barralad
May 31, 2018, 12:17pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ska face
I’d agree that the Trust needs to be more receptive of offers for help, and that there needs to be a clearer process internally, and visible to members (and potential members) externally, to demonstrate how offers for help can be taken forward.

In terms of opposing the checkatrade competition though, I’m not sure what else the Trust could do. They have publically opposed it, both at the time it was initially announced and then last season, a Trust rep effectively resigned from the board over the decision, they surveyed fans to back up their postion, and even supported a protest match which gained national publicity in opposition to the competition. I honestly don’t see what else the Trust could do, and the fact that Fenty wants support for it, despite all this, is surely a reflection on him and his ignorance rather than the Trust?

For me the biggest barrier to the Trust progressing is not only a lack of people wanting to help but being able to identify exactly what we want people to be able to do. I am a big supporter of getting individuals involved on an issue by issue basis. I'm rather hoping that what is happening with Mickey and Ska's involvement forms a sort of blueprint for all such future interactions between the Trust and those keen to make a difference. The advantages are huge-we get people who are prepared to commit big time for the duration of an exercise but who can then withdraw. Currently myself and a couple of others who are retired are in a better position than those who work full time but even we are limited by our private lives. We have had quite a few people express an interest but after having either come on board or attended a meeting have become disillusioned by a lack of tasks that suit their particular strengths. Sadly the day to day stuff is actually pretty mundane and isn't attractive to prospective helpers but it is this sort of stuff that we get queries over and unless we get our act together makes us appear unprofessional. The stuff about the survey is absolutely critical but in the meantime we have to carry on as normal..hence the discount already negotiated for Trust member season ticket holders and the stuff that Mickey and co are involved in which if even half of it comes off should make a big difference to a whole lot of people.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 133
Davec
May 31, 2018, 12:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from LH
Aaron you’re unintentionally causing a surge in new Trust members. When it comes to renewing people will ask themselves if they’d rather be on the Trust’s side or the side of Aaron Rattray and John Fenty.

Me and Fenty? I am not on Fenty's side at all, and I have never said I'm on Fenty's side, I have never posted anything on here which reads as I am on Fenty's side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 133
GrimRob
May 31, 2018, 12:44pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,418
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Bigdog

What absolute tosh Rob. The board members of the Trust put themselves up for election to represent the members. Hardworking as they are, they are not immune from criticism as much as they are not immune from praise for the work they do..

It's like saying, you can't criticise the Government if you're not an MP.

Makes me laugh that your forum/business is built on people offering opinions by way of a keyboard and you're not averse to calling them an often misused derogatory term..

FWIW, plenty of posters have offered help once they can see a clear direction the Trust is going in and if it matches their hopes and expectations for the club. A clear direction is taking time, and we will sadly have to be patient and see if we ever get one..

The MP analogy only goes so far because I suspect anyone relatively local who wants to get involved with the Trust probably can do, even to the extent of getting elected to some position.

Personally, I think this forum is as good way as any of communicating with the decision makers at the club and expressing opinions about most matters, as it's fairly clear they look at it at least some of the time. I suppose that makes me a keyboard warrior. But maybe I am biased....

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 83 - 133
GrimRob
May 31, 2018, 12:45pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,418
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Davec

Me and Fenty? I am not on Fenty's side at all, and I have never said I'm on Fenty's side, I have never posted anything on here which reads as I am on Fenty's side.

Are there really sides? Wings perhaps!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 84 - 133
Bigdog
May 31, 2018, 1:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GrimRob

The MP analogy only goes so far because I suspect anyone relatively local who wants to get involved with the Trust probably can do, even to the extent of getting elected to some position.

Personally, I think this forum is as good way as any of communicating with the decision makers at the club and expressing opinions about most matters, as it's fairly clear they look at it at least some of the time. I suppose that makes me a keyboard warrior. But maybe I am biased....

Fair play Rob..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 133
MuddyWaters
May 31, 2018, 1:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

For me the biggest barrier to the Trust progressing is not only a lack of people wanting to help but being able to identify exactly what we want people to be able to do. I am a big supporter of getting individuals involved on an issue by issue basis. I'm rather hoping that what is happening with Mickey and Ska's involvement forms a sort of blueprint for all such future interactions between the Trust and those keen to make a difference. The advantages are huge-we get people who are prepared to commit big time for the duration of an exercise but who can then withdraw. Currently myself and a couple of others who are retired are in a better position than those who work full time but even we are limited by our private lives. We have had quite a few people express an interest but after having either come on board or attended a meeting have become disillusioned by a lack of tasks that suit their particular strengths. Sadly the day to day stuff is actually pretty mundane and isn't attractive to prospective helpers but it is this sort of stuff that we get queries over and unless we get our act together makes us appear unprofessional. The stuff about the survey is absolutely critical but in the meantime we have to carry on as normal..hence the discount already negotiated for Trust member season ticket holders and the stuff that Mickey and co are involved in which if even half of it comes off should make a big difference to a whole lot of people.

Whilst I get the majority of what you say Barra, isn't the biggest problem that the supporters who may have something to bring to the Trust may not be wholly sure of where the Trust currently stands in its' relationship with the board. I'm all for positivity and hope that the GTFC board will start to engage with the fanbase in a much more positive way but, at present, it just seems that the Trust doesn't have enough say and that the board will always get their own way.

I think what the Trust needs to decide is whether it has a greater influence on or off the board and whether it is really delivering on its' core principles.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 133
barralad
May 31, 2018, 3:49pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Whilst I get the majority of what you say Barra, isn't the biggest problem that the supporters who may have something to bring to the Trust may not be wholly sure of where the Trust currently stands in its' relationship with the board. I'm all for positivity and hope that the GTFC board will start to engage with the fanbase in a much more positive way but, at present, it just seems that the Trust doesn't have enough say and that the board will always get their own way.

I think what the Trust needs to decide is whether it has a greater influence on or off the board and whether it is really delivering on its' core principles.

At the moment I'm struggling to think of a situation where it would be possible to have meaningful influence away from the Board. When I talk to fans of other trusts they generally think we are lucky to have a platform at the heart of the club where fans issues can at least be raised. I know people will point to the "big" decisions like the Checkatrade and say well a fat lot of good the Trust were but other matters (like the recent discount for S/T holders) came about because Jon Wood was on hand to fight our corner at a meeting which took place after the County game. Anyone who thinks that would just have happened anyway doesnt begin to understand the dynamic. Virtually all the stuff going on behind the scenes at the moment is underpinned by our ability to call on Jon in the boardroom to escalate matters should the need arise.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 133
MuddyWaters
May 31, 2018, 4:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

At the moment I'm struggling to think of a situation where it would be possible to have meaningful influence away from the Board. When I talk to fans of other trusts they generally think we are lucky to have a platform at the heart of the club where fans issues can at least be raised. I know people will point to the "big" decisions like the Checkatrade and say well a fat lot of good the Trust were but other matters (like the recent discount for S/T holders) came about because Jon Wood was on hand to fight our corner at a meeting which took place after the County game. Anyone who thinks that would just have happened anyway doesnt begin to understand the dynamic. Virtually all the stuff going on behind the scenes at the moment is underpinned by our ability to call on Jon in the boardroom to escalate matters should the need arise.

Re the bit in bold, I take it by that you don't mean the clubs where the Trust is running the club. But then, according to some, The Fishy runs GTFC!  
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 133
Caesar
May 31, 2018, 5:55pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from 1mickylyons

A good balanced post and you are of course right to ask questions like we did.

I don`t speak for the Trust obviously but it was clear to me at least quite a few things have not been followed up I suspect your London Branch may have been victim to this and sadly it will all boil down to the lack of bodies they have to do endless tasks that to a degree will have been prioritised? I would urge you please don`t give up and if you want to PM me your details I will make sure they get to Dave Roberts personally and it sounds to me like a brilliant idea with some very obvious potential. I am hopeful the MT will see an influx of new members and helpers over coming Months and this will see fans like yourselves get some long overdue answers.UTM

Thanks for the offer, in fairness Dave Roberts has already responded to an email I sent detailing some next steps. Have not read it properly yet as have had ppl hovering over my screen all afternoon but really appreciate people taking the time to respond.

I get some of what is said regarding a seat at the table in the GTFC board room, but I think if we are set on regime change, which I feel needs to happen, then why be there? Is the discounted season ticket a price worth paying? Certainly isn't worth £35,000. And that also is what I meant by likening the Trust to a membership of a Premier League club rather than investing to secure the future of our club.

Still hopefully I am just expecting too much too soon and certainly hope you are right with answers and new active members.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 133
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.