arryarryarry
April 8, 2018, 11:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Spireite1866
Congratulations on most probably preserving your league status yesterday.

You can hopefully appreciate how bad we've had it aswell this season, we are absolutely awful on far too many occasions.

I stand by my initial thought that we were the only ones capable of winning the game during the first half. We created two or three very good chances and hats off to your keeper for the brilliant save denying Dennis towards the end of the first half.

Second half, however, we lost the game. We had no heart or desire, absolutely no quality and credit to your side for wanting it more and totally winning the second half.

I've not brought myself to look at the penalty decision again but from what I hear at our end, stone wall and no argument whatsoever.

It's not over but the fat lady is getting hydrated and warming herself up.

Best of luck going forward with sorting out your own ownership issues and hopefully we'll meet again soon. In the Football League.

On a side note, interesting take on the Family Stand at Blundell Park. They young uns are a bit lively!

I have made the point a couple of times that it was two poor sides but at times I thought your team were really bad and some didn't look up for it.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 88
Marinerz93
April 8, 2018, 11:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Spireite1866

You can hopefully appreciate how bad we've had it aswell this season, we are absolutely awful on far too many occasions.

I stand by my initial thought that we were the only ones capable of winning the game during the first half. We created two or three very good chances and hats off to your keeper for the brilliant save denying Dennis towards the end of the first half.

Second half, however, we lost the game. We had no heart or desire, absolutely no quality and credit to your side for wanting it more and totally winning the second half.

I've not brought myself to look at the penalty decision again but from what I hear at our end, stone wall and no argument whatsoever.

Best of luck going forward with sorting out your own ownership issues and hopefully we'll meet again soon. In the Football League.

On a side note, interesting take on the Family Stand at Blundell Park. They young uns are a bit lively!

When we went down to the conference there was quite a lot of Chesterfield fans howling and gloating that we dropped into non league as we were in some of your fans eyes a vile club with vile fans and then we got our league status back labelled us as tin pot. So for them I couldn't be more happier that if you do go down. On the flip side for genuine fans like yourself, I wouldn't wish non league on any club with league pedigree, non league gives you horrible groundings by sides with less fans than stewards and some highs with massive wins.

It does gives you a chance to rebuild but the desire has to be there and to take a hit of maybe a few seasons down there as it is horrendous to get out of, even with us being in a precarious position I would advocate a 3 up 3 down knowing how tough it is. One thing non league does have is hospitality is better than the league at most grounds and the clubs down there are followed by great fans, not glory hunters but people who cherish their local teams and you can only give them full respect to them for that especially if they have a premier league club near by as some of them do.

Best of Luck, I hope Barnet go down and you send FGR down, a truly horrible club top to bottom.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 88
ginnywings
April 8, 2018, 11:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Can only echo the thoughts of others. In an ideal world, FGR and Barnet will go back to their natural habitat, but it's not an ideal world and football is cutthroat, as it should be. Still a lot of twists and turns to come with relegation threatened sides playing each other in six pointers. You still have hope yet and it could go to the last minute of the last game, as it did for Newport last year. We have given ourselves a good chance now but i'd be a lot happier if Chesterfield didn't have those games in hand. Our saving grace could be that we have beaten all the other sides at the bottom, yourselves twice. Who you beat is as important as winning at this stage.

Good luck Spireite.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 88
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2018, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Marinerz93

When we went down to the conference there was quite a lot of Chesterfield fans howling and gloating that we dropped into non league as we were in some of your fans eyes a vile club with vile fans and then we got our league status back labelled us as tin pot. So for them I couldn't be more happier that if you do go down. On the flip side for genuine fans like yourself, I wouldn't wish non league on any club with league pedigree, non league gives you horrible groundings by sides with less fans than stewards and some highs with massive wins.

It does gives you a chance to rebuild but the desire has to be there and to take a hit of maybe a few seasons down there as it is horrendous to get out of, even with us being in a precarious position I would advocate a 3 up 3 down knowing how tough it is. One thing non league does have is hospitality is better than the league at most grounds and the clubs down there are followed by great fans, not glory hunters but people who cherish their local teams and you can only give them full respect to them for that especially if they have a premier league club near by as some of them do.

Best of Luck, I hope Barnet go down and you send FGR down, a truly horrible club top to bottom.

Agree with this, that is exactly how I felt wen we where in the Abyss, still some work for us to do I reckon to make sure we don't drop again.

The 3 up 3 down is interesting. In the past 2 up kind of made sense as many non league clubs probably didn't have the facilities, resource and infrastructure to stay up for any period of time e.g. he likes of Barnet and Dagenham, who i'll always see as non league big boys/yo-yo clubs .

Now though looking at The National League there are some long standing league clubs like Tranmere, Orient, Wrexham etc,, who could sustain being in the EFL as well as some non league clubs like Sutton & Borehamwood who have good sets ups and real potential to move forward, so maybe be the 3 up 3 down question needs to come back to the table? I doubt it will as it will need an EFL vote to agree it and "turkeys don't vote for Christmas".  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 88
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2018, 12:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Spireite1866

I'm not sure either side was capable of winning the game by scoring from open play, yes Macca made a good save in the first half but Hooper should have done better when he was one on one with your keeper. Clear chances where few and far between. I felt that both sides where poor in the final 3rd but I'm surprised that Dennis is not doing better for you as he has a bit of talent at this level.

We got a slice of luck after a moment of stupidity from your lad, quite easily the boot could have been on the other foot as it was a very tense game, your lads seemed to deal with nerves better in the 1st half than we did but our shape change after the break caught Jack out and he didn't really respond in any way.

Along with Barnet, FGR and Port Vale both of us look like poor in reality. We showed some steel yesterday but will still need a complete re-build in the summer.

IMHO I think we've still got a bit to do to be safe and we'll be nervous till it's mathematically sure. I hope things work out that FGR and Barnet go down. Barnet played Stevenage in a derby of sorts on Monday and took nothing like what you brought yesterday and FGR's numbers are embarrassing so in my mind you deserve better.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 88
TownSNAFU5
April 8, 2018, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,872
Gold Stars: 42
Both clubs are struggling on the pitch.  No coincidence then that the ownership and running of both clubs are in turmoil.  A fish rots from the head first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 88
Spireite1866
April 8, 2018, 5:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +101
Kind words, very much appreciated. And I'd like to place on record that I was most definitely not one of those gloating when you left the league. Nor when it happened to Mansfield, Lincoln, York, Hartlepool, Tranmere and so on.

The disappointing thing yesterday was the lack of fight from us. We know the quality isn't there but on a day like yesterday, there can be no excuse for not rolling up sleeves and getting dirty.

Louis Reed ( our no. 25 ) is probably the best footballer on the pitch yesterday. If we actually hold one, he's favourite for POTY. Considering he's a loan player and we've got a contracted player whose scored almost 20 goals this term shows how good he's been for us. Not yesterday, though. He was garbage, didn't want it one bit.

Dennis looked slow, unfit and barely interested. Very good effort with his weak right foot that your keeper pulled off a very fine save in the first half but other than that, garbage.

Lester bought on McCourt in the second half to try and add some support in a midfield that we were struggling to come second in. McCourt is renowned as being a hard nut tackler but I lost count of how many times he neshed a big challenge in the middle of the park. Your midfield wanted it, ours didn't.

I was there yesterday with my old man and my son. I've followed my club for 30 years, my old man 55 years and my son 4 years. All three of us came away experiencing the same thing for the first time. Our proud club surrendering without a fight. That is most definitely not acceptable.

It's not over, no. But I fear the lack of fight is what will ultimately see us enter the non league abyss.

However, it's a funny old game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 88
Caesar
April 8, 2018, 6:05pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from Spireite1866
Kind words, very much appreciated. And I'd like to place on record that I was most definitely not one of those gloating when you left the league. Nor when it happened to Mansfield, Lincoln, York, Hartlepool, Tranmere and so on.

The disappointing thing yesterday was the lack of fight from us. We know the quality isn't there but on a day like yesterday, there can be no excuse for not rolling up sleeves and getting dirty.

Louis Reed ( our no. 25 ) is probably the best footballer on the pitch yesterday. If we actually hold one, he's favourite for POTY. Considering he's a loan player and we've got a contracted player whose scored almost 20 goals this term shows how good he's been for us. Not yesterday, though. He was garbage, didn't want it one bit.

Dennis looked slow, unfit and barely interested. Very good effort with his weak right foot that your keeper pulled off a very fine save in the first half but other than that, garbage.

Lester bought on McCourt in the second half to try and add some support in a midfield that we were struggling to come second in. McCourt is renowned as being a hard nut tackler but I lost count of how many times he neshed a big challenge in the middle of the park. Your midfield wanted it, ours didn't.

I was there yesterday with my old man and my son. I've followed my club for 30 years, my old man 55 years and my son 4 years. All three of us came away experiencing the same thing for the first time. Our proud club surrendering without a fight. That is most definitely not acceptable.

It's not over, no. But I fear the lack of fight is what will ultimately see us enter the non league abyss.

I'll add to the hopes that we can both get out of it, however don't think we will, think one of us is going, also don't think it's over and done with yet. Hope you get a boardroom change soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 88
KingstonMariner
April 8, 2018, 6:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Hay, Spireite, we know exactly what you're going through. We've been through it once before and we have been experiencing the same thing. Nowt else I can really say, but I hope it's not us through the trapdoor this time. The ladder back up is very narrow and there's some pushy people with sharp elbows down there.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 88
Les Brechin
April 8, 2018, 9:06pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Spireite1866

I do hope you stay up mate and it's FGR and Barnet that go down. If you like visiting new grounds though then I did 17 new ones in our first season down there so that's one small crumb of comfort maybe!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield Fans Forum on the Town Game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.