Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › VAR & Martin Atkinson
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 378 Guests

VAR & Martin Atkinson

This thread currently has 14,787 views. Print
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
October 20, 2019, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
I see our ref from the Palace game is at the centre of a couple of VAR decisions in the Man U - Liverpool game

If it stays as it is I'm sure Klopp will be having something to say
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
MuddyWaters
October 20, 2019, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Was the foul a clear and obvious error? Origi went down too easily. Was the handball a handball? Clearly. Both looked fair enough.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 120
Northbank Mariner
October 20, 2019, 5:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,389
Gold Stars: 170
Yeah, but c'mon....those are some teeth he has, now we know what happened to Shergar...🤔🤔..
On a serious note, for once VAR got it right, if you look at the Origi incident, the ball had got away from him through a poor touch and he wouldn't have got to the ball before lindelof tapped his calf...handball could be classed as unlucky but in the eyes of the law it was handball...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 120
Gaffer58
October 20, 2019, 5:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
If Liverpool loose this game then the friendly joking Klopp will go into melt down and we will see him in his true colours. Sky will also be gutted as they are desperate for Liverpool to win the league so they can do a program all about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 120
FishOutOfWater
October 20, 2019, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Was the foul a clear and obvious error? Origi went down too easily. Was the handball a handball? Clearly. Both looked fair enough.

I'm pretty sure that had Paul Marsden been in charge, the ref who gave Mansfield all of their free kicks when Town players came anywhere close to their personal space never mind making contact with them, Liverpool would have had a free kick

To me VAR is still very subjective..... at times the officials will see what they want to see but I take your point that Origi did go down too easily but it was after he'd been fouled so I'd say Atkinson and/or the VAR official should have awarded a free kick to Liverpool
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 120
MuddyWaters
October 20, 2019, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I'm pretty sure that had Paul Marsden been in charge, the ref who gave Mansfield all of their free kicks when Town players came anywhere close to their personal space never mind making contact with them, Liverpool would have had a free kick

To me VAR is still very subjective..... at times the officials will see what they want to see but I take your point that Origi did go down too easily but it was after he'd been fouled so I'd say Atkinson and/or the VAR official should have awarded a free kick to Liverpool

Watching it back, Origi was on his way down before Lindelof touched him.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 120
jimgtfc
October 20, 2019, 6:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,011
Gold Stars: 40
It’s the down right stubbornness of the VAR team not to overrule the referee, or allow him to review the footage pitch side that irks me. I hate VAR, it’s showed that it’s far from practical in football with the amount of controversy around it already, there’s too many grey areas in the rules and the only black and white issue is goal line technology which has been 100% perfect since it’s inception. They keep saying it needs time to bed in and everyone to adjust, absolute rubbish. There will still be the same issues in years to come. VAR isn’t suitable in football and needs disbanding as soon as possible in my opinion.

Rant over 😅

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 120
Gaffer58
October 20, 2019, 7:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
The day we get into the premiership ( believe, it will happen one day) or VAR is brought in at our level is the day I stop going to BP, your team scores a goal and instead of celebrating you have to wait to see if there was an incident in the previous 10 minutes. So 5 minutes after the "goal" you get to celebrate or cuss dependant on the verdict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 120
topuphere666
October 20, 2019, 7:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Both decisions were correct IMO. Origi went down with what looked the most faintest of touches and the handball was pretty clear.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 120
mimma
October 20, 2019, 7:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
It was the faintest of touches with his arm and no way was it deliberate. They've changed the rule now to acomodate the incompetence of VAR. To me handball has to deliberate and not accidentally brushing an arm. It did not change the flight of the ball and made no difference.

They will will be following cricket next and introduce hotspot to spot the faintest of touches.

Where will all it end?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 120
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › VAR & Martin Atkinson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.