Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 279 Guests

New Stadium Rumour

This thread currently has 117,746 views. Print
79 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
August 29, 2018, 11:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Over 200 posts now on a thread based on the rumour that PP is dead in the water, surely the club have seen this by now and should at least give us some sort of an update after such a long time of hearing nowt !

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 789
realist
August 29, 2018, 11:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Nandos is garbage. Thank god they didn't come here. Lets aspire to better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 789
mimma
August 30, 2018, 12:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
What I would like to see is for the council to buy up the top end of Freeman Street and flatten the lot.

Relocate the Fishing Heritage Centre there and include the Doughty collection and the fishing memorial. For those that don't know, the Doughty collection is a large collection of artefacts that was bequeathed to the town to be displayed for all to enjoy. It is a fantastic collection including many scale models of ships and trawlers which is all we have left of our proud trawler fleet of bygone years. I often use to go to the town hall where parts of it was displayed, and marvel at it. It is currently gathering dust in storage somewhere at some cost because the council have nowhere to display it.

Put the museum at the top end, against Cleethorpes Road, opposite the docks, put the stadium where the flats are. Hopefully this would attract restaurants and cafes and other investment thus regenerating the whole area.

All that is needed is some joined up thinking and a bit of foresight.

That's the end of that then!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 789
BeijingMariner
August 30, 2018, 12:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from mimma
What I would like to see is for the council to buy up the top end of Freeman Street and flatten the lot.

Relocate the Fishing Heritage Centre there and include the Doughty collection and the fishing memorial. For those that don't know, the Doughty collection is a large collection of artefacts that was bequeathed to the town to be displayed for all to enjoy. It is a fantastic collection including many scale models of ships and trawlers which is all we have left of our proud trawler fleet of bygone years. I often use to go to the town hall where parts of it was displayed, and marvel at it. It is currently gathering dust in storage somewhere at some cost because the council have nowhere to display it.

Put the museum at the top end, against Cleethorpes Road, opposite the docks, put the stadium where the flats are. Hopefully this would attract restaurants and cafes and other investment thus regenerating the whole area.

All that is needed is some joined up thinking and a bit of foresight.

That's the end of that then!

I think this is a great idea but it still isn't enough. What the area (especially Grimsby) needs and has done since the late 80's is jobs. Unless fishing comes back or something of that kind of scale is begun in  the town, the problem will remain the same, imho. Remove the jobs, the traditions, the stories, the hierarchies of respect and pride walks. Once that happens getting it back is one hell of a task. Grimsby and Cleethorpes people are no better or worse than any other townsfolk, but the town itself needs real jobs. Retail won't do it, being a university centre won't do it, the wind boom didn't do it. I don't have an answer to the lack of jobs, obviously, but it is 100% about jobs, if you ask me. If there was a way of linking an enabling development with a new venture that provided jobs, then the museums et al would be the perfect accompaniment to complete the picture. I often wonder why the council don't outsource the 'ideas' job to the community; clearly they can't do it after decades of being in power.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 223 - 789
1mickylyons
August 30, 2018, 7:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from realist
Cant believe the ignorance in these ladt two posts. Hung council? Rubbish Two councils. Rubbish again. Been a unitary authority since Humberside was abolished. Do you two actually know anything about this area?

Ok 19 Labour 18 Tories good luck with that in terms of agreeing anything locally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 789
1mickylyons
August 30, 2018, 7:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from barralad

You probably aren't trying to make a political point here but for clarity I should point out that the council in 2005 was a Conservative/Lib. Dem. Coalition. It begs the question why is the make up of the area such that politicians of all parties find it difficult to apply themselves to things that ordinary lay folk see as obvious.

realist will love this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 789
realist
August 30, 2018, 8:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Ok 19 Labour 18 Tories good luck with that in terms of agreeing anything locally.

The council is run on the cabinet basis that makes all the decisions. Everh member of the cabinet is labour so everything goes through. That is why this town is bad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 789
realist
August 30, 2018, 8:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

realist will love this

During the coaltion we saw massive improvements throughout the borough. I have asked the current opposition cojncillors to forget their differences and unite again but they would sooner see the town ruined than do something positive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 789
diehardmariner
August 30, 2018, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from BeijingMariner

I think this is a great idea but it still isn't enough. What the area (especially Grimsby) needs and has done since the late 80's is jobs. Unless fishing comes back or something of that kind of scale is begun in  the town, the problem will remain the same, imho. Remove the jobs, the traditions, the stories, the hierarchies of respect and pride walks. Once that happens getting it back is one hell of a task. Grimsby and Cleethorpes people are no better or worse than any other townsfolk, but the town itself needs real jobs. Retail won't do it, being a university centre won't do it, the wind boom didn't do it. I don't have an answer to the lack of jobs, obviously, but it is 100% about jobs, if you ask me. If there was a way of linking an enabling development with a new venture that provided jobs, then the museums et al would be the perfect accompaniment to complete the picture. I often wonder why the council don't outsource the 'ideas' job to the community; clearly they can't do it after decades of being in power.

The fishing industry will never return to what it was, for a start we no longer have the ability to fish like we did 70 odd years ago.  Much like how former pit villages would no longer be able to mine for coal, the trade has died because of neglect and lack of investment/support.  It's a disgrace but we can't wallow on it and hope for former glories to return.

Which is why this area needs an alternative source of jobs, income and hope.  You say retail won't do it and you're right, alone it won't.  But tourism is what I honestly believe will make this area vibrant again.  We already have something that drags people into the area in Cleethorpes Beach/Fitties area.  It's great down there but 1) we don't make enough of it and 2) it's seasonal.   We have to make more of what's on our doorstep as our selling point.  That area around Riby Square has two major selling points.  The water and the sheer amount of space that could be created.  The post about putting the museums up there is spot on, part of a complete change of what the area looks like and what it delivers.  I go back to the point about Grimsby/Cleethorpes and we don't benefit from passing trade, so make it that people want to come here in the first place.  People travel from all around the North of England to go to Xscape which is little more than some big units just off the M62.  Why wouldn't they travel here for something that's bigger and better?  I don't believe that everyone goes to places like Xspace just because they're on their way to Leeds or Manchester and decide to pop in.  People make trips to go there.

Private Message
Reply: 228 - 789
golfer
August 30, 2018, 9:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 116
It doesn't really matter where we have the stadium as long as the road leading to it is made of imitation marble slabs haphazardly strewn, lamp posts from Pisa ,water fountains gushing out on match days,and lifebelts in every stand in anticipation of the predicted floods. Can we rely on anybody to get it right ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 789
79 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.