13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
October 20, 2019, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
I see our ref from the Palace game is at the centre of a couple of VAR decisions in the Man U - Liverpool game

If it stays as it is I'm sure Klopp will be having something to say
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
MuddyWaters
October 20, 2019, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Was the foul a clear and obvious error? Origi went down too easily. Was the handball a handball? Clearly. Both looked fair enough.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 120
Northbank Mariner
October 20, 2019, 5:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,440
Gold Stars: 171
Yeah, but c'mon....those are some teeth he has, now we know what happened to Shergar...🤔🤔..
On a serious note, for once VAR got it right, if you look at the Origi incident, the ball had got away from him through a poor touch and he wouldn't have got to the ball before lindelof tapped his calf...handball could be classed as unlucky but in the eyes of the law it was handball...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 120
Gaffer58
October 20, 2019, 5:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,094
Gold Stars: 31
If Liverpool loose this game then the friendly joking Klopp will go into melt down and we will see him in his true colours. Sky will also be gutted as they are desperate for Liverpool to win the league so they can do a program all about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 120
FishOutOfWater
October 20, 2019, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Was the foul a clear and obvious error? Origi went down too easily. Was the handball a handball? Clearly. Both looked fair enough.

I'm pretty sure that had Paul Marsden been in charge, the ref who gave Mansfield all of their free kicks when Town players came anywhere close to their personal space never mind making contact with them, Liverpool would have had a free kick

To me VAR is still very subjective..... at times the officials will see what they want to see but I take your point that Origi did go down too easily but it was after he'd been fouled so I'd say Atkinson and/or the VAR official should have awarded a free kick to Liverpool
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 120
MuddyWaters
October 20, 2019, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I'm pretty sure that had Paul Marsden been in charge, the ref who gave Mansfield all of their free kicks when Town players came anywhere close to their personal space never mind making contact with them, Liverpool would have had a free kick

To me VAR is still very subjective..... at times the officials will see what they want to see but I take your point that Origi did go down too easily but it was after he'd been fouled so I'd say Atkinson and/or the VAR official should have awarded a free kick to Liverpool

Watching it back, Origi was on his way down before Lindelof touched him.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 120
jimgtfc
October 20, 2019, 6:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,073
Gold Stars: 44
It’s the down right stubbornness of the VAR team not to overrule the referee, or allow him to review the footage pitch side that irks me. I hate VAR, it’s showed that it’s far from practical in football with the amount of controversy around it already, there’s too many grey areas in the rules and the only black and white issue is goal line technology which has been 100% perfect since it’s inception. They keep saying it needs time to bed in and everyone to adjust, absolute rubbish. There will still be the same issues in years to come. VAR isn’t suitable in football and needs disbanding as soon as possible in my opinion.

Rant over 😅

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 120
Gaffer58
October 20, 2019, 7:19pm
Brandy Drinker
The day we get into the premiership ( believe, it will happen one day) or VAR is brought in at our level is the day I stop going to BP, your team scores a goal and instead of celebrating you have to wait to see if there was an incident in the previous 10 minutes. So 5 minutes after the "goal" you get to celebrate or cuss dependant on the verdict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 120
topuphere666
October 20, 2019, 7:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Both decisions were correct IMO. Origi went down with what looked the most faintest of touches and the handball was pretty clear.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 120
mimma
October 20, 2019, 7:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
It was the faintest of touches with his arm and no way was it deliberate. They've changed the rule now to acomodate the incompetence of VAR. To me handball has to deliberate and not accidentally brushing an arm. It did not change the flight of the ball and made no difference.

They will will be following cricket next and introduce hotspot to spot the faintest of touches.

Where will all it end?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 120
MarinerDevil
October 20, 2019, 7:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from jimgtfc
It’s the down right stubbornness of the VAR team not to overrule the referee, or allow him to review the footage pitch side that irks me. I hate VAR, it’s showed that it’s far from practical in football with the amount of controversy around it already, there’s too many grey areas in the rules and the only black and white issue is goal line technology which has been 100% perfect since it’s inception. They keep saying it needs time to bed in and everyone to adjust, absolute rubbish. There will still be the same issues in years to come. VAR isn’t suitable in football and needs disbanding as soon as possible in my opinion.

Rant over 😅

You hate VAR but want its use to be more wide-ranging?  It's correct in my view for areas of the rules that are left to the referee's discretion, such as how much contact constitutes 'tripping', VAR should not overrule the on-field officials' decision.  It's there for howlers and offsides, usually resulting in a fairer outcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 120
RichMariner
October 21, 2019, 11:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I'm against VAR.

I believe technology should be used to bring clarity on black and white issues. There's no arguing.

Thing is, we now have technology that is being interpreted by humans, who are also considering the human interpretation that the ref gives on the field. It's always going to be a massive grey area.

Technology has no heart — it can't afford to. It needs to be absolutely clinical. And VAR, when used for free kicks and penalty decisions, isn't going to solve that. Not with a human interpreting the footage.

Human errors will still occur in using the technology.

I'm happy with goal-line technology, and I'd be happy if VAR can decide once and for all what the offside rule should be (and stick to it). That's about it for me. I could maybe accept its intervention for red card offences but, even then, it's down to interpretation.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 120
FishOutOfWater
October 21, 2019, 12:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm against VAR.

I believe technology should be used to bring clarity on black and white issues. There's no arguing.

Thing is, we now have technology that is being interpreted by humans, who are also considering the human interpretation that the ref gives on the field. It's always going to be a massive grey area.

Technology has no heart — it can't afford to. It needs to be absolutely clinical. And VAR, when used for free kicks and penalty decisions, isn't going to solve that. Not with a human interpreting the footage.

Human errors will still occur in using the technology.

I'm happy with goal-line technology, and I'd be happy if VAR can decide once and for all what the offside rule should be (and stick to it). That's about it for me. I could maybe accept its intervention for red card offences but, even then, it's down to interpretation.

And there's the rub RichMariner

It's all about interpretation.... opinions and judgements in other words where one individual sees something and arrives at a decision and another sees the same incident and arrives at another decision

The other thing that I worry about is the fact that of all the games played across the weekend, there are just 10 represented by this technology.

I know the Premier League is the supposed flagship of English football and there are big bucks at stake but if there are laws of the game that are applied by referees across the board, but only in the PL is there an "instant" review it makes a bit of a mockery of the "level playing field" that all other games have to live with

We've gone about 150 years just accepting what a referee saw ( or missed ) and we've lived with it.... now they're arguing about centimetres and the slightest of touches.

I can't say that VAR has improved the game really.... all it's done is bring a different kind of argument in to the arena
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 120
jimgtfc
October 21, 2019, 2:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,073
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from MarinerDevil

You hate VAR but want its use to be more wide-ranging?  It's correct in my view for areas of the rules that are left to the referee's discretion, such as how much contact constitutes 'tripping', VAR should not overrule the on-field officials' decision.  It's there for howlers and offsides, usually resulting in a fairer outcome.

It’s certainly an interesting argument. I’d like it taking out of the game altogether but that’s not going to happen so for me if they are insistent on it then they need to utilise it. Currently it’s only offsides and handballs that VAR is being used for, they might as well stop referring to it for potential fouls and penalties because they won’t overrule the on pitch official. Look at Watford and Duelofeu on Saturday, blatant penalty but the referee leaves it for VAR who just go with the on field decision anyway, it’s ridiculous. So much of football is down to opinion and if one person thinks it’s a foul another one might not. For what it’s worth I think Origi is fouled in the build up yesterday, he doesn’t see the foul coming from behind and goes down, but that’s what I mean, fouls are subjective to opinion.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 120
Grantham_Mariner
October 21, 2019, 2:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,170
Gold Stars: 50
I think VAR would work better if only the referee could change his decision, but only after looking at the screen first. If the referee needs a second opinion it should be from the fourth official only. So you do not need a 'top' referee in the VAR center.

The referee on the pitch needs to be in complete control!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 120
Bigdog
October 21, 2019, 3:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Like cricket.. two VARs per team per match and asked for by the manager to the 4th official within 5 seconds of the incident. Lose one VAR for the manager getting it wrong, keep it if he's right. That is.. if we have to have VAR..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 120
supertown
October 21, 2019, 11:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,438
Gold Stars: 53
VAR is shite and is the end of football as we know it . It has certainly not worked, we actually have more controversy not less
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 120
Son of Cod
October 21, 2019, 11:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,327
Gold Stars: 196
Clanger dropped in the Sheff Utd v Arsenal match by the VAR team. Blatant shirt pull in the Sheff Utd box in the 6th minute. Sky didn't even pick up on it until Emery pointed it out in his post match interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 120
promotion plaice
October 23, 2019, 6:38pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

VAR rules out an Ajax goal for off-side against Chelsea, tightest of margins but off-side is off-side, well done VAR.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 120
Rik e B
October 25, 2019, 7:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
The offsides have always been right, cruel when it's so tight but it's the same for everyone.

Some balls ups elsewhere though, the bar so high as to be unreachable with regards to 'clear and obvious error' it seems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 120
October 25, 2019, 8:59am
Guest User
Quoted from Bigdog
Like cricket.. two VARs per team per match and asked for by the manager to the 4th official within 5 seconds of the incident. Lose one VAR for the manager getting it wrong, keep it if he's right. That is.. if we have to have VAR..

I like this and refs call maybe
Reply: 20 - 120
Vance Warner
October 25, 2019, 9:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
Are they getting offsides right? I’ve yet to hear how they calculate the exact moment the ball leaves someone’s foot.

As for the argument about the amount of money at the top level I don’t buy it. The money is only there because the product is so exciting. VAR is devaluing the product.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 120
FishOutOfWater
October 25, 2019, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner
Are they getting offsides right? I’ve yet to hear how they calculate the exact moment the ball leaves someone’s foot.

As for the argument about the amount of money at the top level I don’t buy it. The money is only there because the product is so exciting. VAR is devaluing the product.

Now where have I heard that turn of phrase before......
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
October 26, 2019, 10:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,644
Gold Stars: 234
Jesus. Just seen the VAR penalty for Brighton v Everton.

Defender accidentally steps on attackers foot as they both look at the ball dropping out of the sky. Penalty given, which changes the game completely and turns an Everton win into a defeat.  

Have you ever seen anything quite so ludicrous?

I cannot understand why they are persisting with such a flawed system which is making the game a laughing stock.  
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 120
GYinScuntland
October 26, 2019, 11:49pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Hamburg v Stuttgart today and VAR.
The best part of 60,000 punching the air, cheering, giving it the big 'un to the away fans.
Screen pops up with `Video assist` and it's quiet as a church for two or three minutes.
Then the best part of 60,000 punching the air, cheering and giving it the big 'un to the away fans.
Completely sucks the passion away, it can fcuk right off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 120
rancido
October 27, 2019, 12:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from jimgtfc

Rant over 😅

I agree with some of the decisions made and not with others. Certain handball and penalty situations are better reviewed if the ref/linesman is unsighted. I know I would be extremely angry if town lost a match, especially a crucial promotion/relegation/cup-game due to a handballed goal that the ref/lino never saw but could be picked up by VAR.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 120
rancido
October 27, 2019, 12:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Jesus. Just seen the VAR penalty for Brighton v Everton.

Defender accidentally steps on attackers foot as they both look at the ball dropping out of the sky. Penalty given, which changes the game completely and turns an Everton win into a defeat.

Have you ever seen anything quite so ludicrous?

I cannot understand why they are persisting with such a flawed system which is making the game a laughing stock.  

Would you feel the same way if an accidental step by a defender deprived a town forward of scoring in the penalty area ? The word " accidental "does not appear in the Laws/Rules of the game and never has. Even if a defender never meant to trip a forward in the penalty area, if such a situation arises then it is a penalty. A foul is a foul regardless of whether it was intended or not.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
October 27, 2019, 12:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Would you feel the same way if an accidental step by a defender deprived a town forward of scoring in the penalty area ? The word " accidental "does not appear in the Laws/Rules of the game and never has. Even if a defender never meant to trip a forward in the penalty area, if such a situation arises then it is a penalty. A foul is a foul regardless of whether it was intended or not.

I bow to your rather nauseating sense of being right in every situation.

If you think yesterdays incident was deserving of a penalty then fair enough, but I don't.

It might be better if you gave my posts a wide berth in future.  
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 120
grimsby pete
October 27, 2019, 12:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from rancido

Agree a foul is a foul whatever the intent if it was deliberate then its a booking or a sending off if dangerous.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 120
Civvy at last
October 27, 2019, 1:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131

If you think yesterdays incident was deserving of a penalty then fair enough, but I don't

Unfortunately it’s not wether   a penalty is deserved. It’s wether it’s the law of the game.  I hate the exaggeration that goes on as much as anyone, but the laws have to be applied. Maybe the laws should be looked at (but we all know that the spineless FA won’t do that)  !!

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 120
Abdul19
October 27, 2019, 2:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215
I don't think the laws are anything to do with the FA

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 120
FishOutOfWater
October 27, 2019, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just seen this VAR penalty award.... bizarre

https://twitter.com/nizer01/status/1188361695795863557?s=21
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 120
Madeleymariner
October 27, 2019, 3:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Just seen this VAR penalty award.... bizarre

https://twitter.com/nizer01/status/1188361695795863557?s=21

Utterly ridiculous the worlds gone mad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 120
Stadium
October 27, 2019, 5:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Utterly ridiculous the worlds gone mad

Bizarre indeed but once again its within the laws of the game.
Players probably need to get up to speed because VAR is here to stay..........

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 120
moosey_club
October 27, 2019, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,193
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Stadium

Bizarre indeed but once again its within the laws of the game.
Players probably need to get up to speed because VAR is here to stay..........

Excatly, perfectly good decision in line with the rules, a direct free kick or penalty kick if any official of the club interferes with play.

Players and club officials need to be educated on the game that they earn their living at.  No doubt about it that sub wouldnt have known that was the outcome of what he did otherwise he wouldnt have touched it until it had clearly gone out of play.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 120
rancido
October 29, 2019, 8:46am

Vodka Drinker

I bow to your rather nauseating sense of being right in every situation.

If you think yesterdays incident was deserving of a penalty then fair enough, but I don't.

It might be better if you gave my posts a wide berth in future.  

Or alternatively, if you don't like someone countering your posts or expressing a different point of view, then maybe you should decline from posting in the first case. This, after all, is a message board where fans post their views.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
October 29, 2019, 11:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Or alternatively, if you don't like someone countering your posts or expressing a different point of view, then maybe you should decline from posting in the first case. This, after all, is a message board where fans post their views.

I will continue to post but will ignore you which is what I should have done in the first place.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 120
rancido
October 29, 2019, 2:09pm

Vodka Drinker

I will continue to post but will ignore you which is what I should have done in the first place.

Well that is one way to stifle debate. It's a bit like kids in the primary schoolyard "I don't like what you say so I shan't talk to you anymore".

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 2, 2019, 10:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Have you seen the Liverpool goal disallowed by VAR against Villa?

If anybody can defend VAR after seeing that I would be surprised.

Why are they so determined to disallow perfectly good goals, and give undeserved ones? Why????
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 120
MuddyWaters
November 2, 2019, 10:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Thankfuck VAR isn’t in League 2. Utterly shambolic that two refs are reffing one game.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 3, 2019, 9:00am
Whiskey Drinker

Why are they so determined to disallow perfectly good goals, and give undeserved ones? Why????

** UPDATE **

Everything is now fine. The Premier League has confirmed this morning that the Liverpool players armpit* was offside, which obviously explains everything and gives great comfort to those of us that thought the game was going to the dogs.

*This is not a joke nor satire.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 120
Poojah
November 3, 2019, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,413
Gold Stars: 1,497

We need to go back to why the offside rule exists in the first place. I once played in a game where the officials failed to turn up and so we played without lino’s or the offside rule. It was horrible; the shape of the game is completely ruined as attackers can effectively ‘goal hang’ and defenders have to drop deep to compensate. Everything gets stretched and frankly it barely resembles football as we know it anymore.

It’s a fundamental rule, but not one that needs officiating to the millimetre. The concept of VAR is fine but it needs to go back to its original mission statement - correcting “clear and obvious errors”. By all means sort out ghost goals, hands of God and general refereeing clangers, but if a decision requires fancy lines and on screen graphics to establish a decision then fundamentally it’s not clear or obvious and should be left alone.

VAR is something that the match going fan should experience two or three times a season, not two or three times a game.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 120
Davec
November 3, 2019, 10:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Footage has appeared online which seems to show VAR initially showing Firminho as onside yesterday until Martin Atkinson adjusted the lines to make him offside. Surely this is balant case of cheating by Atkinson and a sackable offence? Regardless who is on the receiving end of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 120
supertown
November 3, 2019, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
We have no technology for the exact release of the ball (thankfully) so it’s never going to be perfect . Thing is the linesman flagged it off so if VAR hadn’t even got involved it wouldn’t have stood
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 3, 2019, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from supertown
We have no technology for the exact release of the ball (thankfully) so it’s never going to be perfect . Thing is the linesman flagged it off so if VAR hadn’t even got involved it wouldn’t have stood

That makes it even worse.

VAR was used to check a marginal offside decision and it rules in favour of the defender, when it is blindingly obvious to every man and his dog he was onside.

Klopp is right - these decisions can cost jobs, championships and relegation issues.

Who is looking at the TV screens anyway? How are they vetted for neutrality? A referee has to account for his decisions, these faceless people are handing out wrong decisions left right and centre without any comeback.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 120
LH
November 3, 2019, 1:07pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
They’re hardly faceless when they are PGMOL listed officials who will officiate a game on the other day of the weekend and at least once at every ground in the Premier League in a season. They name them in the officials appointments too.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 120
Ipswin
November 3, 2019, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from LH
They’re hardly faceless when they are PGMOL listed officials who will officiate a game on the other day of the weekend and at least once at every ground in the Premier League in a season. They name them in the officials appointments too.

What are 'PGMOL' officials for felicitations sake?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 120
Ipswin
November 3, 2019, 2:29pm
Vodka Drinker
On the subject of penalties I think commentators make it worse with their constant references to 'he WON a penalty'

Its not something you 'win' unless you are deliberately setting out to a) be fouled or b) deceive the referee by diving

Drives me mad!

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 3, 2019, 3:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from LH

Oh I have no doubt they are highly qualified - isn't everyone these days? It is just in the common sense department they fail.

The match referee gets told in no uncertain manner from the crowd about his decisions; these faceless but highly qualified people don't.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 120
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 3, 2019, 3:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

Oh I have no doubt they are highly qualified - isn't everyone these days? It is just in the common sense department they fail.

The match referee gets told in no uncertain manner from the crowd about his decisions; these faceless but highly qualified people don't.

Which of course is why refs want VAR just as much as the faceless ones.

The only fair way to deal with this problem is not to abandon VAR but to abandon referees and lines persons. Have the whole game refereed from a box up on high with a very loud hooter to stop and start play and a very loud speaker system to notify decisions to the crowd with a repeat on the big screen. It won't be football, but there again ....... is the PL football anyway?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 3, 2019, 3:58pm
Whiskey Drinker

Which of course is why refs want VAR just as much as the faceless ones.

The only fair way to deal with this problem is not to abandon VAR but to abandon referees and lines persons. Have the whole game refereed from a box up on high with a very loud hooter to stop and start play and a very loud speaker system to notify decisions to the crowd with a repeat on the big screen. It won't be football, but there again ....... is the PL football anyway?

Well if you take things to its logical conclusion that is what you come up with. Nightmare scenario.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 120
Abdul19
November 3, 2019, 6:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
58 minutes to check a penalty at Everton and they still got the decision wrong

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 120
rancido
November 3, 2019, 6:17pm

Vodka Drinker

Well if you take things to its logical conclusion that is what you come up with. Nightmare scenario.

But you don't agree with VAR anyway, do you?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 120
LH
November 3, 2019, 6:17pm

Why has Son been sent off there? It was Aurier with the offending challenge wasn’t it? Don’t want to rewind and see it again to confirm. 🤢
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 120
Stadium
November 3, 2019, 6:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from LH
Why has Son been sent off there? It was Aurier with the offending challenge wasn’t it? Don’t want to rewind and see it again to confirm. 🤢

Baffling.
A clear yellow card offence but changed to a red card after the seriousness of the injury??
VAR should have dealt with that because that's its purpose.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 120
Northbank Mariner
November 3, 2019, 6:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,440
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from LH

It was Sons challenge that sent Gomes off balance, next to lloris's arm break that's 2 injuries that have made me feel physically sick...
Hope Gomes cons back from that, think it's pretty much such the same injury Seamus Coleman and Luke Shaw suffered...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 120
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 3, 2019, 6:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

But you don't agree with VAR anyway, do you?

I don't either. An unnecessary gimmick that causes more problems than it solves. I'm all for technological assistance but this is a technological handicap that cannot cope with the infinite number of variables in human reactions. Just because something is technologically possible does not automatically make it either good or desirable.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 120
LH
November 3, 2019, 6:56pm

Horrible injury and it was awful to see kids and women crying in the stand but sending someone off balance is not a red card offence. Just seen it again is a yellow for me. The ref can’t make a ‘endangering an opponent’ decision based on the severity of the injury due to all the variables in condition of the pitch etc. If Aurier doesn’t come in after the Son challenge then Gomes falls on his bottom and Son gets a yellow.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 120
moosey_club
November 3, 2019, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
Horrible injury and it was awful to see kids and women crying in the stand but sending someone off balance is not a red card offence. Just seen it again is a yellow for me. The ref can’t make a ‘endangering an opponent’ decision based on the severity of the injury due to all the variables in condition of the pitch etc. If Aurier doesn’t come in after the Son challenge then Gomes falls on his bottom and Son gets a yellow.

Son clearly went after the player and had no intention of playing the ball IMO, that in itself is endangering an opponent.  Isnt it ?

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 120
supertown
November 3, 2019, 7:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Son clearly went after the player and had no intention of playing the ball IMO, that in itself is endangering an opponent.  Isnt it ?

Rubbish, booking at worst . He hardly touched him. I rewound it and it looks like a dislocated ankle that was put back in by the time he went off . Hope I’m right , Son can appeal and get it recinded
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 120
promotion plaice
November 3, 2019, 8:04pm

Quoted from supertown

Rubbish, booking at worst . He hardly touched him. I rewound it and it looks like a dislocated ankle that was put back in by the time he went off . Hope I’m right , Son can appeal and get it recinded

Must agree with this.....Son's challenge looked innocuous and I will be surprised if Spurs don't appeal the red card.

Son is an honest player and he looked inconsolable after the challenge but for me there was no intent to harm Gomes.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 120
LH
November 3, 2019, 8:14pm

It does look as if he’s gone out to injure him if you follow the narrative that Sky sort of suggested with the context of a VAR review for an elbow by Gomes on Son a few minutes earlier. Not for me - a clumsy challenge that was about to be punished by a yellow until Atkinson saw the injury.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 120
moosey_club
November 3, 2019, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
It does look as if he’s gone out to injure him if you follow the narrative that Sky sort of suggested with the context of a VAR review for an elbow by Gomes on Son a few minutes earlier. Not for me - a clumsy challenge that was about to be punished by a yellow until Atkinson saw the injury.

Red mist desecended, ran after him and fouled him, never went for the ball, only the player....not saying it was a full bloodied leg breaker type challenge, but if you chase a player with the intent of bringing him down then "endangering the opponent" must be in there to consider ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 120
supertown
November 3, 2019, 9:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Just seen a picture (don’t know how to put it on here) it’s worse than a dislocation but at least it’s sitting the right way now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 120
Rik e B
November 3, 2019, 9:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Watched the game but was out room and missed the actual moment... Only saw Son's challenge on replay and only looked a yellow to me. But from what I can decipher without seeing cringe worthy footage Gomes foot jammed into turf, a freak accident not necessarily brought on by Son.

Seems the ref saw the injury and changed it to red. But like I say, I missed the crucial moment.

Dunno if I want to see it, I'm imagining Alf Inge Haaland  v Roy Keane (but ankle not leg) by the way the player's all traumatised like they got PTSD.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 120
supertown
November 3, 2019, 9:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Nowhere as bad as buusts all those years ago, at least the break/dislocation is actually at a joint
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 120
Hagrid
November 3, 2019, 9:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,344
Gold Stars: 527
Yellow card
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 120
Stadium
November 4, 2019, 3:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Dermot Gallagher:

"Whatever the decision made on the day pales into insignificance for what happened to Gomes. I wish him a speedy recovery. I just hope Martin Atkinson gets the support network he deserves because people will say it wasn't a red card - they may well be right - but if you're in that situation at that time I can fully understand why Atkinson took the action he did. I defy any person refereeing at that level and to be involved in that situation to put their hand up and say 'I'd have done it differently'."

Apparently Son wasn't shown a yellow but a straight red.
Therefore spurs can appeal.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 120
Grantham_Mariner
November 4, 2019, 4:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,170
What we need is a video panel to correct mistakes made by the VAR referee.  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 120
Maringer
November 4, 2019, 5:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,382
Gold Stars: 184
Not wanting to particularly put on a tinfoil hat here, but could it be possible that the referees are deliberately refusing to check the monitors at the ground for contentious offside/penalty decisions in an attempt to get the system booted out or perhaps changed?

From the brief bits of MOTD I've seen, the TV commentators seem to be berating them for never looking at the monitors in these cases so I do wonder if some of them have agreed amongst themselves that this should be the way to proceed?

Can't say I would blame them if this is the case as it's a shockingly bad implementation of the technology as it stands. As I've said in the past, there should be an "Umpire's Call" situation for decisions which aren't especially obviously incorrect, especially when it comes to offsides.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 120
supertown
November 4, 2019, 5:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Just turn it off, 2 weeks ago liverpool played Arsenal in the carabao cup. 5-5 had everything except VAR. there was an offside goal and good penalty shouts but without VAR they just got on with it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 120
KingstonMariner
November 4, 2019, 5:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
If everyone who doesn’t like VAR boycotted any game with VAR they’d get rid of it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 120
LH
November 4, 2019, 6:53pm

Quoted from KingstonMariner
If everyone who doesn’t like VAR boycotted any game with VAR they’d get rid of it.

Not if the TV companies around the world are still willing to pay for the rights they wouldn’t.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 120
moosey_club
November 4, 2019, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Not wanting to particularly put on a tinfoil hat here, but could it be possible that the referees are deliberately refusing to check the monitors at the ground for contentious offside/penalty decisions in an attempt to get the system booted out or perhaps changed?

From the brief bits of MOTD I've seen, the TV commentators seem to be berating them for never looking at the monitors in these cases so I do wonder if some of them have agreed amongst themselves that this should be the way to proceed?

Can't say I would blame them if this is the case as it's a shockingly bad implementation of the technology as it stands. As I've said in the past, there should be an "Umpire's Call" situation for decisions which aren't especially obviously incorrect, especially when it comes to offsides.

if they dont check the monitors themselves they have a lifeline of being able to say "in the moment i saw this and therefore did that" when VAR overrules they can hide behind "nothing to do with me, not my decision" .  
If they look at monitors they will have to make a decision which could be the opposite of what they were adamant had happened and make themselves look inadequate. Let the invisible man take the blame, easier for them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 4, 2019, 8:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

if they dont check the monitors themselves they have a lifeline of being able to say "in the moment i saw this and therefore did that" when VAR overrules they can hide behind "nothing to do with me, not my decision" .  
If they look at monitors they will have to make a decision which could be the opposite of what they were adamant had happened and make themselves look inadequate. Let the invisible man take the blame, easier for them.

It is not very fair to referees though is it? Imagine any other line of work were all your subjective decisions, made in often hostile environments at an incredibly fast moving pace, was subject to immediate scrutiny.

I don't know why the refs association don't wash their hands of the whole thing and refuse to co-operate.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 120
KingstonMariner
November 4, 2019, 8:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from LH

Not if the TV companies around the world are still willing to pay for the rights they wouldn’t.

If people don’t watch it they won’t.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 120
promotion plaice
November 5, 2019, 7:12pm

Son's red card has been overturned, can't say I'm not surprised, right decision for me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 120
Abdul19
November 9, 2019, 4:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Sheff Utd just had a goal disallowed for a lad being offside by 0.27mm about 37 minutes before the ball went in. At least the decision only took about an hour to make though.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 120
Gaffer58
November 9, 2019, 5:32pm
Brandy Drinker
I said prior to the season starting that although VAR may be correct, eventually,it will result in fewer goals being scored or allowed.  VAR is disallowing goals that last season would have been allowed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 120
Stadium
November 9, 2019, 5:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Sheff Utd just had a goal disallowed for a lad being offside by 0.27mm about 37 minutes before the ball went in. At least the decision only took about an hour to make though.

Interesting that it was in different phase of play too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EI8cWz1WoAM2itu?format=jpg&name=small

Anyway another totally correct decision & well done VAR.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2019, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

Apparently it was a shocking decision so lets hope this is the straw that broke the camels back and they suspend VAR for now.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 120
Stadium
November 9, 2019, 5:53pm
Champagne Drinker

Apparently it was a shocking decision so lets hope this is the straw that broke the camels back and they suspend VAR for now.

Really?
Have you looked back to when VAR was introduced in other countries??
Take these articles as an example:

https://www.dw.com/en/var-in-the-premier-league-how-has-it-worked-in-the-bundesliga/a-46333249

https://www.skysports.com/foot.....sed-by-referees-body

And guess what VAR still in place in Germany& Spain and now introduced here.
Its not going away.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2019, 7:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Really?
Have you looked back to when VAR was introduced in other countries??
Take these articles as an example:

https://www.dw.com/en/var-in-the-premier-league-how-has-it-worked-in-the-bundesliga/a-46333249

https://www.skysports.com/foot.....sed-by-referees-body

And guess what VAR still in place in Germany& Spain and now introduced here.
Its not going away.

It was more in hope than expectation. VAR is the pits.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2019, 9:12pm
Whiskey Drinker

I have now seen the decision in question.

Dear God, this is not football as we know it. It is a travesty, a mockery of the great game, ruined by some over qualified prat in front of a TV screen miles away who wants to have a piece of the action.

VAR is ruining the game, taking all the fun out of it and getting things plain wrong, every week. Even if the Sheff Utd's player was a centimetre  offside  (he wasn't) in the build up to the goal, why is it necessary to disallow the goal? In an entertainment business why would you be determined to disallow the very thing that people pay good money to come to see?

The decision today was in the build up the goal; why not go the whole hog and go right back to the kick off and check every decision which led to that passage of play as it is just as relevant? Everything that happens of the pitch as a direct bearing as to what happens next, so you either leave well alone or check every decision all the time if you want everything to be "correct".
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 120
Stadium
November 9, 2019, 9:29pm
Champagne Drinker

I have now seen the decision in question.

Dear God, this is not football as we know it. It is a travesty, a mockery of the great game, ruined by some over qualified prat in front of a TV screen miles away who wants to have a piece of the action.

VAR is ruining the game, taking all the fun out of it and getting things plain wrong, every week. Even if the Sheff Utd's player was a centimetre  offside  (he wasn't) in the build up to the goal, why is it necessary to disallow the goal? In an entertainment business why would you be determined to disallow the very thing that people pay good money to come to see?

The decision today was in the build up the goal; why not go the whole hog and go right back to the kick off and check every decision which led to that passage of play as it is just as relevant? Everything that happens of the pitch as a direct bearing as to what happens next, so you either leave well alone or check every decision all the time if you want everything to be "correct".

Actually he was offside according to the laws of the game:

"The law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent"

Make of that what you may.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2019, 9:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Actually he was offside according to the laws of the game:

"The law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent"

Make of that what you may.

Are you rancido in disguise? He was not offside, in any reasonable interpretation of the law.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 120
moosey_club
November 9, 2019, 10:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Are you rancido in disguise? He was not offside, in any reasonable interpretation of the law.

On or off...any part of the body...big toe, little toe, nose or d!ck, i get your point but the law is black and white on this one and the use of VAR can get a more accurate decision than the human eye in offside situations.
The free kick and foul decisions are still entirely subjective no matter where anyone is sitting so that is what needs sorting most urgently.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 120
Stadium
November 9, 2019, 10:05pm
Champagne Drinker

???

Please explain.

What ever your opinions on VAR the decision was correct.
If you want to "interpret" the law differently that's entirely your choice.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2019, 10:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

On or off...any part of the body...big toe, little toe, nose or d!ck, i get your point but the law is black and white on this one and the use of VAR can get a more accurate decision than the human eye in offside situations.
The free kick and foul decisions are still entirely subjective no matter where anyone is sitting so that is what needs sorting most urgently.

Have you seen it? There is no way that decision is "black and white." Are you honestly saying that a goal should be disallowed because someone in a studio deems that one players big toe is one centimetre in front of a defenders knee cap after a subjective view of when the ball is played,  and where the imaginary line is drawn? It was not even the move that led to the goal.

You think that people who paid hundreds of pounds to get to and attend the match think that is the correct decision?

It took 3 minutes to arrive at the decision after endless deliberation and to may observers they still got it wrong. Why is that good for the game in any way?
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2019, 10:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

???

Please explain.

What ever your opinions on VAR the decision was correct.
If you want to "interpret" the law differently that's entirely your choice.

An in house joke.

Private Message
Reply: 89 - 120
Stadium
November 9, 2019, 10:16pm
Champagne Drinker

An in house joke.

Similar to your "analysis"
We'll wait for the PGMOL to issue the retraction.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2019, 10:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Similar to your "analysis"
We'll wait for the PGMOL to issue the retraction.

Its no big deal. I hate VAR with a passion. People who love rules and regulations love it, even if half the decisions it makes are wrong, and the other half are not right.

Just the way different people see things.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 120
blundellpork
November 9, 2019, 10:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 32
VAR is bilge, it was supposed to be for clear and obvious errors, yet here we are discussing whether a toe or armpit is offside. Much preferred football pre VAR.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 120
Stadium
November 9, 2019, 10:32pm
Champagne Drinker

Its no big deal. I hate VAR with a passion. People who love rules and regulations love it, even if half the decisions it makes are wrong, and the other half are not right.

Just the way different people see things.

Nothing wrong with hating it at all.
But the outrage with the Stockley Park folks is a bit silly.
Mistakes will happen but todays wasn't one of them

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2019, 10:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from blundellpork
VAR is bilge, it was supposed to be for clear and obvious errors, yet here we are discussing whether a toe or armpit is offside. Much preferred football pre VAR.

Imagine if you were a Sheff Utd. fan today and spent a fortune to see your team at Spurs. You are denied a goal in the most ridiculous of circumstances after a 3 minute wait until they got the "imaginary line" in just the right place to show half a toe was ahead of the defenders knee cap in the build up to a goal . Of course, it is almost impossible to know the precise moment when the ball was kicked or what frame the picture was stopped at but hey ho lets ruin the game anyway and take away the most enjoyable aspect of it  - celebrating a goal.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2019, 10:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Nothing wrong with hating it at all.
But the outrage with the Stockley Park folks is a bit silly.
Mistakes will happen but todays wasn't one of them

The still photograph in your earlier post - you think that shows the Sheffield player offside in any meaningful sense? I just cannot see it - that is just a snapshot at a particular moment. You could stop the frame fractionally before that, you draw the line a millimeter different and then you have the small matter of when the ball was actually passed forward which is very controversial in itself. And this is in the build up play well before the goal.

Private Message
Reply: 95 - 120
MuddyWaters
November 9, 2019, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Two refs reffing one game is fraught with disaster. Finding one decent ref is hard enough.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 120
Stadium
November 9, 2019, 10:55pm
Champagne Drinker

The still photograph in your earlier post - you think that shows the Sheffield player offside in any meaningful sense? I just cannot see it - that is just a snapshot at a particular moment. You could stop the frame fractionally before that, you draw the line a millimeter different and then you have the small matter of when the ball was actually passed forward which is very controversial in itself. And this is in the build up play well before the goal.

Whether the photograph is 100% accurate in relation to the decision I haven't the foggiest.
However in the VAR world its the official one that's been published & its offside as per the laws.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2019, 11:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Whether the photograph is 100% accurate in relation to the decision I haven't the foggiest.
However in the VAR world its the official one that's been published & its offside as per the laws.

We will have to agree to disagree.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 120
FishOutOfWater
November 11, 2019, 3:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from blundellpork

Could be worse.... with lots of younger lads nowadays succumbing to what used to be a predominantly female act of shaving their pits, had there been VAR back in the day it literally could have been a hair's breadth from being a goal  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 99 - 120
Stadium
November 11, 2019, 8:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Total overreaction,it's going according to plan:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50380641

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 120
moosey_club
November 11, 2019, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Have you seen it? There is no way that decision is "black and white." Are you honestly saying that a goal should be disallowed because someone in a studio deems that one players big toe is one centimetre in front of a defenders knee cap after a subjective view of when the ball is played,  and where the imaginary line is drawn? It was not even the move that led to the goal.

You think that people who paid hundreds of pounds to get to and attend the match think that is the correct decision?

It took 3 minutes to arrive at the decision after endless deliberation and to may observers they still got it wrong. Why is that good for the game in any way?

It is the system they selected to use therefore it is almost the "new law" in effect, if its there they have to use it and the closest decicions will take much greater scrutiny to get right....some more easily identifiable off sides are done very quickly....both in support of original decisions or overturning them.
Personally i dont like the idea of VAR at all, i didnt like the idea of goal line technology either but i really dont hear anyone complaining about that anymore....in effect its exactly the same technology to split hairs, has the whole of the ball crossed the line ?....is the whole of that foot,head, person onside ?
Overall though, until we face it on a weekly basis as GTFC i dont really care and find it all pretty amusing....i am sure by the time we are included the technology will have bedded in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 120
Stadium
November 14, 2019, 5:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

It is the system they selected to use therefore it is almost the "new law" in effect, if its there they have to use it and the closest decicions will take much greater scrutiny to get right....some more easily identifiable off sides are done very quickly....both in support of original decisions or overturning them.
Personally i dont like the idea of VAR at all, i didnt like the idea of goal line technology either but i really dont hear anyone complaining about that anymore....in effect its exactly the same technology to split hairs, has the whole of the ball crossed the line ?....is the whole of that foot,head, person onside ?
Overall though, until we face it on a weekly basis as GTFC i dont really care and find it all pretty amusing....i am sure by the time we are included the technology will have bedded in.

Basically it will continue albeit with tweaks next season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50423973

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 120
MuddyWaters
November 14, 2019, 5:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Basically it will continue albeit with tweaks next season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50423973

Can one of the 'tweaks' be the installation of an explosive device underneath the VAR shed at Stockley Park?
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 120
Meza
November 14, 2019, 5:54pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
I'm sure VAR could become a good thing but only with the right software to help them.  I would imagine at the minute the VAR team are having to manually line up for offsides and stop the frame when the ball is played.  Software would be much quicker, it could auto align for offsides and show a close up of the players foot touching the ball (no idea if its when the players foot touches the ball or whether its when it leaves his boot).  This could easily reduce the decision time.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 14, 2019, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
[quote=32]

That is a bit defeatist isn't it?

The "new law" has quite rightly come under intense scrutiny and is basically rubbish.

It has even affected the Mariners (Crystal Palace) and I was not laughing then and I am not laughing now. It is the principle I object to; I would rather a referee make all the decisions. The referee is as much a part of the game as the players fans and managers, and there is only one way this is all going - the referee will get less and less say on proceedings which is wrong because only the referee can take all factors into account (ie Fox's dismissal at Palac)

Of course refs make mistakes, but so do players and managers and fans.

quote]

Private Message
Reply: 105 - 120
moosey_club
November 14, 2019, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
[quote=32]

The "new law" has quite rightly come under intense scrutiny and is basically rubbish.

It has even affected the Mariners (Crystal Palace) and I was not laughing then and I am not laughing now. It is the principle I object to; I would rather a referee make all the decisions. The referee is as much a part of the game as the players fans and managers, and there is only one way this is all going - the referee will get less and less say on proceedings which is wrong because only the referee can take all factors into account (ie Fox's dismissal at Palac)

quote]

Unfortunately whilst that is lovely idea , Sky sports ruined all that when they introduced all the additional cameras at televised games and could easily highlight primarily linesmen mistakes. That is where all this has stemmed from, all the "top clubs" bemoaning incorrect decisions that cost them a point in after match interviews and every pundit on every highlight show doing the same.

We could all live happily in ignorance prior to the additional angles and slo motion,we just simply thought the decision was right or wrong depending on what end of the decision you were and just moved on.  That is much more difficult when there is video evidence proving it was totally incorrect.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 120
Stadium
November 14, 2019, 8:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Meza
I'm sure VAR could become a good thing but only with the right software to help them.  I would imagine at the minute the VAR team are having to manually line up for offsides and stop the frame when the ball is played.  Software would be much quicker, it could auto align for offsides and show a close up of the players foot touching the ball (no idea if its when the players foot touches the ball or whether its when it leaves his boot).  This could easily reduce the decision time.

Background on that here:

https://youtu.be/PCOK7-kc_8o

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 120
Stadium
November 14, 2019, 8:11pm
Champagne Drinker
[quote=32]

quote]

The referee has the final say.
In the case of the fox tackle it was the correct decision.
My issue would be that var was only used in selected matched that weekend.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 120
Les Brechin
November 23, 2019, 10:22am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 120
golfer
November 23, 2019, 1:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 114
If the referee is not sure on a decision and he asks for assistance-fair enough-otherwise keep your fking nose out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 120
Theimperialcoroner
November 23, 2019, 1:08pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,138
Gold Stars: 102
VAR is male masturbation

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 120
mimma
November 23, 2019, 1:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
Cricket has got it right. The umpire makes a decision. It can only be overturned in the case of LBW if only gets overturned if it is missing or hitting by a big margin. If it marginal then the original decision stands because the human eye cannot see such small margins.

In offside scrap the stupid lines and slide rules. If it is too close to call the original decision stands.Only If it is very clearly off or not  then overrule the decision. It would speed up the review because it would have to be be clear to the naked eye wether it was wrong or not.

Same with handball. The ball has to be deflected to make a difference.  We had a decision where the ball touched an arm as it dropped so a penalty was given. To me that was stupid as it made no difference to the game and the attacking team did not even appeal. We had to wait several minutes before it was given. Under last years rules it wouldn't have been given. The rules were changed to accommodate VAR.  That is wrong IMHO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 120
FishOutOfWater
November 24, 2019, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

My take on that as a spectator

Martin Atkinson gave a yellow card to Fox based on what he'd seen.... he saw what I saw; a clumsy mistimed tackle a couple of minutes in to the game

What followed though as a fan was a lot of confusion...

Atkinson may have had the final word in that he was the one who changed the yellow into a straight red but how did he arrive at that decision?

There were no protests from the Palace players trying to get Fox sent off.... it was reviewed by an anonymous official who somehow got word to Atkinson that his eyes were deluding him so as to the ref's decision being final, in our case it was the man in the middle who gave the judgment after the verdict had been decided miles away from Selhurst Park

For that reason, though VAR might have had potential.... I'm out  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 113 - 120
November 24, 2019, 2:24pm
Guest User
VAR  was intoduced to make sure Liverpool wins the premiership. IMHO
Reply: 114 - 120
malkamalka
November 24, 2019, 2:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
As usual, PIGMOB over complicate things because their officials are basically useless.

Why should Offside be about anything other than the position of a player's feet?
All this crap using slide rules to see if a bald blokes head is playing a hairy sod onside is ridiculous. Or if an elbow is offside, or a hand?

The time wasted is more than they ever book any player for.

The adrenalin rush you get when your team scores is taken out of the game by these over officious fools.

Why waste time looking at cards? It's a foul said Atkinson - Yellow. It's a foul says some anonymous body 30 miles away - Red. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Now we've had Riley say that VAR decisions were wrong and cost Arsenal a win against Palace. That's all right them Mike, mate.

No, it's tantamount to level 4 match fixing.

It'll be all fixed when BJ gets Brexit done FFS!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 120
Gaffer58
November 24, 2019, 3:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Feel for premiership fans slightly, their team scores a goal and just as they start celebrating up pops VAR, everybody then waits, sometimes 3/4 minutes whilst probably a championship referee looks at the evidence and decides to rule out the goal. The fans then shake their heads, because although they are in the ground nobody explains the decision. It must be extremely frustrating for them, but at least they've got prawn sandwiches to eat!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
November 24, 2019, 4:13pm
Whiskey Drinker

My take on that as a spectator

Martin Atkinson gave a yellow card to Fox based on what he'd seen.... he saw what I saw; a clumsy mistimed tackle a couple of minutes in to the game

What followed though as a fan was a lot of confusion...

Atkinson may have had the final word in that he was the one who changed the yellow into a straight red but how did he arrive at that decision?

There were no protests from the Palace players trying to get Fox sent off.... it was reviewed by an anonymous official who somehow got word to Atkinson that his eyes were deluding him so as to the ref's decision being final, in our case it was the man in the middle who gave the judgment after the verdict had been decided miles away from Selhurst Park

For that reason, though VAR might have had potential.... I'm out  

Exactly. I was disgusted at the time of Fox's red card and I am still miffed. Anybody would think I bear a grudge.

The match referee took all considerations into account at the time and deemed it a yellow. That alone would have stopped Fox or anybody else getting too pumped up.

To overturn that just because someone miles away thought he would have to get involved in the game because he could, was madness then and it is madness now.

Goals should not be ruled out for slide rule offsides. I have seen some posters sanctimoniously argue that "if he is offside he is offside" even if it takes a slide rule to decide, and even then it is open to interpretation. Complete madness.

I don't know why Premier League fans aren't more up in arms about it and boycott some games to bring the authorities to their senses.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 120
Ipswin
November 24, 2019, 6:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

FFS are we still going on about that !

Private Message
Reply: 118 - 120
Stadium
November 24, 2019, 10:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

FFS are we still going on about that !

Keep up at the back.
LCL resurrected the discussion about the VAR decision in that game.
The majority accepted the decision at the time & moved on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 120
Stadium
November 24, 2019, 10:52pm
Champagne Drinker

Exactly. I was disgusted at the time of Fox's red card and I am still miffed. Anybody would think I bear a grudge.

The match referee took all considerations into account at the time and deemed it a yellow. That alone would have stopped Fox or anybody else getting too pumped up.

To overturn that just because someone miles away thought he would have to get involved in the game because he could, was madness then and it is madness now.

Goals should not be ruled out for slide rule offsides. I have seen some posters sanctimoniously argue that "if he is offside he is offside" even if it takes a slide rule to decide, and even then it is open to interpretation. Complete madness.

I don't know why Premier League fans aren't more up in arms about it and boycott some games to bring the authorities to their senses.

lol  
Really?
Most fans realise that it's totally out of there hands & they are not important when it comes to decisions.
Take the alteration of kick off times as an example.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 120
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR & Martin Atkinson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.