1mickylyons
July 5, 2019, 11:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from mimma
The thing about living in town is that after every game, the number of people that constantly ask me about the game, and the club in general. There is a lot of interest in the club from fans that don't go anymore but are genuinely interested and would always wish us well and still say they are fans.

Problem is turning that latent support into fans through the turnstiles. Ask why they don't go and you get a lot of different answers but generally because of where we are and once they stop going it's very difficult to get them back again.

This in buckets is also my experience I speak with dozens of lapsed Town fans who have stopped for dozens of reasons but the most obvious they are simply out the habit.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 5, 2019, 11:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Parking...access from meggies etc accessible if the station is still in use. Even the likes of maybe having a sort of park and ride from new clee station to docks station.

Support...there are many that find it too expensive so would have to pick and choose games. With a new ground, we also have a blank canvas. Ask the fans, you know, the people that matter, where certain ends should be (where to put away fans/new pontoon/family section etc) this way, offers could be applied to certain areas. A non static stadium is a must.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
jamesgtfc
July 5, 2019, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Would players prefer to play in a new stadium or train on good facilities?

Good facilities reduce injuries etc so any new stadium needs to include leading facilities or out facilities need upgrading first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
mimma
July 5, 2019, 1:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Good facilities bring in better players. Any potential new signings have a look at the club first before committing themselves. One look around our facilities and the first offer they get from another club with anything like decent facilities and they're gone
It's the same scenario which loan players. A club that want to loan out one of their starlets take a look and think we're not risking his development there thank you very much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
Bigdog
July 5, 2019, 5:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Could be significant.. Tom Shutes has just retweeted a few good luck messages re the takeover..

https://twitter.com/thstas

Also encouraging.. the content of the tweets he has retweeted..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
KingstonMariner
July 5, 2019, 6:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I read that as nothing more than applying a bit of pressure in a kind of ‘I’m the people’s choice of steward for the club [and not a steward in a hi vis jacket sense]’ 😉

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
White_shorts
July 9, 2019, 2:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -639
Gold Stars: 12
I'm not sure if Network Rail would be keen to build a new footbridge at a station with just one platform. There's a pedestrian walkway within the nearby Cleethorpes Road flyover.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
rancido
July 9, 2019, 3:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from White_shorts
I'm not sure if Network Rail would be keen to build a new footbridge at a station with just one platform. There's a pedestrian walkway within the nearby Cleethorpes Road flyover.

I doubt very much if Network Rail will pay for any station refurbishment at either Docks Station or New Clee. When the Great Coates site was being discussed they wanted the club to pay for Great Coates station to be updated so I doubt very much if their position will change for the two stations in question.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
KingstonMariner
July 10, 2019, 11:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

I doubt very much if Network Rail will pay for any station refurbishment at either Docks Station or New Clee. When the Great Coates site was being discussed they wanted the club to pay for Great Coates station to be updated so I doubt very much if their position will change for the two stations in question.

Imagine if their forebears in the MS&LR* had taken the attitude that the businesses of Grimsby and Cleethorpes would benefit from the railway so they could bloody well pay for the thing! The railway company then had the vision to not only build the docks but also the prom at Cleethorpes because both would increase their traffic..

* Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
rancido
July 11, 2019, 1:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Imagine if their forebears in the MS&LR* had taken the attitude that the businesses of Grimsby and Cleethorpes would benefit from the railway so they could bloody well pay for the thing! The railway company then had the vision to not only build the docks but also the prom at Cleethorpes because both would increase their traffic..

* Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway.

But the MSL&R did build Docks Station and they did it for huge financial reasons. Their main reasons was for the number of people in the area that would use a rail link on a daily basis. The access of the railway to Grimsby ( especially the docks ) was for the hugely lucrative freight business generated by the port. The fishing industry added to this and at it's height in excess of 20 fish trains alone left Grimsby every day of the working week. The later extension to Cleethorpes was built purely for the huge numbers of holiday makers from South Yorkshire that wanted to access the seaside. Now there is no freight at all that leaves Grimsby Docks by rail and I would hardly imagine the possible use of a station on 23 occasions a year would justify the costs incurred. The holiday maker travel to Cleethorpes has reduced greatly in the last 50 years. I remember up to 30 rail excursions coming into Cleethorpes on a Sunday in the summer during the early 1960's. To my knowledge there are none now. Even the MSL&R and its later format the GCR would never have considered such an outlay for such a small return in the case of upgrading Grimsby Docks station and New Clee.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Very Quiet

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.