This thread currently has 24,506 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
April 5, 2018, 1:32pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174
I'm confused (I know it doesn't take much). Why do the Chesterfield fans keep referring to themselves as "Town"?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 88
Ipswin
April 5, 2018, 2:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from oochiad
It’s clear this team is not Jolley’s choice of player and who he has brought in has been an improvement. With the team he inherited he has also made improvements despite injuries that have occurred since his arrival. If you can’t see that.......

I don't see it no. We are still not winning games and thats all that counts, how nice and watchable the football is does not matter, 'improvements' as you term them do not sadly get any extra points.

My point was of course that while he is (still) losing, Jolley is excused any criticism as its 'all Slade's fault' but if he happens to win a game (and please God he will on Saturday) its suddenly Jolley's team and its all down to him

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 88
Abdul19
April 5, 2018, 3:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,553
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Les Brechin
I'm confused (I know it doesn't take much). Why do the Chesterfield fans keep referring to themselves as "Town"?

They were called Chesterfield Town about a million years ago. They had been Chesterfield FC before though I think  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 88
oochiad
April 5, 2018, 3:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 27
No Ipswin if we win I won’t be all ‘oh it’s Jolley’s team’ well done him, I’ll be Christ well after a few weeks work he’s managed to get a result out of that shower of shite. Do you really think any manager could come in and get the team to create chances (as Jolley has done) and expect the likes of Rose for example to miss an absolute sitter Stevenage to suddenly become Ronaldo? Are you one of those blokes who’ll be ‘I told you so’ if we go down or will you give Jolley any credit for the changes he’s made if we stay up? I feel like I’m waffling to no avail as you are so adamant of your view that no one could change it. At least we all want the same thing, a bloody win on Saturday! I can’t say I’m looking forward to it. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 88
Ipswin
April 5, 2018, 3:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from oochiad
No Ipswin if we win I won’t be all ‘oh it’s Jolley’s team’ well done him, I’ll be Christ well after a few weeks work he’s managed to get a result out of that shower of shite. Do you really think any manager could come in and get the team to create chances (as Jolley has done) and expect the likes of Rose for example to miss an absolute sitter Stevenage to suddenly become Ronaldo? Are you one of those blokes who’ll be ‘I told you so’ if we go down or will you give Jolley any credit for the changes he’s made if we stay up? I feel like I’m waffling to no avail as you are so adamant of your view that no one could change it. At least we all want the same thing, a bloody win on Saturday! I can’t say I’m looking forward to it. UTM

I will certainly give Jolley every credit imaginable if we stay up (but surely that is why he was employed.) In fact I'll be flipping amazed as well as delighted to eat humble pie.

But if we don't I won't excuse his failure to keep us up by blaming Slade, Fenty (hopefully) appointed him to avoid relegation A more experienced 'relegation-fighter' might have been a better choice and yes, in that respect I will say 'I told you so' because I have advocated a more experienced hand from the start

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 88
Les Brechin
April 5, 2018, 3:58pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Abdul19

They were called Chesterfield Town about a million years ago. They had been Chesterfield FC before though I think  

Maybe we should start calling ourselves "Pelham" then.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 88
HertsGTFC
April 5, 2018, 4:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Ipswin

I will certainly give Jolley every credit imaginable if we stay up (but surely that is why he was employed.) In fact I'll be flipping amazed as well as delighted to eat humble pie.

But if we don't I won't excuse his failure to keep us up by blaming Slade, Fenty (hopefully) appointed him to avoid relegation A more experienced 'relegation-fighter' might have been a better choice and yes, in that respect I will say 'I told you so' because I have advocated a more experienced hand from the start

Who did you expect Tony Pullis?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 88
Davec
April 5, 2018, 4:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't think Paul harsley is any experienced manager, just because he played hundreds of games as a player that doesn't mean he's and experienced manager... if we go down you will vent your spleen about Jolley but if it was Harsley who took us down you would say "tbf to Paul you can't blame him"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 88
KingstonMariner
April 5, 2018, 10:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Les Brechin

Maybe we should start calling ourselves "Pelham" then.  

Some haven't stopped.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 88
Ipswin
April 5, 2018, 10:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Davec

I don't think Paul harsley is any experienced manager, just because he played hundreds of games as a player that doesn't mean he's and experienced manager... if we go down you will vent your spleen about Jolley but if it was Harsley who took us down you would say "tbf to Paul you can't blame him"

If you care to plough through all the (many ridiculous) posts around the time Fenty was recruiting / interviewing a new manager you will see that I only favoured Harsley (rather than Jolley) on the basis that, if Fenty was hell bent on appointing a keen new (inexperienced) cheap man rather than an experienced hand used to fighting relegation, I wanted him not Jolley

My first choice would have been an experienced man rather than Jolley or Harsley

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield Fans Forum on the Town Game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.