grimps
April 16, 2018, 5:20pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
Like people have already said Freemo would be a great area to have a ground from the fans point of view , the pubs and shops would be bouncing on match day  but from a commercial pint of view I doubt they’d be able to make it work .
Nobody would want a house around that area and I doubt Franky and Bennys would want to have a restaurant round there with a few spice addicts roaming around outside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 97
Grim74
April 16, 2018, 5:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
I'm all for the PP development if it should ever happen, but I'd love to see it down freemo where visiting fans can experience the Grimsby culture, would be worth building it there just for the reaction of the Stuck up Gimp fans who find the streets of Cleethorpes rough! Seriously though it would be great for the local community the cafe's and the pubs etc it would certainly bring the place to life on a match day.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 97
immariner
April 16, 2018, 8:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
If it can happen in any way, shape or form, it simply has to happen down Freemo. Great for transport links,  in the heart of town, regeneration of the East Marsh, and potentially, a knock-on effect of regeneration of the docks. The thought of a soulless sardine can at PP depresses the hell out of me. All energy for this stadium needs to poured into Freemo before it's too late or it's categorically stated why it can't be there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 97
ginnywings
April 16, 2018, 8:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
But we've already been through the selection process and PP was chosen. Nobody has said it isn't still happening there, so until then...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 97
Vance Warner
April 16, 2018, 9:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,778
Gold Stars: 101
Maybe just maybe if JF departs in the summer Freemo could be back on the cards. Without a doubt the best option for all concerned if a way can be found to make it viable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 97
RichMariner
April 16, 2018, 10:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,133
Gold Stars: 209
The longer this drags on, the more time it gives fans the chance to fall out of love with PP and in love with Freemo.

The trend of building football stadiums on the outskirts of towns is dead. I know people will have their own opinions, but mine is that a new stadium at PP will not be the all-singing, all-dancing community hub that this town wants and needs.

It needs to be at the heart of the town, physically. So much time has been spent on viability studies but has anyone actually asked where it should be?

I appreciate some sites we love might not be viable but in equal measure I think there are serious practicality issues over PP that will make this potential move a huge mistake.

Freemo needs to be explored further, for sure. It needs vision, passion, belief and - most of all - patience. Bags of it. If any new stadium isn't built here it'll be a monumental miss. It's not just the football club that depends on it - it's the town as a whole.

I can't think of many things other than sport that brings people of a town together as one. Its value is massively underestimated.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 97
MarinerWY
April 16, 2018, 11:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 47
Freemo is definitely the place to for it in an ideal world. But no enabling development potential... I would absolutely love it there, I said as much when PP was first mentioned. As has been said it is well connected public transport wise, it would bring much-needed regeneration to the area and the economic benefit to local busness (rather than a massive intercourse-off Tesco or a load of sold-off residential properties with a Sizzler chan pub) would be substantial.

It should be a win-win for NE Lincs Council.

Worry that a Peakes Parkway stadium would end up like the Ricoh: shite away day unless you're planning on driving in and straight out again. I spent next to nothing in Coventry, time nor money wise as there was sod-all near the ground. The Tesco got a few quid mind.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 97
toontown
April 16, 2018, 11:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
i thought the local freemo councillor was quoted as directly opposing a stadium being built there - so doesnt sound like it would be welcome by the council? i thought a councillor of such an area would be falling over themselves to back such a huge development in their area but sums up our utterly dreadful local council for me. I think its been reviewed several times already hasnt it in the reports and it wasnt suitable, although i can see the appeal i fear it is PP or bust (in more ways than one).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 97
promotion plaice
April 16, 2018, 11:24pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from MarinerWY
Freemo is definitely the place to for it in an ideal world. But no enabling development potential ... I would absolutely love it there, I said as much when PP was first mentioned. As has been said it is well connected public transport wise, it would bring much-needed regeneration to the area and the economic benefit to local busness (rather than a massive intercourse-off Tesco or a load of sold-off residential properties with a Sizzler chan pub) would be substantial.

It should be a win-win for NE Lincs Council.

Worry that a Peakes Parkway stadium would end up like the Ricoh: shite away day unless you're planning on driving in and straight out again. I spent next to nothing in Coventry, time nor money wise as there was sod-all near the ground. The Tesco got a few quid mind.

I was led to believe the enabling development doesn't have to be on site, can be anywhere.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 97
KingstonMariner
April 16, 2018, 11:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The notion of the enabling being adjacent to the ground has been smashed already by the developers when they went in search of additional sites. So if it doesn't have to be adjacent it means sites previously rejected as being too small can be reconsidered.

The next issue with the size off the site are the training pitches and any other sports facilities and whether they have to be adjacent (whether its necessary or merely desirable). I can see the argument for personally.

Having looked at the current size of BP and the size shape and plot of land freed up by the demolition of Freemo Flats I don't think there is enough room there unless the other low-rise flats still standing get demolished. You need more space than BP in order to provide adequate circulation space to meet modern standards. Personally I would love it to go there (if not the Docks) but I doubt there's space without much more demolition.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.