10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
April 17, 2018, 9:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
A non-league football club and a second tier rugby club get £3 million towards a new stadium from their local authority...

[url]https://cornwallreports.co.uk/by-69-votes-to-41-cornwall-council-gives-3-million-to-the-truro-stadium-project/#comments[/url]

Only 6k capacity but can be extended. Nice to have local authority support instead of blocking at every stage...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 97
MuddyWaters
April 17, 2018, 9:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
A non-league football club and a second tier rugby club get £3 million towards a new stadium from their local authority...

[url]https://cornwallreports.co.uk/by-69-votes-to-41-cornwall-council-gives-3-million-to-the-truro-stadium-project/#comments[/url]

Only 6k capacity but can be extended. Nice to have local authority support instead of blocking at every stage...

Was in Cornwall last week and went past the site - my colleague down there emphasised that it was a community project as opposed to a vanity project.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 97
KingstonMariner
April 17, 2018, 9:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Was in Cornwall last week and went past the site - my colleague down there emphasised that it was a community project as opposed to a vanity project.

Funding like that is more likely to come if we really were a community club. [cough fan owned. cough Trust].

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 97
grimsby pete
April 17, 2018, 10:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from realist

Gosh it is so easy to be critical when it doesn't affect you.

I was not pointing a finger at anybody just stating a fact.

I have an open field at the side of my bungalow which has plans for 200 houses,

Most in the area have objected but I have not,

People need to live somewhere. Half the village did not live here when we moved in I bet they were pleased we did not object then.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 97
Limerick Mariner
April 17, 2018, 10:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It is not a vanity project, only the nimbys would say that, it is more for rugby than football though - they are fanatical about it down there - if they got in the rugby prem I could see them getting 8-10k crowds like Exeter.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 97
KingstonMariner
April 17, 2018, 11:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

It is not a vanity project, only the nimbys would say that, it is more for rugby than football though - they are fanatical about it down there - if they got in the rugby prem I could see them getting 8-10k crowds like Exeter.

Cornwall's problem from the point of view of producing a good team in a national league (football or the other thing) is there's lots of small towns with their own clubs and identities but nothing big enough to generate  the crowds and income to compete nationally.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 97
Mrs Doyle
April 18, 2018, 4:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The massive problem is our "new stadium" is dependent on Retail outlets........Err...... retail is on its knees due to online shopping from massive distribution warehouses like Amazon who can knock goods out at prices high street retailers just can't do.

Grimsby have one of the worse records for shop closures (FACT) even high-end retail shops like Smiths gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 97
rancido
April 18, 2018, 7:56am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from grimsby pete

I was not pointing a finger at anybody just stating a fact.

I have an open field at the side of my bungalow which has plans for 200 houses,

Most in the area have objected but I have not,

People need to live somewhere. Half the village did not live here when we moved in I bet they were pleased we did not object then.

Like you say , you are in the minority when it came to objections.

Would you have the same attitude if it was a small business covering a large site with a large influx of visitors on 26 occasions throughout the year?
Or if there was a similar sized business already there when you moved there and it's impact on the surrounding areas had increased since you moved . If they wanted to increase their business by expanding to allow more " visitors " would you still not object.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 97
diehardmariner
April 18, 2018, 8:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,606
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
The massive problem is our "new stadium" is dependent on Retail outlets........Err...... retail is on its knees due to online shopping from massive distribution warehouses like Amazon who can knock goods out at prices high street retailers just can't do.

Grimsby have one of the worse records for shop closures (FACT) even high-end retail shops like Smiths gone.

I think the shop closure figures will be heavily weighted by the ridiculous rent that Freshney Place want to charge.  I believe it was well documented that WH Smiths were operating at a profit in Grimsby but weren't prepared to tolerate the rent-hike with no real justification for it.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 97
oldun
April 18, 2018, 8:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
The Great Coates fields are still empty. Just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.