Stadium
January 5, 2019, 8:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from ginnywings

If you hang around long enough, he will tell you what subjects you are allowed to have an opinion on.

HaHa.
If only but its a football internet forum.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 86
ginnywings
January 5, 2019, 8:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 86
RoboCod
January 5, 2019, 8:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from chicaneuk
What an amazing game. So proud of the effort put in by everyone on the pitch... they played their arses off. Absolutely amazing performance and made Palace look distinctly average. Hard not to imagine what could have been with 11 men.

Support magnificent as well. The singing never stopped all game. Incredible. Stopping off for a curry in Caterham now and heading back home!

Just like to reinforce this view, easy to get sidetracked with the VAR thing. What a performance. Every player fighting for the team.
MJ has really got these guys playing and looking super fit, they looked far from ragged at the whistle despite the missing player.

I'm still recovering from my Xmas OD'ing of mince pies and beer and I was gasping for air for them, the new regime looks to be paying off in all departments.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 86
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2019, 9:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Stadium

Well I think most people would agree he did get it wrong-it was a red card.
Criticise the ref if you wish but VAR called the offence correctly.

The referee saw it as a yellow card offence, taking into account the context of the game. It was a foul, due entirely to the Place players quick feet, but  the referee had a full view of it and in his opinion, it was a yellow.

VAR will ruin the game if it starts overturning things that the referee has clearly seen, passed a decision on and allowed play to continue.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 86
barralad
January 5, 2019, 9:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Isn't the issue around whether the ref. could decide to ignore the VAR official? Would he have been in trouble if when presented post match with the "evidence" he chose to ignore it.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 86
MuddyWaters
January 5, 2019, 9:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad
Isn't the issue around whether the ref. could decide to ignore the VAR official? Would he have been in trouble if when presented post match with the "evidence" he chose to ignore it.

I’m sure, like me, you remember FA Cup games full of atmosphere and passion. That will end forever if VAR makes refs officiate via a text book. The timing of the challenge and the context of the game must play a part in decision making otherwise the Cup will die.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 86
Bigdog
January 5, 2019, 9:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

The referee saw it as a yellow card offence, taking into account the context of the game. It was a foul, due entirely to the Place players quick feet, but  the referee had a full view of it and in his opinion, it was a yellow.

VAR will ruin the game if it starts overturning things that the referee has clearly seen, passed a decision on and allowed play to continue.

Taking into account the context of any game, the only way VAR can work is if the referee himself reviews the footage..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 86
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2019, 9:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

There seems to be far too many unanswered questions re VAR altogether. I never thought it would be used to turn a yellow card into a red, when the referee has clearly seen the offence, acted upon it and play continued. Stupid. Why have a referee at all?

The referee wasn't even allowed to see the tackle again - it was another ref in front of a computer screen who overturned the decision. But that is the point of referees - they give a decision as they see fit; one sees yellow, one sees red - who is correct? We will now need a second VAR judge to give a casting vote the way we are going.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 86
barralad
January 5, 2019, 9:14pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m sure, like me, you remember FA Cup games full of atmosphere and passion. That will end forever if VAR makes refs officiate via a text book. The timing of the challenge and the context of the game must play a part in decision making otherwise the Cup will die.

Oh I don't disagree with any of what you say. I think it puts refs in an impossible position. It will be a very brave ref who goes against hard video evidence. That though is as much sympathy as he gets because he was shocking for 90 minutes..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 86
RoboCod
January 5, 2019, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
My concern is that there was almost a minute of football played until the ref pulled the game up. Only because their player kicked it into touch, presumably as he thought Townsend was actually injured did the ref confer with VAR.
Had the game continued for another 5 minutes without the ball going dead, does the ref eventually pull the game up and send a player **off?**
VAR in these situations is not going to help the ebb and flow of the game, it's all very unnatural to run games in this way.

** EDIT** And if that player should score a goal in that 5 minute period, then get his marching orders??  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.