This thread currently has 24,502 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
April 8, 2018, 9:14pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194

Good on  Spireite1866 ....proper supporter.......I hope we both stay up.

What year was it that we was the only team to beat them at home........ twice.....I went to the cup game.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 88
Les Brechin
April 8, 2018, 9:25pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from promotion plaice

Good on  Spireite1866 ....proper supporter.......I hope we both stay up.

What year was it that we was the only team to beat them at home........ twice.....I went to the cup game.

1979/80 season, we beat them 3-2 twice, firstly in an FA Cup Replay and then in the league a couple of months later. Not quite sure which win it was but the 3 Kevin's (Drinkell, Moore and Kilmore) scored in one of the games, We went on to lose at Liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd Round and won the Old 3rd Division. 38 years ago and still our last Championship win!

In the FA Cup game we were losing 2-1 at 90 minutes but scored 2 injury time goals to win, The Chesterfield tannoy were announcing details of ticket sales for the next round game against Sheffield United during a late break in play.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 88
barralad
April 8, 2018, 10:00pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Les Brechin

1979/80 season, we beat them 3-2 twice, firstly in an FA Cup Replay and then in the league a couple of months later. Not quite sure which win it was but the 3 Kevin's (Drinkell, Moore and Kilmore) scored in one of the games, We went on to lose at Liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd Round and won the Old 3rd Division. 38 years ago and still our last Championship win!

In the FA Cup game we were losing 2-1 at 90 minutes but scored 2 injury time goals to win, The Chesterfield tannoy were announcing details of ticket sales for the next round game against Sheffield United during a late break in play.

The League game was one of the best performances of a great season. They were up there in the league table but we blew them away to go 3-0 up before Kev Moore (R.I.P.) got harshly sent off. It was backs to the wall stuff then but Town held out. I think that was the first time I thought we could win the league that year.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 88
tanga_the_indestructible
April 8, 2018, 10:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from barralad

The League game was one of the best performances of a great season. They were up there in the league table but we blew them away to go 3-0 up before Kev Moore (R.I.P.) got harshly sent off. It was backs to the wall stuff then but Town held out. I think that was the first time I thought we could win the league that year.

We both had really good sides that season. Arthur Cox was managing Chesterfield I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 88
Numanoid
April 8, 2018, 10:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +152
Gold Stars: 14
I was there and can remember a certain Ernie moss having a great game for them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 88
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2018, 10:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from barralad

Wasn’t that where we noticed and ultimately signed Phil Bonnyman?

They also had Alan Birch who was half decent if memory serves me right and the pair of them made a really good partnership.

Rumour has it that when Phil signed for us Birch was in the car outside BP waiting to come in afterwards and sign but for some reason backed out, the pair of them would have worked well for us.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 88
forza ivano
April 9, 2018, 12:18am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,147
Gold Stars: 265
Nice to hear from you spireite .always good to have sensible other pov s on the board.but don't be taken in by the kind words.non league is shiite.total and utter shiite.I felt embarrassed for being down there.the minuses make up a pages long list whilst the positives are actually embarrassing .warm friendly welcomes from teams that you never even realised existed, players that are so bad that you applaud it they produce an accurate cross or pass, the coverage on bt sports at times of days when no other footie is played in front of a couple of hundred people and the  crowning glory that is the fa trophy. You will hate it with a passion as we soon learnt to do.but whatever you do don't underestimate it. You have to live and feed in the swamp before you can escape it. Good luck
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 88
lukeo
April 9, 2018, 7:56am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
I have to slightly disagree with forza.. Yes it's not nice to be non league but your comments are a tad harsh. There's a lot of ex league clubs and half decent size clubs down there now, not to mention clubs on the rise. Admittedly I'd rather not end up back their but like previous people have posted at least the clubs where more welcoming and enjoyed our big followings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 88
dapperz fun pub
April 9, 2018, 8:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,905
Gold Stars: 82
Non league is excrement really really excrement at that , anyone says different is talking bollox
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 88
Dan
April 9, 2018, 8:33am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I enjoyed most of our seasons in non league, and our team in non league, more than I have this one in league 2. It's not so bad.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield Fans Forum on the Town Game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.