MarinerDevil
October 20, 2019, 7:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,739
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from jimgtfc
It’s the down right stubbornness of the VAR team not to overrule the referee, or allow him to review the footage pitch side that irks me. I hate VAR, it’s showed that it’s far from practical in football with the amount of controversy around it already, there’s too many grey areas in the rules and the only black and white issue is goal line technology which has been 100% perfect since it’s inception. They keep saying it needs time to bed in and everyone to adjust, absolute rubbish. There will still be the same issues in years to come. VAR isn’t suitable in football and needs disbanding as soon as possible in my opinion.

Rant over 😅

You hate VAR but want its use to be more wide-ranging?  It's correct in my view for areas of the rules that are left to the referee's discretion, such as how much contact constitutes 'tripping', VAR should not overrule the on-field officials' decision.  It's there for howlers and offsides, usually resulting in a fairer outcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 120
RichMariner
October 21, 2019, 11:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I'm against VAR.

I believe technology should be used to bring clarity on black and white issues. There's no arguing.

Thing is, we now have technology that is being interpreted by humans, who are also considering the human interpretation that the ref gives on the field. It's always going to be a massive grey area.

Technology has no heart — it can't afford to. It needs to be absolutely clinical. And VAR, when used for free kicks and penalty decisions, isn't going to solve that. Not with a human interpreting the footage.

Human errors will still occur in using the technology.

I'm happy with goal-line technology, and I'd be happy if VAR can decide once and for all what the offside rule should be (and stick to it). That's about it for me. I could maybe accept its intervention for red card offences but, even then, it's down to interpretation.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 120
FishOutOfWater
October 21, 2019, 12:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm against VAR.

I believe technology should be used to bring clarity on black and white issues. There's no arguing.

Thing is, we now have technology that is being interpreted by humans, who are also considering the human interpretation that the ref gives on the field. It's always going to be a massive grey area.

Technology has no heart — it can't afford to. It needs to be absolutely clinical. And VAR, when used for free kicks and penalty decisions, isn't going to solve that. Not with a human interpreting the footage.

Human errors will still occur in using the technology.

I'm happy with goal-line technology, and I'd be happy if VAR can decide once and for all what the offside rule should be (and stick to it). That's about it for me. I could maybe accept its intervention for red card offences but, even then, it's down to interpretation.

And there's the rub RichMariner

It's all about interpretation.... opinions and judgements in other words where one individual sees something and arrives at a decision and another sees the same incident and arrives at another decision

The other thing that I worry about is the fact that of all the games played across the weekend, there are just 10 represented by this technology.

I know the Premier League is the supposed flagship of English football and there are big bucks at stake but if there are laws of the game that are applied by referees across the board, but only in the PL is there an "instant" review it makes a bit of a mockery of the "level playing field" that all other games have to live with

We've gone about 150 years just accepting what a referee saw ( or missed ) and we've lived with it.... now they're arguing about centimetres and the slightest of touches.

I can't say that VAR has improved the game really.... all it's done is bring a different kind of argument in to the arena
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 120
jimgtfc
October 21, 2019, 2:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from MarinerDevil

You hate VAR but want its use to be more wide-ranging?  It's correct in my view for areas of the rules that are left to the referee's discretion, such as how much contact constitutes 'tripping', VAR should not overrule the on-field officials' decision.  It's there for howlers and offsides, usually resulting in a fairer outcome.

It’s certainly an interesting argument. I’d like it taking out of the game altogether but that’s not going to happen so for me if they are insistent on it then they need to utilise it. Currently it’s only offsides and handballs that VAR is being used for, they might as well stop referring to it for potential fouls and penalties because they won’t overrule the on pitch official. Look at Watford and Duelofeu on Saturday, blatant penalty but the referee leaves it for VAR who just go with the on field decision anyway, it’s ridiculous. So much of football is down to opinion and if one person thinks it’s a foul another one might not. For what it’s worth I think Origi is fouled in the build up yesterday, he doesn’t see the foul coming from behind and goes down, but that’s what I mean, fouls are subjective to opinion.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 120
Grantham_Mariner
October 21, 2019, 2:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
I think VAR would work better if only the referee could change his decision, but only after looking at the screen first. If the referee needs a second opinion it should be from the fourth official only. So you do not need a 'top' referee in the VAR center.

The referee on the pitch needs to be in complete control!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 120
Bigdog
October 21, 2019, 3:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Like cricket.. two VARs per team per match and asked for by the manager to the 4th official within 5 seconds of the incident. Lose one VAR for the manager getting it wrong, keep it if he's right. That is.. if we have to have VAR..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 120
supertown
October 21, 2019, 11:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,440
Gold Stars: 53
VAR is shite and is the end of football as we know it . It has certainly not worked, we actually have more controversy not less
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 120
Son of Cod
October 21, 2019, 11:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Clanger dropped in the Sheff Utd v Arsenal match by the VAR team. Blatant shirt pull in the Sheff Utd box in the 6th minute. Sky didn't even pick up on it until Emery pointed it out in his post match interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 120
promotion plaice
October 23, 2019, 6:38pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

VAR rules out an Ajax goal for off-side against Chelsea, tightest of margins but off-side is off-side, well done VAR.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 120
Rik e B
October 25, 2019, 7:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
The offsides have always been right, cruel when it's so tight but it's the same for everyone.

Some balls ups elsewhere though, the bar so high as to be unreachable with regards to 'clear and obvious error' it seems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR & Martin Atkinson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.