9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mikey_345
January 5, 2019, 8:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
What I don’t like about VAR is that the man in the middle isn’t actually in charge. Some fella in a room god knows where can influence the game.

Many other countries actually get the ref to check his own decision.

When you have it the way it was tonight two people may have seen that two different ways, who’s right?

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 86
hampshiremariner
January 5, 2019, 8:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
I've seen Atkinson a lot at Saints and he is a very authoritarian referee. Does not seem to strike up any rapport with the players and he can make some very strange decisions. But if our own supporters say it was a red, then that's it really. Great shame for the boy. Even Roy Hodgson was sympathetic and full of praise for us.
In all truth, however, we didn't need a replay. We've had a hard Xmas and need to get the injures sorted and the lads need to recharge their batteries. The spirit in the side is the best it's been for a long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 86
MeanwoodMariner
January 5, 2019, 8:07pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Stadium

The foul was correctly deemed to be a red card offence
VAR overruled the yellow card decision which was incorrect-that's the purpose of the system.

Correct? It's a judgement call. Atkinson judged it yellow, as would many other refs. Many or even most would have said it's red, fair enough. But to say that Atkinson got is so badly wrong he had to be overruled by an external official is a big claim and one I disagree with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 86
chicaneuk
January 5, 2019, 8:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
What an amazing game. So proud of the effort put in by everyone on the pitch... they played their arses off. Absolutely amazing performance and made Palace look distinctly average. Hard not to imagine what could have been with 11 men.

Support magnificent as well. The singing never stopped all game. Incredible. Stopping off for a curry in Caterham now and heading back home!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 86
Stadium
January 5, 2019, 8:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Correct? It's a judgement call. Atkinson judged it yellow, as would many other refs. Many or even most would have said it's red, fair enough. But to say that Atkinson got is so badly wrong he had to be overruled by an external official is a big claim and one I disagree with.

Well I think most people would agree he did get it wrong-it was a red card.
Criticise the ref if you wish but VAR called the offence correctly.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 86
Jaws
January 5, 2019, 8:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
The issue was Townsend's gamesmanship in the first minute, rolling around trying to get Fox punished. There was always going to be a player that needed a minute or two to settle down. A player at that level should know this.

No-one intends to hurt anyone in the first minute, near the half-way line. A booking would have sufficed - it was mis-timed and caused no harm. Probably only happened because Fox was probably buzzing having just started a match at a premier league ground.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 86
ginnywings
January 5, 2019, 8:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Palace beat Man City on their own patch 2-3, so we are better than Man City.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 86
RoboCod
January 5, 2019, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Stadium

The player didn't request a replay & the ref cant request one.
VAR would have contacted the ref to inform him of the red card offence.

The game seemed to go on for some time after, with Townsend moaning and harrying the ref. We see much worse challenges week in week out, often unpunished but only in VAR games will these actually be punished, which seems to be bordering on a 2-tier refereeing system.
It's also worth noting that the early 'limiter' challenge is still popular, the crunching tackle/foul in the first 2 or 3 minutes that doesn't get a card as the ref (mostly) sees the game as in its early, settling down stages. Be interesting to see how VAR may handle that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 86
MeanwoodMariner
January 5, 2019, 8:17pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Stadium

Well I think most people would agree he did get it wrong-it was a red card.
Criticise the ref if you wish but VAR called the offence correctly.

You're still missing the point. I'm not criticising the ref, I'm criticising the fact that his judgement that it was only a yellow was not so spectacularly wrong that it required overruling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 86
ginnywings
January 5, 2019, 8:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

You're still missing the point. I'm not criticising the ref, I'm criticising the fact that his judgement that it was only a yellow was not so spectacularly wrong that it required overruling.

If you hang around long enough, he will tell you what subjects you are allowed to have an opinion on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.