Garth
July 4, 2019, 3:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from grimsby pete

That would make me 75 mate, I think ( hope ) I might be able to manage that.

I'm 80 Pete so let's hang on in there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 71
pen penfras
July 4, 2019, 3:05pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Ok well I give you Burnley for starters. Check the average gate there prior to them hitting the Prem they have a lower catchment area than us but they do a hell of a lot more community work and they have far more competition from neighbouring Clubs.

Burnley has a huge population around it, although a lot more competition as you say. But my point wasn't that we can't do better, it was that we're actually already well supported compared to most teams that are at our level and where we want to be. Doesn't mean it can't be better, but there isn't likely to be a large untapped population when only a few clubs are doing much better. And most of those were performing significantly better on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 71
RichMariner
July 4, 2019, 3:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
About 10 years ago I worked in Castleford and had to travel around the area to other small towns including Featherstone. It's proper rugby league heartland.

Anyone who has been to Featherstone will know it's about the size of Louth. Castleford is the same size as Cleethorpes in terms of population. But on match days it seems everyone in the town goes to their games.

In a world where you can't ignore football, it doesn't really register with the folk of Castleford and Featherstone (and Wakefield, and a few other places). Rugby League is just something you get behind and play if you grow up there. Football's a laugh; rugby league is the real stuff.

People often look down their noses at places like Castleford - you know, mining towns fallen on hard times; proper working class areas, but I admire their spirit and it does remind me of home - we lost our industry, just as they did. We have a lot in common.

Castleford and Featherstone are the cornerstones of their communities. They are everything, and they're everywhere. Kids just want to go to matches, and play, and the clubs involve them. Their allegiance is locked in as early as possible and that's it - the clubs have got them for life.

They're not after glory. They could go and support Leeds, or Wigan, but they don't because their local club is part of their identity. Admittedly, RL and football aren't directly comparable, but despite being such small places they have this incredible ability to galvanise the towns and bring in the crowds, even if there's no glory to be had - and I think there's a lot we can learn from that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 71
barrattstandman
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 17
I see no car parking facilities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 71
pen penfras

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Grim74

The population of Cleethorpes should be included as we are two towns merged in effect.

Agreed, but I looked at the teams above us and Crewe have Nantwich, Winsford and a few other towns around them. Tranmere have the whole of the Wirral. Carlisle have a huge area with few clubs around. The same argument could be made for those.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 71
Heisenberg
July 4, 2019, 3:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,815
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Grim74

The population of Cleethorpes should be included as we are two towns merged in effect.

Not if you ask people who consider themselves 'Owls' before Mariners.  I'll let this one go, one day.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 71
Ipswin
July 4, 2019, 3:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from barrattstandman

Would you want to leave your car anywhere near Freeman Street

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 71
mariner91
July 4, 2019, 3:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from pen penfras

Agreed, but I looked at the teams above us and Crewe have Nantwich, Winsford and a few other towns around them. Tranmere have the whole of the Wirral. Carlisle have a huge area with few clubs around. The same argument could be made for those.

Give over. Prenton Park is 6 miles from Anfield and Goodison Park. Two of the biggest clubs in the country. The closest ground of a team worth talking about to Blundell Park is Scunny's which is almost 30 miles. There's no way you can possibly compare the potential catchment area for Tranmere and Town.

As for the Crewe comparison, Nantwich is about the same size as Louth and Winsford is smaller than Cleethorpes. You can try and spin it all you like but the board should be doing better with the catchment area and size of population that Town have. North East Lincolnshire alone has a population of 160,000 and the east coast of Lincolnshire is much closer to Grimsby than any other FL club, if done right that area should be entirely Town supporting. Added on to that teams like Tranmere and Crewe are close to some of the biggest clubs in the country, the nearest Premier League team to Town is Sheffield United which is 70 miles away and let's be honest, they'll only be there for one season.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 71
psgmariner
July 4, 2019, 3:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from barrattstandman

Get the train to the redeveloped Grimsby Docks station or there are loads of buses down Cleethorpes Road and Freemo. Not encouraging everyone to drive there is a good thing in my opinion.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 71
nightrider
July 4, 2019, 4:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
You'd think we could get 8-9000 (it would be nice) if we were in the top half, add a few thousand more for championship plus the extra away following. But we don't. Normally 5500 in the championship, give or take a thousand. Some good entertainment/football in the 90s
I live 100mile away so seldom go to home games but judging by gates over the last 30years, people aren't interested
You could almost give the tickets away, and we have done in the past, and we'd struggle to sell more tickets

1995 A good time to be a town fan. Big game i remember against Charlton to decide who would go top -
Att 6800

Off subject and im too young to remember but ref a pic of a newspaper cutting from the 80s when Lineker played for Leicester in the first div. They only had 10k to a game against a wolves. 30k now and I'd imagine most are season tickets. Everton v villa 15k. Birmingham 9k. That was top flight, and it was standing

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Very Quiet

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.