Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town are above Scunny in the League
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 211 Guests

Town are above Scunny in the League

This thread currently has 82,695 views. Print
46 Pages Prev ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
February 13, 2020, 4:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Can I just say that it’s good to have Mr BIron on here talking sense, not trying to just wind us up, unlike Mr Cammack. Having these type of discussions are what forums are for as long as everyone respects the opinions of the contributors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 380 - 452
BIron
February 13, 2020, 4:18pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: -98
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Gaffer58
Can I just say that it’s good to have Mr BIron on here talking sense, not trying to just wind us up, unlike Mr Cammack. Having these type of discussions are what forums are for as long as everyone respects the opinions of the contributors.

Thank you for your kind words, appreciate that!   let's have this right though, if we do manage to get a result in March i will be dishing it out just as i'd expect it from you lot!  I find it interesting to hear the thoughts from the enemy ranks so i'm glad you appreciate my presence on here.

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 381 - 452
Gaffer58
February 13, 2020, 4:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Oh don’t worry, WHEN not if we beat you at your place I will be the first to get a dig in, along with texting all my scunny supporting mates to give them a right ear full.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 382 - 452
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 13, 2020, 4:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
I grew up in Market Rasen where you either supported Grimsby or Lincoln and given our 71/72 season and a decade later our home grown player heyday the majority of my era are town fans. I started going in 1965 and was there when Scunny last won with what I recall was a Nigel Cassidy goal, I think a year later may have been the Rathbone & Welbourne sending off match and we needed a Stuart Brace equaliser well into injury time to get a 1-1. Again memory can be iffy but recall that Brace goal was Vernamlikein beating several players before slotting it home.

Anyway in Rasen nobody supported or went to watch Scunny or Hull so I never had a strong dislike for either side especially as tv in those days had football from Anglia Television so these were the teams featured if for some reason they weren’t showing the Norwich or Ipswich game.

Living in a village a mile outside Lincoln the local boozer obviously has a majority of Lincoln fans as there clientele but we have two Scunny season ticket holders who are both far too decent and honest it is very hard to take the pee, but I do my best.

If I were a Scunny fan at present my main concern would be Swann and how stable he is in his role and financial commitment. He wanted to achieve great things at Gainsborough but lost interest very quickly when he couldn’t get a new ground, was I understand then on the verge of joining the board at Lincoln before his last minute defection to Scunny.

Over the years have enjoyed the Scunny games as always that “hostile” atmosphere and in general we have done quite well winning more than we lose. Hopefully we get revenge in March and finish the season on our current high but if the last six weeks have shown us anything it’s how quickly your football fortunes can change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 383 - 452
Heisenberg
February 13, 2020, 6:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,035
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from BIron

I was there that day,  right next to what looked like your 'naughty corner'  watching   them take about 5 minutes to unveil a big Grimsby Town flag   To be fair KVV put his finger up as if to say " Be right back, just off to wind that lot up first" He did end up coming back over to celebrate with us, not seen scenes like that in an away end watching Scunny for years.  KVV is very much a player you'd love on your team but hate him when he is against you. He has the talent to perform in the Championship but in the past has being guilty of inconsistency and his attitude. You're absolutely right, he thrives off the abuse and Holloway's comments have just added fuel to the fire. I have no doubt if he scores against you again, he will go over to Holloway and dish it out to him and rightly so.  

UTI

To be fair to Ollie, he’s a bit embarrassed about what he said and has apologised. He does have a tendency to speak before he thinks, but I quite like that about him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 384 - 452
Marinerz93
February 13, 2020, 6:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from BIron
[quote=347]

Do they have the internet in Scunthorpe, just asking as there seems to be hardly anyone posting on the Bru.

Welcome to the busiest Football forum in Lincolnshire and the only ones crawling has been done by the Scunts, never heard a pip from you lot up the road since you were formed until we went through our worst period in our history and rusty ironing club some how won the lottery and climbed out of the bottom of the pond you occupied for most of your clubs history.

Our day will certainly come again, and here's why, you can't keep a club like ours down. We get knocked down but we get up again, because we are Grimsby Town. The only double likely to happen at Glumford park is if you give us more tickets we'll double your normal gate.

The classic, bitter codhead response. Oh did you get knocked down as well, right in the doldrums of non league and I enjoyed every second of it.  Regarding attendances, we sold out our away end at your crumbling ground  and could have taken more to boost your gate too.  Regardless what happens for the rest of the season, at least we beat you in your own backyard for the first time since 1969. UTI

Bitter   I would take our history and clubs potential over your rusty sardine bound Squad you can't afford now Mrs Wilkinson has pulled the purse strings.

I don't hate the Scunts, however the hatred towards Town from your neck of the woods doesn't compare to any hatred  or dislike shown by Town fans towards the Scunts and the reason for that is the Scunts for the majority of your history has been 4th division old money and in the main a place we used to off load players or send out reserve / fringe players. Scunny in the main has been insignificant to Town fans as Hull for my generation was always the derby game that Town fans looked for and no Scunny or Lincoln game has ever emulated the tension or passion both sets of fans showed in those derby games.

Welcome anyway and once you've given your head a wobble it will be interesting to see how the season pans out for both of us, I would wish you luck but to do that I'd have to shove 6 inch nails into my eyes and with what I am seeing at Town so far this season, I don't want to risk losing my sight right now  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 385 - 452
TownSNAFU5
February 13, 2020, 7:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Argh Nigel Cassidy.  Heard a story about him many many years ago.  I was told that he was in a pub or club in Scunny on a Sat night. He was trying to chat-up and impress some young floozies.  

He said to them “Do you know who I am?”.  Then said that he played for Scunthorpe United.

Besides anything else, it is not exactly the same as saying you play for Liverpool is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 386 - 452
golfer
February 13, 2020, 7:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
I agree with Marinerz93 , when I was younger,so much younger than today, Our main away day was on the ferry to Hull for THE DERBY. I remember Ron Rafferty shoulder charging their goalie into the net right in front of us. No appeals for a foul -goal given.  Proper football not like these ffannies today with their ponsy hair styles and varnished fingernails  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 387 - 452
pizzzza
February 14, 2020, 9:35pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from golfer
I agree with Marinerz93 , when I was younger,so much younger than today, Our main away day was on the ferry to Hull for THE DERBY. I remember Ron Rafferty shoulder charging their goalie into the net right in front of us. No appeals for a foul -goal given.  Proper football not like these ffannies today with their ponsy hair styles and varnished fingernails  

Might not be too long before we play Hull again, as I watch them now they are losing again 4-3 and the KeeeerSeee looks about 10% full.
Private Message
Reply: 388 - 452
Limerick Mariner
February 15, 2020, 9:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from golfer

It depends on age and origin. Scunthorpe for me because I'm a McMenemy babe from Brigg. In theory Lincoln should be THE DERBY both clubs were founder members of division 2 when Scunthorpe wasn't much more than a village. Scunthorpe being our main rivals is a bit like Corby Town being the main rivals to Northampton Town...

As the crow flies Hull is closest and for those older than me I can understand why that is THE DERBY. We could meet in a couple of seasons - they'd really have to slump to get relegated this but they've offloaded their best players and they could decline quickly. Fewer than 10k on last night - lowest attendance since the Boothferry days?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 389 - 452
46 Pages Prev ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town are above Scunny in the League

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.