bax
May 30, 2018, 12:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Cloudy

is that the guy that used to be a supporter of the club whilst involved with the Trust but doesnt go anymore?

I wasn’t going to get involved in this again as I’ve said my piece previously, but just to correct this. Always a supporter, through thick and thin. All Town aren’t we? But I don’t have to agree with the way the club is run and I’m certainly not a sheep. Which is why I’m on the outside now. Undecided if I will get a season ticket, will certainly go to games and support the manager and the players but not the regime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 133
Bigdog
May 30, 2018, 1:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I gave up on the council decades ago..

I gave up on the board years ago..

I gave up on the Trust months ago..

And I gave up on the will and principles of our fanbase a few weeks ago..

Project "Grimsby Town - The Bigger And Brighter Future" is over..

Every thread on the subject is just a running commentary on its eventual demise..

When you've got a council whose big idea for regeneration you just know is not going to make a blind bit of difference to the town in twenty years time, and will just end being a rough no-go area and an extension to the Marshes. When you've got a football club that in the year of 2017 proudly announces that the players have now got Sky TV at Cheapside. When you've got a Trust board that seems to represents their own personal views and seems closer to the club than the fans it's supposed to represent. And when you have half the fanbase choosing to forgive the board for all their pretty damning sins over the past couple of years and delivery of nil progression in nearly two decades in return for a couple of years of Jolley..

You just know it's the beginning of the end.. it's just a case of how long..

In the grand scheme of things, it's just a load of well meaning people being busy at achieving nothing that's progressive and sustainable..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 133
davmariner
May 30, 2018, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Quoted from ska face

What happens to the almost 15% of club shares they the Trust owns then, once it “dies a natural death”? Bought by Fenty? Given away? How is that in the interest of the fans?

Because we’re really feeling the benefit of the Trust owning those shares aren’t we? Whilst the Trust continue to be the stooges of JF then those shares are irrelevant. The Trust undermined any chance of having any real say when they gifted JF Mike Parker’s shares.

As far as I’m concerned when the Trust eventually falls apart then they should put those shares up for sale for a nominal price to other potential investors.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 133
ska face
May 30, 2018, 2:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
So rather than work towards a stronger voice for fans, give up and sell the shares to any fornicator, potentially someone who doesn’t care at all about the fans or the club.

Sounds a good idea to me.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 133
davmariner
May 30, 2018, 2:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Quoted from ska face
So rather than work towards a stronger voice for fans, give up and sell the shares to any fornicator, potentially someone who doesn’t care at all about the fans or the club.

Sounds a good idea to me.

As I outline above, there’s a clear reason why the Trust isn’t working and is dying a slow death.

We currently have an owner who claims to care about the club yet has systematically mismanaged it during his tenure as owner/chairman so I’m afraid that in itself goes against your logic.

No one is saying sell shares to anyone, but I think most people know that Fenty’s time is up, so why shouldn’t the Trust get the ball rolling and try and attract outside investment? They spend a lot of time saying how they don’t have the knowhow or expertise to steer the club so why not get the ball rolling and facilitate someone who does and can?

Clearly the status quo isn’t working, and the Trust is merely an extra arm of John Fenty. What good is that to the fans or the future of the club?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 133
grimsby pete
May 30, 2018, 2:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from bax

I wasn’t going to get involved in this again as I’ve said my piece previously, but just to correct this. Always a supporter, through thick and thin. All Town aren’t we? But I don’t have to agree with the way the club is run and I’m certainly not a sheep. Which is why I’m on the outside now. Undecided if I will get a season ticket, will certainly go to games and support the manager and the players but not the regime.

What about that thing you were going to tell us at the end of the season Bax ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 133
ska face
May 30, 2018, 4:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from davmariner

As I outline above, there’s a clear reason why the Trust isn’t working and is dying a slow death.

I must have missed that. You’ve intimated that it isn’t working but haven’t really explained why.

Quoted Text
We currently have an owner who claims to care about the club yet has systematically mismanaged it during his tenure as owner/chairman so I’m afraid that in itself goes against your logic.

What logic? Not sure what point you’re trying to make there.

Quoted Text
No one is saying sell shares to anyone

Well who would you sell to then? Perhaps a local businessman, self-made multimillionaire, massive employer in the area and who also happens to be a massive GTFC fan? Sounds perfect doesn’t it?

The only people who truly have the interest of the fans at heart is the fans. Here you already have a body set up to do that, with a significant shareholding, and you’re happy to sit back and “let it die”? What an oddly defeatist attitude.

Quoted Text
but I think most people know that Fenty’s time is up, so why shouldn’t the Trust get the ball rolling and try and attract outside investment?

Perhaps because...

Quoted Text
they don’t have the knowhow or expertise to steer the club
?

Ultimately the club and specifically John Fenty need to take some responsibility here. It is not the job of the Trust to sell the club - they couldn’t if they wanted to while JF holds the controlling stake. If Fenty is really keen on selling the club he has to make it a more attractive investment by improving standards, increasing turnover and removing barriers to potential investment - namely his loans, which he insists on being repaid in full, and his personality.

Quoted Text
Clearly the status quo isn’t working, and the Trust is merely an extra arm of John Fenty. What good is that to the fans or the future of the club?

You’re right, the status quo isn’t working, so you want to jack it in? Pathetic really. The point of a member led organisation is that its actions are led by its members. There are a million problems that I have with the Trust personally, but the biggest problem they face is apathy, and this attidue of wanting to roll over by some fans is shameful. The Trust needs to be stronger and move faster, but members need to play their part as well.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 133
friskneymariner
May 30, 2018, 4:22pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
You know what the answer is, join and offer to join the Trust board.  You stand a better chance of changing things from within than from the outside.

As I keep saying better to be outside the tent p**ssing in,  than inside being p**ssed on.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 133
friskneymariner
May 30, 2018, 4:26pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
I think the trust needs to think about what it wants to achieve.  
Social media tells the Club what the supporters views are, and they are wide and varied.  This is the trouble, everybody has their own opinion and wishes as to how the trust proceed.
If it ( the trust) tries to compromise and encompass everyone's opinions it is seen as weak and wishy washy by all.  If it goes one way or the other, half the membership feels disenfranchised.  It needs to keep open channels of communication with the Club, and as we all know, if we rock the clubs boat, these channels are very quickly severed.
The Trust is in an insidious situation, They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  The days of the old supporters club are long gone.
I don't know what the answer is, but I do feel we are better off with it than without it.

Think is more than half the members that feel disenfranchised,perhaps the Trust might like to a survey,but then again probably would not like the outcome.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 133
MuddyWaters
May 30, 2018, 4:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ska face

You’re right, the status quo isn’t working, so you want to jack it in? Pathetic really. The point of a member led organisation is that its actions are led by its members. There are a million problems that I have with the Trust personally, but the biggest problem they face is apathy, and this attidue of wanting to roll over by some fans is shameful. The Trust needs to be stronger and move faster, but members need to play their part as well.

And why is there apathy? The Trust board is now dominated by people known to support the stewardship of JF, the Trust lost the only opportunity it had by voting shares back in JF's favour and the Trust continues to pay 30k per annum to sit on a board in which it has no say. Add that to the fact that JF calls the most important achievement of the Trust (Operation Promotion) the worst thing that happened to the club, and you wonder why there's apathy?

Much as I'm a fan of Michael Jolley and will continue to be a fan of the club, we got him as 2nd/3rd choice of the board (depends who you listen to) and we may just have got lucky rather than clever. Nothing that goes on above his level inspires me with any confidence that the board suddenly know what they are doing and the latest minutes from the Trust meeting are their equal.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 133
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.