April 6, 2018, 9:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Spireite1866
Spireite here in peace.

I'm not normally one to visit opposing teams message boards but due to the gravity of Saturday's fixture, curiosity got the better of me.

It seems there's a club in as much turmoil, both on and off the pitch, as my own.

Off the pitch, we've been riddled with scandal and are constantly being told our debt is rising and the current owner, who wants nothing more to do with us, is being forced into chucking cash in every month just to keep us in business. We're not quite sure what happened to the substantial transfer fees received for Darikwa ( to Burnley ), Morsy ( to Barnsley ), Clucas ( Hull for 1.2m then sell on received from his 16m move to Swansea ), Doyle ( to Cardiff ), Cooper ( to Leeds ) plus Paul Cook compo when he left for Pompey. Need I go on? Our club has been stripped and is on a cliffs edge.

On the pitch. Not much better really. Jack Lester is a club legend but he's taken on one hell of a task.

We are certainly a side capable of some lovely football and we've got, arguably, the best goalscorer in the division. Dennis has the thick end of 20 goals this term in a struggling side.
On the flip side, we have the softest underbelly and we've been bullied out of games time and time again this year.
Injuries have been a huge part of our demise this season but we've shown no heart or desire on far too many occasions and I fear this could be the case Saturday.

I honestly think we are the only side on Saturday that is capable of winning the game but I know far too well that we are more than capable of losing the game by rolling over.

I cannot wish you well for Saturday but I genuinely do not wish to see Grimsby leave the league. I'd much rather be playing yourselves than the likes of Forest Green, Crawley and Yeovil.

Unfortunately I think it's us or you.

Whatever happens I wish GTFC all the best moving forward with sorting their club out.

Cheers for that, sounds like you have some long term issues and survival this year might not mean you’ll move forwards next season, bit like us really whilst the current regime is around.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 88
Spireite1866
April 6, 2018, 7:33pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +101
Sounds like our allocation has gone now and it appears away tickets have been sold through Grimsby aswell so should make for a good atmosphere.

I'd be amazed if there aren't any off-field issues tomorrow, unfortunately, but I hope for a proper ding dong on the pitch, plenty of passion from two proud clubs and, obviously, a Spireites win.

Too many plastic Man Utd and Liverpool fans up our way who've got no idea what games like tomorrow mean to genuine football fans.

After tomorrow, the very best of luck. We've both got Forest Green to play so maybe it's possible for us both to escape.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 88
Swansea_Mariner
April 6, 2018, 9:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Ipswin

I've answered this excrement once but for the benefit of the thicko Welsh dwelling contingent who clearly have difficulty reading here it is just one more time:-

I only preferred Harsley to Jolley (I am not claiming he was in any way an 'experienced hand', although 500 plus professional appearances put Jolley's Barnsley Boys career in the shade) if Fenty was determined to commit relegation suicide by appointing a new inexperienced young manager.

My preferred choice would have been an established older Football League manager with experience in relegation battles, finishing bottom of the Swedish Premier League especially as that is where he started does not qualify.

If Jolley keeps us up I will be the first to eat humble pie but my concerns will remain about how he is going to fare next season with his own new squad. Even more worrying if he is managing in the National League

Total sense Harsley was your preferred candidate if Fenty fancied a bit of relegation...because it would be better to be relegated under him than Jolley I presume.  We obviously need a steady older hand just like... Slade.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 88
promotion plaice
April 6, 2018, 9:53pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Chesterfield forum now scraping the bottom of the the barrel......

http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=61567&st=0

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 88
KingstonMariner
April 6, 2018, 10:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Spireite1866

We know about the cost of the stadium, or the reported cost anyway.

The problem is the debt is reportedly not being reduced at all and we can't make ends meet.

The transfer fees we've supposedly received in the past few seasons for our level of football is staggering. Clucas was 1.2m then a further 1.6m as the sell on from his move to Swansea, Morsy 500k, Darikwa 500k, Doyle 750k, Cooper 600k.

Add to this we have staged two sell out concerts of Elton John and Tom Jones.

Of course we will still have debts on the stadium but there appears to be a black hole and it's taken millions from our club.

But isn't the stadium the major problem in the first place and/or is it the wage bill?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 88
KingstonMariner
April 6, 2018, 10:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

What you mean it echoes our situation?

Maybe we should do a joint protest like Orient and Blackpool did last season.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 88
ginnywings
April 7, 2018, 5:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Spireite1866
Spireite here in peace.

I'm not normally one to visit opposing teams message boards but due to the gravity of Saturday's fixture, curiosity got the better of me.

It seems there's a club in as much turmoil, both on and off the pitch, as my own.

Off the pitch, we've been riddled with scandal and are constantly being told our debt is rising and the current owner, who wants nothing more to do with us, is being forced into chucking cash in every month just to keep us in business. We're not quite sure what happened to the substantial transfer fees received for Darikwa ( to Burnley ), Morsy ( to Barnsley ), Clucas ( Hull for 1.2m then sell on received from his 16m move to Swansea ), Doyle ( to Cardiff ), Cooper ( to Leeds ) plus Paul Cook compo when he left for Pompey. Need I go on? Our club has been stripped and is on a cliffs edge.

On the pitch. Not much better really. Jack Lester is a club legend but he's taken on one hell of a task.

We are certainly a side capable of some lovely football and we've got, arguably, the best goalscorer in the division. Dennis has the thick end of 20 goals this term in a struggling side.
On the flip side, we have the softest underbelly and we've been bullied out of games time and time again this year.
Injuries have been a huge part of our demise this season but we've shown no heart or desire on far too many occasions and I fear this could be the case Saturday.

I honestly think we are the only side on Saturday that is capable of winning the game but I know far too well that we are more than capable of losing the game by rolling over.

I cannot wish you well for Saturday but I genuinely do not wish to see Grimsby leave the league. I'd much rather be playing yourselves than the likes of Forest Green, Crawley and Yeovil.

Unfortunately I think it's us or you.

Whatever happens I wish GTFC all the best moving forward with sorting their club out.

Yeah.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 88
Spireite1866
April 8, 2018, 11:01am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +101
Congratulations on most probably preserving your league status yesterday.

You can hopefully appreciate how bad we've had it aswell this season, we are absolutely awful on far too many occasions.

I stand by my initial thought that we were the only ones capable of winning the game during the first half. We created two or three very good chances and hats off to your keeper for the brilliant save denying Dennis towards the end of the first half.

Second half, however, we lost the game. We had no heart or desire, absolutely no quality and credit to your side for wanting it more and totally winning the second half.

I've not brought myself to look at the penalty decision again but from what I hear at our end, stone wall and no argument whatsoever.

It's not over but the fat lady is getting hydrated and warming herself up.

Best of luck going forward with sorting out your own ownership issues and hopefully we'll meet again soon. In the Football League.

On a side note, interesting take on the Family Stand at Blundell Park. They young uns are a bit lively!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 88
grimsby pete
April 8, 2018, 11:13am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
[quote=140339]Congratulations on most probably preserving your league status yesterday.

You can hopefully appreciate how bad we've had it aswell this season, we are absolutely awful on far too many occasions.

I stand by my initial thought that we were the only ones capable of winning the game during the first half. We created two or three very good chances and hats off to your keeper for the brilliant save denying Dennis towards the end of the first half.

Second half, however, we lost the game. We had no heart or desire, absolutely no quality and credit to your side for wanting it more and totally winning the second half.Quote

It's not over for either of us yet,

A win against Barnet next week should make us safe,

You have some winnable games to come so you still have a chance,

I would like either Barnet Port Vale and FGR  go down,

In fact you could send Barnet down in your last game while we send FGR down in ours,

Now that would be a great end of a bad season for both of us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 88
arryarryarry
April 8, 2018, 11:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from promotion plaice

Why are they scraping the bottom of the barrel, an old thread about the GTFC  fans forum then liking the twit of the week thread?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield Fans Forum on the Town Game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.