This thread currently has 11,105 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 12, 2019, 5:39pm Report to Moderator
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +41 / -11
Approval: +6,394
The Mucky Slow and Late (MS&L) was a well established railway business in the 1840s and built the docks and railway for a two way trade - fish in, coal out. In fact until the late 19th century the town ended more or less at what is now Humber Street because the area from Holme Hill onwards was largely Marsh. Hence we get East Marsh, West Marsh, Over The Marsh and so on. Grimsby Docks station did not really serve the docks much, its name is a description of where it was built. Trade to and from the docks was loaded directly on the docks. Grimsby Town station was built in 1848 when it was at the centre of the old town, the population grew around Central Market and on to Riby Square and Cleethorpe Road so there was a demand for a station there. The original Royal Hotel was also built then. I think Patricia Hodge’s family worked there.

A lot of the East Marsh was pretty much a slum even as it was built. No decent foundations, soaking wet land and Orwell Street, Strand Street and down Freeman Street was full of cheap spec building. But it was still better than the most of the Central Market area around Middle Court and Burgess Street.

A lot of this history was lost with the building of the flyover and Many younger Grimbarians will not remember that Riby Square was THE place everyone knew. It was full of fine buildings now lost and a thriving commercial trade, not always legitimate!  Dock Station was a busy place right into the 1950s.

The line was extended to Cleethorpes in 1863 but there was no actual station or prom until 1884, ten years after the Pier. The line was originally for local use but the MS&L saw that seaside resorts were the coming thing. A number of hotels sprang up along Grimsby Road mainly at the bottom of Isaacs Hill opposite what is now the Memorial Hall, and then along the sea front. The land along from Park Street was cheap and that brought about the infill of terraced housing and a low cost ground at Blundell Park.

"Ah well, I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now.” Bob Dylan, My Back Pages
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 72
Rik e B
July 12, 2019, 6:29pm Report to Moderator

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +17 / -3
Approval: +2,495
Wow, kudos for the historical insight there 👌🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 72
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 12, 2019, 6:49pm Report to Moderator
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +41 / -11
Approval: +6,394

"Ah well, I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now.” Bob Dylan, My Back Pages
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Very Quiet

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.