10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
April 16, 2018, 10:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
I think hand on heart GTFC will be relocated within 5 years from the end of the current Season.The history of trying to relocate is soul destroying particularly for John Fenty who has put more time and effort into the project than he should have had to and the lack of support from various Councils and Councillors nothing short of disgraceful. ADF of whom I have been a fierce critic said to me probably 8 years ago the most likely place GTFC will get a stadium is the East Marsh and he was of the opinion the full Council would back that. Great Coates and PP have had no Unity upon the Council and sadly they might be better for the Football Club but as ADF said the Council have to base the decision on present and future.It will happen and it will be the docks,flats,freemo area PP is still a good possibility but it must now be moving into outsider territory?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 97
diehardmariner
April 16, 2018, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
It won't happen on the docks.  That's ABP land and they've no current appetite to develop it as such, different argument for a different day but that's sad because the potential for that marina area is huge - even in it's current state it looks impressive.

Always favoured the Freeman Site area.  Far more beneficial to the local community as a whole than the Peaks Parkway project.  The area around the flats coming down is absolutely massive, more than big enough to host a football stadium and other infrastructure.  

The talk I heard a few years back was that NELC were looking to consolidate all of it's buildings into a purpose built super-hub, probably financed by the sale of existing council owned buildings.  This super-hub would need to be somewhere central and on good transportation links, Riby Square end of Freeman Street ticks the boxes on that one.  However that area would simply be too big just for a council super-hub and there's not much desire for new homes in that part of the Town plus the chances of Debenhams coming in and deciding they want a new mega store there is slim to non-existent.  Can anyone think of another building project that would require good transportation links (both within the Town and from outside) and would be of a benefit to the community overall?

I suppose the issue with that idea is that we won't have the option of selling off land for houses?  I dunno, I'm not a developer but I know the location ticked far more boxes for my simple mind than anywhere else not to mention assist the regeneration of the East Marsh.  

I also suspect, like mentioned previously in this post, that this ship has now sailed.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 97
mimma
April 16, 2018, 12:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
When they were looking at sites for relocation, they looked at Freeman Street without the flats and came to the conclusion that the site is not big enough.

It's in the final report.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 97
diehardmariner
April 16, 2018, 12:48pm
Vodka Drinker
They deemed the area available as 'uncertain'.  Which basically means they didn't know/couldn't be bothered to find out.  The regeneration of that end of Freeman Street wouldn't just be where the flats are, it would have to be and needs to be much bigger than that.  Probably talking from everything north of Central Hall.  Either the council are serious about regeneration of that area or they're not.  

Whereas Peaks Parkway had 150 acres available, the exact amount required for the stadium, which unless I'm mistaken includes the extra acres for the housing.

The feasibility study is very poor and lazy in my opinion, example of such.  Freeman Street identified as 1.2miles away from Train Station (let's forget the fact it's practically on a train-line and two actual stops) but graded as Average for train access.  Peaks Parkway, 1.8 miles away is graded as Good train access.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 97
crusty ole pie
April 16, 2018, 2:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,327
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from mimma
When they were looking at sites for relocation, they looked at Freeman Street without the flats and came to the conclusion that the site is not big enough.

It's in the final report.

Plenty big enough for a stadium but not for the enabling projects Mr Fenty is so keen on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 97
headingly_mariner
April 16, 2018, 2:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from bluebottle

This was covered on the Burnsy programme on Friday. They where interviewing a freeman of Grimsby regarding the site involved. A stadium was mentioned and the gent being interviewed stated an approach had not been made, although if it was to recieve an enquiry it would be looked at. The main stumbling block would be the financing of the project.

It was said that houses in the PP area could be an enabling development for a stadium elsewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 97
headingly_mariner
April 16, 2018, 3:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I think hand on heart GTFC will be relocated within 5 years from the end of the current Season.The history of trying to relocate is soul destroying particularly for John Fenty who has put more time and effort into the project than he should have had to and the lack of support from various Councils and Councillors nothing short of disgraceful. ADF of whom I have been a fierce critic said to me probably 8 years ago the most likely place GTFC will get a stadium is the East Marsh and he was of the opinion the full Council would back that. Great Coates and PP have had no Unity upon the Council and sadly they might be better for the Football Club but as ADF said the Council have to base the decision on present and future.It will happen and it will be the docks,flats,freemo area PP is still a good possibility but it must now be moving into outsider territory?

Have the club put years of man hours and tons wasted finance in to two sites that were always undeliverable?

Those at the club don't seem to be interested in any regeneration project at the heart of the Town. Why is this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 97
RichMariner
April 16, 2018, 3:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I find the whole stadium story a very sad one.

It's dragged on for decades now and I feel like we've been strung along by a succession of people in power who either don't have the foresight or energy to deliver something that could be truly inspirational to the town.

If there was a true appetite for a new stadium then it would've been built by now. The lack of one today speaks volumes about the indecision and inertia of our local council.

Having said that, I'd rather have no new stadium and remain at BP - even if it inhibits our potential in the short term - than move to a new stadium in completely the wrong end of town with no heart and soul.

You can't build a community around something if it's not in the heart of the community.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 97
diehardmariner
April 16, 2018, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
I find the whole stadium story a very sad one.

It's dragged on for decades now and I feel like we've been strung along by a succession of people in power who either don't have the foresight or energy to deliver something that could be truly inspirational to the town.

If there was a true appetite for a new stadium then it would've been built by now. The lack of one today speaks volumes about the indecision and inertia of our local council.

Having said that, I'd rather have no new stadium and remain at BP - even if it inhibits our potential in the short term - than move to a new stadium in completely the wrong end of town with no heart and soul.

You can't build a community around something if it's not in the heart of the community.

Whilst you can't ignore the absolute fiasco around the original Great Coates stadium plans, there have been numerous variations of councils in the last 15 year with god knows how many Councillors coming and going.  Same for those in administrative power within NELC.  GTFC have had one man sit at the top of the table in that same period.

I'm not sure the council is the issue here, far from it.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 97
Marinerz93
April 16, 2018, 3:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from promotion plaice

On the plus side....even the dogs daren't hang around to shite around Freemo  

Have you seen the dogs around Freeman Street!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/0Uomvwo.jpg[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.