barralad
April 18, 2018, 11:41pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from immariner
Look at the plots of land Hull, Rotherham and Chesterfield have built their stadiums on. Not huge. Genuine question, why are our perceived needs different to theirs?

I've not been to Rotherham or Chesterfield's new grounds but I'll wager Hull's site is larger than 20 acres.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 97
Bigdog
April 19, 2018, 7:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from barralad

I've not been to Rotherham or Chesterfield's new grounds but I'll wager Hull's site is larger than 20 acres.

KC Stadium 34.2 acres

Rotherham's training facility measures 14 acres without including the stadium
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 97
immariner
April 19, 2018, 7:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from barralad

Sutprised by that, from roadside and Google maps, did not appear that large. Happy to be proved wrong.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 97
immariner
April 19, 2018, 7:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Bigdog

KC Stadium 34.2 acres

Rotherham's training facility measures 14 acres without including the stadium

Rotherham's training ground is away from the stadium isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 97
Bigdog
April 19, 2018, 8:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from immariner

Rotherham's training ground is away from the stadium isn't it?

Yes, as are most clubs in the League..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 97
ROKERITE
April 19, 2018, 11:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from barralad

The new ground site I find most baffling is Brentford's. Griffin Park, famous for having a pub on each corner holds nearly 13,000. The club are moving to a 7.6 acre site at Lionel Road. The initial capacity was going to be over 20,000 but has now been reduced to 17,500, with no possible expansion I'd presume. Brentford could well be a Premier League club soon. We all know finding land for a new stadium in London is hard but I cannot understand how the owner or supporters can be excited by such a move.
Moving from a ground that has been your club's home for a century is necessary if the new stadium will give a much higher capacity and income. The Bees are shifting for an increase of under 5,000. If I was a Brentford supporter I think I'd be very disappointed. They're going to have a rugby team sharing the new stadium too, which although being another source of income can bring problems with the pitch of course.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 97
moosey_club
April 19, 2018, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from immariner
Look at the plots of land Hull, Rotherham and Chesterfield have built their stadiums on. Not huge. Genuine question, why are our perceived needs different to theirs?

Probably backed by council funding and also the clubs own money in the first place......the club need to generate the money to actually build a ground as we have none of our own, hence why an enabling development is needed...hence why the club are saying that they need all the space and no coincidence that PP is towards arguably a more attractive area of town to attract housing developers who will get more £££ per house = more profit = greater incentive.

It all comes back to us not having the money to independently build our our ground, otherwise we could easily have been sat watching footy in a new stadium years ago.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 97
barralad
April 19, 2018, 1:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from moosey_club

Probably backed by council funding and also the clubs own money in the first place......the club need to generate the money to actually build a ground as we have none of our own, hence why an enabling development is needed...hence why the club are saying that they need all the space and no coincidence that PP is towards arguably a more attractive area of town to attract housing developers who will get more £££ per house = more profit = greater incentive.

It all comes back to us not having the money to independently build our our ground, otherwise we could easily have been sat watching footy in a new stadium years ago.

Alas all true. It's going back a bit now but I THINK that the K.C. was part of the funding Hull City council provided out of the windfall they got from selling off their city owned telephone network.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.