13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
supertown
November 4, 2019, 5:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,461
Gold Stars: 53
Just turn it off, 2 weeks ago liverpool played Arsenal in the carabao cup. 5-5 had everything except VAR. there was an offside goal and good penalty shouts but without VAR they just got on with it .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 120
KingstonMariner
November 4, 2019, 5:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
If everyone who doesn’t like VAR boycotted any game with VAR they’d get rid of it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 120
LH
November 4, 2019, 6:53pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,555
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from KingstonMariner
If everyone who doesn’t like VAR boycotted any game with VAR they’d get rid of it.

Not if the TV companies around the world are still willing to pay for the rights they wouldn’t.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 120
moosey_club
November 4, 2019, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,277
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Maringer
Not wanting to particularly put on a tinfoil hat here, but could it be possible that the referees are deliberately refusing to check the monitors at the ground for contentious offside/penalty decisions in an attempt to get the system booted out or perhaps changed?

From the brief bits of MOTD I've seen, the TV commentators seem to be berating them for never looking at the monitors in these cases so I do wonder if some of them have agreed amongst themselves that this should be the way to proceed?

Can't say I would blame them if this is the case as it's a shockingly bad implementation of the technology as it stands. As I've said in the past, there should be an "Umpire's Call" situation for decisions which aren't especially obviously incorrect, especially when it comes to offsides.

if they dont check the monitors themselves they have a lifeline of being able to say "in the moment i saw this and therefore did that" when VAR overrules they can hide behind "nothing to do with me, not my decision" .  
If they look at monitors they will have to make a decision which could be the opposite of what they were adamant had happened and make themselves look inadequate. Let the invisible man take the blame, easier for them.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 4, 2019, 8:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from moosey_club

if they dont check the monitors themselves they have a lifeline of being able to say "in the moment i saw this and therefore did that" when VAR overrules they can hide behind "nothing to do with me, not my decision" .  
If they look at monitors they will have to make a decision which could be the opposite of what they were adamant had happened and make themselves look inadequate. Let the invisible man take the blame, easier for them.

It is not very fair to referees though is it? Imagine any other line of work were all your subjective decisions, made in often hostile environments at an incredibly fast moving pace, was subject to immediate scrutiny.

I don't know why the refs association don't wash their hands of the whole thing and refuse to co-operate.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 120
KingstonMariner
November 4, 2019, 8:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Quoted from LH

Not if the TV companies around the world are still willing to pay for the rights they wouldn’t.

If people don’t watch it they won’t.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 120
promotion plaice
November 5, 2019, 7:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200

Son's red card has been overturned, can't say I'm not surprised, right decision for me.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 120
Abdul19
November 9, 2019, 4:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Sheff Utd just had a goal disallowed for a lad being offside by 0.27mm about 37 minutes before the ball went in. At least the decision only took about an hour to make though.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 120
Gaffer58
November 9, 2019, 5:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
I said prior to the season starting that although VAR may be correct, eventually,it will result in fewer goals being scored or allowed.  VAR is disallowing goals that last season would have been allowed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 120
Stadium
November 9, 2019, 5:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Abdul19
Sheff Utd just had a goal disallowed for a lad being offside by 0.27mm about 37 minutes before the ball went in. At least the decision only took about an hour to make though.

Interesting that it was in different phase of play too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EI8cWz1WoAM2itu?format=jpg&name=small

Anyway another totally correct decision & well done VAR.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR & Martin Atkinson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.