barralad
May 31, 2018, 9:35am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Cloudy

I don't go, and have no plans to go to any Checkertrade trophy games BUT Mr Rutter and anyone else has the right of an opinion.  Just because he is part of the Trust doesn't mean he has to change his opinion.

The issue is that The Trust had said they are against the Checkertrade Trophy. End of discussion for me but some want to find anything to beat the Trust with.

People post about The Trust being in the pocket of JF and being puppets. How do they KNOW? They don't!

What if the meeting with SD was about removing themselves from the Club board, handing back the bars or launching a takeover bid? Wouldn't it be best to seek advice from a professional group with access to people skilled and experienced in such areas? If legal issues are involved they won't be able to go public until advised to do so.

I don't know what is going on, but it seems other than Barralad, nor does anyone else except for those making things up.

I am very frustrated about the time that has elapsed since the survey but it could be that there are perfectly acceptable reasons for that just as it may be that they just don't want to rock the boat and don't intend acting on the results.

Thanks for this Cloudy. It has raised a point that being perfectly honest I didn't consider was in any doubt. If people do not accept that our meeting with S.D. was to map out the way forward given the survey results may I ask what they DO think it was for? The only clear steer given to us by the survey was that a majority of people who completed the survey were unhappy about us paying £30,000 for a place on the Board. Every other issue was far less clear cut. S.D. are helping us to work through the possible consequences of not paying money over-some of which conflict directly with some fans wishes. Personally I can quite happily oppose our participation in the Checkatrade but am far less certain about removing our presence from the internal workings of the club. The time I spent at the meeting with S.D. was probably the most valuable time I've spent in my six years on the Trust Board.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 133
Caesar
May 31, 2018, 10:28am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Reading many of the replies on here I am not sure people really do appreciate the Trust or the effort and time volunteers put in to try and make things better? Yes of course they get things wrong BUT they are at the very least trying to make a lot of off field wrongs to right on our behalf.Last week a Monday Night after a full day at work 3 Trust Reps met some supporters who expressed many of the same concerns voiced here basically these supporters challenged (not sure if that`s the right word but) them to come and speak face to face.This meeting lasted 3 hours and wrapped up at 9pm and the only thing the Trust guys got was another load of work to follow up.They didn`t seem to mind ,they seemed to accept this was their role in trying to help the Club move forward off the field? The supporters got some answers but not all of them,they got assurances questions would be asked and answers would follow.I was one of those supporters I am not known for my patience but it was an eye opener just how difficult these people have it when it comes to trying to effect change on our behalf. I didn`t want to BUT I ended up offering to help in any way I can.The Trust might not be perfect but for those that want change this is the best available option to seek it.Regarding the Trust Board if it`s p1ss weak or you don`t like one of them etc vote them off but be prepared to stand up and be counted.We all can criticise but can we do any better?  The fans of this football club are the very best and they have proved it time and again Pontoon Stand,Joe Waters,Ivano Bonetti and OP off the field and sold out away ends virtually everywhere we go.The fans are the only ones that can drive this Club forward and the way to do that is fill the ground back the team and manager.The MT have a membership on or around 25% of the average gate so the other 75% need to get on board then you will have some sway.The problems from last season can`t be brushed under the carpet they run too deep however to get the best from what we do have we must bypass these and move on .UTM

I do fully appreciate the effort and time volunteers dedicate to make things better. I preface every comment I make with that level of respect and genuine thanks for what they have done. However not every criticism of the way the Trust is working can be brushed away as 'they are volunteers' and 'why don't you take part then'. I personally want to take part but am limited by location and budget. I have offered to help in any way I can at a distance, twice suggested helping to form a London branch of the Trust to help arrange events and fund raise, although nothing ended up coming from this. However my inability to do more (and I will happily concede I doubt I could do a better job anyway) doesn't stop me from saying openly I disagree with how it is being run.

For the club to even ask the Trust board to back b-teams suggests to me that not enough opposition to b-teams is being expressed to be honest. And we can't bypass the problems of last season, to push the analogy to breaking point bypassing it will simply put us on a ring-road, we need to go forward and that means overcoming the problems from last season. I don't believe there is any desire or drive from the Trust to this. It is arguable if that desire and trust exists in the fanbase at all, However the Trust for me is too scared to lose the influence it feels there is with the GTFC board in the current situation. I accept I am not privy to the inner workings of the Trust and am simply interpreting from what I see and hear from other sources. And thanks Barra for responding on here and shedding some light. I hope my view on the Trust is wrong, but I simply don't believe the change I want to see can happen within the framework of the Trust at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 133
GrimRob
May 31, 2018, 11:15am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,413
Gold Stars: 113
It's all very well being a keyboard warrior but if you are not prepared to go into battle, don't criticise those who are.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 72 - 133
LH
May 31, 2018, 11:16am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,528
Gold Stars: 173
Aaron you’re unintentionally causing a surge in new Trust members. When it comes to renewing people will ask themselves if they’d rather be on the Trust’s side or the side of Aaron Rattray and John Fenty.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 133
1mickylyons
May 31, 2018, 11:22am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Cloudy
Interesting, thanks for posting 1ML

This had to be told you will have seen me be critical of the Club and Trust numerous times over many year`s.Like all other Town fans I want my Club to be the best they can be and clearly we have issues with the constant failure to fulfil our potential off the pitch let alone on it. I see things can be made better in many aspects of the day to day running of the Club which in turn will make it more customer friendly. In 2018 GTFC need to realise supporters can`t be taken for granted and they won`t simply rock up and part with hard earned money for nothing. I think we have taken the first few tentative steps on a new path and I for one urge ALL Town`s supporters past and present to give this one final push.Let`s despite our better judgement go to the Well one more time give the football club our unconditional support and if we have any repetition of last Season`s antics demand those responsible leave once and for all.If the fans call a truce and the Club respond positively instead of taking us for granted we could really do some damage in League 2 next season we`ve got the Manager let`s back him and he will get us where we want to be.GTFC and the Mariner`s Trust need OUR help both parties have lost there way and we the fans have a moral dilemma of letting them sink or swim.I can criticise both parties all day long it won`t help and it won`t change anything BUT by genuinely offering to help just maybe I can make a difference I hope 4k+ other fans feel the same ONE LAST TIME.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 133
Bigdog
May 31, 2018, 11:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GrimRob
It's all very well being a keyboard warrior but if you are not prepared to go into battle, don't criticise those who are.

What absolute tosh Rob. The board members of the Trust put themselves up for election to represent the members. Hardworking as they are, they are not immune from criticism as much as they are not immune from praise for the work they do..

It's like saying, you can't criticise the Government if you're not an MP.

Makes me laugh that your forum/business is built on people offering opinions by way of a keyboard and you're not averse to calling them an often misused derogatory term..

FWIW, plenty of posters have offered help once they can see a clear direction the Trust is going in and if it matches their hopes and expectations for the club. A clear direction is taking time, and we will sadly have to be patient and see if we ever get one..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 133
ska face
May 31, 2018, 11:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
I’d agree that the Trust needs to be more receptive of offers for help, and that there needs to be a clearer process internally, and visible to members (and potential members) externally, to demonstrate how offers for help can be taken forward.

In terms of opposing the checkatrade competition though, I’m not sure what else the Trust could do. They have publically opposed it, both at the time it was initially announced and then last season, a Trust rep effectively resigned from the board over the decision, they surveyed fans to back up their postion, and even supported a protest match which gained national publicity in opposition to the competition. I honestly don’t see what else the Trust could do, and the fact that Fenty wants support for it, despite all this, is surely a reflection on him and his ignorance rather than the Trust?
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 133
1mickylyons
May 31, 2018, 11:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Caesar

I do fully appreciate the effort and time volunteers dedicate to make things better. I preface every comment I make with that level of respect and genuine thanks for what they have done. However not every criticism of the way the Trust is working can be brushed away as 'they are volunteers' and 'why don't you take part then'. I personally want to take part but am limited by location and budget. I have offered to help in any way I can at a distance, twice suggested helping to form a London branch of the Trust to help arrange events and fund raise, although nothing ended up coming from this. However my inability to do more (and I will happily concede I doubt I could do a better job anyway) doesn't stop me from saying openly I disagree with how it is being run.

For the club to even ask the Trust board to back b-teams suggests to me that not enough opposition to b-teams is being expressed to be honest. And we can't bypass the problems of last season, to push the analogy to breaking point bypassing it will simply put us on a ring-road, we need to go forward and that means overcoming the problems from last season. I don't believe there is any desire or drive from the Trust to this. It is arguable if that desire and trust exists in the fanbase at all, However the Trust for me is too scared to lose the influence it feels there is with the GTFC board in the current situation. I accept I am not privy to the inner workings of the Trust and am simply interpreting from what I see and hear from other sources. And thanks Barra for responding on here and shedding some light. I hope my view on the Trust is wrong, but I simply don't believe the change I want to see can happen within the framework of the Trust at present.

A good balanced post and you are of course right to ask questions like we did.

I don`t speak for the Trust obviously but it was clear to me at least quite a few things have not been followed up I suspect your London Branch may have been victim to this and sadly it will all boil down to the lack of bodies they have to do endless tasks that to a degree will have been prioritised? I would urge you please don`t give up and if you want to PM me your details I will make sure they get to Dave Roberts personally and it sounds to me like a brilliant idea with some very obvious potential. I am hopeful the MT will see an influx of new members and helpers over coming Months and this will see fans like yourselves get some long overdue answers.UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 133
grimsby pete
May 31, 2018, 12:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
The main problem  is Fenty,

Fans are not happy with him and the board so they take it out of the trust as well,

Lets hope MJ  brings the feel good factor back to the club with a bit of success,

Fenty remains in his silent mode and everybody is happy,

We could be playing Ipswich and Hurst in the championship in a couple of years,

Well we can dream can't we but some dreams do come true.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 133
grimsby pete
May 31, 2018, 12:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from 1mickylyons

A good balanced post and you are of course right to ask questions like we did.

I don`t speak for the Trust obviously but it was clear to me at least quite a few things have not been followed up I suspect your London Branch may have been victim to this and sadly it will all boil down to the lack of bodies they have to do endless tasks that to a degree will have been prioritised? I would urge you please don`t give up and if you want to PM me your details I will make sure they get to Dave Roberts personally and it sounds to me like a brilliant idea with some very obvious potential. I am hopeful the MT will see an influx of new members and helpers over coming Months and this will see fans like yourselves get some long overdue answers.UTM

They had better get some more membership cards ordered then Micky  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 133
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.