1mickylyons
July 5, 2019, 6:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from pen penfras

Agreed, but I looked at the teams above us and Crewe have Nantwich, Winsford and a few other towns around them. Tranmere have the whole of the Wirral. Carlisle have a huge area with few clubs around. The same argument could be made for those.

Your point does have some validity but when I first started watching Town buses of supporters came in fromallover Lincs we pulled in support from Rasen,Louth,Horncastle,Mablethorpe,Skegness,Caistor,Barton I bet that`s now dwindled to a handful of fans. The people are out there the 15k that have followed Town to Wembley numerous times prove that it`s retaining them that`s the problem and in Towns case based on the FGR Wembley game they struggle to retain any of those extras.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
LondonMariner43
July 5, 2019, 7:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,953
Gold Stars: 64
One of the biggest myths on this site is that because we took x number to Wembley then we should get these supporters to home games blah blah.  There are Town fans all over the country and all over the world.  For a play off game at Wembley, many of those fans will travel from far and wide to be there.  However, we aren’t all going to make a home game on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
Croxton
July 5, 2019, 8:07am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
[/b]
Quoted from LondonMariner43
One of the biggest myths on this site is that because we took x number to Wembley then we should get these supporters to home games blah blah.  There are Town fans all over the country and all over the world.  For a play off game at Wembley, many of those fans will travel from far and wide to be there.  [b]However, we aren’t all going to make a home game on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening.  

But lots of local families could. Sadly, ticket options and lacklustre fan engagement keep us in the slow lane. Too much reliance on old codgers like me travelling from afar. The hinterland should be the focus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
RoboCod
July 5, 2019, 8:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from promotion plaice

The posh new bar called FENTY'S  

Looking forward to running up my benign tab at this bar

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
1mickylyons
July 5, 2019, 8:22am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from LondonMariner43
One of the biggest myths on this site is that because we took x number to Wembley then we should get these supporters to home games blah blah.  There are Town fans all over the country and all over the world.  For a play off game at Wembley, many of those fans will travel from far and wide to be there.  However, we aren’t all going to make a home game on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening.  

I suggest you look at how many people travelled from Grimsby area itself for the games and it would be well in excess of 10k so more than double our average home gate. The failure to retain a chunk of that support is a failing whatever way you look at it . Those other supporters who travelled from far and wide you mention is obviously a much more difficult challenge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
RichMariner
July 5, 2019, 10:11am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
We have a lot of fans who pick and choose, and make late decisions, on whether they want to go to a match. I'm not having a go, or accusing anyone of being fair weather fans. It's just a fact.

We have 3,000 season ticket holders, maybe 1,000 more who go regularly when they can, but beyond that, well, it's up for grabs.

A home game on a Saturday should be something that everyone goes to because they always have. Force of habit. Part of their routine. In an ideal world for the club, it should be 'yeah, of course I'm going to the match! Why wouldn't I?'

Sadly, I think the club have, over the last decade or two, given the fans plenty of reasons not to go. So now we need to start converting those fair weather fans into core fans. We've let things drift for too long.

I grew up thinking I'd always be part of that core 3,000. But I moved away, and now I'm an exile. I could make more matches than the ones I do attend, but I fell out of that habitual routine a while ago.

Maybe the club will never be able to truly re-convert the likes of me again. Perhaps they should focus on the next generation and lock them in somehow. Might take another decade to repair the damage that's been done over the last two.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
Sir Matt Tease
July 5, 2019, 10:17am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 31
Build it and they will come !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
mimma
July 5, 2019, 10:27am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
The thing about living in town is that after every game, the number of people that constantly ask me about the game, and the club in general. There is a lot of interest in the club from fans that don't go anymore but are genuinely interested and would always wish us well and still say they are fans.

Problem is turning that latent support into fans through the turnstiles. Ask why they don't go and you get a lot of different answers but generally because of where we are and once they stop going it's very difficult to get them back again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 71
Rik e B
July 5, 2019, 11:02am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
Build it and they will come !

This.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
grimsby pete
July 5, 2019, 11:03am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
It's a chicken and egg situation a lot of fans will only go to the big games for whatever reason

A successful side will bring in the fans but the club needs to bring in better players to climb up the leagues, they can only do that if we have the resources to bring them in so we need the fans to come so we have the resources to improve.

The other way is to bring in younger players from within if they are good enough plus have a nice new stadium that fans feel comfortable in and enjoy the experience.

Hopefully within a few years we will not only have a new stadium plenty of talented youths forcing their way into the 1st team but much higher gates so we can attract better players.

Simple don't you think ?  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Very Quiet

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.