Nelly GTFC
November 19, 2019, 1:54pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,740
Gold Stars: 31
Made national newspapers now, not surprised, it's even made Russia Today lol >> https://www.rt.com/sport/473781-grimsby-michael-jolley-sacked-f-word-58-times/
Quoted from Son of Cod
Can't tell if this is an incredibly great satirical jibe at the club or if you're just a bit deluded.
Just an hypothesis before I/we knew the full circumstances. It does happen at many clubs though. I don't think it's a bad thing for board directors to do, especially when other clubs at our league level are in the same situation of looking for a new manager, time is everything, snooze and you lose.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 277
Tommy
November 19, 2019, 2:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I really don't get the criticism and, in some quarters, strong dislike for Radio Humberside.

How can there be a criticism of RH that they've been negative, when despite a few exceptions, it's been nothing but negative for the last 15 years.

What is there to be positive about when we've either been in relegation battles or in non-league for all but one of those years?

What is there to be positive about when we have defenders in midfield and set up to counter the opposition all the time as opposed to trying to impose our style.

MJ didn't seem to like answering tricky or critical questions anyway (and rarely gave a straight answer), so it seems strange for him to suggest they should've asked him tougher questions in interviews rather than just be critical on their shows.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 277
TownSNAFU5
November 19, 2019, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,879
Gold Stars: 42
It might be a minor point, but If you don’t leave a man (or men) up after conceding a corner, then the ball will come straight back to you every time.

I find it strange that Jolley went out of his way to bar any fan from twitter who might have been slightly critical of football issues.  Even when the comments were very pertinent.

Then after leaving, he thanks individually all the fans who sent him good luck messages. Some fans who were probably barred before.  This all sounds like a fragile ego,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 277
Chrisblor
November 19, 2019, 3:11pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Tommy
I really don't get the criticism and, in some quarters, strong dislike for Radio Humberside.

How can there be a criticism of RH that they've been negative, when despite a few exceptions, it's been nothing but negative for the last 15 years.

What is there to be positive about when we've either been in relegation battles or in non-league for all but one of those years?

What is there to be positive about when we have defenders in midfield and set up to counter the opposition all the time as opposed to trying to impose our style.

MJ didn't seem to like answering tricky or critical questions anyway (and rarely gave a straight answer), so it seems strange for him to suggest they should've asked him tougher questions in interviews rather than just be critical on their shows.

There's some people (including Fenty and clearly Jolley) who seem to think Radio Humberside's role is to act as an uncritical cheerleader for the club, rather than impartial reporters. If they're concerned about how they're covered on Radio Humberside they maybe they ought to contact Ofcom (who'd throw their complain in the bin), or possibly maybe exercise a bit of self-criticism over their own track record?

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 277
Malta_Mariner_90
November 19, 2019, 3:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Chrisblor

There's some people (including Fenty and clearly Jolley) who seem to think Radio Humberside's role is to act as an uncritical cheerleader for the club, rather than impartial reporters. If they're concerned about how they're covered on Radio Humberside they maybe they ought to contact Ofcom (who'd throw their complain in the bin), or possibly maybe exercise a bit of self-criticism over their own track record?

In Fenty's interview (part 2 I think) he could not resisting telling us we have been to a National stadium no less than 6 times in his tenure (including Cardiff I guess).

Conveniently forgetting all 6 of those occasions were only made possible thanks to our decline from the 2nd tier under his tenure. And that 4 of those occasions were only possible thanks us being a non league club....I do not think any self-criticism is likely anytime soon.

In fact the way it came across I am now not sure if it was Fenty or Podge who bobbled that spot kick over the line against Braintree.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 274 - 277
Tommy
November 19, 2019, 3:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Chrisblor

....and presuming MJ was ambitious and wanted to manage as high as he could in the game, he'd get a lot more scrutiny and criticism if he was managing in the higher leagues and for bigger clubs.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 275 - 277
arryarryarry
November 19, 2019, 3:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Tommy

I've said exactly the same.
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 277
Rik e B
November 19, 2019, 9:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916

Quoted Text
In fact the way it came across I am now not sure if it was Fenty or Podge who bobbled that spot kick over the line against Braintree.  

Well he's talking about finally hanging his boots up so you may be onto something there!

But yeah it's cringe worthy how he constantly tries to big up his tenure... Ego-maniac springs to mind. Being a bit more humble might win people over a little more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 277 - 277
28 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley sacked

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.