MuddyWaters
April 9, 2018, 10:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,238
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Dan
I enjoyed most of our seasons in non league, and our team in non league, more than I have this one in league 2. It's not so bad.

If non-league was so good, can I ask how many games in the six years gave you the same buzz as Saturday?
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 88
ginnywings
April 9, 2018, 10:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If non-league was so good, can I ask how many games in the six years gave you the same buzz as Saturday?

Scunny and Huddersfield in the cup, and Wembley for me. That's it.

I hated non league with a passion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 88
horsforthmariner
April 9, 2018, 10:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 9
I think there are some rose tinted spectacles going on here. Non league was garbage.

The first two seasons were truly god awful, I much prefer this season to Kempson, Ridley, Rob Duffey years -at least we are losing to proper footballing teams at the moment rather than losing say 5-0 to Braintree.

Our middle two seasons were made up of early promise before we played awfully towards the end of the season, before been justifiably spanked by Newport and then screwed by the Ref at Gateshead.

Our fifth season was our best season but we were Joyced. Our promotion season was great up until January then we were abysmal until the away leg at Braintree.

We probably had in total about 1 and half good seasons in non league.

Yes I prefer the likes of Disley, Tait, Arnold, Pearson, Omar and Podge to the present bunch but I much prefer the likes of Groves, Gilbert, Mendonca, Macca, Lever, Donovan, Futcher etc to Disley et al. If were going to get back to those heady days we need to stay up. Going down would be an utter catastrophe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 88
MuddyWaters
April 9, 2018, 10:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,238
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

Scunny and Huddersfield in the cup, and Wembley for me. That's it.

I hated non league with a passion.

That's about it for me too. Cup games against league opposition and the euphoric day that I hoped we'd put non-league behind us.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 88
arryarryarry
April 9, 2018, 11:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I only got the buzz in the last 5 minutes, the rest of it I thought oh excrement here we go again, never looked like scoring and the same old crap for the last 20 games.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 88
Ipswin
April 9, 2018, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Non league is excrement really really excrement at that , anyone says different is talking bollox

In that case Chesterfield and / or us should urine it and get back first time then

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 88
1mickylyons
April 9, 2018, 11:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Non League is hell for a fan of a long standing football league club like a Grimsby or Chesterfield.Yes you get the odd insight into such genuine people who love their Club they are Chairman and car park attendant (Braintree FC) that gives you a warm glow.However you then get less than double figures for away fans attending fixtures at your ground or a Play off semi final versus in our case I think 4 of and not one set of away supporters could muster even 400 and you realise you shouldn't flipping be here it`s truly soul destroying.Non League suits FGR I wouldn`t be bothered about them they have had a taste of the league and that will do them .Barnet have been around now for a while in League 2 and I have no gripe with them but I would rather they went than a Chesterfield or Port Vale personally.Then the other side of me says no let them have a taste of non league we had to suffer.Lincoln and Tranmere much like Grimsby and Luton before them made a lot of noise about bouncing straight back and in all those cases the fans were wrong.You get nothing given no favours and god awful referees etc and when you see what happened to York,Darlo,Stockport and however many more you realise it`s a very dangerous trap.I wish you goodluck in your fight for survival as long as it`s not at Grimsby Towns expense we have done our time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 88
Dan
April 9, 2018, 11:50am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Welling 0 - 4 Grimsby

9th Jan 2016    

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 88
mariner91
April 9, 2018, 12:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Dan

Welling 0 - 4 Grimsby

9th Jan 2016    

There were quite a few individual games that were really enjoyable but that is likely to be the case if you're winning and taking a large, noisy following. However, the lows were really low and it was awful watching us draw at home to Guiseley with their 12 fan following or having Gateshead believe they had some bizarre rivalry with us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield Fans Forum on the Town Game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.