the squad before January. I think we've got a good quality squad and they seem to have a hard working mentality, though I liked jolley and wanted him to succeed with us, I wouldn't be suprised to see someone come in and get better results with this team, I just hope that the young players continue to be a big part of the team
Posted by: oochiad, November 15, 2019, 1:34pm; Reply: 102
Yep same here. I can get my head around Jolley but Farage, I’m disgusted and it certainly has made me question my feelings towards the club. Politics should always be left alone when it comes to football and to let this happen is beyond belief.
Posted by: Fishbone, November 15, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 103
Like all, I want a new messiah to bring some joy back to fans and club.
However, my fear is that the new manager will bring a boost, but not enough to reach play offs. Will then have pre-season and Jan to establish own team with little budget, will get frustrated, fans will turn, and then the trigger will be pulled again before the end of next season.
Keeps us in the league and solvent but this groundhog strategy is not one most fans enjoy!
I'm praying for a takeover....still...
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 15, 2019, 1:46pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from forza ivano

He was really laying into the Radio Humberside guys effing and blinding, blaming them for negativity.

I also know that he wasn't that well liked by some of the admin staff and had also heard comments about some of the players not being too keen on him.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 15, 2019, 2:04pm; Reply: 105
Jolleys put a statement out. Leaving out thanks to the directors.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, November 15, 2019, 2:05pm; Reply: 106
The board sacking someone for treating Radio Humberside with contempt?  Hmm.
Posted by: mariner91, November 15, 2019, 2:07pm; Reply: 107
What does his statement say? He’s blocked me on twitter despite the fact I’ve never tweeted at him, guess he really can’t take criticism!
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 15, 2019, 2:08pm; Reply: 108
Tweet 1195336741638553600 will appear here...
Posted by: Ipswin, November 15, 2019, 2:14pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Hagrid
Jolleys put a statement out. Leaving out thanks to the directors.

I would have thought giving him a chance as a total unknown no mark to manage in the EFL with no previous experience other than a very short reign at a club in Sweden no one had heard of, might just have deserved a thank you

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 15, 2019, 2:19pm; Reply: 110
Only surprise is the timing but as I am not privy to what goes on behind the scenes not sure if he walked, was pushed or both parties were actually in agreement that change was required.

Given recent threads on the Fishy amazed how many fans are upset by this decision and Tommy’s post is a perfect summary of why change was required. How many of us had a clue what our tactics were, what style of play we were trying to achieve why the approach promised, passing/pressing game never materialised. Why was Hewitt played in midfield, why were Cook and Whitehouse played as our two widest players on Saturday meaning we had no width, why was Hanson played down the middle with no one within 15 yards of him, why is our midfield outplayed in every game?

Like many I welcomed Jolley’s appointment and, whilst it appeared we may be going down a longer ball route, thought at the start of this season that he had worked out a way of achieving some success in L2. That lasted around six weeks and our home performances have got progressively worse match by match and like Hurst he appeared to put too much emphasis on the opposition rather than get us into a team that our opponents should worry about.

Add in a few iffy signings, contract extension for Cardwell and without the rumours there are several reasons supporting this decision.

I would have been willing to accept the fact that he was learning his trade if there was some evidence that he was actually learning but he seemed to be going in the opposite direction. Only sadness is the apparent willingness to play youth but in reality that has only really applied to Clifton last season and Pollock this and for whatever reason Clifton’s form has disappeared. Wright & Rose have to date had cameo roles and there was no evidence that either was on the verge of becoming a regular first choice selection.

Maybe the rolls Royce was one of his former City colleagues coming to pick him up!!

In closing all the best to MJ for the future, I hope that this will have helped your football education and you get another role in the game.
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 15, 2019, 2:19pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Ipswin

I would have thought giving him a chance as a total unknown no mark to manage in the EFL with no previous experience other than a very short reign at a club in Sweden no one had heard of, might just have deserved a thank you

FENTY IN. In board we trust.
Posted by: golfer, November 15, 2019, 2:26pm; Reply: 112
Could Farage have actually been for an interview and that's the reason he hasn't put himself up for the election  8)
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, November 15, 2019, 2:27pm; Reply: 113
This club’s record is about as broken as Ipswin’s.
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 2:29pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Only surprise is the timing but as I am not privy to what goes on behind the scenes not sure if he walked, was pushed or both parties were actually in agreement that change was required.

Given recent threads on the Fishy amazed how many fans are upset by this decision and Tommy’s post is a perfect summary of why change was required. How many of us had a clue what our tactics were, what style of play we were trying to achieve why the approach promised, passing/pressing game never materialised. Why was Hewitt played in midfield, why were Cook and Whitehouse played as our two widest players on Saturday meaning we had no width, why was Hanson played down the middle with no one within 15 yards of him, why is our midfield outplayed in every game?

Like many I welcomed Jolley’s appointment and, whilst it appeared we may be going down a longer ball route, thought at the start of this season that he had worked out a way of achieving some success in L2. That lasted around six weeks and our home performances have got progressively worse match by match and like Hurst he appeared to put too much emphasis on the opposition rather than get us into a team that our opponents should worry about.

Add in a few iffy signings, contract extension for Cardwell and without the rumours there are several reasons supporting this decision.

I would have been willing to accept the fact that he was learning his trade if there was some evidence that he was actually learning but he seemed to be going in the opposite direction. Only sadness is the apparent willingness to play youth but in reality that has only really applied to Clifton last season and Pollock this and for whatever reason Clifton’s form has disappeared. Wright & Rose have to date had cameo roles and there was no evidence that either was on the verge of becoming a regular first choice selection.

Maybe the rolls Royce was one of his former City colleagues coming to pick him up!!

In closing all the best to MJ for the future, I hope that this will have helped your football education and you get another role in the game.

I believe that MJ told Clifton he was not part of his plans as he couldn't rely on him being around due to international call-ups with Wales.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 15, 2019, 2:35pm; Reply: 115
Good time to sack a manager. New man will get time to assess the squad and a full window to make changes.

Surprised by the outpouring of support for him on here. He’s never really got us going, is very dull and has spent most of his time blowing smoke up our arses in his interviews. It’s never seemed genuine to me.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 15, 2019, 2:41pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from Heisenberg

I believe that MJ told Clifton he was not part of his plans as he couldn't rely on him being around due to international call-ups with Wales.

Not exactly rewarding the lad for international recognition is it, given that approach Hanson is not going to want calling up by Gareth if he misses the Northampton game next Saturday 😄😄

To be fair Harry was not, IMO, playing that well before his call up so not sure if their is any truth in that particular rumour unless HC has confirmed this?

Posted by: 1542 (Guest), November 15, 2019, 3:00pm; Reply: 117
Just makes me wonder whether Macca was really ill or if something had gone on with MJ...
Have the players vocalised their frustrations through Macca?? .. summation I know but I'm convinced there's more to come out rather him being sacked...

I thought exactly this when Macca didn’t play!! He never misses a game!! Something has gone off, that’s for sure!!

I was starting to think he’d lost the dressing room too!!
Posted by: Tommy, November 15, 2019, 3:03pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from GrimRob

If you want a higher league position then spend more money on players, don't waste it on sacking managers,

Or on a Manager who can get more out of the squad of players than others, and can achieve above expectations.
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 3:09pm; Reply: 119

Not exactly rewarding the lad for international recognition is it, given that approach Hanson is not going to want calling up by Gareth if he misses the Northampton game next Saturday 😄😄

To be fair Harry was not, IMO, playing that well before his call up so not sure if their is any truth in that particular rumour unless HC has confirmed this?

HC did NOT confirm this to me, I've never spoken to him, but the source seemed very reliable indeed.  I can't say it's 100% though, I'll admit that.  I can imagine it being true, though.  I certainly believe it.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 15, 2019, 3:11pm; Reply: 120
I think he was dropped because he’s been excrement.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 15, 2019, 3:22pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from Heisenberg

Wow. If true this is terrible. At this level, any player receiving international recognition is an outstanding achievement and should be rewarded.

Interestingly, we relied upon Embleton last season despite his unavailability due to international call-ups.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 15, 2019, 3:32pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from MarinerDevil
The board sacking someone for treating Radio Humberside with contempt?  Hmm.

Trust me it wasn't just that.
Posted by: chrissy, November 15, 2019, 3:42pm; Reply: 123
Farage is buying the club and wants his own man in charge .  ( joke )  ;D
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 15, 2019, 3:43pm; Reply: 124
Yes he did keep us in the League and we should always be grateful for that.

However, he has all his own players this season.Despite this he has "nor kicked-on" as was reasonably expected by the fans, at least.

Ignoring the games in hand, the football has been dire this season.  Team selections and where individuala played often baffling,tactics all over the place.  Playing with fear at home, and losing badly, was probably the last straw for the Board.

There was no plan B in front of goal. This exposed his tactical abilities.

Ironically, playing defensively at home to try and get points cost him when this failed.  Taking a more expansive and attacking game at home might well have resulted in better results.  Certainly better performances. And higher gates.

The timing does seem odd.  This is GTFC though.   Maybe a deciding factor has been issues behind the scenes?  Even senior players voicing dissent?

Posted by: arryarryarry, November 15, 2019, 3:47pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Yes he did keep us in the League and we should always be grateful for that.

However, he has all his own players this season.Despite this he has "nor kicked-on" as was reasonably expected by the fans, at least.

Ignoring the games in hand, the football has been dire this season.  Team selections and where individuala played often baffling,tactics all over the place.  Playing with fear at home, and losing badly, was probably the last straw for the Board.

There was no plan B in front of goal. This exposed his tactical abilities.

Ironically, playing defensively at home to try and get points cost him when this failed.  Taking a more expansive and attacking game at home might well have resulted in better results.  Certainly better performances. And higher gates.

The timing does seem odd.  This is GTFC though.   Maybe a deciding factor has been issues behind the scenes?  Even senior players voicing dissent?

The comment regarding senior players isn't far from the truth.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 15, 2019, 3:51pm; Reply: 126
If I am to be totally honest I never rated his appointment which did not win me many friends. ;D. But Jolley had achieved very little of note anywhere for any length of time. If you look at his employment record in football and prior to football he has never stayed long in one place. You might even say he has moved on before calamity struck. I was always suspicious of people I interviewed who had a CV like that.

Well, if you go through a pre-season with your new signings showing good form and looking settled but for no apparent reason you start changing things around and the results become inconsistent ...... something is definitely wrong. I don't know why he did that or what has happened behind closed doors but something has and the two things must be connected.

To summarise the bloke, he talks well, perhaps too well and he is clearly bright. In fact there were times when he seemed to treat team selection and tactics as some kind of intellectual exercise. I cannot bring myself to comment nicely on his appreciation fred because apart from getting a few points to keep us up he has actually achieved bu99er all since then. And if I remember rightly he was just about the only candidate left after noses turned up at Sol Campbell and Askey turned us down.

He is not a manager but he likes the suit. I would not be at all surprised to see him leave football management for some vague FA role or even some minor coaching role at Burnley or somewhere. His track record suggests he might go away from the game altogether. Whatever he does, I wish him well ....... but he was not for this club.
Posted by: rancido, November 15, 2019, 3:51pm; Reply: 127
In his statement MJ makes reference to the budget but this is a cop out. He knew the budget in the summer and knew what he had to work with. Why sign Green, a fading star from a club not deemed good enough for league 2 by Salford. Why sign Hanson, a proven target man, and then not play to his strengths. Why have Cardwell and Vernham on the books and not utilise them. Why keep changing the players to fit the format instead of picking players who suit the format.
Posted by: Jaws, November 15, 2019, 3:51pm; Reply: 128
I've heard through lots of people that the players were unhappy about Jolley but I suspect a lot of this is leaked out through the same player who seems to blab about everything that goes in behind closed doors.

Not entirely sure who can replace him and be a big enough drawer to keep the attendances up.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 15, 2019, 4:05pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from Son of Cod

Apart from the fact that when he came in we hadn't won in about three months and were about to go down to the Conference again...

And in fairness he got a free pass last season as a result of it.

There was a huge element of luck in staying up that season but to Jolley's absolute credit he got the best out of that team and made them work as a unit.  We stayed up with a front 3 of Hooper, Cardwell and Clifton.  I wouldn't even want to go into a reserve team friendly against a pub side with a front 3 like that, but Jolley somehow got it working.  He identified very quickly that Mitch Rose's long throw was an asset.  He managed to get Nathan Clarke looking relatively solid.

But this season was meant to be about moving forward.  We haven't.  The first few weeks teased as to how it could be and what we could do but he hasn't followed it up.  We've regressed and regardless of what's gone on off the field, we're just not good enough overall.  We're not fulfilling our potential at all and the entertainment value is non-existent, hence the understandable drop in gates.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 4:05pm; Reply: 130
one thing that does seem strange is that in the pre season and at the beginning of the season many were commenting about how happy and together the squad were and how it seemed there was a really good team spirit, which was a huge improvement on the last couple of years. would love what, when and why it changed
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 15, 2019, 4:20pm; Reply: 131
Just caught up with this thread and the news and I must say I was surprised.

I have said he should play a settled team with players in their best positions ,

The timing seems very strange we have not lost a game for weeks maybe because we have only played twice but we did not lose them so there is more to this than the club are saying.

Whoever gets the job will find a decent squad that can move back up the table if he uses them in a more attacking way than they have been told lately.

As for Jolley he has been his own worse enemy by the way he has used the players this season.

I do believe he will get a job in football again as a coach not as a manager though.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 15, 2019, 4:22pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from Heisenberg

If thats true thats totaly ridiculous.
Posted by: smokey111, November 15, 2019, 4:35pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

If thats true thats totaly ridiculous.

I don't believe a word of that. I mean the original point about not being part of his plans because of call ups.
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 15, 2019, 4:37pm; Reply: 134
It’s very easy to say this is a surprise or a poor decision but he’s been here 18 months now and aside from a couple of, admittedly very good, away performances we’ve been pretty poor all season. Once sides worked us out, ie put two men on Hanson we had absolutely no alternative. People claimed Hurst was one dimensional but he was positively multi-layered when compared with us this season. Jolley sold himself as a modern, forward thinking, attack minded coach, we have been anything but this season. We have played hoof ball to Hanson constantly. We played brilliantly at Exeter without him but he’s never gone back to this. I really thought we’d be further forward than we are now. The timing is surprising, suggests we’ve got someone else lined up.
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 15, 2019, 4:38pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from arryarryarry

Trust me it wasn't just that.

Quoted from arryarryarry

The comment regarding senior players isn't far from the truth.

Spill the beans then, come on...
Posted by: mariner paul, November 15, 2019, 4:40pm; Reply: 136
Don't think many will agree with me on this one but I think Harry Clifton has been poor all season when he has played. As playing for Wales he is only in the under 21 squad he will never get a full international call up because he is not good enough and most probably never will be
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 4:41pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from rancido
In his statement MJ makes reference to the budget but this is a cop out. He knew the budget in the summer and knew what he had to work with. Why sign Green, a fading star from a club not deemed good enough for league 2 by Salford. Why sign Hanson, a proven target man, and then not play to his strengths. Why have Cardwell and Vernham on the books and not utilise them. Why keep changing the players to fit the format instead of picking players who suit the format.

where did you get this from Rancido ? - i've read his statement on twitter and there isn't any mention of the budget. could you provide alink please?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 15, 2019, 4:42pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from mariner paul
Don't think many will agree with me on this one but I think Harry Clifton has been poor all season when he has played. As playing for Wales he is only in the under 21 squad he will never get a full international call up because he is not good enough and most probably never will be

Coming back from injury and not had a run in the team. Is there any wonder his form has been iffy?
Posted by: golfer, November 15, 2019, 4:48pm; Reply: 139
The reason Jolly was sacked was nothing to do with the performance on the pitch-it was for personal reasons-he sent JSF a book for xmas- "Football Ownership for Dummies "
Posted by: rancido, November 15, 2019, 4:57pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from forza ivano

where did you get this from Rancido ? - i've read his statement on twitter and there isn't any mention of the budget. could you provide alink please?

It was mentioned on the "Up the Mariners" website after the Orient game. He was quoted as bemoaning the budget but I can't reproduce the link.
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 15, 2019, 5:01pm; Reply: 141
It was mentioned on the Fishy this last week about Jolley applying for the Lincoln job,probably this was true but he had not informed Mr Fenty/the board about his intentions, this would have obviously upset the powers that be. On a bright note, those that would have Hurst back might get their wish because by leaving scunny and coming here he would be moving to a higher league positioned team( currently)
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 15, 2019, 5:08pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Coming back from injury and not had a run in the team. Is there any wonder his form has been iffy?

Agree with this 100% he needs a run of games and will be fine, just suffering from a stop start season due to call ups and injuries.
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 5:11pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeah, come on Arry, we need to know this......
Posted by: Bigdog, November 15, 2019, 5:12pm; Reply: 144
I'm really not bothered about Jolley leaving at all. I just don't think he's cut out for the managerial game. Perfect timing for someone to come in and have December to look at the players before the window. Dire football, poor results, poor tactics, home support down to 3.5k, little excitement, players playing without confidence.. can't see what all the fuss is about tbh. Club have got it spot on in my opinion..

Praying for a decent replacement though!. Think there's one or two decent managers out of work and one or two in work doing great things in non-league.. so here's hoping the board will spend the right amount of money to get the right amount of managerial talent we need to break this boring monotony we've had to endure since our return to the league..
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 15, 2019, 5:13pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from golfer
The reason Jolly was sacked was nothing to do with the performance on the pitch-it was for personal reasons-he sent JSF a book for xmas- "Football Ownership for Dummies "

No wonder John was annoyed, fancy getting a present you’ve  allready got three of 😉
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 15, 2019, 5:18pm; Reply: 146
Not surprised at recent set of results, disappointed he never delivered that attacking and pressing game he said at the start, but hey ho on we go, on the Billy Smarts roundabout.

Posted by: Gaffer58, November 15, 2019, 5:48pm; Reply: 147
On the subject of the budget, if Mr Fenty is hoping to get a sizeable part of his " benign " loan back each season then the manager may feel he is having to operate with basically one arm tied behind his back.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 15, 2019, 6:08pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from Son of Cod

As much as I would like to I am not going to say who my source is as they would be very unhappy and probably not speak to me again.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, November 15, 2019, 6:10pm; Reply: 149
So will Farage be on a 6 months rolling contract?
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 6:10pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from arryarryarry

As much as I would like to I am not going to say who my source is as they would be very unhappy and probably not speak to me again.

I agree, we couldn’t ask that of you. Just a smidgen of unsubstantiated rumour will do.....
Posted by: Croxton, November 15, 2019, 6:18pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from Gaffer58
On the subject of the budget, if Mr Fenty is hoping to get a sizeable part of his " benign " loan back each season then the manager may feel he is having to operate with basically one arm tied behind his back.

I seem to remember that Jolley left his Sweden job due to 'differences' between himself and the club over budget?

Plus, after the Orient and Newport games I felt that something was very wrong. The slow tempo, body language of senior players and reaction to conceding goals was different to earlier games.
JT's interviews had become stilted and Jolley had always been on the defensive anyway. For all his polished presentation, MJ is as insecure as anyone else and leadership at any level requires one to keep emotions in check. I should know, it was my achilles heel too!
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 15, 2019, 6:36pm; Reply: 152
By mutual consent?

Maybe he can't speak Welsh and doesn't like being on TV!  :)
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 15, 2019, 6:36pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from Heisenberg

I agree, we couldn’t ask that of you. Just a smidgen of unsubstantiated rumour will do.....

Well the Radio Humberside definitely isn't a rumour that actually happened.

I was just passing on the fact I have been told by someone within the club some players were unhappy about team tactics and that some admin staff weren't his greatest fans.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 15, 2019, 6:38pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from arryarryarry

Well the Radio Humberside definitely isn't a rumour that actually happened.

I was just passing on the fact I have been told by someone within the club some players were unhappy about team tactics and that some admin staff weren't his greatest fans.

Now whether that deserved the sack, that's not for me to say🙂
Posted by: buckstown, November 15, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 155
Well I know nothing, but Fenty is not trigger happy and the timing is most interesting. Seems to me there's something going on behind the scenes, maybe the players have voiced concern etc.
We've been rubbish in the games I've seen this season and I was astonished when he made changes to the team that beat Exeter. What message did that send to the boys that beat the unbeaten league leaders?
I'd like to believe JF has a cunning plan but history suggests that might be wishful thinking. Especially that the last cunning plan was to jettison Bignot and get Slade in!!!!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 15, 2019, 7:07pm; Reply: 156
There has been comments in the last week on here that our budget, by comparison, was worse than other clubs.  At least worse than generally believed. No idea where the truth lies.

However, I am now concerned that our budget could get relegated. 😏
Posted by: Ipswin, November 15, 2019, 7:19pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
There has been comments in the last week on here that our budget, by comparison, was worse than other clubs.  At least worse than generally believed. No idea where the truth lies.

However, I am now concerned that our budget could get relegated. 😏

A big budget is only part of the battle the manager has to be able to get the best out of whoever he buys.. If Jolley had been given twice or even three times the budget it would not have made any difference other than making the club a lot poorer, he just didn't have the necessary managerial skills

Posted by: buckstown, November 15, 2019, 7:21pm; Reply: 158
Whilst hating being fair to JF we won't be relegated and we made money last year. According to talksport today 80% of EFL clubs are losing money and many are in untenable positions
That's not suggesting he's faultless
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 15, 2019, 7:24pm; Reply: 159
Things has gone off the boil massively on and off the pitch you could tell that by the performance level and his general cliche’d flat manner in the press.

Maybe it had just run its course but “by mutual consent” always sounds like a cop out of some kind.

Back to shopping in the bargain basement again I reckon, not sure who’ll fancy working for trigger happy John? I’m sure someone will be desperate enough. IMHO not Limbrick though please.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 15, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from Bigdog
I'm really not bothered about Jolley leaving at all. I just don't think he's cut out for the managerial game. Perfect timing for someone to come in and have December to look at the players before the window. Dire football, poor results, poor tactics, home support down to 3.5k, little excitement, players playing without confidence.. can't see what all the fuss is about tbh. Club have got it spot on in my opinion..

Praying for a decent replacement though!. Think there's one or two decent managers out of work and one or two in work doing great things in non-league.. so here's hoping the board will spend the right amount of money to get the right amount of managerial talent we need to break this boring monotony we've had to endure since our return to the league..

Sounds like this is just the song for JF.... someone to come in and tell him what a great non-chairman he is  :P

Posted by: moosey_club, November 15, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from 1542

I thought exactly this when Macca didn’t play!! He never misses a game!! Something has gone off, that’s for sure!!

I was starting to think he’d lost the dressing room too!!

How can any manager lose the dressing room ?

Its been in the same place for about 120 yrs  ;D
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 15, 2019, 7:47pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from moosey_club

His power point crashed and he couldn't reboot the computer to use his Google maps app!!
Posted by: moosey_club, November 15, 2019, 7:48pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from chrissy
Farage is buying the club and wants his own man in charge .  ( joke )  ;D

Would be a typical appointment for us , a manager with no ambitions to play in Europe.
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 15, 2019, 7:50pm; Reply: 164
One of the most worrying things about all this is that if rumours (from people who seem to just be able to spread rumours without anything to back them up which is really easy to do on an Internet forum without any comeback) are actually true, that is 2 out of the last 3 managers who have be ‘hounded’ out of the club with a significant amount of player power involved.

If true then that is not acceptable in any way imho.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 15, 2019, 7:56pm; Reply: 165

Does this mean Vernam will be recalled from his loan at Chorley ?
Posted by: heppy88, November 15, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from buckstown
We've been rubbish in the games I've seen this season

We've been rubbish since we returned to the football league. Lets be honest overall we've been rubbish for years.
Its like watching The Walking Dead on TV, its been crap for years, but Ive invested that much time in it I just cant let go.
Posted by: MrsMariner, November 15, 2019, 8:00pm; Reply: 167
Well I'm really disappointed I hope those on here who have been calling for his sacking over the last month or so are pleased with themselves.
But what has happened to the team that started the season so well top scorers in the division, best goal difference it was all looking so good. I hope it's not player power again influencing the board as we'll never get any where if every time the players aren't too happy with a particular manager they force him out.
I did hear in the very early days of MJ's tenure that the players didn't like him or his methods, but that squad's been and gone with the exception of Macca, may be this summer's recruits have just worked him out and decided they don't want to play for him.
So where do we go from here I'm sure the squad are good enough I just hope the board can find the right man to get the best out of them. UTM
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 15, 2019, 8:00pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from promotion plaice

Does it mean that Robson will be on his way back to Sunderland?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 15, 2019, 8:05pm; Reply: 169
I said to a mate last night that I thought he was living on borrowed time . Didn’t expect him to be gone this morning though.
MJ is an intelligent bloke who id think comes up with a master plan for every opponent regardless of the previous result and performance of his players . Over analysing and complicating things as a result. It’s ended up costing his job as L2 isn’t the place for that .
In his perfect world we’d be playing that flowing football and high press that he thought he’d be able to achieve. Unfortunately the ball flies around too much for any of the above . As we all knew when he came out with it 😂
A license my bottom .
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from Heisenberg

Nearly spat out my red wine.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :( deserves post of the week
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 15, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from forza ivano

Nearly spat out my red wine.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :( deserves post of the week

What a near waste of red wine...I'm tipping a glass to a bright future myself..
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 8:15pm; Reply: 172
Quoted from moosey_club

Sorry Heisingberg but THIS deserves post of the week ,the wife and I are still giggling about it 5 minutes later. Fishy gallows humour has to be amongst the best in the country
Posted by: GollyGTFC, November 15, 2019, 8:17pm; Reply: 173
Strange timing. A Friday. 6 days since last match & 24 days since last league match.

Tomorrow is 6 calendar months until the League Two play-off Final. Jolley was on a 6 month rolling contract. Maybe the club tried to give him his 6 month notice period to end his contact (maybe with the possibility of earning a new contact) and he wouldn’t agree to that. And an immediate termination was only possible outcome?

Personally I have no sympathy. League results have not been good enough and have dropped off significantly in 2019 compared the 2018. And crowds haven’t been particularly good recently either which always seems to alarm Fenty and co more than any other factor when considering a manager’s future.
Posted by: Squinter, November 15, 2019, 8:30pm; Reply: 174
Can't help thinking that maybe JF has done it now because he really wants to beat Newport in replay.  Winning is worth approx £100k total with TV money from next round,  plus the chance of big money game if we beat Tiptree

Nobody expected us to beat Newport away with Jolley, now we might have a chance.
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 15, 2019, 8:32pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from Squinter
Can't help thinking that maybe JF has done it now because he really wants to beat Newport in replay.  Winning is worth approx £100k total with TV money from next round,  plus the chance of big money game if we beat Tiptree

Nobody expected us to beat Newport away with Jolley, now we might have a chance.

It occurred to me.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 15, 2019, 8:34pm; Reply: 176
Quoted from Squinter

So if it was a mutually agreed departure then that must have meant MJ didn't think we could beat Newport at their place either  ::)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 15, 2019, 8:44pm; Reply: 177

Maybe the rank stupidity of sending him out and getting him cup tied sealed it.
Posted by: Squinter, November 15, 2019, 8:48pm; Reply: 178
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

So if it was a mutually agreed departure then that must have meant MJ didn't think we could beat Newport at their place either  ::)

Mutually generally means 'I'll take a payoff and keep quiet. '
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 15, 2019, 8:57pm; Reply: 179
I wouldn't be surprised if Fenty and the Town board were already talking to the next potential new manager prior to Jolley been sacked.  I bet they already got someone lined up who they really think is a more capable manager.
Posted by: Croxton, November 15, 2019, 9:09pm; Reply: 180
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Maybe the rank stupidity of sending him out and getting him cup tied sealed it.

So many strange decisions. Bad though this was ,considering our lack of pace or ability to attack defenders, the signing of Welsh as Club Skipper last season was a red flag. One wonders if MJ can identify priorities correctly let alone find solutions.

He couldn't decide if he was a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 15, 2019, 9:09pm; Reply: 181
We seem to be inextricably linked to Newport over the previous few seasons. It's interesting that they too were on the brink of relegation out of the league the season before us and in fact were in a much more precarious position when they appointed a young, inexperienced manager in Mike Flynn. He duly saved them from the drop miraculously, then followed that up by finishing 11th the next season and getting to a play off final the season after. Not to mention some very lucrative cup exploits along the way. All that achieved without a Pro license and on average gates of less than 3500.

That folks, is what you call progress, and those saying MJ needed more time, should look at what can be achieved relatively quickly if you get the right man at the helm. Also interesting to note that they are fan owned and run club.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 9:27pm; Reply: 182
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I wouldn't be surprised if Fenty and the Town board were already talking to the next potential new manager prior to Jolley been sacked.  I bet they already got someone lined up who they really think is a more capable manager.

Fenty thinking ahead and having a masterplan? That's 2 massive assumptions. In fact even trying to contemplate that scenario is making me feel like Dougal Maguire in Father Ted trying to grasp the concept of God
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 15, 2019, 9:37pm; Reply: 183
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

I’m sure MJ allegedly applying for another job probably bruised a few egos in the boardroom and I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a former Town employee installed fairly quickly. Just a hunch.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, November 15, 2019, 9:45pm; Reply: 184
Shocked when I saw this on Sky. When MJ kept us up we were all here praising him to the hilt. Since then there has been criticism and fans are frustrated that, after a great start, we have lapsed back into the old ways.

Several teams in this league seem to be the same in that their form varies from season to season and match to match. No consistency and no one club is dominant.

I would have given Jolley until Christmas at least. Having two games called off has not been to our advantages and we only need 3 or 4 points to be back in mid table.

We have good enough players to be mid table at least. I have no idea who they can bring in to achieve some consistency.

We have had nine or ten years of absolute hell and we are in desperate need of an upturn in fortunes. I have no idea who they bring in to turn it all around. Very depressing.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 15, 2019, 9:54pm; Reply: 185
Quoted from hampshiremariner
Shocked when I saw this on Sky. When MJ kept us up we were all here praising him to the hilt. Since then there has been criticism and fans are frustrated that, after a great start, we have lapsed back into the old ways.

Several teams in this league seem to be the same in that their form varies from season to season and match to match. No consistency and no one club is dominant.

I would have given Jolley until Christmas at least. Having two games called off has not been to our advantages and we only need 3 or 4 points to be back in mid table.

We have good enough players to be mid table at least. I have no idea who they can bring in to achieve some consistency.

We have had nine or ten years of absolute hell and we are in desperate need of an upturn in fortunes. I have no idea who they bring in to turn it all around. Very depressing.

I don’t think form and results are the sole reason. The drop off in form doesn’t match last year’s, the drop off in performance was worrying but, now others have mentioned it, the drop off in connectivity between Jolley and the fans and community is glaring.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 15, 2019, 9:57pm; Reply: 186
Quoted from Croxton

So many strange decisions. Bad though this was ,considering our lack of pace or ability to attack defenders, the signing of Welsh as Club Skipper last season was a red flag. One wonders if MJ can identify priorities correctly let alone find solutions.

He couldn't decide if he was a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist.

I get it Croxton, Managers with no money rely on their background, connections, scouting networks and sometimes just people they’ve trusted throughout their time growing up in the game.

I hate the “he’s never played the game” attitude but maybe as MJs resources were meagre his lack of background has slowed down the feel good factor that had so much influence on and off the pitch.

I hope he gets himself back to a big club working under the radar with youngsters etc.. and he finds a football career.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 15, 2019, 10:17pm; Reply: 187
We might of missed something here maybe MJ canned it as the club seems to have been tainted by political nut jobs and narcissists in the last 24 hours.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 15, 2019, 10:33pm; Reply: 188
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don’t think form and results are the sole reason. The drop off in form doesn’t match last year’s, the drop off in performance was worrying but, now others have mentioned it, the drop off in connectivity between Jolley and the fans and community is glaring.

Takes two sides I suppose.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 10:39pm; Reply: 189
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m sure MJ allegedly applying for another job probably bruised a few egos in the boardroom and I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a former Town employee installed fairly quickly. Just a hunch.

Oh God.please not. I'd hate to see macca/ disley/woodhouse/ anyone else youd care to mention destroyed like Rodger/ woods/ groves. IT DOESNT WORK
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 15, 2019, 10:48pm; Reply: 190
Quoted from MuddyWaters

.....or jobs ;)
Posted by: golfer, November 15, 2019, 10:48pm; Reply: 191
How many more times do you want telling-it's Robbie Stockdale  F.F.S.
Posted by: EY Mariner, November 15, 2019, 10:51pm; Reply: 192
I remain as bitterly disappointed by the announcement of Michael Jolley's departure tonight as I was when I first saw it. As far as I'm concerned, we have shown the door to a decent man who had done a good job broadly speaking and now won't get the chance to finish it.

Now I accept that we haven't been playing well of late and I can also see the argument that we should be getting more out of the squad we have. But are we anywhere near plumbing the kind of depths we were during the last days of his predecessor's reign? I think not. Sadly, rather like with Marcus Bignot, I believe this decision to be wholly premature and one that, if we're not careful, could cost us very, very dearly indeed.
Posted by: easypeersy, November 15, 2019, 10:55pm; Reply: 193
Wow
Something bad has gone on behind the scenes
It must have!
Posted by: mariner91, November 16, 2019, 12:53am; Reply: 194
Quoted from EY Mariner
I remain as bitterly disappointed by the announcement of Michael Jolley's departure tonight as I was when I first saw it. As far as I'm concerned, we have shown the door to a decent man who had done a good job broadly speaking and now won't get the chance to finish it.

Now I accept that we haven't been playing well of late and I can also see the argument that we should be getting more out of the squad we have. But are we anywhere near plumbing the kind of depths we were during the last days of his predecessor's reign? I think not. Sadly, rather like with Marcus Bignot, I believe this decision to be wholly premature and one that, if we're not careful, could cost us very, very dearly indeed.

Bignot managed a team to 19th in the National League North last season after getting Chester relegated and finishing 23rd in the National League the season before. If that's the calibre of manager you expect us to have then God help us. I doubt Jolley or Bignot will ever manage in the FL again, they were both just not up to it.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 16, 2019, 3:39am; Reply: 195

Emergency loans can't be recalled in the first 28 days I think.

As for Robson, long term loans can't be recalled outside a transfer window
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 16, 2019, 6:39am; Reply: 196
Quoted from EY Mariner

The ‘decent man’ bit makes sense to most of us fans, and I would certainly have agreed to that until recently, but as the Chinese whispers become more frequent it does become a more viable perception that actually most people at the club did NOT like him.
Posted by: Hameln Mariner, November 16, 2019, 7:06am; Reply: 197
Quoted from Heisenberg

The ‘decent man’ bit makes sense to most of us fans, and I would certainly have agreed to that until recently, but as the Chinese whispers become more frequent it does become a more viable perception that actually most people at the club did NOT like him.

My viable perception is that there is someone else at the club who has been there for considerably longer than MJ's tenure with a distinctly underwhelming record whilst he has been there who is also not liked by most supporters who may be the root cause of our issues both recent and over the long term too.
Posted by: wiggers, November 16, 2019, 7:23am; Reply: 198
Wonder why Limberick hasn’t gone with him? Something not right there......Usually if it’s a results based decision both Manager and Assistant leave together
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 16, 2019, 7:56am; Reply: 199
Quoted from Hameln Mariner

My viable perception is that there is someone else at the club who has been there for considerably longer than MJ's tenure with a distinctly underwhelming record whilst he has been there who is also not liked by most supporters who may be the root cause of our issues both recent and over the long term too.

Well yes, that is irrefutable.
Posted by: golfer, November 16, 2019, 8:38am; Reply: 200
Quoted from wiggers
Wonder why Limberick hasn’t gone with him? Something not right there......Usually if it’s a results based decision both Manager and Assistant leave together

Soon "Truth will out" and no sooner than when the time is right
Posted by: golfer, November 16, 2019, 9:00am; Reply: 201
Why can't we ever keep a manager like Wycombe Wanderers -Gareth Ainsworth-now over 7 years. Jolly was welcomed at the club and appears to have been given a free reign as far as signings. JSF can,t be blamed all the time because it goes further back before he was on the scene ( although a lot of people blame him for everything ) Obviously we have never had a "rich sugar daddy" because there are no rich sugar daddies in this area. If you get the lottery up it's still not enough to do any good
Posted by: cannylad68, November 16, 2019, 9:57am; Reply: 202
Does Dave Moore get the clipboard now?
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 16, 2019, 10:28am; Reply: 203
Quoted from EY Mariner

Some recent performances and lack of efforts on target were sadly reminiscent of performances under Russell Slade.
Posted by: ROKERITE, November 16, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 204
Quoted from EY Mariner

I agree with you completely. Considering how long previous Grimsby managers have been given when it was clear they were failing it's very disappointing MJ has left too soon. I suspect Fenty never shared the enthusiasm that many supporters did for Jolley initially.
I look forward to watching MJ's future career, I'm sorry it won't be with Grimsby.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, November 16, 2019, 10:41am; Reply: 205
Quoted from golfer
Why can't we ever keep a manager like Wycombe Wanderers -Gareth Ainsworth-now over 7 years. Jolly was welcomed at the club and appears to have been given a free reign as far as signings. JSF can,t be blamed all the time because it goes further back before he was on the scene ( although a lot of people blame him for everything ) Obviously we have never had a "rich sugar daddy" because there are no rich sugar daddies in this area. If you get the lottery up it's still not enough to do any good

Yes there is but they choose to spend their dosh at old Trafford Stamford bridge and the opera
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 16, 2019, 11:05am; Reply: 206
Quoted from cannylad68
Does Dave Moore get the clipboard now?

Do keep up - it's an iPad now. ;)

Posted by: davmariner, November 16, 2019, 11:38am; Reply: 207
It’s a huge risk. Whilst we aren’t in a good patch, we’re relatively stable. If the new manager doesn’t hit the ground running, this move could well plunge us into a relegation fight. It’s not a call that I trust JF to make to be honest.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 16, 2019, 12:42pm; Reply: 208
Did we ever find out why McKeown didn't play?  Has there been a Wes Thomas moment?
Posted by: Hagrid, November 16, 2019, 12:46pm; Reply: 209
He was ill
Posted by: dicko995, November 16, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 210
But was Macca ill?, maybe it will all come out later in the week. Something isn't right in the Camp, especially with Jolley walking on his own, and Limbrick staying. We may never know, but it wasn't just about the results.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 16, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 211
Told by a good source that he was ill
Posted by: Dopleganger, November 16, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 212

Cant have been that bloomin ill. Saw him in Morrisons a couple of days later, peeing down rain, freezing cold wearing shorts and tshirt.
Posted by: EY Mariner, November 16, 2019, 2:55pm; Reply: 213
Quoted from mariner91

Bignot managed a team to 19th in the National League North last season after getting Chester relegated and finishing 23rd in the National League the season before. If that's the calibre of manager you expect us to have then God help us. I doubt Jolley or Bignot will ever manage in the FL again, they were both just not up to it.

My point was not about what either Bignot has gone on to do since leaving us or what Jolley may go on to do now he has departed. My point was they didn't get the chance to finish what they'd started. That is what is important here. I'm not interested in where a potential manager comes from like you perhaps might be with your "calibre" comment. I'm interested in what people can do and whoever is appointed getting a proper opportunity to show. Bignot never got it and Jolley has been axed prematurely. That should be clear to anyone who doesn't have an axe to grind.
Posted by: mimma, November 16, 2019, 3:14pm; Reply: 214
Quoted from EY Mariner

My point was not about what either Bignot has gone on to do since leaving us or what Jolley may go on to do now he has departed. My point was they didn't get the chance to finish what they'd started. That is what is important here. I'm not interested in where a potential manager comes from like you perhaps might be with your "calibre" comment. I'm interested in what people can do and whoever is appointed getting a proper opportunity to show. Bignot never got it and Jolley has been axed prematurely. That should be clear to anyone who doesn't have an axe to grind.

I don't think that either of them would have "finished" what they started because we were going backwards and there didn't look like there would be any improvement.  Unless by finish you mean relegation!
Posted by: smokey111, November 16, 2019, 3:28pm; Reply: 215
I will start this with ALLEGEDLY.....MJ was touting himself for the Lincoln job a few weeks ago, the club got wind and a parting of the ways was agreed. Apologies if this may have been in the previous 20 odd pages.
Posted by: Mikey_345, November 16, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 216
What pisses me off is that the club are taking us for fools. If something’s gone on then don’t try and pass it off as due to “a poor run” we aren’t stupid - we haven’t played for how long!
Posted by: mimma, November 16, 2019, 5:23pm; Reply: 217
Does it really matter why he's gone? He's gone and that's the end of it. If someone gets the sack at work they don't have to go round and explain it do they?

It's obvious that the style of play and players body languish that it's not working and it looks like Jolley couldn't change it. What more do you want?
Posted by: smokey111, November 16, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 218
Quoted from mimma
Does it really matter why he's gone? He's gone and that's the end of it. If someone gets the sack at work they don't have to go round and explain it do they?

It's obvious that the style of play and players body languish that it's not working and it looks like Jolley couldn't change it. What more do you want?

Might as well close the thread and not discuss or speculate anymore then!
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, November 16, 2019, 5:54pm; Reply: 219
What ever the reason Jolley has gone maybe (I doubt we'll find out ofr a long while), I just hope whoever does come in does three things. One plays some sort of attacking football, whether its fast passing like Crewe or quick counter attacking like Liverpool. Two, keeps playing the youth players that are in and around the squad and doesn't force them out come transfer window time and three leaves someone up top when we are defending corners and freekicks to give us an outlet when we are successful.
Posted by: smokey111, November 16, 2019, 6:31pm; Reply: 220
What ever the reason Jolley has gone maybe (I doubt we'll find out ofr a long while), I just hope whoever does come in does three things. One plays some sort of attacking football, whether its fast passing like Crewe or quick counter attacking like Liverpool. Two, keeps playing the youth players that are in and around the squad and doesn't force them out come transfer window time and three leaves someone up top when we are defending corners and freekicks to give us an outlet when we are successful.

This, apart from the obsession with leaving people up for corners. I have read and heard several coaches say the less people in the box the easier it becomes to get a clear run and attack the ball. Sam Allardyce explained this and TBH I can't think of a better manager to look to for defending set pieces.

This 'leaving a man up' is bordering on flask territory!!!
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 16, 2019, 6:34pm; Reply: 221
Quoted from mimma

Summed up perfectly.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, November 16, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 222
Quoted from smokey111

This, apart from the obsession with leaving people up for corners. I have read and heard several coaches say the less people in the box the easier it becomes to get a clear run and attack the ball. Sam Allardyce explained this and TBH I can't think of a better manager to look to for defending set pieces.

It bugs me to death that we don't and I'm nowhere near flask territory. You've just got to look at the number of times this season we've cleared the ball from a corner or freekick, for it to come straight back into the box because we haven't got anyone outside of the box to compete for it, putting us under more pressure once again.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 16, 2019, 7:09pm; Reply: 223
Quoted from smokey111

Except we have the best guy in the league (Hanson) and the 6th best (Waterfall) to win the aerial ball, so the space would benefit us.

I'd leave 3 up to depopulate the penalty area. Maybe old-school, maybe deranged...I'm not sure. (Someone will tell me  ::) )
Posted by: smokey111, November 16, 2019, 7:35pm; Reply: 224
But those defending tend to be stationary or running towards their own goal. Having played (all be it at a lower level) once someone has 'the run on you' and is attacking the ball, if the delivery is right there is very little you can do bar foul them. I won't requoute Allardyce but I would imagine he researched this to death and has it backed ip by more statistics than you would find in the financial times!!!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 16, 2019, 7:36pm; Reply: 225
We have been really poor at passing and keeping the ball. This season and last TBH we’ve also looked really disorganised at both defending attacking set pieces. You only have to look at our kick off (Hess back to a CB who hoofs it to Hanson) to understand the game plan.

Keeper as captain, square pegs, zero width, week in week out defensive/shape changes, Vernam loaned out, Clifton going backwards, hoof ball, poor home form. supposed altercations with supporters, bigging up the opposition, cliche after cliche in the media, etc... etc... every manager makes mistakes but they where stacking up under Jolley at an alarming rate. If you look at how it tends to end with sacked managers the signs where there and maybe he recognised that too, who knows?

He as well as Macca’s saves and Mitch Rose’s penalties kept us up that season and he should always be regarded highly for that. I also think though it’s thin on numbers this squad is better than when he started.

It’s a really hard job being a L2 Manager one that you need a thick skin for which incidentally I don’t think he has but I hope he finds a career in football because he cares and clearly he understood what GTFC meant.

The acid test of wether a sacking is right or not is if the replacement is an upgrade............. over to you JF 🙈🤬
Posted by: Mariner16, November 16, 2019, 7:42pm; Reply: 226
Audio clip of Jolley going mental at Tondeur going round on Twitter. Burns, Dean get it big time
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 16, 2019, 7:43pm; Reply: 227
Quoted from Mariner16
Audio clip of Jolley going mental at Tondeur going round on Twitter. Burns, Dean get it big time

You got a link for it??
Posted by: smokey111, November 16, 2019, 7:44pm; Reply: 228
Link please!!!!
Posted by: Hagrid, November 16, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 229
Links gone. I can assure you it was well worth 4 minutes listening. Never heard so many F words.
Posted by: golfer, November 16, 2019, 7:49pm; Reply: 230
Quoted from Dopleganger

Cant have been that bloomin ill. Saw him in Morrisons a couple of days later, peeing down rain, freezing cold wearing shorts and tshirt.

Piles mate-went in to get some anusol. Heard that a top dog was getting sacked-been shiting bricks all week.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 16, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 231

I think Tondeur stopped interviewing Jolley recently but could be wrong.
Posted by: Mariner16, November 16, 2019, 7:57pm; Reply: 232
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TownFan15/status/1195781331986386944?s=19[/tweet]
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 16, 2019, 7:58pm; Reply: 233
Quoted from Mariner16

Make it your life’s work to find that clip.....
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 16, 2019, 7:58pm; Reply: 234
Quoted from Mariner16
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TownFan15/status/1195781331986386944?s=19[/tweet]

The link is still not working   :)

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 16, 2019, 8:07pm; Reply: 235
And there in ladies n gents is why Jolley has gone...calling Matt Dean antagonistic and slating towns budget....never knew he could be so nasty!... pressure obviously got to him there...
Posted by: MarinerDevil, November 16, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 236
Behind the scenes at a football club is a different world.  The level of abuse that passes as standard conversation would shock the faint hearted.  But the fact that he has that sort of outburst in him has ruined my perception of Jolley.  

I sometimes wonder why Matt Dean bothers with this club.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 16, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 237
I agree. Matt is a good Journalist. Doesnt deserve that
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 16, 2019, 8:16pm; Reply: 238
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Behind the scenes at a football club is a different world.  The level of abuse that passes as standard conversation would shock the faint hearted.  But the fact that he has that sort of outburst in him has ruined my perception of Jolley.  

I sometimes wonder why Matt Dean bothers with this club.

I used to know Matt from college - he’s a Mariner through and through.
Posted by: Tommy, November 16, 2019, 8:25pm; Reply: 239
https://we.tl/t-mrxIm3hLeU?src=dnl
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 16, 2019, 8:32pm; Reply: 240
Looks like there's a snake in the press room but the aptly numbered 1 suggests more could be released.

Time to grab the popcorn.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 16, 2019, 8:36pm; Reply: 241
More fux than a Chubby Brown tour. Quite astonishing really and won’t play out well when he goes for his next job interview.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 16, 2019, 8:38pm; Reply: 242
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Looks like there's a snake in the press room but the aptly numbered 1 suggests more could be released.

Time to grab the popcorn.

Who cares if theres a snake!? Good on him/her. Least we know whats really going on
Posted by: LH, November 16, 2019, 8:42pm; Reply: 243
Decorum, professionalism and my sympathy all gone after listening to that. The public figure of the club we all look to for leadership and stability and he acts like that to one of our ‘advertisers’. Phone-in radio is the clickbait of the 20th Century. Adrian Durham talks shite to get people to ring in and give him content for the programme and his station money. Humberside aren’t a lot different in that sense. Of course they’ll say things to get a reaction!
Posted by: Numanoid, November 16, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 244
Jolley is right to have a go imho , sneaky radio hull recording on the sly ! Jolley only saying what i thought anyway
Posted by: Hagrid, November 16, 2019, 8:52pm; Reply: 245
Jeremy paxman
Posted by: sam gy, November 16, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 246
All a bit weird. I listen to RH a lot and don’t really find their journalism THAT negative towards Town.
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, November 16, 2019, 9:09pm; Reply: 247
And there in ladies n gents is why Jolley has gone...calling Matt Dean antagonistic and slating towns budget....never knew he could be so nasty!... pressure obviously got to him there...

Looks like he's realized that he's just pizzing into the wind at GTFC, especially having talked to previous managers. Seem to recall Hurst having spats about "journo" remarks and budgets  and even JF also falling out with Radio Hullberside. I believe Jolley was just a little naive when he came here and was probably served up a crock of bullcrap which he believed in his gullibility. All in all, I'll bet it was a relief to go (mutually).The board will now be looking for the next mug!  
Posted by: ska face, November 16, 2019, 9:12pm; Reply: 248
We all know where the real friction between Humberside and the club comes from, and it certainly isn’t “every manager“...
Posted by: jaygy, November 16, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 249
Surely it's in a journslists best interest to ask tough questions and ones that the manager may not like but he needs to answer. A journalist cant be the managers best mate or it would make for very boring interviews. RH owe this club nothing, they give us great coverage and I've personally never heard them put the club down and if they did then I'm sure GTFC deserved it because let's be honest we're a sh*t show at times on and off the pitch. Jolley comes across terribly in that audio file and seems to be living off the fact that he kept this club in the league....we were gifted it by some very lucky penalty decisions
Posted by: Yoda, November 16, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 250
I wonder who gave permission for that to be released.?????
Posted by: davmariner, November 16, 2019, 9:19pm; Reply: 251
Interesting people are missing how excrement the budget is!
Posted by: LH, November 16, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 252
Quoted from davmariner

We’re not. We know the budget is paltry.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 16, 2019, 9:23pm; Reply: 253
Quoted from davmariner

Not in the slightest or the substantial loan repayment.
Posted by: SomeSanity, November 16, 2019, 9:26pm; Reply: 254
As much as he was wrong to go into that tirade it was no worse than Fentygate ..the car one, in my opinion.

They were obviously looking for an excuse to pull the trigger and did so. This vid has leaked to justify it.
Posted by: SomeSanity, November 16, 2019, 9:34pm; Reply: 255
Actually.. the embarrassing thing is the amount of people bottom kissing the fella on Twitter.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 16, 2019, 9:39pm; Reply: 256
Not passing judgement quickly but a man buckling under the pressure. Its not the media's fault we been doing a bit crap.
Posted by: Maringer, November 16, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 257
Sounds like a bunker mentality has truly set in. I don't hear much of the Humberside coverage but the bits I've heard seem fair enough to me.

Do local radio stations usually just give fluff questions and act as a PR extension of the club?
Posted by: Rik e B, November 16, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 258
The sooner we move on, hopefully positively the better, but as long as we paying back Fenty our budget is gonna be only just above relegation level.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 16, 2019, 9:42pm; Reply: 259
Like I said in another thread, RH questioning seems pretty tame by and large, rarely ask the pressing questions we all really want the answers to.
Posted by: Henryscat, November 16, 2019, 9:46pm; Reply: 260
Regardless of the content of the audio file the fact it’s in the public domain is worrying. I can’t imagine anyone at RH releasing it which suggests to me it’s someone in the club.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 16, 2019, 9:52pm; Reply: 261
Quoted from Henryscat
Regardless of the content of the audio file the fact it’s in the public domain is worrying. I can’t imagine anyone at RH releasing it which suggests to me it’s someone in the club.

Whatever you feel about the audio clip, it shows how limited the club’s resources are and how the underlying effects of the loan repayments are eating away at our ability to compete.

This audio just underlines the amateur way we are run and many people at Grimsby Town should be pretty ashamed of the content.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 16, 2019, 10:15pm; Reply: 262
Historically there has been criticism of JT in particular re his failure to ask MJ some tougher questions and a desire to have Burnsy interview him so not sure where MJ’s beef comes from.

Like all fans the comments on the budget are not good listening especially as JF said this was going to be increased this season and is certainly something that has to be addressed if any new Manager is to progress this club.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 16, 2019, 10:52pm; Reply: 263
Historically there has been criticism of JT in particular re his failure to ask MJ some tougher questions and a desire to have Burnsy interview him so not sure where MJ’s beef comes from.

Like all fans the comments on the budget are not good listening especially as JF said this was going to be increased this season and is certainly something that has to be addressed if any new Manager is to progress this club.

I actually don;t see JT as a journo or correspondent he's just the commentator TBH and he's limited. I always feel he does this as a a hobby rather than a career.    
Posted by: Rik e B, November 16, 2019, 10:59pm; Reply: 264
Those upthemariners wanna-be-journos said they had 'their team' there and witnessed. And they were first to officially put that story into the public domain. It was all hearsay and rumour but they reported as a fact they witnessed first hand.

Not pointing fingers, I just can't see the club releasing this into public domain.

There's plenty of different parties around the press room.
Posted by: LH, November 16, 2019, 11:07pm; Reply: 265
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I actually don;t see JT as a journo or correspondent he's just the commentator TBH and he's limited. I always feel he does this as a a hobby rather than a career.    

This. I do sometimes think it’s unfair to make him do both roles. It’s exhausting enough watching the games as it is.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 17, 2019, 1:02am; Reply: 266
Quoted from smokey111

There is a contrarian view, which is that when you have a small team you leave 3 players up the pitch.this means the attacking side leave 4-5 men back, which leaves the 18 yard box uncluttered and allows your keeper to claim the ball more easily.have seen the tactic used to very good effect by my local club at southern league level
Posted by: forza ivano, November 17, 2019, 1:12am; Reply: 267

Looks like he's realized that he's just pizzing into the wind at GTFC, especially having talked to previous managers. Seem to recall Hurst having spats about "journo" remarks and budgets  and even JF also falling out with Radio Hullberside. I believe Jolley was just a little naive when he came here and was probably served up a crock of bullcrap which he believed in his gullibility. All in all, I'll bet it was a relief to go (mutually).The board will now be looking for the next mug!  

Summed up beautifully. Ps the same man, who obviously lost it, has replied personally, to 5he  near250 town fans who tweeted their thanks for his efforts. He really didn't need to given how hes been treated and he has just gone up in my estimation
Posted by: rancido, November 17, 2019, 12:23pm; Reply: 268

It bugs me to death that we don't and I'm nowhere near flask territory. You've just got to look at the number of times this season we've cleared the ball from a corner or freekick, for it to come straight back into the box because we haven't got anyone outside of the box to compete for it, putting us under more pressure once again.

But it could be argued that we defended the corner/free kick because of the number of players pulled back into the penalty area.
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 18, 2019, 4:13pm; Reply: 269
Quoted from arryarryarry

Been busy all weekend, so only just seen this. I'm not arsed about the source, it's the details we all want. If you aren't gonna tell people, then what's the point in smugly hinting that you know? It means one of two things:

1) You're withholding information from fellow fans, which is worse than the powers that be at the club doing it as they're at least looking out for themselves and their livelihoods.

or

2) You're making it up.

Quoted from Nelly GTFC

Can't tell if this is an incredibly great satirical jibe at the club or if you're just a bit deluded.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 19, 2019, 1:54pm; Reply: 270
Made national newspapers now, not surprised, it's even made Russia Today lol >> https://www.rt.com/sport/473781-grimsby-michael-jolley-sacked-f-word-58-times/
Quoted from Son of Cod
Can't tell if this is an incredibly great satirical jibe at the club or if you're just a bit deluded.
Just an hypothesis before I/we knew the full circumstances. It does happen at many clubs though. I don't think it's a bad thing for board directors to do, especially when other clubs at our league level are in the same situation of looking for a new manager, time is everything, snooze and you lose.

Posted by: Tommy, November 19, 2019, 2:37pm; Reply: 271
I really don't get the criticism and, in some quarters, strong dislike for Radio Humberside.

How can there be a criticism of RH that they've been negative, when despite a few exceptions, it's been nothing but negative for the last 15 years.

What is there to be positive about when we've either been in relegation battles or in non-league for all but one of those years?

What is there to be positive about when we have defenders in midfield and set up to counter the opposition all the time as opposed to trying to impose our style.

MJ didn't seem to like answering tricky or critical questions anyway (and rarely gave a straight answer), so it seems strange for him to suggest they should've asked him tougher questions in interviews rather than just be critical on their shows.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 19, 2019, 2:40pm; Reply: 272
It might be a minor point, but If you don’t leave a man (or men) up after conceding a corner, then the ball will come straight back to you every time.

I find it strange that Jolley went out of his way to bar any fan from twitter who might have been slightly critical of football issues.  Even when the comments were very pertinent.

Then after leaving, he thanks individually all the fans who sent him good luck messages. Some fans who were probably barred before.  This all sounds like a fragile ego,
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 19, 2019, 3:11pm; Reply: 273
Quoted from Tommy
I really don't get the criticism and, in some quarters, strong dislike for Radio Humberside.

How can there be a criticism of RH that they've been negative, when despite a few exceptions, it's been nothing but negative for the last 15 years.

What is there to be positive about when we've either been in relegation battles or in non-league for all but one of those years?

What is there to be positive about when we have defenders in midfield and set up to counter the opposition all the time as opposed to trying to impose our style.

MJ didn't seem to like answering tricky or critical questions anyway (and rarely gave a straight answer), so it seems strange for him to suggest they should've asked him tougher questions in interviews rather than just be critical on their shows.

There's some people (including Fenty and clearly Jolley) who seem to think Radio Humberside's role is to act as an uncritical cheerleader for the club, rather than impartial reporters. If they're concerned about how they're covered on Radio Humberside they maybe they ought to contact Ofcom (who'd throw their complain in the bin), or possibly maybe exercise a bit of self-criticism over their own track record?

Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, November 19, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 274
Quoted from Chrisblor

There's some people (including Fenty and clearly Jolley) who seem to think Radio Humberside's role is to act as an uncritical cheerleader for the club, rather than impartial reporters. If they're concerned about how they're covered on Radio Humberside they maybe they ought to contact Ofcom (who'd throw their complain in the bin), or possibly maybe exercise a bit of self-criticism over their own track record?

;D In Fenty's interview (part 2 I think) he could not resisting telling us we have been to a National stadium no less than 6 times in his tenure (including Cardiff I guess).

Conveniently forgetting all 6 of those occasions were only made possible thanks to our decline from the 2nd tier under his tenure. And that 4 of those occasions were only possible thanks us being a non league club....I do not think any self-criticism is likely anytime soon.

In fact the way it came across I am now not sure if it was Fenty or Podge who bobbled that spot kick over the line against Braintree.  ;D
Posted by: Tommy, November 19, 2019, 3:31pm; Reply: 275
Quoted from Chrisblor

....and presuming MJ was ambitious and wanted to manage as high as he could in the game, he'd get a lot more scrutiny and criticism if he was managing in the higher leagues and for bigger clubs.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 19, 2019, 3:45pm; Reply: 276
Quoted from Tommy

I've said exactly the same.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 19, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 277

Quoted Text
In fact the way it came across I am now not sure if it was Fenty or Podge who bobbled that spot kick over the line against Braintree.  ;D

Well he's talking about finally hanging his boots up so you may be onto something there!

But yeah it's cringe worthy how he constantly tries to big up his tenure... Ego-maniac springs to mind. Being a bit more humble might win people over a little more.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 12:05pm