This thread currently has 15,745 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
July 4, 2019, 4:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
A new stadium can work wonders. Donny's attendances more than doubled their first season in the new one, as did Huddersfields'. People will come if the product is right. Still love BP though, that'll never die.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 71
moosey_club
July 4, 2019, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from nightrider
You'd think we could get 8-9000 (it would be nice) if we were in the top half, add a few thousand more for championship plus the extra away following. But we don't. Normally 5500 in the championship, give or take a thousand. Some good entertainment/football in the 90s
I live 100mile away so seldom go to home games but judging by gates over the last 30years, people aren't interested
You could almost give the tickets away, and we have done in the past, and we'd struggle to sell more tickets

but the club fail to to even try and capitalise when the going gets good, sit on their laurels and therefore its easy to stay away when the times are hard....since our first trips to Wembley in 98 we have immediately lost / failed to retain the 10's of thousands of supporters that went to those games.....
our eventual return to the League was met with long delays on releasing season tickets....which eventually came out after we had announced some of the best loved players had left and oh yes...the prices were going up !!  Thats just one example.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 71
The Yard Dog
July 4, 2019, 7:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from moosey_club

but the club fail to to even try and capitalise when the going gets good, sit on their laurels and therefore its easy to stay away when the times are hard....since our first trips to Wembley in 98 we have immediately lost / failed to retain the 10's of thousands of supporters that went to those games.....
our eventual return to the League was met with long delays on releasing season tickets....which eventually came out after we had announced some of the best loved players had left and oh yes...the prices were going up !!  Thats just one example.

There are lots of factors that impact attendances at BP.  With all the major industries either in decline or disappeared over the last 20 years (the fishing industry, Findus, Birds Eye, KP Foods, Ciba-Geigy, Courtaulds, Tioxide, just a few that spring to mind). These companies employed thousands, sadly the younger generation, have to move out of the town to find employment, thats why we have a good following at away games, exiles, scattered all over the country.
Watching football in no longer a working man's game, the aveage family is being priced out,  football in this country, is killing the game, or should I say the Premiership and player's AGENTS. Foreign Manager's moaning in the Premiership they play too many games, wanting a winter break and no replays in the league cup and now after the fourth round in the FA cup there are no replays, so less chance for the lower teams to make a bit of money from replays.
Then there is BP, it has the oldest stand in the football league, which has to be maintained, which will cost the club.  The club has tried to move, however we have the most backward thinking council in the entire country, which has stopped the club moving forward.
Had we moved to Great Coates, we would have had more modern facilities, less maintenance costs, which might allowed a bigger player budget.
Grimsby will always have the diehard element, that will always support the club, through what ever.
Until their is substantial investment in the town, whoever is at the helm, will struggle.
One thing for sure, is come the first game of this season, I will at there, because, I am Grimsby until I die.

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 71
KingstonMariner
July 4, 2019, 8:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from The Yard Dog

There are lots of factors that impact attendances at BP.  With all the major industries either in decline or disappeared over the last 20 years (the fishing industry, Findus, Birds Eye, KP Foods, Ciba-Geigy, Courtaulds, Tioxide, just a few that spring to mind). These companies employed thousands, sadly the younger generation, have to move out of the town to find employment, thats why we have a good following at away games, exiles, scattered all over the country.
Watching football in no longer a working man's game, the aveage family is being priced out,  football in this country, is killing the game, or should I say the Premiership and player's AGENTS. Foreign Manager's moaning in the Premiership they play too many games, wanting a winter break and no replays in the league cup and now after the fourth round in the FA cup there are no replays, so less chance for the lower teams to make a bit of money from replays.
Then there is BP, it has the oldest stand in the football league, which has to be maintained, which will cost the club.  The club has tried to move, however we have the most backward thinking council in the entire country, which has stopped the club moving forward.
Had we moved to Great Coates, we would have had more modern facilities, less maintenance costs, which might allowed a bigger player budget.
Grimsby will always have the diehard element, that will always support the club, through what ever.
Until their is substantial investment in the town, whoever is at the helm, will struggle.
One thing for sure, is come the first game of this season, I will at there, because, I am Grimsby until I die.

UTM.

Most of that applies to other northern towns.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 71
grimsby pete
July 4, 2019, 8:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Garth

I'm 80 Pete so let's hang on in there

I will do my best Garth if we are still here when the new ground opens we will have to have a drink together in the posh new bar to celebrate

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 71
promotion plaice
July 4, 2019, 8:35pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from grimsby pete

I will do my best Garth if we are still here when the new ground opens we will have to have a drink together in the posh new bar to celebrate

The posh new bar called FENTY'S  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 71
grimsby pete
July 4, 2019, 8:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from promotion plaice

The posh new bar called FENTY'S  

There used to be a fishy table in the Imp where I met a few posters in the past so maybe we could get one in the new bar   PP .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 71
Limerick Mariner
July 4, 2019, 9:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,662
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from nightrider
You'd think we could get 8-9000 (it would be nice) if we were in the top half, add a few thousand more for championship plus the extra away following. But we don't. Normally 5500 in the championship, give or take a thousand. Some good entertainment/football in the 90s
I live 100mile away so seldom go to home games but judging by gates over the last 30years, people aren't interested
You could almost give the tickets away, and we have done in the past, and we'd struggle to sell more tickets

1995 A good time to be a town fan. Big game i remember against Charlton to decide who would go top -
Att 6800

Off subject and im too young to remember but ref a pic of a newspaper cutting from the 80s when Lineker played for Leicester in the first div. They only had 10k to a game against a wolves. 30k now and I'd imagine most are season tickets. Everton v villa 15k. Birmingham 9k. That was top flight, and it was standing

Check out crowds at Rotherham, Chesterfield as well as Donny as mentioned above, before they moved. Town get more in now than any of those three did in their old grounds. Also you've mentioned Charlton above - check their crowd at the old Valley in the early 80s - I saw Town win their in a second division game in front of 4k. Town haven't had the bounce in home crowds that many (most) clubs have because Blundell Park is the problem - it is just not acceptable to many people who would watch live sport and still has the spectre of violence in the streets around the ground for local derbies. Some will still remember Leeds  / Stoke / Wednesday  / Blades...BP was just not a nice place to bring kids to a game on many occasions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 71
Garth
July 4, 2019, 10:23pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from grimsby pete

See you there in five years time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 71
White_shorts
July 4, 2019, 10:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -624
Gold Stars: 9
It appears the Freemen still plan to knock down all the houses on Thesiger Walk. I guess that won't be too much of a problem if the homes are not privately owned.

As for car parking, there's around 100 spaces on Garibaldi Street for a start. Orwell Street. Railway Street. Perhaps an arrangement could be made with the Ice House on Victor Street. I don't know if Asda and Tesco would introduce parking charges for customers. You could leave your vehicle in Freshney Place and get a bus to the stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Very Quiet

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.