13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
November 3, 2019, 8:04pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,009
Gold Stars: 194
Quoted from supertown

Rubbish, booking at worst . He hardly touched him. I rewound it and it looks like a dislocated ankle that was put back in by the time he went off . Hope I’m right , Son can appeal and get it recinded

Must agree with this.....Son's challenge looked innocuous and I will be surprised if Spurs don't appeal the red card.

Son is an honest player and he looked inconsolable after the challenge but for me there was no intent to harm Gomes.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 120
LH
November 3, 2019, 8:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
It does look as if he’s gone out to injure him if you follow the narrative that Sky sort of suggested with the context of a VAR review for an elbow by Gomes on Son a few minutes earlier. Not for me - a clumsy challenge that was about to be punished by a yellow until Atkinson saw the injury.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 120
moosey_club
November 3, 2019, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from LH
It does look as if he’s gone out to injure him if you follow the narrative that Sky sort of suggested with the context of a VAR review for an elbow by Gomes on Son a few minutes earlier. Not for me - a clumsy challenge that was about to be punished by a yellow until Atkinson saw the injury.

Red mist desecended, ran after him and fouled him, never went for the ball, only the player....not saying it was a full bloodied leg breaker type challenge, but if you chase a player with the intent of bringing him down then "endangering the opponent" must be in there to consider ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 120
supertown
November 3, 2019, 9:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Just seen a picture (don’t know how to put it on here) it’s worse than a dislocation but at least it’s sitting the right way now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 120
Rik e B
November 3, 2019, 9:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Watched the game but was out room and missed the actual moment... Only saw Son's challenge on replay and only looked a yellow to me. But from what I can decipher without seeing cringe worthy footage Gomes foot jammed into turf, a freak accident not necessarily brought on by Son.

Seems the ref saw the injury and changed it to red. But like I say, I missed the crucial moment.

Dunno if I want to see it, I'm imagining Alf Inge Haaland  v Roy Keane (but ankle not leg) by the way the player's all traumatised like they got PTSD.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 120
supertown
November 3, 2019, 9:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Nowhere as bad as buusts all those years ago, at least the break/dislocation is actually at a joint
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 120
Hagrid
November 3, 2019, 9:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 529
Yellow card
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 120
Stadium
November 4, 2019, 3:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Dermot Gallagher:

"Whatever the decision made on the day pales into insignificance for what happened to Gomes. I wish him a speedy recovery. I just hope Martin Atkinson gets the support network he deserves because people will say it wasn't a red card - they may well be right - but if you're in that situation at that time I can fully understand why Atkinson took the action he did. I defy any person refereeing at that level and to be involved in that situation to put their hand up and say 'I'd have done it differently'."

Apparently Son wasn't shown a yellow but a straight red.
Therefore spurs can appeal.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 120
Grantham_Mariner
November 4, 2019, 4:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,178
Gold Stars: 50
What we need is a video panel to correct mistakes made by the VAR referee.  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 120
Maringer
November 4, 2019, 5:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Not wanting to particularly put on a tinfoil hat here, but could it be possible that the referees are deliberately refusing to check the monitors at the ground for contentious offside/penalty decisions in an attempt to get the system booted out or perhaps changed?

From the brief bits of MOTD I've seen, the TV commentators seem to be berating them for never looking at the monitors in these cases so I do wonder if some of them have agreed amongst themselves that this should be the way to proceed?

Can't say I would blame them if this is the case as it's a shockingly bad implementation of the technology as it stands. As I've said in the past, there should be an "Umpire's Call" situation for decisions which aren't especially obviously incorrect, especially when it comes to offsides.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR & Martin Atkinson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.