9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Teestogreen
January 5, 2019, 9:21pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Future refs - why? Why be one? You are going to be torn apart by VAR! Incentive - unless the money is irresistible?

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 86
Hagrid
January 5, 2019, 9:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Pisses me off that you get a yellow in a game and the fa cant up it to a red after if it was a red card offence. But var can? After the yellow has been shown. Cruel
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 86
RichMariner
January 5, 2019, 9:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I've seen the replay and, I must admit, as difficult as it is to accept, it's probably a red.

However, he looks like he brushed Townsend's shin. He'd have barely felt it. No need to pretend he was hurt by it, but that's what modern-day Premier League footballers do these days.

Martin Atkinson was on the field and close to the incident. He saw it and judged it a yellow card.

I think that's why it's difficult to accept.

But what a brilliant performance by every one of those heroes in black and white stripes. They gave it absolutely everything. Don't think I'd have been prouder if we actually held out for the draw.

In a way, that goal doesn't really change anything. We were simply magnificent.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 86
ginnywings
January 5, 2019, 9:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
On balance, having viewed it again with less emotion, it was a red i think, which means Atkinson got that wrong too, along with just about everything else. He was shocking.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 86
Kennyh
January 5, 2019, 9:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +48
Technically, it was a red card, but common sense should have prevailed. The referee should have determined that the game was only 90 seconds in and that it was one of Grimsby's biggest games in years, where the players were obviously fired up to give everything. Townsend going down like a sack of potatoes did not help. Sensible decision would have been yellow card with a stern warning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 86
RichMariner
January 5, 2019, 9:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Not sure if he was shocking or just officiating the match to Premier League standards.

I'm not saying Premier League standards are necessarily better standards. They're just different.

Palace players are already familiar with them. We're not. Martin Atkinson wouldn't admit it but I'm sure he felt a duty to protect Palace players more than any of our lot because, you know, he's a Premier League referee.

One of our players crocking Zaha would be a bigger story in the press than if Scott Dann crocked Wes Thomas.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 86
GrimRob
January 5, 2019, 9:55pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Thought it might be a red was my first reaction. The var rules do not take into account the fans in the stadiun. A lot of alcohol was consumed and bottles were thrown. Had one of them hit a person it could have had severe repercussions. It needs to be clearer and we see it for ourselves. After that town were magnificent. Embleton had a great chance at the end, made space for himself and hit it just over. We could have nicked a draw, but you can't argue with the result. In terms of tension it was right up there for the whole 90 mins.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 86
Gaffer58
January 5, 2019, 9:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from ginnywings
On balance, having viewed it again with less emotion, it was a red i think, which means Atkinson got that wrong too, along with just about everything else. He was shocking.

So why didn't VAR get used to "correct' Atkinsons mistakes, or weren't they in favour of the premier club!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 86
Mikey_345
January 5, 2019, 9:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,271
Gold Stars: 95
I do sometimes wonder if the premier league and the rest of English football are two different sports!

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 86
Mariner93er
January 5, 2019, 10:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
The VAR debate could go on forever. Lets just be proud of the boys, what a day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.