Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town are above Scunny in the League
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 304 Guests

Town are above Scunny in the League

This thread currently has 82,703 views. Print
46 Pages Prev ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Next All Recommend Thread
BIron
February 18, 2020, 2:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: -98
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Scunny’s population is smaller than GY’s but half our ‘catchment area’ is the sea if you draw a circle round the town. Draw the same sized circle round Scunny and it’s all land. I guess people round that way would rather go shopping in Donny than watch the Iron.

You have Immingham, Killingholme, Healing, Cleethorpes,, New Waltham, Humberston, Louth. Will be some I have missed off there too.  Can't deny you have a bigger population, i have never understood the gloating about attendances towards us. If only attendances made you a successful club eh?

I'd rather have 3,000 die hard supporters there than have it full of people that only go when we are doing well.

UTI  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 420 - 452
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 18, 2020, 2:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BIron

You have Immingham, Killingholme, Healing, Cleethorpes,, New Waltham, Humberston, Louth. Will be some I have missed off there too.  Can't deny you have a bigger population, i have never understood the gloating about attendances towards us. If only attendances made you a successful club eh?

I'd rather have 3,000 die hard supporters there than have it full of people that only go when we are doing well.

UTI  

In that case though, you have to accept you are always going to need a sugar daddy and hope he is a true fan with deep pockets. Even so, he will only be regarded as a saviour when things are going well, ask John Fenty!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 421 - 452
BIron
February 18, 2020, 3:26pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

The money we have to spend will depend on season ticket sales, so on current feeling, probably yes. But money isn't the only factor in success, look at the teams that have been promoted and relegated in the last few seasons. What we currently have is a feel good factor and confidence, and that is priceless. It doesn't guarantee anything, but if we can keep good form and play this way until the end of the season, then I think next season will have a sort of positivity about the club that we haven't had probably since 97/98.

The most positive thing for me is that Holloway seems to have a good relationship with his players, like Hurst did, but also his reputation and personality make him popular with the fans too. Of course, it could just be the honeymoon period, but players wanting to sign for him multiple times and at a lower level than they could play at and probably on lower wages suggests to me that we are heading in the right direction.

Interesting response that, very well written. I'm annoyingly jealous of what you lot have got at the moment.  I imagine you're feeling confident coming over here and getting revenge for what happened before Christmas. You're right regarding transfer budget, as i mentioned previously on here - Lawsy did it on a shoestring budget and so did Adkins.  The days of Sharp and Keogh or Hooper and Hayes up front feel like a long time ago.  

UTI

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 422 - 452
ginnywings
February 18, 2020, 3:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from BIron

UTI  

Must be well happy at present then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 423 - 452
Limerick Mariner
February 18, 2020, 4:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from BIron

UTI  

Population of Nth Lincs is 172k, Nth East Lincs is 159k. SUFC has a comparabl population in a 20 mile catchment, but alot of the population support someone else - Grimsby, Lincoln and Doncaster - clubs with a much longer football league history.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 424 - 452
Marinerz93
February 18, 2020, 4:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
You like the last 15 seasons, tell me BIron since you were voted into the league by us how many seasons since 1950/51 season have you been above us, you won't though will you  

Scunthorpe since 1950 have finished above Town = ?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 425 - 452
BIron
February 18, 2020, 5:11pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Another of your ferrous fingered brood, Stevie Cammack, who used to post on here quite recently , used that description for your team. Unless, of course, he was an original  Iron's supporter  ( West Ham ) and he got on the wrong message board!

Oh the original poster, I'm not familar with who he is apart from our club record goal-scorer with 110 goals. Unless that is Mr Cammack himself posting?   It's each to their own isn't it how they choose to behave, however I like to be able to communicate with you lot intellectually as well as dish out some banter from time to time. I am glad i am welcome on here.  

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 426 - 452
Northbank Mariner
February 18, 2020, 5:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from BIron

Oh the original poster, I'm not familar with who he is apart from our club record goal-scorer with 110 goals. Unless that is Mr Cammack himself posting?   It's each to their own isn't it how they choose to behave, however I like to be able to communicate with you lot intellectually as well as dish out some banter from time to time. I am glad i am welcome on here.  

UTI

Do us all a favour, if you ever find out who "Stevie Cammack" is, slap him with a wet fish!!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 427 - 452
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 18, 2020, 5:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Population of Nth Lincs is 172k, Nth East Lincs is 159k. SUFC has a comparabl population in a 20 mile catchment, but alot of the population support someone else - Grimsby, Lincoln and Doncaster - clubs with a much longer football league history.

In 1950 when the club was elected to the league it was called Scunthorpe And Lindsey United which gives an idea of the intended catchment. In those days the average gate would have been a lot lower than GTFC.

Incidentally in the re-election year of 1955 the GTFC gate for the derby game was nearly 20k and for the return at Scunthorpe over 15k. United did the double over Town.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 428 - 452
BIron
February 18, 2020, 5:16pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

All of them clubs you have mentioned are bigger  places than us. However, all them clubs you named have all disappeared out of the football league in modern times haven't they?  

We have remained in the football league since 1950.  I fear that status will come to an end within the next few years though if we aren't careful.  This summer is  vital.

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 429 - 452
46 Pages Prev ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town are above Scunny in the League

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.