Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 334 Guests

New Stadium Rumour

This thread currently has 117,681 views. Print
79 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
August 27, 2018, 7:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from jimgtfc
Bit of a brainstorm idea, and I’m open to having it shot down but could a space saving idea be to have parking underneath the stadium itself. I’m sure it could be done structurally (is it Ajax that have a road under theirs?) but would probably be expensive.

OR

Have the pitch on top of the car park like Monaco .

Question for Rob who is convinced the site is not big enough,

Can you inform us of the size we require against the size available,?

Having worked on those flats for over 3 years I am sure a ground would fit.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 789
ska face
August 27, 2018, 8:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,655
Gold Stars: 847
Lack of space is obviously the main issue, in that any decent sized site incorporating the land from the flats is hampered by a large block of residential dwellings between Kent Street and Albert Street. To do anything worthwhile in the area would need council intervention and CPOs, which would be costly and may be a long, protracted process.

[img]https://s33.postimg.cc/72i6nvpq7/cpo.jpg[/img]

Without removing the residential area (orange), you've a site of about 5.8acres, but if you do remove the dwellings (looks to be about 70 in total?), as well as incorporating the Agra site (red), that bumps the site up to 18.7acres.

If you knocked the market down and extended the site all the way down to Duncombe Street, taking in the car park and old ABC Cinema, you've a site of roughly 24 acres.

[img]https://s33.postimg.cc/t4d2bb4n3/site.jpg[/img]

The thing is though, the process is infinitely more difficult than finding the right amount of land and parachuting a new ground in, and this is where the hurdles pop up and costs start to sky rocket. It's buying the land, treating it, Section 106s, public realm improvements, highways and access, the other uses that are going to make it a 7-day income-generating venture - even if it's just a set of 6-a-side pitches, look at how much space they take up.

I'd love it Kev Keegan style if the club, council, business and even Central Govt could out their heads together and find a way of delivering what would be the biggest development in the town for generations, but I just think it's too big a challenge at the moment for a town without a pot to urine in.

What CANNOT be allowed to continue, though, is keeping the fans in the dark. We aren't just fans, we're residents, stakeholders, tax-payers, communities, the past, present and future of this area and a huge voice locally - whether this is in terms of speaking to friends, family and colleagues around the town, or in lobbying councilors and local business to come together on this and show some appetite to improve the town, and not just collect signatures to get the grass cut.

The whole thing needs a refresh. The telegraph are still referencing a study put together in 2015, and the club are still supposedly looking at a multi-site, housing/leisure/retail/training/football/bmx hybrid plan that the current developer has no idea how to deliver. I think the current proposal for Freeman St is a public square on the site around the old flats? That's got disaster written all over it, who the intercourse's gonna use that? Time to think big.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 789
Cloudy
August 27, 2018, 8:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Interesting Ska
May I ask if you, or anyone else, knows if the houses in the orange area are privately owned or council/housing association?
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 789
MarinerMart
August 27, 2018, 8:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +209
Knock down the lhs of Freeman st (looking from riby sq) from riby squate to the market.  There are no worthwhile shops or pubs and some of the buildings have been condemned around the tje old council tower block.  That will create plenty of room.
That whole are wants flattening and starting again.
Blank canvas

I work in that area loads of empty derelect premises. they are welcome to knock down where I work near by lol.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 789
golfer
August 27, 2018, 8:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
O.K. I give up  Let's knock a few mansions down in Humberston Avenue and please everyone-it would be more viable than trying to build a stadium down Freeman Street-I thought MY brain had gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 789
ska face
August 27, 2018, 9:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,655
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Cloudy
Interesting Ska
May I ask if you, or anyone else, knows if the houses in the orange area are privately owned or council/housing association?

Not sure myself, looks to be mixed tenure.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 789
Mrs Doyle
August 27, 2018, 9:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Are grants currently available for regenerating inner city sites bringing town centres back to life just a thought?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 789
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2018, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Freemo is a fantastic idea but the logistics of getting all of the land & building owners to sell their real estate at the same time is unrealistic. If, and it's a big if, anywhere other than PP is to be developed, it would surely be to buy from a sole owner and the only one I could think of would be dockland belonging to ABP.
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 789
ginnywings
August 27, 2018, 9:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
As much as i would love a new stadium in Freeman Street, i just can't see it myself. Even if there was enough room, the logistics and costs involved would make it impossibly prohibitive.

It's much easier, quicker, and infinitely cheaper to build on virgin land like PP, than it is to develop a site containing many homes and businesses of varying sorts. PP already has a road running alongside, and all you need is to add a couple of slip roads and off you go.

As others have mentioned, i wish the club would just come out and tell us what the hell is going on. The silence has been deafening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 789
lew chaterleys lover
August 27, 2018, 9:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
As much as i would love a new stadium in Freeman Street, i just can't see it myself. Even if there was enough room, the logistics and costs involved would make it impossibly prohibitive.

It's much easier, quicker, and infinitely cheaper to build on virgin land like PP, than it is to develop a site containing many homes and businesses of varying sorts. PP already has a road running alongside, and all you need is to add a couple of slip roads and off you go.

As others have mentioned, i wish the club would just come out and tell us what the hell is going on. The silence has been deafening.

The club don't have the money for PP though Ginny.

I think Fenty thought if he could get the land given to him, and get planning permission on it he would be quids in.

A developer may be interested, but not interested enough to pay for a £20 million stadium up front! It would be many years before they got any of their investment back so I guess that is why it has probably hit the buffers.
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 789
79 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.