Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley sacked
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 21 Guests

Jolley sacked

This thread currently has 50,777 views. Print
28 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 15, 2019, 2:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Only surprise is the timing but as I am not privy to what goes on behind the scenes not sure if he walked, was pushed or both parties were actually in agreement that change was required.

Given recent threads on the Fishy amazed how many fans are upset by this decision and Tommy’s post is a perfect summary of why change was required. How many of us had a clue what our tactics were, what style of play we were trying to achieve why the approach promised, passing/pressing game never materialised. Why was Hewitt played in midfield, why were Cook and Whitehouse played as our two widest players on Saturday meaning we had no width, why was Hanson played down the middle with no one within 15 yards of him, why is our midfield outplayed in every game?

Like many I welcomed Jolley’s appointment and, whilst it appeared we may be going down a longer ball route, thought at the start of this season that he had worked out a way of achieving some success in L2. That lasted around six weeks and our home performances have got progressively worse match by match and like Hurst he appeared to put too much emphasis on the opposition rather than get us into a team that our opponents should worry about.

Add in a few iffy signings, contract extension for Cardwell and without the rumours there are several reasons supporting this decision.

I would have been willing to accept the fact that he was learning his trade if there was some evidence that he was actually learning but he seemed to be going in the opposite direction. Only sadness is the apparent willingness to play youth but in reality that has only really applied to Clifton last season and Pollock this and for whatever reason Clifton’s form has disappeared. Wright & Rose have to date had cameo roles and there was no evidence that either was on the verge of becoming a regular first choice selection.

Maybe the rolls Royce was one of his former City colleagues coming to pick him up!!

In closing all the best to MJ for the future, I hope that this will have helped your football education and you get another role in the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 277
Son of Cod
November 15, 2019, 2:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Ipswin

I would have thought giving him a chance as a total unknown no mark to manage in the EFL with no previous experience other than a very short reign at a club in Sweden no one had heard of, might just have deserved a thank you

FENTY IN. In board we trust.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 277
golfer
November 15, 2019, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Could Farage have actually been for an interview and that's the reason he hasn't put himself up for the election  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 277
Mariner Ronnie
November 15, 2019, 2:27pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
This club’s record is about as broken as Ipswin’s.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 277
Heisenberg
November 15, 2019, 2:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Only surprise is the timing but as I am not privy to what goes on behind the scenes not sure if he walked, was pushed or both parties were actually in agreement that change was required.

Given recent threads on the Fishy amazed how many fans are upset by this decision and Tommy’s post is a perfect summary of why change was required. How many of us had a clue what our tactics were, what style of play we were trying to achieve why the approach promised, passing/pressing game never materialised. Why was Hewitt played in midfield, why were Cook and Whitehouse played as our two widest players on Saturday meaning we had no width, why was Hanson played down the middle with no one within 15 yards of him, why is our midfield outplayed in every game?

Like many I welcomed Jolley’s appointment and, whilst it appeared we may be going down a longer ball route, thought at the start of this season that he had worked out a way of achieving some success in L2. That lasted around six weeks and our home performances have got progressively worse match by match and like Hurst he appeared to put too much emphasis on the opposition rather than get us into a team that our opponents should worry about.

Add in a few iffy signings, contract extension for Cardwell and without the rumours there are several reasons supporting this decision.

I would have been willing to accept the fact that he was learning his trade if there was some evidence that he was actually learning but he seemed to be going in the opposite direction. Only sadness is the apparent willingness to play youth but in reality that has only really applied to Clifton last season and Pollock this and for whatever reason Clifton’s form has disappeared. Wright & Rose have to date had cameo roles and there was no evidence that either was on the verge of becoming a regular first choice selection.

Maybe the rolls Royce was one of his former City colleagues coming to pick him up!!

In closing all the best to MJ for the future, I hope that this will have helped your football education and you get another role in the game.

I believe that MJ told Clifton he was not part of his plans as he couldn't rely on him being around due to international call-ups with Wales.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 277
headingly_mariner
November 15, 2019, 2:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Good time to sack a manager. New man will get time to assess the squad and a full window to make changes.

Surprised by the outpouring of support for him on here. He’s never really got us going, is very dull and has spent most of his time blowing smoke up our arses in his interviews. It’s never seemed genuine to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 277
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 15, 2019, 2:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Heisenberg

I believe that MJ told Clifton he was not part of his plans as he couldn't rely on him being around due to international call-ups with Wales.

Not exactly rewarding the lad for international recognition is it, given that approach Hanson is not going to want calling up by Gareth if he misses the Northampton game next Saturday 😄😄

To be fair Harry was not, IMO, playing that well before his call up so not sure if their is any truth in that particular rumour unless HC has confirmed this?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 277
November 15, 2019, 3:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Just makes me wonder whether Macca was really ill or if something had gone on with MJ...
Have the players vocalised their frustrations through Macca?? .. summation I know but I'm convinced there's more to come out rather him being sacked...

I thought exactly this when Macca didn’t play!! He never misses a game!! Something has gone off, that’s for sure!!

I was starting to think he’d lost the dressing room too!!
Reply: 117 - 277
Tommy
November 15, 2019, 3:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from GrimRob

If you want a higher league position then spend more money on players, don't waste it on sacking managers,

Or on a Manager who can get more out of the squad of players than others, and can achieve above expectations.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 277
Heisenberg
November 15, 2019, 3:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not exactly rewarding the lad for international recognition is it, given that approach Hanson is not going to want calling up by Gareth if he misses the Northampton game next Saturday 😄😄

To be fair Harry was not, IMO, playing that well before his call up so not sure if their is any truth in that particular rumour unless HC has confirmed this?

HC did NOT confirm this to me, I've never spoken to him, but the source seemed very reliable indeed.  I can't say it's 100% though, I'll admit that.  I can imagine it being true, though.  I certainly believe it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 277
28 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley sacked

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.