scrumble
April 17, 2018, 6:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from rancido
I've mentioned this before, there is no guarantee that the council would give planning permission for any major developments at BP.

I'm fairly certain it has come up in the past, but the club are not allowed to increase the height of the stands. Hell, if they can stop us playing drums past 8pm, we aren't going to get far with rebuilding the stadium

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 97
grimsby pete
April 17, 2018, 6:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I am certain that every house owner near the ground bought their house knowing there was a football club there,

We have had 31,000 and plenty of 20,000 + gates in the past,

So a 14/15,000 ground should not be a problem,

In fact it might even be an improvement for them.

Knock down the Findus and put a stand that reaches both corners but not as high,

BUT

There is somebody that are never happy.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 97
WesternMariner
April 17, 2018, 6:32pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 38
If you do your homework into Extreme Leisure it looks very much as though they've never actually developed anything. Sheffield Council have awarded them a contract to develop the old Parkwood ski centre so we'll see what comes of that but the other big project in Ebbw Vale which predates PP has got precisely nowhere and there's nothing else either built, under way or in the pipeline. I've said before that they seem to be all mouth and no trousers much as I'd like to be proved wrong.
There's no doubt that there is a large plot of development land going to be created at Freeman Street when the flats are demolished and with the political will the site could be further enlarged from the current Albion/Garibaldi/Thesiger and Kent Street boundary to Freemo itself north of the market and to include the area of the maisonettes on the corner of Kent Street and Thesiger Street. That really is a significant area of land sufficient to build a stadium and some supporting development (fast food etc). Anyone can see that by looking on Google maps and comparing the size of BP ( which we know is a small site but shows that the footprint of the stadium itself is not a problem).
Just imagine for a minute how fantastic a new stadium at Freemo could be, it fits the spirit and the heritage of the club and its supporters perfectly - frankly done properly it would be the flipping envy of the out of town biscuit tins built in the name of progress. Grimsby Town FC a successful club at a modern stadium in the heart of it's historic community? Practically in the shadow of the Dock Tower. Huge swathes of the support could walk to games, the transport links are just obviously far better, the regeneration aspect would be incredible - I could go on.
And all of the above are the reasons that it'll never happen it would take vision and drive and will and cooperation all of which are in short supply round these parts. It'll take more than John Fenty with his eye on a housing development and a bunch of wannabe southern snowboarders to make it happen. Wasted opportunity if you ask me.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 97
realist
April 17, 2018, 6:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

Gosh it is so easy to be critical when it doesn't affect you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 97
headingly_mariner
April 17, 2018, 6:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Tommy

That doesn’t suggest it can’t happen, it just suggests those at the club have no interest in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 97
rancido
April 17, 2018, 7:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from headingly_mariner

That doesn’t suggest it can’t happen, it just suggests those at the club have no interest in it.

.....and it's not included in the Freemo redevelopment plans!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 97
mimma
April 17, 2018, 7:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Just one point about the Telegraph article.

It states that there isn't the space for the stadium and training pitches. I thought that we already have training pitches in Waltham. Do we need to put them in the stadium site or are they including them to make Freeman Street a non starter?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 97
MuddyWaters
April 17, 2018, 7:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from mimma

It states that there isn't the space for the stadium and training pitches. I thought that we already have training pitches in Waltham. Do we need to put them in the stadium site or are they including them to make Freeman Street a non starter?

I think it would be prudent if a new site was approved to have all the facilities in one place. Cheapside is barely fit for purpose anyway and, from what I hear, has been out of use for long spells due to the wet weather.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 97
mimma
April 17, 2018, 7:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 97
rancido
April 17, 2018, 9:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am certain that every house owner near the ground bought their house knowing there was a football club there,

We have had 31,000 and plenty of 20,000 + gates in the past,

So a 14/15,000 ground should not be a problem,

In fact it might even be an improvement for them.

Knock down the Findus and put a stand that reaches both corners but not as high,

BUT

Like you said, in the past. Times have changed and more people travel to the match by car now. In the same token a lot of people will have bought houses knowing the ground was there but the traffic problem probably wasn't as bad then.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.