Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 216 Guests

New Stadium Rumour

This thread currently has 117,151 views. Print
79 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
August 29, 2018, 9:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from ska face
Exactly. It’s excrement or bust for Grimsby at the minute when places like Barnsley, Hull, Wakefield, Lincoln are all having tens of millions invested in town centre regeneration and we’re here with our thumbs up our arses.

The people around here have been held back for decades by bungling Council officials spewing money on things that don`t matter or make anything better like the block paving and Meridian Point or the demolition of Scartho Baths.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 789
louth_in_the_south
August 29, 2018, 10:14am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
If only diehardmariner was in charge of the local government....

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 789
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2018, 10:28am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Yep. On the Fishy we’re used to the idea of us running the football club. But we’ve become complacent. We should be setting our sights higher. We should run NELC too!

(PS I agree DHM)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 789
diehardmariner
August 29, 2018, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Nah, I'd only fritter the money on high class hookers and Class A Drugs*

*Ok, Haribo.
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 789
1mickylyons
August 29, 2018, 11:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

In all seriousness dhm is saying what thousands of fed up residents have been saying for over 20 years.Problem is we have a hung Council which means one party blocks the other and at a General election we get Labour in Grimsby and Conservative in Clps then an inevitable Impasse regarding anything of importance.It`s not good enough and it`s holding back the area and has been for decades.Everybody has a go at Fenty regarding the stadium but pretty sure this new ground vision actually started around 1988 long before him and he appears to have got far closer than his predecessors? Mr Fenty in wanting to build a new stadium should have been told day one what he could have and where by the Council unless he was footing the bill and even then he would have needed there backing with the planning.They have led him,the fans and anyone else involved a merry dance for 30 year`s with BS feasibility studies.ADF who whilst much maligned by the likes of me actually said probably 15 year`s ago IF the football club want a new ground it should be in the Freeman St /Docks area and that would get unanimous Council support. I find it strange that comment wasn`t leapt on at the time by GTFC although possibly they did reply saying something along the lines of the feasibility study say`s Great Coates is the best available site? This Council needs to be providing answers and the 5-15k GTFC supporting voters locally need to be asking the questions
Where can we have a ground and when?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 789
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 29, 2018, 12:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Will echo the above as was just thinking the same.

Surely it's in Grimsby councils best interest to move the ground into their constituency? More rates/tax etc to claim from the club, potential for new business' to invest in the area.

Only in this day and age, could the two councils not see the prospect of what is achievable. Admittedly, I always thought great Coates/freemo were the best ideas (or somewhere that utilises the a180) but was more than happy with the notion that any new ground is better. Now, am not too sure on that.

So, please, will either  fenty/the club/the telegraph etc please give us an update of where we are with regards to it all.

Or, maybe the cynic in me that fenty is holding on until the value of the club increases, the same as a landowner that is seeking planning permission.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 789
realist
August 29, 2018, 12:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,686
Gold Stars: 41
Cant believe the ignorance in these ladt two posts. Hung council? Rubbish Two councils. Rubbish again. Been a unitary authority since Humberside was abolished. Do you two actually know anything about this area?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 789
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 29, 2018, 12:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from realist
Cant believe the ignorance in these ladt two posts. Hung council? Rubbish Two councils. Rubbish again. Been a unitary authority since Humberside was abolished. Do you two actually know anything about this area?

I moved away some 25 years ago.
And couldn't quite care about the councils, am
More interested in the future of the football club tbh

All I've questioned is the apparent short sightedness of all those involved. We, AS A CLUB, are being allowed to fall by the wayside yet again.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 789
chrissy
August 29, 2018, 12:36pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Certain people might think they own the club but they are wrong the club belongs to us all,

So the fans and the town should have more of an input and should be informed on a regular basis.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 789
Grim up north
August 29, 2018, 12:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from diehardmariner

The whole idea of a development at the top of Freeman Street is to reclaim that area back for the people of North East Lincolnshire.  It wouldn't/shouldn't be just a identikit stadium dumped where the flats are and then fans have the benefit of getting some frozen ready meals from Farmfoods after the game.  It would be unrecognisable from what it is today.  

I cannot stress enough how important I believe that the regeneration of that area is to the Town itself.  We are incredibly fortunate to have an area with that much potential in it, from the pumping station at the Riverhead right up to the boundaries of the Estuary.  Look at the regeneration that other towns and cities have done around their waterways, then look at what we've not done.   Think beyond the derelict and decaying buildings around there, think of what could be.   If you get chance drive through the docks and look around the water area where the boats and yachts are near Ross House.  It's bloody beautiful and that's in its current state, imagine what we could do with the whole stretch of the Estuary?  

I know the argument is that the land around the docks is ABP owned but I cannot believe that a huge business like ABP have no interest in making the best use of their land, especially when it would make a profit as opposed to doing absolutely nothing at present.   A forward thinking council will get them on board and make this work.

If anything like this is to work it has to be all-in, no exceptions.  The council are wasting time, money and energy in things like the Sea View Street regeneration, it doesn't need it!  There's absolutely no benefit to anyone from it.  The focus should be East Marsh/Riby Square and then carry that right through up to the North Prom at Cleethorpes.  That's the gateway to the area, that's where the money would be generated and that's where jobs would be made.  A half-arsed attempt at regeneration by putting some cheap social housing up and a few concrete parks will do little other than create building jobs for a few years, we need to think longer term than that.

There is so much potential there that it's painful when our own council seem unaware of it.  

Stadium goes up at Peaks Parkway and within ten years it'll be surrounded by soulless housing estates with absolutely no potential for future development and the opportunity has gone.   Build the stadium and the whole regeneration development at Riby Square/Freeman Street and you give new life to this area.

I Grew up not far from Freemo but to be fair moving forward I would like to bring family anf friends from away to a venue similar to Rotherhams in pleasant surroundings where you could have say  a meal beforehand and views more pleasing to the eye and I dont see how this would be achieved at Freemo. We struggle to convince people new to the town that it's not a S***hole at the best of times and even with bottomless pockets and the backing of a Euromillion winner you would still struggle to achieve this here.

A guy I work with has a boat moored at the docks and said as a Londoner if this was down south it would all be developed but your not going to attract the investment needed in our location sadly.

Only my point of view and I understand people wanting Freemo / docks but not for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 789
79 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.