9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
January 6, 2019, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from buckstown
I felt the ref gave them a lot but when I checked the BBC site this morning it was 11 fouls against Town and 10 against Palace

That possibly proves your point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
mimma
January 6, 2019, 1:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Why didn't the VAR ref review Saha's slap in the face of Thomas?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
moosey_club
January 6, 2019, 3:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from buckstown
I felt the ref gave them a lot but when I checked the BBC site this morning it was 11 fouls against Town and 10 against Palace

is that the same stats that say Palace only had 61% possession ??
If we had 39%  possession yesterday 38% of that must have been with McKeown  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
RichMariner
January 6, 2019, 3:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Moss: I've just had a quick look at that challenge on Townsend.

Atkinson: Yes, I saw it. I was five yards away. Happy that it's a yellow.

Moss: Well I've slowed it down. He's quite high. Catches Townsend on the shin, just below the knee.

Atkinson: I know. I did see it. You suggesting it should be red? Would like to take another look at it.

Moss: No need. I've seen it and I'm saying it's a red.

Atkinson: Hmm. It was the first tackle of the game. The pitch was watered just before kick-off. It's this guy's biggest game of his career.

Moss: Follow the letter of the law and send him off.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
gaz57
January 6, 2019, 4:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
What's done is done and we can't change it but surely to run a competition in a fair and legitimate way
the rules have to be the same for everyone. Most of all the rules should be applied in the same way for all
taking part, this is not the case with this year's FA cup  because some games are played on grounds with VAR
while others are not. Well done to the lads they did us proud and I for one am enjoying watching Town knowing there is a lot more to come . UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
forza ivano
January 6, 2019, 5:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,167
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Mariner93er
Shout out to Jolley's tactics too, man marking all over the pitch. It's a tactic he used against Malmo and there's a really good video of him explaining it on youtube under coaches voice.

Good shout. I watched it before jolley was appointed and was convinced by him even more. Brilliant to watch it again in light of yesterday's performance. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone who's got 7 minutes spare. He must be so frustrated that a he didn't have the right players in defensive positions and b fox screwed his whole plan up. Wonder if he might use the same ideas when we are playing Lincoln, mk and fgr.
Apart from that do you think he learnt anything else from yesterday? The new Southampton boss opined that he could stomach a defeat if he learnt things from the defeat.
I don't know if there is much, we know that they've got great heart and committment, that embleton is a class act, thatThomas does a Stirling job on his own and that mckeown is a great shot stopper, but the fact that rhj won't ever play centre back, Woolford and rose won't ever be full backs again means that he can't have learnt much new.
Maybe the main gain will be pyscholgical especially with the young players. Hopefully it will give cardwell, Clifton and rhj the confidence to push on again, knowing that they've held their own against premiership players.
Any other new positives other than these?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
Mariner93er
January 6, 2019, 5:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I believe it's the first time he's used the tactic, which is an incredibly hard one to execute. If nothing else, it must give him confidence that his ideas are getting across and we can be tactically malleable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
Mariner Timsky
January 7, 2019, 11:06am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from RichMariner
Moss: I've just had a quick look at that challenge on Townsend.

Atkinson: Yes, I saw it. I was five yards away. Happy that it's a yellow.

Moss: Well I've slowed it down. He's quite high. Catches Townsend on the shin, just below the knee.

Atkinson: I know. I did see it. You suggesting it should be red? Would like to take another look at it.

Moss: No need. I've seen it and I'm saying it's a red.

Atkinson: Hmm. It was the first tackle of the game. The pitch was watered just before kick-off. It's this guy's biggest game of his career.

Moss: Follow the letter of the law and send him off.

And that is exactly the issue the VAR can freeze and pause and zoom in and slow it down and all that until he has no other choice but to deem it as a red card offence and over rule the decision by the ref on the pitch - who now lets be honest is not really in charge if VAR is involved

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
Mariner Timsky
January 7, 2019, 11:14am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
A great away day overall - everything about GTFC was right , , , the players, , , the management and us the fans - so much to be proud of

If we can get through this month with some points on the board and not too far from the top 7 it could make for a very very interesting business end to the season

I enjoyed crossing the road from The Prince George and shaking hands with a load of the Aalst lads , , ,absolute top lads them

Met up with some fellow Mariners from Northampton on the train down and all top guys , , , look forward to seeing you all on an away day soon!

The palace fans seemed a genuine bunch as well all spoke well of us our team and our fans and our fish and chips!!

Proper old school footy stadium as well great to see it so packed and so noisy - my ears are still ringing now!

Love my town and my club - proud to be a Mariner

UTM
GTID

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
Northbank Mariner
January 7, 2019, 12:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

And that is exactly the issue the VAR can freeze and pause and zoom in and slow it down and all that until he has no other choice but to deem it as a red card offence and over rule the decision by the ref on the pitch - who now lets be honest is not really in charge if VAR is involved

And there's the other problem with what happened Saturday....VAR doesn't over rule the referees decision, it just informs him to have a rethink and ultimately the referees decision is still final depending on how he reviews the VAR advice...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.