Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 193 Guests

New Stadium Rumour

This thread currently has 117,595 views. Print
79 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
realist
August 27, 2018, 1:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from ginnywings
The Council ruled Freeman Street out as recently as April. It's not big enough.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-town-stadium-freeman-street-1463482

Maybe not big enough for the full Fenty vanity project but more than enough size for a modern stadium with facilties for 7 day income streams. MK Dons was superb and would fit there easily.

A few beers down Freemo, fish and chips from the pee bung, and something "extra" if we win. What more could you want?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 789
FishyMcFishface
August 27, 2018, 2:05pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +40
Freemo site would be a great idea. Would regenerate the area and form a much needed ‘link’ between Gy and Clee. All we need is funding ! I understand the Arab billionaire Sheikh anvac is looking to invest in GTFC...he could put some freshness back into the club !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 789
grimsby pete
August 27, 2018, 3:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Freeman St is plenty big enough for the stadium and parking,

Training pitches and housing could be elsewhere.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 789
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 27, 2018, 4:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Knock down the lhs of Freeman st (looking from riby sq) from riby squate to the market.  There are no worthwhile shops or pubs and some of the buildings have been condemned around the tje old council tower block.  That will create plenty of room.
That whole are wants flattening and starting again.
Blank canvas

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 789
Marinerz93
August 27, 2018, 5:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The club has no idea how to engage the fan base, no idea that keeping the fans informed can keep the fans on board even if there are delays.

The club treats the fans like mushrooms, they keep us in the dark and feed us excrement.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 789
Rob_in_Grimsby
August 27, 2018, 5:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete
Freeman St is plenty big enough for the stadium and parking,

Training pitches and housing could be elsewhere.

The land the flats where on is not big enough to fit our current ground never mind a new ground with 4 modern stands. The land the  shops and carpark are also  not big enough and to throw another spanner in the works there are a few 100 council houses in the middle of both which are staying put.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 789
promotion plaice
August 27, 2018, 5:37pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

The Freemo site won't need car parking spaces, after Brexit we could rent the massive car parking area on the docks from ABP  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 789
golfer
August 27, 2018, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

The land the flats where on is not big enough to fit our current ground never mind a new ground with 4 modern stands. The land the  shops and carpark are also  not big enough and to throw another spanner in the works there are a few 100 council houses in the middle of both which are staying put.

Of course it's not big enough- but having said that there would be no need for car parks as we could park down Peaks Parkway and walk the rest of the way taking in the scenic Hainton Avenue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 789
Poojah
August 27, 2018, 6:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,422
Gold Stars: 1,499
The club appear to be slightly obsessed with a minimum 20 acre site to incorporate parking and training facilities. That’s all well and good, but we need to be open to making the odd concession in order to make it happen at all.

Brentford, situated in West London where land is both scarce and incredibly expensive are building a 17,500 stadium on a site of just 7.6 acres. Not only that, but it’s also awkwardly shaped with poor access meaning that a certain amount of architectural skill is required to make it viable (which actually lends itself to a finished product which is a lot more unique than your average, modern ‘bowl’.

Is the site ideal? Not at all, but what matters is this - it’s actually getting built.

I don’t know how big the site near Freeman Street is (a damnnsite bigger than 7.6 acres I’d imagine) but it’s an area screaming out for regeneration and what better ‘anchor’ for that than a community stadium?

With the proposed development of Freshney Place / riverhead, there’s an opportunity to really do something quite special with a large area which is currently an embarrassment to the town.

If Peaks Parkway is indeed dead in the water, and there’s certainly been nothing in the last 12 months to convince me otherwise, then we surely have to be looking at every possible way to make a Freeman Street stadium work. It might not be the ideal location, but the wider argument for it to be situated there surely outranks any other and I wouldn’t foresee anything other than unianimous public support.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 789
Jaws
August 27, 2018, 6:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Poojah
The club appear to be slightly obsessed with a minimum 20 acre site to incorporate parking and training facilities. That’s all well and good, but we need to be open to making the odd concession in order to make it happen at all.

Brentford, situated in West London where land is both scarce and incredibly expensive are building a 17,500 stadium on a site of just 7.6 acres. Not only that, but it’s also awkwardly shaped with poor access meaning that a certain amount of architectural skill is required to make it viable (which actually lends itself to a finished product which is a lot more unique than your average, modern ‘bowl’.

Is the site ideal? Not at all, but what matters is this - it’s actually getting built.

I don’t know how big the site near Freeman Street is (a damnnsite bigger than 7.6 acres I’d imagine) but it’s an area screaming out for regeneration and what better ‘anchor’ for that than a community stadium?

With the proposed development of Freshney Place / riverhead, there’s an opportunity to really do something quite special with a large area which is currently an embarrassment to the town.

If Peaks Parkway is indeed dead in the water, and there’s certainly been nothing in the last 12 months to convince me otherwise, then we surely have to be looking at every possible way to make a Freeman Street stadium work. It might not be the ideal location, but the wider argument for it to be situated there surely outranks any other and I wouldn’t foresee anything other than unianimous public support.

Great post.

I'm not sure why the training pitch(es) need to be at the same site as the Stadium? That'd really bring down the amount of space needed at the stadium. Have the stadium on Freemo and the training pitches on PP? Many teams train half an hour's drive away from the matchday stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 789
79 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.