Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 279 Guests

New Stadium Rumour

This thread currently has 117,602 views. Print
79 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
monkeyboy
August 28, 2018, 6:51am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Look around Grimsby as a whole, there are loads of places to build a stadium.
people have got it in there heads it has to be in A180 corridor, why? there plenty of roads into Grimsby.
A lot of clubs would travel through Louth way or through Caister so mayybe look at sites  on those routes?

The land next to Morriosns for an example is is huge and im sure Strawson the farmer would sell for the right price.
This has always been about money with this stadium and if the right people arent going to get their pockets lined then thats where the issue lays, chairman councilors etc.

Of course it it should be for the town and the fans but as the lack of updates shows it isnt, its for for egos and the wallets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 789
Vance Warner
August 28, 2018, 8:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,780
Gold Stars: 102
A stadium in the centre of town means almost everyone can walk or use public transport to get there. I see traffic as more of an issue for an out of town stadium with only one car park. If we are looking at a home for 100 years then we can't afford to be too reliant on everyone driving there anyway. One of many reasons why a location in the town centre would be ideal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 789
diehardmariner
August 28, 2018, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from ska face
Lack of space is obviously the main issue, in that any decent sized site incorporating the land from the flats is hampered by a large block of residential dwellings between Kent Street and Albert Street. To do anything worthwhile in the area would need council intervention and CPOs, which would be costly and may be a long, protracted process.

[img]https://s33.postimg.cc/72i6nvpq7/cpo.jpg[/img]

Without removing the residential area (orange), you've a site of about 5.8acres, but if you do remove the dwellings (looks to be about 70 in total?), as well as incorporating the Agra site (red), that bumps the site up to 18.7acres.

If you knocked the market down and extended the site all the way down to Duncombe Street, taking in the car park and old ABC Cinema, you've a site of roughly 24 acres.

[img]https://s33.postimg.cc/t4d2bb4n3/site.jpg[/img]

The thing is though, the process is infinitely more difficult than finding the right amount of land and parachuting a new ground in, and this is where the hurdles pop up and costs start to sky rocket. It's buying the land, treating it, Section 106s, public realm improvements, highways and access, the other uses that are going to make it a 7-day income-generating venture - even if it's just a set of 6-a-side pitches, look at how much space they take up.

I'd love it Kev Keegan style if the club, council, business and even Central Govt could out their heads together and find a way of delivering what would be the biggest development in the town for generations, but I just think it's too big a challenge at the moment for a town without a pot to urine in.

What CANNOT be allowed to continue, though, is keeping the fans in the dark. We aren't just fans, we're residents, stakeholders, tax-payers, communities, the past, present and future of this area and a huge voice locally - whether this is in terms of speaking to friends, family and colleagues around the town, or in lobbying councilors and local business to come together on this and show some appetite to improve the town, and not just collect signatures to get the grass cut.

The whole thing needs a refresh. The telegraph are still referencing a study put together in 2015, and the club are still supposedly looking at a multi-site, housing/leisure/retail/training/football/bmx hybrid plan that the current developer has no idea how to deliver. I think the current proposal for Freeman St is a public square on the site around the old flats? That's got disaster written all over it, who the intercourse's gonna use that? Time to think big.

Excellent post with obvious subject knowledge, the point in bold is nailed on.

I've said before that I have been told that the Freeman Street site options is far from off the tables, it wasn't from someone connected to the club or the council directly so I've always treat it with a pinch of salt but it more or less backs up the stuff raised on here.

I was told that the Red area which is the mostly derelict shop units and the Amber residential areas of Thesiger Street/Kent St are included in the overarching plans, but also the whole regeneration vision stretches up as far east as Victor Street and west as Central Hall.  That creates a big old area to work with if true.  As ska points out, there's no point in making a gesture of regeneration there.  If it's going to be done it has to be all in, this would be the regeneration plan for Grimsby with the knock-on coming elsewhere.  The Town centre is dead and is currently kept alive only by lunchtime trade from office buildings, many of which are council.  The plans I was told about was of the council building a super-hub that incorporates the vast majority of their buildings under one roof as part of this regeneration.  The sheer number of workers that would move up to the Riby Square area would breath new life into the area in an instant, freeing up the Town centre to be more of an entertainment based complex.  

I don't know the technicalities of compulsory purchase orders or anything like that, nor indeed how far down the line anyone would be with that.  

Let's put it this way, if money or planning permission wasn't an issue, this site ticks all the boxes for me.  It boosts the area in a way we can only dream of.  Peaks Parkway on the other hand feels a bit like it's just somewhere that we can build the stadium, rather than the best site or any knock on benefits to the area.  

Private Message
Reply: 142 - 789
diehardmariner
August 28, 2018, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from monkeyboy
Look around Grimsby as a whole, there are loads of places to build a stadium.
people have got it in there heads it has to be in A180 corridor, why? there plenty of roads into Grimsby.
A lot of clubs would travel through Louth way or through Caister so mayybe look at sites  on those routes?

The land next to Morriosns for an example is is huge and im sure Strawson the farmer would sell for the right price.
This has always been about money with this stadium and if the right people arent going to get their pockets lined then thats where the issue lays, chairman councilors etc.

Of course it it should be for the town and the fans but as the lack of updates shows it isnt, its for for egos and the wallets.

There's 3 roads into Grimsby:

A16 which then means shoving traffic up a single carriageway through Tollbar/New Waltham and then bottle-necking.
A46 - as above after Lincoln, exception of dual carriage between Laceby and Bradley Crossroads.
A180 - Dual Carriageway from Barnetby Top, motorway before.  The only road where you're not likely to get major gridlock in/out once you've left the built up areas.

We don't want to be shoving any extra traffic down the A roads that then go through the Town.  Can't think of many teams that would come up the A16 here.  Boston, Peterborough, Norwich, Ipswich, Colchester maybe.  Vast majority would come A1 or M1 from the South.  M180 from North or West.

We don't get great away attendances.  We're not talking thousands of extra cars travelling from anywhere.  For the games where there is likely to be an increase the club and local authorities would need to implement park and ride systems.  Examples of the Lincoln games, well advertised that if you're coming in a car from that way on park up and get the free bus to the ground.  Even doing it at Grimsby College would save congestion nearer the ground.  Properly run that could be the case for all games, home and away fans.  College for the A46 - Europarc for the M180.  Buses get priority in and out of the ground, fans are back in their car and on an exit road far quicker than if they parked in a car park and got gridlocked for half an hour.  

Private Message
Reply: 143 - 789
malkamalka
August 28, 2018, 10:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from friskneymariner
Lots of money available in Coastal Communities Grant perhaps Club should be doing research how a new ground could enhance the community by doing outreach work in the west marsh.,.The club needs to appoint someone who is experienced in making grant applications.

This is absolutely the way forward, especially for smaller clubs looking for finance.

The AFL is a model of this type of "community" based structure, as BillO will attest. It is successful because the community is involved from the planning stages, not TOLD what is going to happen whether they like it or not.

Not everybody in a town/city is a football fan, but it's still their town as well, and they need to be shown whats in it for them.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 789
realist
August 28, 2018, 10:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from diehardmariner

Excellent post with obvious subject knowledge, the point in bold is nailed on.

I've said before that I have been told that the Freeman Street site options is far from off the tables, it wasn't from someone connected to the club or the council directly so I've always treat it with a pinch of salt but it more or less backs up the stuff raised on here.

I was told that the Red area which is the mostly derelict shop units and the Amber residential areas of Thesiger Street/Kent St are included in the overarching plans, but also the whole regeneration vision stretches up as far east as Victor Street and west as Central Hall.  That creates a big old area to work with if true.  As ska points out, there's no point in making a gesture of regeneration there.  If it's going to be done it has to be all in, this would be the regeneration plan for Grimsby with the knock-on coming elsewhere.  The Town centre is dead and is currently kept alive only by lunchtime trade from office buildings, many of which are council.  The plans I was told about was of the council building a super-hub that incorporates the vast majority of their buildings under one roof as part of this regeneration.  The sheer number of workers that would move up to the Riby Square area would breath new life into the area in an instant, freeing up the Town centre to be more of an entertainment based complex.  

I don't know the technicalities of compulsory purchase orders or anything like that, nor indeed how far down the line anyone would be with that.  

Let's put it this way, if money or planning permission wasn't an issue, this site ticks all the boxes for me.  It boosts the area in a way we can only dream of.  Peaks Parkway on the other hand feels a bit like it's just somewhere that we can build the stadium, rather than the best site or any knock on benefits to the area.  

The coloured map is a bit misleading. The complete blundell park footprint comfortably fits in the space behind the market with Albert street west and Albion street as the other bounderies. With a bit of creative thinking it would be more than enough space to facilitate everything
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 789
diehardmariner
August 28, 2018, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
What's everything though?

If you're talking stadium with maybe a couple of all-weather pitches and a little bit of car parking, then yeah it is.  

But if, big if, it is going to be site we end up with I think it's going to be far bigger than just a football stadium and a gesture at a community project via some astroturf projects.  

If we just put a ground there and little else that benefits the community, what's the point?  We're benefiting about 4,000 people out of a combined Grimsby/Clee population of about 130,000.   Just over 3%.  Get this right and it could be a game changer for the area, get it wrong and we've lost a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 789
Dan
August 28, 2018, 10:28am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Blundell Park does fit comfortably within the available space:
[img]https://preview.ibb.co/mKoRq9/freeman_street.png[/img]

But there isn't much room to build a bigger stadium or ancillary facilities without also including the Kent Street housing.

It won't happen anyhow, there is no money or vision.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 789
psgmariner
August 28, 2018, 10:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Dan

It won't happy anyhow, there is no money or vision.

Bet you a tenner it does.

Private Message
Reply: 148 - 789
grimsby pete
August 28, 2018, 10:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
How about building the new stadium with a tower block of flats sited at each corner,?

Then anyone living on or above the 4th floor could watch the games for free.

This has been done to a certain degree at other grounds in our and other countries.

Then we are sorting out the housing problem at the same time,

If you had six flats on each floor and 12 floors that is 72 units X  4  =   288 units.

That's half the number required so we only have to find space (  at P.P.  ? ) for the other half.

Just a thought.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 789
79 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.